Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Well this is blowing up into a bit of a ding dong 10:23 - Mar 5 with 10778 viewsSwansea_Blue

School halts lessons challenging homophobia in the face of parental pressure

https://www.theguardian.com/education/2019/mar/04/birmingham-school-stops-lgbt-l

- LBGT rights
- Muslims
- faith v fact
- protests
- petitions
- A teacher at the centre of it who's been awarded an MBE for his work in equality education and is currently shortlisted for a 'World's Best Teacher' award, who's already been hounded out of one school because he challenges the religious stereotypes.

- A local Labour MP throwing the LGBT community under a bus

- Humainsists jumping up and down - https://humanism.org.uk/2019/03/04/schools-move-to-stop-lgbt-lessons-after-relig

Pick the bones out of that lot!

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Well this is blowing up into a bit of a ding dong on 20:21 - Mar 5 with 2339 viewsLord_Lucan

Well this is blowing up into a bit of a ding dong on 18:56 - Mar 5 by SpruceMoose

"Wow. I came back on here to apologise if I came across as being hostile as it wasn't meant to come across like that - then I notice that you haven't just edited your post but have completely re written it. How disgraceful. Don't attempt to chase me around like you try with certain others. You won't bully me. "

Ok you got me, you're on a wind up. Good one. I actually fell for it!

Well I don't know where you are at or what you are trying to say but it infuriates me - more than you will know - that you are prepared to mess 5 year old kids minds up and try and talk to them about something they are clearly incapable of understanding.

In fact it is bordering on child abuse.

Let them be kids and tackle any issues if, as, and when they experience any problems before they are at an age they can fully understand.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Well this is blowing up into a bit of a ding dong on 20:25 - Mar 5 with 2325 viewsChampionship

Well this is blowing up into a bit of a ding dong on 20:21 - Mar 5 by Lord_Lucan

Well I don't know where you are at or what you are trying to say but it infuriates me - more than you will know - that you are prepared to mess 5 year old kids minds up and try and talk to them about something they are clearly incapable of understanding.

Let them be kids and tackle any issues if, as, and when they experience any problems before they are at an age they can fully understand.

This is my problem as well really. I think it probably creates more issues than it solves. I would be quite pissed off if my 5 year old child was being taught about transgender issues.

I do have quite a strong view on why this is happening but I don't dare post it!
Well this is blowing up into a bit of a ding dong on 20:30 - Mar 5 with 2305 viewsSpruceMoose

Well this is blowing up into a bit of a ding dong on 20:21 - Mar 5 by Lord_Lucan

The research (not just the links I posted up) shows that it doesn't mess up any minds though. For the kids in need it is actually a massive help.

I don't think I deserve the hostility you've shown here, Lucan. You're usually alright. One of my favourite posters in fact. If I were to take this internetting business more seriously I'd be quite hurt that you think I'm advocating child abuse.

There's probably no point continuing this though, you've got your opinion and I've got mine. Want to bury the hatchet (not in my head, hopefully)?

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

Well this is blowing up into a bit of a ding dong on 20:32 - Mar 5 with 2291 viewssparks

Well this is blowing up into a bit of a ding dong on 20:25 - Mar 5 by Championship

This is my problem as well really. I think it probably creates more issues than it solves. I would be quite pissed off if my 5 year old child was being taught about transgender issues.

I do have quite a strong view on why this is happening but I don't dare post it!

There is no way they are going to have detailed conversations with 5 year olds about such things. They are going to be saying- some people are like this, and some people are like that. We are all welcome, and we are all normal. That simple.

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)
Poll: Is Fred drunk this morning?

Well this is blowing up into a bit of a ding dong on 20:37 - Mar 5 with 2268 viewsfooters

Ayy yo, god doesn't exist.

Thankfully, the UK is one of the most secular nations on earth. And those that call themselves religious are merely paying lip-service or creating their own 'modern' interpretations of it.

Take Pascal's Wager- but god will know if you think that tho, jus' sayin'

That's what shocks the West about Islamic fundamentalism- they actually put into practice what the bible really teaches but they don't want to admit the same of Christianity.

End of.

footers KC - Prosecution Barrister - Friend to all
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Well this is blowing up into a bit of a ding dong on 20:38 - Mar 5 with 2264 viewsSpruceMoose

Well this is blowing up into a bit of a ding dong on 20:32 - Mar 5 by sparks

There is no way they are going to have detailed conversations with 5 year olds about such things. They are going to be saying- some people are like this, and some people are like that. We are all welcome, and we are all normal. That simple.

