Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Murder on North Sentinel Island 13:37 - Nov 22 with 6222 viewsGlasgowBlue

https://edition.cnn.com/2018/11/21/asia/andaman-nicobar-us-missionary-killed-int

Not sure if this has been covered but what do TWTD folk make of this?

I understand that the bloke knew the risk when he trespassed on an Island that has decided to cut itself off from the modern world but would we expect our government to put pressure on India to take action if this was British backpacker who travelled there on his gap year?

I'm torn on this.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Murder on North Sentinel Island on 16:26 - Nov 22 with 2267 viewsfooters

Murder on North Sentinel Island on 16:22 - Nov 22 by Swansea_Blue

Well yes, from their view, but legally the islands appear to still be under Indian law, and I'm sure the US could take issue with one of their citizens being murdered but the Indian authorities doing nothing about it.

Common sense says you're spot on - the local responsible authority has said previously it has no intention of enforcing the law on the island. But that's not a legal position (I don't think).

I'd have thought is an interesting diplomatic issue. But I'm also blissfully ignorant.

Trump's (hopefully) going over there in person to sort it out. After threatening to bomb them of course.

footers KC - Private Counsel to Big Farmer - Friend to all
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Murder on North Sentinel Island on 16:33 - Nov 22 with 2257 viewsGlasgowBlue

Murder on North Sentinel Island on 16:06 - Nov 22 by Swansea_Blue

I think he was a fool, but that is a very good question. If that had occurred in most territories there would be a murder investigation in accordance to the local laws.

I know nothing about these islands, so with a bit of wiki-ing:

"The Andaman and Nicobar Administration stated in 2005 that they have no intention to interfere with the lifestyle or habitat of the Sentinelese and are not interested in pursuing any further contact with them or enforcing law on the island"

That should be the end of it, although it also states on wiki that even though the islands and it's people are seen as independent, legally they still aren't, as they haven't been declared an autonomous administrative division of India.

So it seems a bit of an interesting diplomatic quandary for the Americans.

You've explained it better than I did.

My gut says that these people should be preserved in the same way one would an endangered species but at the same time how can anyone legally justify not investigating the murder of a human being?

Iron Lion Zion

Murder on North Sentinel Island on 16:37 - Nov 22 with 2244 viewsfooters

Murder on North Sentinel Island on 16:33 - Nov 22 by GlasgowBlue

My gut says that these people should be preserved in the same way one would an endangered species but at the same time how can anyone legally justify not investigating the murder of a human being?

That's on us, though. I mean the 'civilised' world. We have those laws, these people don't. What kind of repercussion could even be thought of?

My intention isn't to de-humanise these people, but you can't prosecute a tiger for killing a man. It knows no different.

footers KC - Private Counsel to Big Farmer - Friend to all
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Murder on North Sentinel Island on 16:42 - Nov 22 with 2233 viewsDanTheMan

I don't understand legally why they under the domain of India when they quite obviously want to be left alone and India is happy to do so.

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

Murder on North Sentinel Island on 16:43 - Nov 22 with 2223 viewsGlasgowBlue

Murder on North Sentinel Island on 16:42 - Nov 22 by DanTheMan

I don't understand legally why they under the domain of India when they quite obviously want to be left alone and India is happy to do so.

I suppose that they have to be under the domain of somebody otherwise there would be no one to protect them.

Iron Lion Zion

Murder on North Sentinel Island on 16:49 - Nov 22 with 2215 viewsStokieBlue

They want to be left alone, he endangered them by going there illegally as they have no resistance to most disease.

They don't know our laws, it was their Island with their laws, it's his fault in my view. Nothing should happen to the islanders.

If it was a British backpacker I'd have exactly the same view.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Murder on North Sentinel Island on 16:51 - Nov 22 with 2206 viewsDanTheMan

Murder on North Sentinel Island on 16:43 - Nov 22 by GlasgowBlue

I suppose that they have to be under the domain of somebody otherwise there would be no one to protect them.

That's fair enough, but then why should they be subject to laws of a country who are only acting as their protectors?

They have no say in the laws, nobody speaks their language and they've been independent for thousands of years. To me it seems bizarre that they'd be subject to laws they don't even know exist. Presumably they have their own customs which are perfectly fine with murdering outsiders who come to their territory.

I don't think it's the same as religious cults in countries where this is established law already of which the people have say in.
[Post edited 22 Nov 2018 16:51]

Murder on North Sentinel Island on 17:07 - Nov 22 with 2181 viewsClapham_Junction

Aren't they charging the people who took him to the island with their boat?

Also, Americans should be familiar with the concept of a stand-your-ground-law, which probably applies here too given the risk that the guy could have killed them all with a disease he was carrying.
Login to get fewer ads

Murder on North Sentinel Island on 17:22 - Nov 22 with 2157 viewsGlasgowBlue

Murder on North Sentinel Island on 16:51 - Nov 22 by DanTheMan

That's fair enough, but then why should they be subject to laws of a country who are only acting as their protectors?

