Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Well that’s odd.... 10:06 - Sep 10 with 2186 viewsNewcyBlue

I don’t really know how I felt yesterday. First proper run on land and it was the Great North Run.

Probably quite a stupid thing to do all things considered. Legs were a little stiff last night, but nothing outrageously sore. The sunburn was the thing that was hurting the most.

This morning, however, left ankle when walking down the stair. Bit of pain on impact with each step.

On to the run:

I told myself I was pacing myself, 12 minutes per mile was my plan for the whole of the run.

5k came in at 34 minutes 37 seconds (including stopping for a wee)
10k came in at 1 hour 12 mins 50 secs
15k was 1 Hour 54 mins 26 secs

Pacing myself would have meant
5k about 37 mins
10k about 74 mins
15k about 113 mins

It was between 15k and the end that seemed to have seen a deterioration, maybe it was the disappointment of not seeing Sebby where his Mum said he would be (which turned out to be a problem with the live track with my Garmin), or maybe that was just when I hit the wall.

Was it the additional effort early on of being slightly ahead that caused my deterioration? Was it running on an empty stomach? I don’t enjoy eating before big runs like that. Maybe some porridge would have helped with energy levels during the run?

Considering I’ve only done treadmill running in the lead up to the GNR, I think I can be quite pleased. Especially with the first 15k.

Thanks to everyone that has donated, I hope if you get the chance to come to the Great East Run on Sunday that you do. I’ll happily get the beers in at the end of the run too!

Poll: Who has been the best Bond?

Well that’s odd.... on 10:15 - Sep 10 with 2136 viewsWD19

You should be VERY pleased - it was a great effort.

Blowing up after 15km is entirely normal. It always hits me between 15-18km......and yes.....the lack of fuel is a big factor. You need to eat a few hours before......even if it means setting the alarm clock.

Try and get in a gentle, very slow, run in over the next few days to stop the rust setting in or next weekend will be murder.
Well that’s odd.... on 10:18 - Sep 10 with 2119 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

I imagine the soylent green stuff was out of the question due to toilet issues!
Well done Newcy, great achievement !

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

Well that’s odd.... on 10:20 - Sep 10 with 2113 viewsWeWereZombies

Well done, Newcy. And if it is any consolation I walked the last six miles of the only half-marathon I attempted - dodgy knee and lack of training. My body is built for grassy hillsides and rocky peaks, not road running.

I guess I missed your donation appeal during my festival hopping summer, any chance of repeating the Just Giving or whatever address?

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

Well that’s odd.... on 10:31 - Sep 10 with 2087 viewsElephantintheRoom

You seem to like overanalyzing your running so here's a useful stat from a double-blind study I saw at a medical conference many years back. If you run to keep fit you have to like it because stats from the long term Framingham study show that for every hour of jogging/running/sweaty timewasting, call it what you will, you live one hour longer than people who don't exercise. Conclusion you may as well not bother. Of course the study is skewed by the surprisingly high number of people who get run over whilst our jogging - but even so its food for thought.

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

Well that’s odd.... on 11:04 - Sep 10 with 2011 viewsitfcjoe

Nice one Newcy, I wouldn't worry too much about slowing down but guess just planning a bit more will help with food next time, you need the fuel as exerting a serious amount of energy!

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Well that’s odd.... on 11:46 - Sep 10 with 1954 viewsStenvict

What do you usually run on? Water?

Poll: What will be announced first?

Well that’s odd.... on 12:39 - Sep 10 with 1886 viewsMJallday

you're bloody mad

well done mate.

Stilton eating Participant - 1977 to Present Day
Poll: Will you be renewing if you are an existing ST Holder - given todays news?

Well that’s odd.... on 12:51 - Sep 10 with 1848 viewsSwansea_Blue

Well that’s odd.... on 11:46 - Sep 10 by Stenvict

What do you usually run on? Water?

Pretty much by the sounds of it, although there's normally a ship in the middle.

It must be a right pain being at sea on rigid shifts and trying to fit in training runs.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Login to get fewer ads

Well that’s odd.... on 12:52 - Sep 10 with 1846 viewsSwansea_Blue

Well done Newcy.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Well that’s odd.... on 13:17 - Sep 10 with 1819 viewsNewcyBlue

Well that’s odd.... on 10:15 - Sep 10 by WD19

You should be VERY pleased - it was a great effort.

Blowing up after 15km is entirely normal. It always hits me between 15-18km......and yes.....the lack of fuel is a big factor. You need to eat a few hours before......even if it means setting the alarm clock.

Try and get in a gentle, very slow, run in over the next few days to stop the rust setting in or next weekend will be murder.

Cheers, I went and got some of those porridge pots to try this week so I will have something to eat before the run on Sunday.

I’ll probably have a couple of gentle runs this week and try and get down to Ipswich early on Saturday for a walk around. Although I am seriously tempted by the Hull match since it’s on the way!!

Well that’s odd.... on 13:19 - Sep 10 with 1814 viewsNewcyBlue

Well that’s odd.... on 10:20 - Sep 10 by WeWereZombies

Well done, Newcy. And if it is any consolation I walked the last six miles of the only half-marathon I attempted - dodgy knee and lack of training. My body is built for grassy hillsides and rocky peaks, not road running.

I guess I missed your donation appeal during my festival hopping summer, any chance of repeating the Just Giving or whatever address?

Sounds like you have had a good summer mate

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/kenneth-magee2

If you stop by Beamish over the next couple of months give me a shout.

Well that’s odd.... on 13:27 - Sep 10 with 1803 viewsNewcyBlue

Well that’s odd.... on 12:51 - Sep 10 by Swansea_Blue

Pretty much by the sounds of it, although there's normally a ship in the middle.

It must be a right pain being at sea on rigid shifts and trying to fit in training runs.

Looking at my running stats for the last year, which includes yesterday, I have run at a total of 84.4 miles.

However you look at it, for somebody wanting to do 2 half marathons in 7 days, that’s poor. Very poor. Probably a little bit on the dangerous side too.

I do have a greater appreciation for running and will definitely do the 5k Park runs on a Saturday morning after this.

Well that’s odd.... on 18:48 - Sep 10 with 1645 viewsNoCanariesAllowed

Superb effort on an empty stomach, if you ask me. I don't dare even attempt anything over 10k without something in my belly!

Did you eat much the night before? I can't vouch for whether carb-loading truly works but plenty of pasta and such in the couple of days before the race is something I've often heard suggested.
Well that’s odd.... on 18:57 - Sep 10 with 1631 viewsNewcyBlue

Well that’s odd.... on 18:48 - Sep 10 by NoCanariesAllowed

Superb effort on an empty stomach, if you ask me. I don't dare even attempt anything over 10k without something in my belly!

Did you eat much the night before? I can't vouch for whether carb-loading truly works but plenty of pasta and such in the couple of days before the race is something I've often heard suggested.

The day before I had some currywurst and some caldereta (a Filipino beef dish) with some rice as my main meal, which was about 1530ish.

So, didn’t really eat loads the day before.

I find running after eating, even a few hours after, to be difficult. I just feel like I need to be empty to run at my best. Not sure if that makes any sense. Maybe I eat too much.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024