Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Creeping towards a police state 10:40 - Oct 13 with 3436 viewsbaxterbasics

This guy.

A rare thing these days - a liberal-left-wing voice.

zip
Poll: Your minimum standard of 'success' for our return to The Championship?

Creeping towards a police state on 10:44 - Oct 13 with 2794 viewsclive_baker

I cannot stand Jonathan Pie. Utter penis.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Creeping towards a police state on 10:47 - Oct 13 with 2792 viewssparks

Whilst I agree in principle- and am very much opposed to the rising idea that the state, or certain groups and ideologies can dictate to the world what can or cannot be said...

This was not a formal police caution as the video suggests. It was a verbal warning- probably "words of advice" or similar. Its pretty routine where someone complains of some sort of harrassment as a first step. Just tell them not to speak to each other and hope it goes away.

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)
Poll: Is Fred drunk this morning?

Creeping towards a police state on 10:50 - Oct 13 with 2774 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Why would you think it is "a rare thing?"

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

Creeping towards a police state on 10:53 - Oct 13 with 2762 viewssparks

Creeping towards a police state on 10:50 - Oct 13 by BanksterDebtSlave

Why would you think it is "a rare thing?"

Because it is?

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)

Creeping towards a police state on 10:57 - Oct 13 with 2752 viewsreusersfreekicks

Creeping towards a police state on 10:44 - Oct 13 by clive_baker

Love him
Creeping towards a police state on 11:00 - Oct 13 with 2742 viewsclive_baker

Creeping towards a police state on 10:57 - Oct 13 by reusersfreekicks

Love him

I actually agree with a lot of what he says, I just find the character so OTT. Clearly it’s for effect, but the body language and constant dialogue with his made up colleague down the ear piece drives me mad. Can’t watch it.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

On a related note on 11:01 - Oct 13 with 2739 viewsDyland

Creeping towards a police state on 10:47 - Oct 13 by sparks

Whilst I agree in principle- and am very much opposed to the rising idea that the state, or certain groups and ideologies can dictate to the world what can or cannot be said...

This was not a formal police caution as the video suggests. It was a verbal warning- probably "words of advice" or similar. Its pretty routine where someone complains of some sort of harrassment as a first step. Just tell them not to speak to each other and hope it goes away.

My very favourite Hitchens moment...

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

Creeping towards a police state on 11:01 - Oct 13 with 2728 viewsreusersfreekicks

Creeping towards a police state on 11:00 - Oct 13 by clive_baker

I actually agree with a lot of what he says, I just find the character so OTT. Clearly it’s for effect, but the body language and constant dialogue with his made up colleague down the ear piece drives me mad. Can’t watch it.

It's just a performance isn't it.
Login to get fewer ads

Creeping towards a police state on 11:01 - Oct 13 with 2729 viewstabletopjoe

I don’t think he does the cause any favours

'Let the ignorant argue with themselves' -- CL

Creeping towards a police state on 11:48 - Oct 13 with 2649 viewshomer_123

Creeping towards a police state on 11:01 - Oct 13 by tabletopjoe

I don’t think he does the cause any favours

What cause? Free speech isn't a cause.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Creeping towards a police state on 11:55 - Oct 13 with 2640 viewstabletopjoe

Creeping towards a police state on 11:48 - Oct 13 by homer_123

What cause? Free speech isn't a cause.

Of course it is. And certainly worth fighting for, after we went to so much trouble to establish it around the world

'Let the ignorant argue with themselves' -- CL

Creeping towards a police state on 11:59 - Oct 13 with 2626 viewshomer_123

Creeping towards a police state on 11:55 - Oct 13 by tabletopjoe

Of course it is. And certainly worth fighting for, after we went to so much trouble to establish it around the world

No, it is a principal and human right.

Freedom of expression is recognized as a human right under article 19 of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights (UDHR) and recognized in international human rights law in the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights (ICCPR).

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Creeping towards a police state on 12:00 - Oct 13 with 2622 viewsNo9

Where have you been since 1979?
Creeping towards a police state on 12:05 - Oct 13 with 2602 viewsjjblue84

Creeping towards a police state on 11:59 - Oct 13 by homer_123

Freedom of expression is recognized as a human right under article 19 of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights (UDHR) and recognized in international human rights law in the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights (ICCPR).