I don't think anyone is advocating having super detailed conversations. As I said earlier, everything should be age appropriate.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."

Well this is blowing up into a bit of a ding dong on 20:38 - Mar 5 with 2263 viewsLord_Lucan

Well this is blowing up into a bit of a ding dong on 20:30 - Mar 5 by SpruceMoose

The research (not just the links I posted up) shows that it doesn't mess up any minds though. For the kids in need it is actually a massive help.

I don't think I deserve the hostility you've shown here, Lucan. You're usually alright. One of my favourite posters in fact. If I were to take this internetting business more seriously I'd be quite hurt that you think I'm advocating child abuse.

There's probably no point continuing this though, you've got your opinion and I've got mine. Want to bury the hatchet (not in my head, hopefully)?

I didn't mean to offend you and I came back on here to post an apology in case I had offended you as I realised that my text might have come across a bit "Like that"

I then found that you had completely re wrote the post I initially replied to and used a link to a paper written by a nutter who uses two names and passes him / herself off as two people in order to give more weight to the paper. Furthermore - and I stand to be corrected - but this persons isn't qualified but is an ex primary school teacher.

Man cool.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.

Well this is blowing up into a bit of a ding dong on 20:39 - Mar 5 with 2259 viewsSpruceMoose

Well this is blowing up into a bit of a ding dong on 20:25 - Mar 5 by Championship

I just can't understand that point of view. Can you help me? I'm genuinely interested as to what your concerns are?

Login to get fewer ads

Well this is blowing up into a bit of a ding dong on 20:39 - Mar 5 with 2257 viewsfooters

Well this is blowing up into a bit of a ding dong on 20:38 - Mar 5 by SpruceMoose

I don't think anyone is advocating having super detailed conversations. As I said earlier, everything should be age appropriate.

Send the message via Fortnite dance moves?

Well this is blowing up into a bit of a ding dong on 20:39 - Mar 5 with 2256 viewsSpruceMoose

Well this is blowing up into a bit of a ding dong on 20:38 - Mar 5 by Lord_Lucan

I didn't mean to offend you and I came back on here to post an apology in case I had offended you as I realised that my text might have come across a bit "Like that"

I then found that you had completely re wrote the post I initially replied to and used a link to a paper written by a nutter who uses two names and passes him / herself off as two people in order to give more weight to the paper. Furthermore - and I stand to be corrected - but this persons isn't qualified but is an ex primary school teacher.

Man cool.

I hate it when we fight.

I went back to provide the links you mentioned. I wasn't going to bother, because like you said, who has time for that usually? Took me ages, and I didn't mean to edit while you were replying.

[Post edited 5 Mar 2019 20:43]

Well this is blowing up into a bit of a ding dong on 20:41 - Mar 5 with 2252 viewsSpruceMoose

Well this is blowing up into a bit of a ding dong on 20:39 - Mar 5 by footers

Send the message via Fortnite dance moves?

Sounds a bit avant garde. A dance move that lasts two weeks, as a means of communication?

Well this is blowing up into a bit of a ding dong on 20:57 - Mar 5 with 2206 viewsWithnail

Well this is blowing up into a bit of a ding dong on 20:39 - Mar 5 by SpruceMoose

I hate it when we fight.

I went back to provide the links you mentioned. I wasn't going to bother, because like you said, who has time for that usually? Took me ages, and I didn't mean to edit while you were replying.

[Post edited 5 Mar 2019 20:43]

Anyone got a spare pair of knee pads for Sprucey?
Well this is blowing up into a bit of a ding dong on 21:01 - Mar 5 with 2206 viewsLord_Lucan

Well this is blowing up into a bit of a ding dong on 20:57 - Mar 5 by Withnail

Anyone got a spare pair of knee pads for Sprucey?

Spruce and I have kissed via PM

We are man cool

I've had personal issues involving a couple of recent threads - and I've disagreed with posts within those threads so I may have been a bit narky.

I've probably been a bit narky to my friend and professional communist No9 as well.
[Post edited 5 Mar 2019 21:36]

Well this is blowing up into a bit of a ding dong on 21:02 - Mar 5 with 2202 viewsChampionship

Well this is blowing up into a bit of a ding dong on 20:39 - Mar 5 by SpruceMoose

I just can't understand that point of view. Can you help me? I'm genuinely interested as to what your concerns are?

