Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Why blame Hurst ? 17:05 - Dec 9 with 14430 viewsHARRY10

He seems to be a convenient scapegoat to mask years of 'mismanagement' by Marcus Evans.

How much were the signings he made down to the limited funds made available ? We did not simply become a struggling club last summer. The downward spiral has been pretty much par for the course under Evans.

Yep it might have been two steps forward, one back at odd points. But mostly it has been one step forward and two back. We are where we are now because of that long term decline. Not the actions of one unsuitable manager.

Whatever PL does will be against the backdrop of Marcus Evan's running (ruining) of our club. Nothing suggests that decline will not continue.

Depressing times.

Why blame Hurst ? on 17:06 - Dec 9 with 5740 viewsCurrie10

I would think it's patently obvious to anyone ' why blame Hurst ' .
Why blame Hurst ? on 17:07 - Dec 9 with 5744 viewsJ2BLUE

Because it's mostly his fault. Evans provides a budget which isn't enough to challenge for the top spots (consistently) but it is enough not to be in this position. Hurst is getting most of the blame because he is mostly to blame.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Why blame Hurst ? on 17:09 - Dec 9 with 5728 viewsCurrie10

Why blame Hurst ? on 17:07 - Dec 9 by J2BLUE

Because it's mostly his fault. Evans provides a budget which isn't enough to challenge for the top spots (consistently) but it is enough not to be in this position. Hurst is getting most of the blame because he is mostly to blame.

This.

Hurst unfortunately tried to do three transfer windows in one.

No issue signing a few lower league players, but should have also signed a couple of proven players at this level.

Graham on loan just about sums Hurst up. Clueless.
Arf, because he was completely sh1t (n/t) on 17:09 - Dec 9 with 5726 viewsDyland

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

Indeed on 17:13 - Dec 9 with 5714 viewsDyland

Though the buck stops with MEG.

As far as I can make out, Evans should shoulder some immediate responsibility beyond the longer term under-investment argument, because he sanctioned Hurst's transfer activity. That's as damning to me as any argument about the longer term investment levels, because it shows he doesn't have anyone at a senior corporate level who seems to have two sh1tting clues about football.

Why blame Hurst ? on 17:15 - Dec 9 with 5706 viewsFtnfwest

Agreed and if anything Evans didn’t provide any budget last summer, hurst provided it by selling several players (probably all unavoidable) but then should have brought in fewer but better players.
Indeed on 17:21 - Dec 9 with 5670 viewsJ2BLUE

Indeed on 17:13 - Dec 9 by Dyland

As far as I can make out, Evans should shoulder some immediate responsibility beyond the longer term under-investment argument, because he sanctioned Hurst's transfer activity. That's as damning to me as any argument about the longer term investment levels, because it shows he doesn't have anyone at a senior corporate level who seems to have two sh1tting clues about football.

True but I don't remember too many on here complaining that we were making too many signings. It's not like the fans were sounding the alarm and Evans just ignored the warnings. Too many are happy to look back with hindsight but still judge Evans on his actions at the time. His actions being sanctioning signings and supporting the new manager we were all raving about.

Truly impaired.

I don't remember it like that on 17:26 - Dec 9 with 5655 viewsDyland

Indeed on 17:21 - Dec 9 by J2BLUE

True but I don't remember too many on here complaining that we were making too many signings. It's not like the fans were sounding the alarm and Evans just ignored the warnings. Too many are happy to look back with hindsight but still judge Evans on his actions at the time. His actions being sanctioning signings and supporting the new manager we were all raving about.

Some posters were given pelters for being negative before a ball was kicked, sure, but mostly fans were cautiously excited about how we would fare, rather than being wildly optimistic. If anything, the posters who knew about Hurst and follow a lot of league footie were more cautious. Personally I didn't have a clue who he even was :)

Login to get fewer ads

I don't remember it like that on 17:30 - Dec 9 with 5629 viewsJ2BLUE

I don't remember it like that on 17:26 - Dec 9 by Dyland

Some posters were given pelters for being negative before a ball was kicked, sure, but mostly fans were cautiously excited about how we would fare, rather than being wildly optimistic. If anything, the posters who knew about Hurst and follow a lot of league footie were more cautious. Personally I didn't have a clue who he even was :)

Exactly, a few were pointing out the danger but the overwhelming majority were enjoying the ride.

Truly impaired.

Why blame Hurst ? on 17:31 - Dec 9 with 5624 viewsHARRY10

So it is 'mostly Hurst's fault' that we have been struggling for years ? Hurst is to blame for year on year falling gates, for the dire football under MM ?

No.

The truth is Hurst was just another consequence of the mismanagement of our club, NOT the cause.
Why blame Hurst ? on 17:31 - Dec 9 with 5624 viewsLeagueOne

Is it enough not to be in this position? We're among the lowest spenders in the league both on wages and in terms of transfers - i'd say it fairly reflects the budget Evans set and the the level the club is in heading in 2019 - which is entirely down to Evans, and not Paul Hurst.

It's time to make the best of it.
Poll: Would you leave TWTD if political threads were banned?