Ha! Whose law is that?
[Post edited 13 Oct 2018 12:07]
Creeping towards a police state on 12:07 - Oct 13 with 2594 viewsNo9

Are these the human rights the tories want to scrap when we leave the EU?
Creeping towards a police state on 12:07 - Oct 13 with 2596 viewssparks

Its also a cause. It is regrettably necessary to keep kicking back at those who would nudge in the boundaries for bad reasons.

The grey areas make it a slippery "right" and people are properly concerned about thin end of the wedge arguments.

Take Mr Corbyn's recent fun and games with the definition of anti-semitism for instance. Whilst I have little time for Mr Corbyn, isn't the idea that saying a particular thing (even if it might be valid, might be for effect, might be satire etc etc) automatically entitles everyone to label you as an anti-semite, and possibly expose you to removal from a party, or even prosecution for "hate speech", a rather sinister state of affairs?

Creeping towards a police state on 12:10 - Oct 13 with 2573 viewsNo9

Creeping towards a police state on 12:07 - Oct 13 by sparks

Its also a cause. It is regrettably necessary to keep kicking back at those who would nudge in the boundaries for bad reasons.

The grey areas make it a slippery "right" and people are properly concerned about thin end of the wedge arguments.

Take Mr Corbyn's recent fun and games with the definition of anti-semitism for instance. Whilst I have little time for Mr Corbyn, isn't the idea that saying a particular thing (even if it might be valid, might be for effect, might be satire etc etc) automatically entitles everyone to label you as an anti-semite, and possibly expose you to removal from a party, or even prosecution for "hate speech", a rather sinister state of affairs?

I noticed that the letter from the Palastinians pointing out that Mr Corbyn was putting their case something that had got lost.
Was not the media condemnation of what Corbyn was stating shutting down feee speech as was the Palastinians case?
Creeping towards a police state on 12:14 - Oct 13 with 2560 viewssparks

Creeping towards a police state on 12:10 - Oct 13 by No9

I noticed that the letter from the Palastinians pointing out that Mr Corbyn was putting their case something that had got lost.
Was not the media condemnation of what Corbyn was stating shutting down feee speech as was the Palastinians case?

It was driven by ideology.

I am not convinced that Corbyn's position was wrong on that occasion. The idea of defining something with which to shut people down or make them guilty of something, so widely, is sinister to me.

Creeping towards a police state on 12:27 - Oct 13 with 2524 viewsimsureazzure

He hits the mark every time, the non liberal authoritarian left will hate him, they love control.
Creeping towards a police state on 12:31 - Oct 13 with 2520 viewsLord_Lucan

We have been a Police State for years. Of course the great unwashed have helped soften the load on the police by telling the world what they are up to on Facebook on a daily occurrence.

"Dear world, this is what I am doing today"

Where has this idiot sprung up from by the way? I had never heard of him until a couple of days ago when our homosexual whatsapp group suggested watching him, I turned the tvvat off after a couple of minutes - what an idiot he is!

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Creeping towards a police state on 12:33 - Oct 13 with 2511 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Creeping towards a police state on 10:53 - Oct 13 by sparks

Because it is?

You need to spend more time with (left) @narchists. I'm not sure that framing this as a left/right thing is helpful nor accurate. -(facist book burning, Communist censorship, Israel's recent attempt to fine people over calls for boycotts, etc......)

Creeping towards a police state on 12:34 - Oct 13 with 2506 viewsjjblue84

Creeping towards a police state on 12:31 - Oct 13 by Lord_Lucan

We have been a Police State for years. Of course the great unwashed have helped soften the load on the police by telling the world what they are up to on Facebook on a daily occurrence.

"Dear world, this is what I am doing today"

Where has this idiot sprung up from by the way? I had never heard of him until a couple of days ago when our homosexual whatsapp group suggested watching him, I turned the tvvat off after a couple of minutes - what an idiot he is!

Do you know what a police state is??
Creeping towards a police state on 12:40 - Oct 13 with 2495 viewsLord_Lucan

Creeping towards a police state on 12:34 - Oct 13 by jjblue84

I think I have a fair idea.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Creeping towards a police state on 12:57 - Oct 13 with 2455 viewsSwansea_Blue

Creeping towards a police state on 10:44 - Oct 13 by clive_baker

Each to their own. No need to abuse baxter though
[Post edited 13 Oct 2018 12:57]

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Creeping towards a police state on 13:42 - Oct 13 with 2399 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Creeping towards a police state on 12:34 - Oct 13 by jjblue84

Do you know how to avoid sleepwalking in to one?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024