Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Our best starting 11 at the moment has to be 17:25 - Oct 7 with 4104 viewspistonbroke

,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Gerken,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
Donacien ,,,, Pennington,,,,,chambers,,,,,,,,,Knudsen
,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Skuse,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Chalobah,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
,,,,Edwards,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Dozzell,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Ward
,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Sears,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
Our best starting 11 at the moment has to be on 18:04 - Oct 7 with 4023 viewsHerbivore

At home I'd be tempted to drop Chalobah for Jackson and play Sears in behind him. Two holding players and a CM in the number 10 role isn't working at home. Against Boro, Sears played well but he did so dropping into space and drifting wide which left us with no option in the box so maybe him doing that with Jackson playing right up top might give us more of a threat.

I also prefer Nsiala over Pennington.
[Post edited 7 Oct 2018 18:24]

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Our best starting 11 at the moment has to be on 19:06 - Oct 7 with 3938 viewsStokieBlue

Our best starting 11 at the moment has to be on 18:04 - Oct 7 by Herbivore

At home I'd be tempted to drop Chalobah for Jackson and play Sears in behind him. Two holding players and a CM in the number 10 role isn't working at home. Against Boro, Sears played well but he did so dropping into space and drifting wide which left us with no option in the box so maybe him doing that with Jackson playing right up top might give us more of a threat.

I also prefer Nsiala over Pennington.
[Post edited 7 Oct 2018 18:24]

So you'd drop our second top scorer and then move Sears back out of position once he's started playing well in his proper position? It could work I guess.

I don't think he means Chalobah holding - he should be further forward - he seems better higher up. I'd agree he's not a DM.

We seem to disagree quite a bit about team selection :). Not adverse to having Jackson back, don't agree on Chalobah though.

SB
[Post edited 7 Oct 2018 19:20]

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Our best starting 11 at the moment has to be on 22:16 - Oct 7 with 3792 viewsHerbivore

Our best starting 11 at the moment has to be on 19:06 - Oct 7 by StokieBlue

So you'd drop our second top scorer and then move Sears back out of position once he's started playing well in his proper position? It could work I guess.

I don't think he means Chalobah holding - he should be further forward - he seems better higher up. I'd agree he's not a DM.

We seem to disagree quite a bit about team selection :). Not adverse to having Jackson back, don't agree on Chalobah though.

SB
[Post edited 7 Oct 2018 19:20]

Chalobah is very hit and miss for me, at home especially I've not been overly impressed. He's a CB in the making so the notion of playing him higher up the pitch doesn't sit right, he is picked to sit in and protect the back 4 whilst also getting things moving. I'm not averse to him playing with Skuse away from home but at home the balance is off and I'd take Skuse over Chalobah personally. I also think at home we need another attacking option, Sears' best work against Boro came picking the ball up deep and drifting about. He can do that in the number 10 role and offer a threat still, we'd then have Jackson also offering a threat. Great result yesterday but we aren't going to have too many teams having 75% possession against us at PR and we can't rely solely on counter attacking. We don't look like winning at home with the current set up.

Our best starting 11 at the moment has to be on 07:27 - Oct 8 with 3685 viewschristiand

Our best starting 11 at the moment has to be on 22:16 - Oct 7 by Herbivore

Chalobah is very hit and miss for me, at home especially I've not been overly impressed. He's a CB in the making so the notion of playing him higher up the pitch doesn't sit right, he is picked to sit in and protect the back 4 whilst also getting things moving. I'm not averse to him playing with Skuse away from home but at home the balance is off and I'd take Skuse over Chalobah personally. I also think at home we need another attacking option, Sears' best work against Boro came picking the ball up deep and drifting about. He can do that in the number 10 role and offer a threat still, we'd then have Jackson also offering a threat. Great result yesterday but we aren't going to have too many teams having 75% possession against us at PR and we can't rely solely on counter attacking. We don't look like winning at home with the current set up.

