Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Just a thought from yesterday 08:26 - Dec 23 with 3386 viewschristiand

Gerken I thought had a solid game, but his kicking is a real weakness. I look at someone like Ederson at Manchester City who can put his goal kicks on the edge of the opponent’s area, DG struggles to get it over the halfway line. Although many will consider this a minor aspect of a goalkeeper’s armourary, it can be a huge weapon and instantly puts the opposition under pressure and gives territory higher up the pitch especially battling for that second ball. Just wish he could get greater length on his clearances both for goal kicks and defensive free kicks it would help us out enormously. You could see The Blades defence lining up 10 yards in their own half each time knowing it wasn’t going to go much further and they weren’t going to be overly troubled by getting turned. This isn’t a criticism of DG, just something that I noticed.

Poll: Where will we finish this season?
Blog: Full of Optimism and Hope, the League One Kick Off is Finally Here!

Just a thought from yesterday on 08:29 - Dec 23 with 3366 viewsFixed_It

Getting the ball up the pitch and losing the battle for the second ball is so last season...

Ready! Steady! Cook!
Poll: Club v. Country - which comes first for you?

Just a thought from yesterday on 08:51 - Dec 23 with 3305 viewsRegencyBlue

At least his kicks stayed in. Barts were going out for throw ins most of the time!
Just a thought from yesterday on 09:00 - Dec 23 with 3266 viewstextbackup

Gerken being stuck to his line worries me more

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

Just a thought from yesterday on 09:05 - Dec 23 with 3252 viewsnoggin

How many times do our defenders receive the ball, look around a bit but can't decide what to do, so play it back to the keeper, putting him under pressure with his clearance? Very frustrating.

Poll: Which team thread should I participate in?

Just a thought from yesterday on 09:09 - Dec 23 with 3228 viewsWestStanderLaLaLa

Just a thought from yesterday on 09:00 - Dec 23 by textbackup

Gerken being stuck to his line worries me more

Our pair struggle to dominate the 6 yard box let alone further out. Their keeper took the pressure off a couple times with good takes that neither of ours would have got close to.

Poll: Your favourite thing about THAT goal?

Just a thought from yesterday on 09:14 - Dec 23 with 3199 viewsBLUEBEAT

No.1’s kicking is way better than No.33’s kicking.

Definite information.

Poll: W or W

Just a thought from yesterday on 10:00 - Dec 23 with 3113 viewsBlueBadger

Just a thought from yesterday on 09:09 - Dec 23 by WestStanderLaLaLa

Our pair struggle to dominate the 6 yard box let alone further out. Their keeper took the pressure off a couple times with good takes that neither of ours would have got close to.

That's the Malcolm Webster legacy, sadly. For all the other good work he did, when did we last have a keeper that did that?

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Just a thought from yesterday on 10:16 - Dec 23 with 3077 viewscbower

Just a thought from yesterday on 10:00 - Dec 23 by BlueBadger

That's the Malcolm Webster legacy, sadly. For all the other good work he did, when did we last have a keeper that did that?

Coming and claiming high balls and dominating the six yard box has been lacking for the best part of a decade now. It makes so much difference to defenders and our failure to have a keeper that does this contributes significantly to our vulnerabilities defensively so much more than people realise.

bluescouser

Login to get fewer ads

Just a thought from yesterday on 10:17 - Dec 23 with 3080 viewsWestStanderLaLaLa

Just a thought from yesterday on 09:14 - Dec 23 by BLUEBEAT

No.1’s kicking is way better than No.33’s kicking.

Definite information.

It really isn’t. They’re both poor. Lies, damn lies and statistics but Gerks pass completion is higher than Barts.

Edit. Hangover got in the way, meant to say only marginally higher than Barts.
[Post edited 23 Dec 2018 10:22]

Poll: Your favourite thing about THAT goal?

Just a thought from yesterday on 10:22 - Dec 23 with 3038 viewsBlueBadger

Just a thought from yesterday on 10:16 - Dec 23 by cbower

Coming and claiming high balls and dominating the six yard box has been lacking for the best part of a decade now. It makes so much difference to defenders and our failure to have a keeper that does this contributes significantly to our vulnerabilities defensively so much more than people realise.