They have no say in the laws, nobody speaks their language and they've been independent for thousands of years. To me it seems bizarre that they'd be subject to laws they don't even know exist. Presumably they have their own customs which are perfectly fine with murdering outsiders who come to their territory.

I don't think it's the same as religious cults in countries where this is established law already of which the people have say in.
[Post edited 22 Nov 2018 16:51]

I must admit that I was unaware of them until this story featured earlier today. So I'm processing all of this for the first time.

It seems that one man did make contact with them successfully in 1991 but he seems to be the only one to have done so.

Everyone else has been on the receiving end of a bow and arrow.

http://northsentinelisland.com/north-sentinel-history/

Iron Lion Zion

Murder on North Sentinel Island on 17:28 - Nov 22 with 2149 viewsXYZ

Murder on North Sentinel Island on 17:07 - Nov 22 by Clapham_Junction

Aren't they charging the people who took him to the island with their boat?

Also, Americans should be familiar with the concept of a stand-your-ground-law, which probably applies here too given the risk that the guy could have killed them all with a disease he was carrying.

Whilst agreeing 100% with SB's analysis above, I haven't yet seen anyone (not just on here) establish that it was an "unlawful killing" let alone "murder".

Some good to come of it is that most of us have learnt a bit more about our world and thought "I'm really glad they're there".
Murder on North Sentinel Island on 17:32 - Nov 22 with 2144 viewsDanTheMan

Murder on North Sentinel Island on 17:22 - Nov 22 by GlasgowBlue

I must admit that I was unaware of them until this story featured earlier today. So I'm processing all of this for the first time.

It seems that one man did make contact with them successfully in 1991 but he seems to be the only one to have done so.

Everyone else has been on the receiving end of a bow and arrow.

http://northsentinelisland.com/north-sentinel-history/

Me too actually, and it's incredibly interesting even if it's for a pretty unfortunate reason.

The history on that page (and from what I've read) rather emphasises my point that they've never really, nor do they want to be, integrated. It seems to only be because India has laid some sort of claim to the Island that legality comes into it. And I imagine the original claim to the Island wasn't out of a want to protect all of the people on the Andaman Islands but maybe I'm being cynical.

The Wikipedia page does have a lovely story of one of the first British people to go to the island, who abducted four of the people who promptly all got sick and then two of them died. I'm not overly surprised they are somewhat wary of foreigners.

All in all, I really cannot feel sorry for this man. They obviously did not want to know about Jesus, nor would he have been able to communicate with them. Can only imagine he must have been extremely arrogant.
[Post edited 22 Nov 2018 17:32]

Murder on North Sentinel Island on 18:38 - Nov 22 with 2096 viewsjaykay

forensic experts say footers and spruces fingerprints were not found at the scene after the weekends rows

Murder on North Sentinel Island on 22:43 - Nov 22 with 2008 viewsGuthrum

Murder on North Sentinel Island on 16:42 - Nov 22 by DanTheMan

India administers the Andaman Islands group, of which N. Sentinel is part. Think of it as an autonomous enclave.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Murder on North Sentinel Island on 09:27 - Nov 23 with 1903 viewsSwansea_Blue

Murder on North Sentinel Island on 18:38 - Nov 22 by jaykay

Reminds me of Great Bentley

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Murder on North Sentinel Island on 12:57 - Nov 23 with 1848 viewscaught-in-limbo

Very strange.

#toxic
Poll: BREXIT - Hard, soft, phantom ...

Murder on North Sentinel Island on 13:17 - Nov 23 with 1825 viewsPlums

Murder on North Sentinel Island on 16:06 - Nov 22 by Swansea_Blue

I think he was a fool, but that is a very good question. If that had occurred in most territories there would be a murder investigation in accordance to the local laws.

I know nothing about these islands, so with a bit of wiki-ing:

"The Andaman and Nicobar Administration stated in 2005 that they have no intention to interfere with the lifestyle or habitat of the Sentinelese and are not interested in pursuing any further contact with them or enforcing law on the island"

That should be the end of it, although it also states on wiki that even though the islands and it's people are seen as independent, legally they still aren't, as they haven't been declared an autonomous administrative division of India.

So it seems a bit of an interesting diplomatic quandary for the Americans.

As long as India informs the USA that the island is under the diplomatic protection of Saudi Arabia, it’ll present no issue at all.

To respond to the OP, I have no sympathy for the guy. Sadly, another religious fatality statistic.
[Post edited 23 Nov 2018 13:19]

It's 106 miles to Portman Road, we've got a full tank of gas, half a round of Port Salut, it's dark... and we're wearing blue tinted sunglasses.
Poll: Which recent triallist should we have signed?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024