Regarding Chalobah, it makes every sense pushing him forward he can pass the ball, he's athletic, imposing and can get around the pitch everything that Nolan lacks in that No.10 role. I'd keep the combination of Skuse, Chalobah and Dozzell in the core of our midfield. Chalobah, like Dozzell is young, this concept that he is going to be consistently good each game is just mythical. He's learning on the job and is finding his way in the game, he's not an experienced professional and will make mistakes and be inconsistent as will Dozzell when he plays regularly. The combination of their abilities will hopefully provide us with a bit of a cutting edge and provide service for Sears or Jackson, which has been sorely lacking up to this point.

Poll: Where will we finish this season?
Blog: Full of Optimism and Hope, the League One Kick Off is Finally Here!

Our best starting 11 at the moment has to be on 07:51 - Oct 8 with 3652 viewsHerbivore

Our best starting 11 at the moment has to be on 07:27 - Oct 8 by christiand

Regarding Chalobah, it makes every sense pushing him forward he can pass the ball, he's athletic, imposing and can get around the pitch everything that Nolan lacks in that No.10 role. I'd keep the combination of Skuse, Chalobah and Dozzell in the core of our midfield. Chalobah, like Dozzell is young, this concept that he is going to be consistently good each game is just mythical. He's learning on the job and is finding his way in the game, he's not an experienced professional and will make mistakes and be inconsistent as will Dozzell when he plays regularly. The combination of their abilities will hopefully provide us with a bit of a cutting edge and provide service for Sears or Jackson, which has been sorely lacking up to this point.

Chalobah is a defensive midfielder who will ultimately end up playing at centre back, I don't see him playing an advanced midfield role. He lacks the craft and guile needed to play higher up the pitch. Despite his positional naivety, which has cost us goals, I like him. I just think at home we've got no chance of winning games playing three essentially deep lying midfielders behind Sears or Jackson. Prior to Saturday the closest we'd coming to winning another game was also away from home. That's no surprise, the set up we have is good to if you're willing to concede possession and play on the break. It's not going to be possible to do that at home where teams will be sitting in. So I'm happy with Chalobah playing alongside Skuse away from home but at home we need a better balance between defence and attack and that means sacrificing one of the DMs for someone who can play much higher up the pitch. We don't look like winning at home with the current set up, if you're happy to persevere with that then fine, I'd rather we try to win some home games too.

Our best starting 11 at the moment has to be on 08:17 - Oct 8 with 3617 viewschristiand

Our best starting 11 at the moment has to be on 07:51 - Oct 8 by Herbivore

Chalobah is a defensive midfielder who will ultimately end up playing at centre back, I don't see him playing an advanced midfield role. He lacks the craft and guile needed to play higher up the pitch. Despite his positional naivety, which has cost us goals, I like him. I just think at home we've got no chance of winning games playing three essentially deep lying midfielders behind Sears or Jackson. Prior to Saturday the closest we'd coming to winning another game was also away from home. That's no surprise, the set up we have is good to if you're willing to concede possession and play on the break. It's not going to be possible to do that at home where teams will be sitting in. So I'm happy with Chalobah playing alongside Skuse away from home but at home we need a better balance between defence and attack and that means sacrificing one of the DMs for someone who can play much higher up the pitch. We don't look like winning at home with the current set up, if you're happy to persevere with that then fine, I'd rather we try to win some home games too.

Chalobah has more about his game than just playing as a centre back.

Our best starting 11 at the moment has to be on 08:41 - Oct 8 with 3589 viewsHerbivore

Our best starting 11 at the moment has to be on 08:17 - Oct 8 by christiand

Chalobah has more about his game than just playing as a centre back.

Yeah, he's also learning to play as a defensive midfielder. What he definitely isn't is an attacking midfielder. He doesn't have the close control, craft or guile to play consistently high up the pitch where there is much less space to play. Round pegs in round holes, mate.

Our best starting 11 at the moment has to be on 08:44 - Oct 8 with 3584 viewschristiand

Our best starting 11 at the moment has to be on 08:41 - Oct 8 by Herbivore

Yeah, he's also learning to play as a defensive midfielder. What he definitely isn't is an attacking midfielder. He doesn't have the close control, craft or guile to play consistently high up the pitch where there is much less space to play. Round pegs in round holes, mate.