Couple that to a lack of a forward able to win and hold the ball up front, that's two areas in which we lose out of ball retention and our ability to keep other teams out.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Just a thought from yesterday on 10:31 - Dec 23 with 3017 viewsNo9

He could/ should have taken the ball that came in & caused Chambers problem, I think the skipper thought Gerken would take it but he didn't & it was their goal. There was a similar incident later where Gerkens judgement was again in question.
Cause for concern
Just a thought from yesterday on 11:51 - Dec 23 with 2937 viewschristiand

Just a thought from yesterday on 10:31 - Dec 23 by No9

He could/ should have taken the ball that came in & caused Chambers problem, I think the skipper thought Gerken would take it but he didn't & it was their goal. There was a similar incident later where Gerkens judgement was again in question.
Cause for concern

Got to say that is really harsh if you are blaming Gerken for their goal yesterday. That was a wonderfully delivered cross from Norwood with plenty of whip. I believe most keeper's would've made the same decision as DG and hoped Chambers could've got something on it unless the GK's starting position was slightly different. Certainly don't blame him, just a well delivered cross which Sharp did well to put in the net, but that's what decent strikers do in this league.
[Post edited 23 Dec 2018 14:18]

Just a thought from yesterday on 11:53 - Dec 23 with 2930 viewschristiand

Just a thought from yesterday on 10:16 - Dec 23 by cbower

Certainly agree with this cbower. Henderson made collecting the high ball look easy at times yesterday, now why didn't PH get him on loan that would've been a terrific signing?!

Just a thought from yesterday on 11:57 - Dec 23 with 2919 viewsNo9

Just a thought from yesterday on 11:51 - Dec 23 by christiand

Got to say that is really harsh if you are blaming Gerken for their goal yesterday. That was a wonderfully delivered cross from Norwood with plenty of whip. I believe most keeper's would've made the same decision as DG and hoped Chambers could've got something on it unless the GK's starting position was slightly different. Certainly don't blame him, just a well delivered cross which Sharp did well to put in the net, but that's what decent strikers do in this league.
[Post edited 23 Dec 2018 14:18]

Just to check my thoughts I looked at the replay on EFL this morning, as an ex GK I believe that ball coming in at that height into the 6 yd box was the keepers ball.
The GK ruling the 6 yd box is a prime requirement DG isn't doing that very well.
Just a thought from yesterday on 12:02 - Dec 23 with 2906 viewschristiand

Just a thought from yesterday on 11:57 - Dec 23 by No9

Just to check my thoughts I looked at the replay on EFL this morning, as an ex GK I believe that ball coming in at that height into the 6 yd box was the keepers ball.
The GK ruling the 6 yd box is a prime requirement DG isn't doing that very well.

I'm an ex keeper too and that was a top quality cross IMO. If anything, you could question DG's starting position, perhaps a yard or two further out, but that certainly wasn't a ball that was flighted in and gave him time to come and collect it.

Just a thought from yesterday on 12:02 - Dec 23 with 2903 viewsPJH

Just a thought from yesterday on 11:53 - Dec 23 by christiand

Certainly agree with this cbower. Henderson made collecting the high ball look easy at times yesterday, now why didn't PH get him on loan that would've been a terrific signing?!

In theory (and fact) we had a very good Championship keeper in Bart when Hurst arrived so there was no need to think of getting another keeper.
I thought that the need might come with Bart leaving but as that did not happen there was no reason then to suppose that we could improve on what we had already got.
For as yet unrevealed reasons Bart is having a poor season by the standards that he set for himself but there was no way of anticipating that.
Just a thought from yesterday on 12:08 - Dec 23 with 2876 viewschristiand

Just a thought from yesterday on 12:02 - Dec 23 by PJH

In theory (and fact) we had a very good Championship keeper in Bart when Hurst arrived so there was no need to think of getting another keeper.
I thought that the need might come with Bart leaving but as that did not happen there was no reason then to suppose that we could improve on what we had already got.
For as yet unrevealed reasons Bart is having a poor season by the standards that he set for himself but there was no way of anticipating that.