Why blame Hurst ? on 17:32 - Dec 9 with 5628 viewsGuthrum

There was a decline over the last few seasons, yes. But the crisis was precipitated by a manager who made a slew of injudicious signings, couldn't make his plan work, then tore it up and lost the plot: Paul Hurst.

Can you imagine we'd have been in this situation with McCarthy still at the helm*, or Lambert from the start of the season?

*not saying that should have happened

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Why blame Hurst ? on 17:33 - Dec 9 with 5617 viewsJ2BLUE

Why blame Hurst ? on 17:31 - Dec 9 by HARRY10

So it is 'mostly Hurst's fault' that we have been struggling for years ? Hurst is to blame for year on year falling gates, for the dire football under MM ?

No.

The truth is Hurst was just another consequence of the mismanagement of our club, NOT the cause.

We can argue we were on a downward trend, driving slowly towards a cliff. Hurst jumped in the car and put his foot down on the accelerator.

Truly impaired.

Why blame Hurst ? on 17:34 - Dec 9 with 5606 viewsnshearman1

No.

Totally agreed
I don't remember it like that on 17:34 - Dec 9 with 5608 viewsDyland

I don't remember it like that on 17:30 - Dec 9 by J2BLUE

Exactly, a few were pointing out the danger but the overwhelming majority were enjoying the ride.

Right, but most of us aren't and have been involved in professional football. Was there any point Evans or one of his senior staff asked Hurst what he was doing and sounded any caution?

I'm being simplistic but you get the point.

Certainly I'm not arguing Hurst isn't enormously culpable.

This is the argument about whether Sheepshanks or Burley destroyed the club on 17:36 - Dec 9 with 5595 viewsDyland

Why blame Hurst ? on 17:33 - Dec 9 by J2BLUE

We can argue we were on a downward trend, driving slowly towards a cliff. Hurst jumped in the car and put his foot down on the accelerator.

all over again. Massive yeh right.

This is the argument about whether Sheepshanks or Burley destroyed the club on 17:38 - Dec 9 with 5582 viewsJ2BLUE

This is the argument about whether Sheepshanks or Burley destroyed the club on 17:36 - Dec 9 by Dyland

all over again. Massive yeh right.

Pardon?

Truly impaired.

Why blame Hurst ? on 17:39 - Dec 9 with 5579 viewsLeagueOne

Keane - bottom and thereabouts during his tenure, sacked before relegation
Jewell - took the club to bottom, sacked before relegation
McCarthy - Took the club within 4 points of relegation in 2016/17 - left club before relegation
Hurst - exclusively in bottom three, sacked before relegation

Thats four managers over a decade who have all flirted with relegating the club. Pretty shambolic record.

It's time to make the best of it.
Poll: Would you leave TWTD if political threads were banned?

Indeed on 17:40 - Dec 9 with 5573 viewsSwansea_Blue

Indeed on 17:13 - Dec 9 by Dyland

^^^ this. You should post more. What do you think about vegans?

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Why blame Hurst ? on 17:41 - Dec 9 with 5565 viewsHARRY10

That backs my point.

We were on a downward trend.

Who appointed Hurst. Why did the likes of Waghorn and Garner want out. McGoldrick and Webster ? Were their departures all down to Hurst ?

As said. Hurst is too any easy scapegoat for a situation that we have been sliding toward for years. Something too many would rather not address preferring to cling to the notion that our current position in the table and at club level is all down to one man.

Fine, if that one man was Marcus Evans.
This is the argument about whether Sheepshanks or Burley destroyed the club on 17:42 - Dec 9 with 5565 viewsDyland

This is the argument about whether Sheepshanks or Burley destroyed the club on 17:38 - Dec 9 by J2BLUE

Pardon?

Don't you remember? NorwichBlue and Nerdy were the main protagonists in that argument. I'm going back 15 years, mind :)

I can't be arsed these days Swanners on 17:43 - Dec 9 with 5555 viewsDyland

Indeed on 17:40 - Dec 9 by Swansea_Blue

^^^ this. You should post more. What do you think about vegans?

I certainly can't be arsed to talk about vegans on here ;)

Indeed on 17:43 - Dec 9 with 5556 viewsSteve_M

Indeed on 17:21 - Dec 9 by J2BLUE

Some of us were puzzled by the number of changes, very adamant that selling Webster and Waghorn were odd decisions and very concerned at the lack of Championship experience in the players Hurst brought in. And that's before we got to the end of the transfer window with one experienced central defender and one sold Garner with minutes to go.

I was always happy to give Hurst the benefit of the doubt, as I do with all managers, but his decision making left much to be desired even before the start of the season.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

P.S. You can blame Hurst AND Evans, you know :) (n/t) on 17:45 - Dec 9 with 5538 viewsDyland

Why blame Hurst ? on 17:46 - Dec 9 with 5535 viewsWD19

No.

We have finished in the top half 4 out of the past 5 seasons. We may have been boring as hell, but not struggling to the extent mini Roy authored. God knows why anyone would try to excuse him. Odd.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024