We'll see, good players can adapt and Chalobah is certainly one of those. Like Dozzell being solely just a deep lying midfielder.

Login to get fewer ads

Our best starting 11 at the moment has to be on 09:03 - Oct 8 with 3549 viewsTheTrueBlue1878

Chalobah has put in his best back to back performances against Boro and Swansea, and we would reward him by dropping him. The partnership he is building with Skuse is growing game by game. He is always looking for the ball, always looking forward, always full of confidence, with his young age he will make mistakes, but he shouldn't be punished for being so confident on the pitch.

For so many years we've had torrid midfielders who constantly run away from the ball instead of demanding it from teammates.

Poll: Would you be happy with Paul Lambert?

Our best starting 11 at the moment has to be on 09:08 - Oct 8 with 3542 viewsTheTrueBlue1878

I agree mostly, just not in that formation. Ive actually never seen a team play in a 4-1-1-3-1.

Has to be a 4-2-3-1, most balanced formation in football and Skuse and Chalobah are building a really good partnership to build from.

Also when Kenlock is fit he has to be given a chance, I think Knudsen had quite a decent start to the season but thought he was shambolic against Boro and never comfortable watching him at Swansea.

If Kenlock doesnt get a chance then it would pretty hypocritical of PH.

Poll: Would you be happy with Paul Lambert?

Our best starting 11 at the moment has to be on 09:48 - Oct 8 with 3514 viewsZedRodgers

Our best starting 11 at the moment has to be on 07:51 - Oct 8 by Herbivore

By "the closest we'd come to winning another game was also away from home", do you mean Rotherham, which we dominated but lost 1-0? Or the Birmingham game where we were 2-0 up? Skuse and Chalobah played in both.

Did we not nearly win the Blackburn 2-2 at home or the Norwich 1-1 at home? Skuse and Chalobah also played in both of those.

I don't understand your point. Are you saying that because we won an away game with Skuse and Chalobah, we should now leave Chalobah out of home games to give us a better chance of winning?

No, not at the moment

Our best starting 11 at the moment has to be on 10:08 - Oct 8 with 3484 viewsfarkenhell

Our best starting 11 at the moment has to be on 09:48 - Oct 8 by ZedRodgers

By "the closest we'd come to winning another game was also away from home", do you mean Rotherham, which we dominated but lost 1-0? Or the Birmingham game where we were 2-0 up? Skuse and Chalobah played in both.

Did we not nearly win the Blackburn 2-2 at home or the Norwich 1-1 at home? Skuse and Chalobah also played in both of those.

I don't understand your point. Are you saying that because we won an away game with Skuse and Chalobah, we should now leave Chalobah out of home games to give us a better chance of winning?

He makes his point clearly in his first post, with additional reasons in his reply to Stokie. Whether you agree with him or not is another matter of course.

FWIW, I don't agree with his suggestion that Chalobah is [just] a central defender in the making. However, I think he does have a point about Chalobah's ability as an attacking midfielder.
Our best starting 11 at the moment has to be on 10:19 - Oct 8 with 3458 viewsjaykay

dont confuse her

forensic experts say footers and spruces fingerprints were not found at the scene after the weekends rows

Our best starting 11 at the moment has to be on 10:44 - Oct 8 with 3425 viewsZedRodgers

Our best starting 11 at the moment has to be on 10:08 - Oct 8 by farkenhell

He makes his point clearly in his first post, with additional reasons in his reply to Stokie. Whether you agree with him or not is another matter of course.

FWIW, I don't agree with his suggestion that Chalobah is [just] a central defender in the making. However, I think he does have a point about Chalobah's ability as an attacking midfielder.

What I don't think is clear is the point being made about how Skuse+Chalobah have been more successful away from home than at home, or that we would have a better chance of winning at home by just playing one of them.

I agree that he's not an attacking midfielder or a central defender "in the making" - Not really sure why that point is even being made though. If anything, Skuse has been the more advanced of the two from what I've seen.