No that's fair PJH, it was a 'tongue in cheek' comment after PH's numerous loans and a player that he worked with at Shrewsbury Town last season, is one he fails to get!! I'm just looking at the current GK situation. Henderson looked very calm and composed in The Blades' goal and dealt with most things confidently. That's what we need at the moment someone that is going to install confidence.

Just a thought from yesterday on 12:11 - Dec 23 with 2867 viewscbower

Just a thought from yesterday on 12:02 - Dec 23 by PJH

You are definitely right here PJH but you would have to agree that Bart, like Gerken, really does not dominate his six yard box. He is a top class shot stopper for sure and has deserved the plaudits over recent years. His inability to claim high balls consistently and his ropey distribution are what have stopped him from being a Premier League keeper. How much of this is down to Webster's coaching is another question.

bluescouser

Just a thought from yesterday on 12:14 - Dec 23 with 2854 viewsNo9

Just a thought from yesterday on 12:02 - Dec 23 by christiand

I'm an ex keeper too and that was a top quality cross IMO. If anything, you could question DG's starting position, perhaps a yard or two further out, but that certainly wasn't a ball that was flighted in and gave him time to come and collect it.

It was a good cross flighted to the far post, DG should have come and at least lifted it over Sharp's head even if that gave them a corner.
I agree balls flighted in like that are not very easy balls to deal with BUT anythign dropiing into the 6yd box should have been a keepers ball.
Looking at how Chambers has positioned himself he thought the same.

I remember Andy Marshall was very weak with that type of ball into the box.
Just a thought from yesterday on 12:16 - Dec 23 with 2852 viewsPJH

Just a thought from yesterday on 12:08 - Dec 23 by christiand

No that's fair PJH, it was a 'tongue in cheek' comment after PH's numerous loans and a player that he worked with at Shrewsbury Town last season, is one he fails to get!! I'm just looking at the current GK situation. Henderson looked very calm and composed in The Blades' goal and dealt with most things confidently. That's what we need at the moment someone that is going to install confidence.

Understood.
If Bart had been sold in the summer, which seemed a possibility,I think Henderson could well have been the one that Hurst would have tried to get to replace him.

I am not sure at what point Sheffield United got him in so he might not have still been available anyway.
Just a thought from yesterday on 12:23 - Dec 23 with 2827 viewsNo9

Just a thought from yesterday on 12:16 - Dec 23 by PJH

Understood.
If Bart had been sold in the summer, which seemed a possibility,I think Henderson could well have been the one that Hurst would have tried to get to replace him.

I am not sure at what point Sheffield United got him in so he might not have still been available anyway.

Season long loan from Man U
Just a thought from yesterday on 12:24 - Dec 23 with 2828 viewschristiand

Just a thought from yesterday on 12:16 - Dec 23 by PJH

Understood.

Henderson looks a good prospect, most facets of his game he looked a solid and reliable Championship keeper already.

Just a thought from yesterday on 12:26 - Dec 23 with 2819 viewsPJH

Just a thought from yesterday on 12:23 - Dec 23 by No9

Season long loan from Man U

Yes,I know that he is on loan from them and was at Shrewsbury on loan last season,I meant I did not know how early in the window the loan to Sheff U was sorted.
Just a thought from yesterday on 12:30 - Dec 23 with 2808 viewschristiand

Just a thought from yesterday on 12:14 - Dec 23 by No9

It was a good cross flighted to the far post, DG should have come and at least lifted it over Sharp's head even if that gave them a corner.
I agree balls flighted in like that are not very easy balls to deal with BUT anythign dropiing into the 6yd box should have been a keepers ball.
Looking at how Chambers has positioned himself he thought the same.

I remember Andy Marshall was very weak with that type of ball into the box.

It wasn't flighted though, it was whipped in with pace and just alluded Chambers. That dropped right on the perimeter of his 6 yard box, it's all about the starting position as a GK. You have to accept at times that was a well delivered cross and a good finish. Think we'll have to accept that we will agree to disagree on this No9 otherwise we could bore everyone senseless, but respect your view.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024