Edit: I get that he has played at CB for England etc. - But that's a completely different kettle of fish and he clearly has the passing and ball playing ability of a midfielder. Despite his header on Saturday, I don't actually think he's amazing in the air.

Funnily enough, that England u19 side seemed to play a three man midfield of Edun, Dozzell and Mount.
[Post edited 8 Oct 2018 11:10]

No, not at the moment

Our best starting 11 at the moment has to be on 11:40 - Oct 8 with 3344 viewsHerbivore

Re-read my posts, I've answered all of your questions already.

Our best starting 11 at the moment has to be on 11:42 - Oct 8 with 3333 viewsHerbivore

Our best starting 11 at the moment has to be on 09:03 - Oct 8 by TheTrueBlue1878

Chalobah has put in his best back to back performances against Boro and Swansea, and we would reward him by dropping him. The partnership he is building with Skuse is growing game by game. He is always looking for the ball, always looking forward, always full of confidence, with his young age he will make mistakes, but he shouldn't be punished for being so confident on the pitch.

For so many years we've had torrid midfielders who constantly run away from the ball instead of demanding it from teammates.

The Boro game where we lost 2-0 and his positioning was highly questionable for both goals? Righto. It's fine to get on the ball and stroke it around when the game is lost and the opposition aren't applying any pressure, but personally I'd like to see us looking to win our home games instead.

Our best starting 11 at the moment has to be on 11:56 - Oct 8 with 3315 viewsfarkenhell

Our best starting 11 at the moment has to be on 10:44 - Oct 8 by ZedRodgers

What I don't think is clear is the point being made about how Skuse+Chalobah have been more successful away from home than at home, or that we would have a better chance of winning at home by just playing one of them.

I agree that he's not an attacking midfielder or a central defender "in the making" - Not really sure why that point is even being made though. If anything, Skuse has been the more advanced of the two from what I've seen.

Edit: I get that he has played at CB for England etc. - But that's a completely different kettle of fish and he clearly has the passing and ball playing ability of a midfielder. Despite his header on Saturday, I don't actually think he's amazing in the air.

Funnily enough, that England u19 side seemed to play a three man midfield of Edun, Dozzell and Mount.
[Post edited 8 Oct 2018 11:10]

I think the point he is making is that Skuse & Chalobah together are more suited to a counter-attacking game, i.e. when playing away. However, at home he would drop one (and he chooses Chalobah) to allow Jackson to play up front with Sears.

I think it is too general and simplistic to separate styles into home and away in this manner, but there is a distinction between playing A) a team where, with the best will in the world, we have to accept that the opposition will have the lion's share of possession and B) others where it is reasonable to expect us to be able to play a more attacking game. With the latter, there is certainly scope to allow us to play 2 natural forwards.

I was probably a bit too dismissive of Chalobah's ability to play a more advanced midfield role. Probably subconsciously comparing him to Dozzell, who for me has shown in the last game and a bit what can be achieved by instant control and turn, head up, followed by immediate defence-splitting pass. Then again, the boy is something special!
Our best starting 11 at the moment has to be on 11:58 - Oct 8 with 3310 viewsGarv

What did you think of him against Boro when in possession?

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

Our best starting 11 at the moment has to be on 12:06 - Oct 8 with 3298 viewsHerbivore

Our best starting 11 at the moment has to be on 11:58 - Oct 8 by Garv

What did you think of him against Boro when in possession?

Fine in possession in the second half when Boro were 2-0 up, sat back and not pressing us at all until we got to the final third. Unfortunately the game was lost by then.

Our best starting 11 at the moment has to be on 12:31 - Oct 8 with 3269 viewsZedRodgers

Our best starting 11 at the moment has to be on 11:56 - Oct 8 by farkenhell

I think the point he is making is that Skuse & Chalobah together are more suited to a counter-attacking game, i.e. when playing away. However, at home he would drop one (and he chooses Chalobah) to allow Jackson to play up front with Sears.

I think it is too general and simplistic to separate styles into home and away in this manner, but there is a distinction between playing A) a team where, with the best will in the world, we have to accept that the opposition will have the lion's share of possession and B) others where it is reasonable to expect us to be able to play a more attacking game. With the latter, there is certainly scope to allow us to play 2 natural forwards.

I was probably a bit too dismissive of Chalobah's ability to play a more advanced midfield role. Probably subconsciously comparing him to Dozzell, who for me has shown in the last game and a bit what can be achieved by instant control and turn, head up, followed by immediate defence-splitting pass. Then again, the boy is something special!

Okay - got you.

I think I just took the home/away thing literally and was having trouble understanding why that would be the approach. Like you say, I would agree that there's scope to have 2/3 more forward thinking CMs rather than 2/3 defensive when playing teams where we should have more of the ball. This obviously shouldn't just be limited to home games though.

I actually think Edun and Dozzell would work well together in that respect. Equally, Chalobah would do well coming on in the second half if we are leading.

Edit: QPR at home as good a game as any to implement this. If it does come off, then Millwall away should also have the same approach if we want to be anything more than a bottom half team.
[Post edited 8 Oct 2018 12:34]

No, not at the moment

Our best starting 11 at the moment has to be on 12:46 - Oct 8 with 3239 viewsnodge_blue

Our best 11 includes Bart. Form is temporary and class is permanent.

Poll: best attacking central midfielder?

Our best starting 11 at the moment has to be on 13:09 - Oct 8 with 3206 viewsmaccyd9

RE Chalobah debate, Herbivore is correct.

Chalobah is not an attacking midfielder. He's pretty erratic, gives possession away in tight areas quite easily and is seen by nobody in the game as an attack minded player.

Chelsea see him as a centre back, England U19's play him as a centre back and only Hurst has took the move the play him further forwards.

I'd have Nsiala in for Pennington I think although that's close, Bart certainly in for Gerken and Jackson in for Sears who will never carry a big enough goal threat.

One things for sure and that it's a team that needs help. Unless we can nail down a striker in January who can deliver goals we will be right in the mire.
Our best starting 11 at the moment has to be on 13:58 - Oct 8 with 3162 viewsZedRodgers

Our best starting 11 at the moment has to be on 13:09 - Oct 8 by maccyd9

Chalobah is not an attacking midfielder. He's pretty erratic, gives possession away in tight areas quite easily and is seen by nobody in the game as an attack minded player.

Chelsea see him as a centre back, England U19's play him as a centre back and only Hurst has took the move the play him further forwards.

I'd have Nsiala in for Pennington I think although that's close, Bart certainly in for Gerken and Jackson in for Sears who will never carry a big enough goal threat.

One things for sure and that it's a team that needs help. Unless we can nail down a striker in January who can deliver goals we will be right in the mire.

1 goal (sort of) and 2 assists from 2 starts and 3 sub appearances makes Sears our biggest goal threat out of the available strikers.

No, not at the moment

Our best starting 11 at the moment has to be on 14:12 - Oct 8 with 3141 viewsGarv

Our best starting 11 at the moment has to be on 13:09 - Oct 8 by maccyd9

Can't agree with much of that to be honest.

Chalobah showed against Boro he can carry an attacking threat, being the only one who looked likely to score a goal. He's got a lovely turn, finds acres of space sometimes and while he does sometimes give the ball away he also finds passes in small areas, see Sears' one on one chance early on Sat - came from Chalobah, onto Skuse, Dozzell into Sears. It was quite a nice move.

Also, I'd have to say Sears actually was a goal threat on Saturday, an assist and a goal/own goal reflected that. He's also providing decent champ experience at the minute, in terms of getting the ball down up the pitch and bringing others into play. This is why he is ahead of Jackson at present.

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

Our best starting 11 at the moment has to be on 18:55 - Oct 8 with 3044 viewsHerbivore

Our best starting 11 at the moment has to be on 13:58 - Oct 8 by ZedRodgers

1 goal (sort of) and 2 assists from 2 starts and 3 sub appearances makes Sears our biggest goal threat out of the available strikers.

Jackson's last four starts yielded a goal, an assist, and getting brought down by the last man for a red card. He's been doing alright too. The issue has been the support more than anything.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024