You wouldn't love me anymore Spruce. You are my only friend here. Apart from footers but he's more of a handler I think.
Well this is blowing up into a bit of a ding dong on 21:06 - Mar 5 with 2196 viewsfooters

Well this is blowing up into a bit of a ding dong on 21:02 - Mar 5 by Championship

You wouldn't love me anymore Spruce. You are my only friend here. Apart from footers but he's more of a handler I think.

You'll learn in time, you brute.

But thank you for your arbitration in the chips vs salad with gammon debate.

Here's a wildcard- I often serve my gammon with curried yellow split peas. Wkj will have a nervous breakdown on hearing this, fcking melt.

Well this is blowing up into a bit of a ding dong on 21:09 - Mar 5 with 2186 viewsChampionship

Well this is blowing up into a bit of a ding dong on 21:06 - Mar 5 by footers

You'll learn in time, you brute.

But thank you for your arbitration in the chips vs salad with gammon debate.

Here's a wildcard- I often serve my gammon with curried yellow split peas. Wkj will have a nervous breakdown on hearing this, fcking melt.

I was minutes away from offering a fruit salad backstop if he agreed to a few chips in place of the salad. Thankfully sense prevailed.
Well this is blowing up into a bit of a ding dong on 21:28 - Mar 5 with 2156 viewsjimmyvet

Well this is blowing up into a bit of a ding dong on 15:27 - Mar 5 by SpruceMoose

If I bother to get some links together for you will you actually read them, or did you just want to have an outburst? It's not new research. Some of it reaches back to the 70s.

Honestly, some folk on here would do well to hold their hands up and admit when they know very little all about a subject, but still have strong feelings about it.

I'll take you at your word and assume you're coming to the discussion with a genuine wish to learn about it.

Page 28 has the data you would like to see regarding when trans children realise their gender variance.

https://itgl.lu/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/Kennedy-and-Hellen-Transgender-Childr

These two discuss the mental health of children who have 'socially transitioned'. Turns out their rates of depression and anxiety were similar to cis identifying children and significantly lower than those of gender-nonconforming children in previous studies.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26921285
https://pediatrics.aappublications.org/content/137/3/e20153223

I can understand that this may make some people uncomfortable, but that doesn't alter the reality of the situation. A child's mental health is more important than anyone's feelings of discomfort.
[Post edited 5 Mar 2019 15:44]

How many children and grandchildren have you actually been responsible for...you don’t half talk some tosh sometimes and make yourself sound and look rather silly!
Well this is blowing up into a bit of a ding dong on 21:33 - Mar 5 with 2147 viewsfooters

Well this is blowing up into a bit of a ding dong on 21:28 - Mar 5 by jimmyvet

How many children and grandchildren have you actually been responsible for...you don’t half talk some tosh sometimes and make yourself sound and look rather silly!

See, what you've done there is reply to a well-reasoned and evidenced post with a personal attack with nothing in the way of a real rebuttal. Please post your evidence to the contrary. Or are you 'Just Telling It Like It Is?'. Note that your feelings do not care about facts.

Well this is blowing up into a bit of a ding dong on 21:33 - Mar 5 with 2146 viewssparks

Yeah. Sod facts, experts and evidence. Personal anecdotal evidence is what counts...

Do explain what harm it causes to tell kids that different people are different, and we can treat them all the same?

In 20 years time, these things arent going to be issues for the vast majority. My daughter enjoys hanging round with a lad who almost certainly has some transgender issues. Its just not a big deal- she likes playing with him because he "likes girls things". In my day, that kid would be utterly miserable and mocked if he dared to be himself. He's much better off today than he would have been then, because of the more grown up and inclusive attitudes engendered by many parents and by schools and media.

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)

Well this is blowing up into a bit of a ding dong on 21:44 - Mar 5 with 2135 viewsSpruceMoose

By all means feel free to jump into the conversation with an intelligent point, whenever you're ready. Your post suggests you have vast experience in this area, and I'm always happy to learn.

Well this is blowing up into a bit of a ding dong on 21:45 - Mar 5 with 2133 viewsSpruceMoose

Well this is blowing up into a bit of a ding dong on 21:33 - Mar 5 by sparks

Yeah. Sod facts, experts and evidence. Personal anecdotal evidence is what counts...

Do explain what harm it causes to tell kids that different people are different, and we can treat them all the same?

In 20 years time, these things arent going to be issues for the vast majority. My daughter enjoys hanging round with a lad who almost certainly has some transgender issues. Its just not a big deal- she likes playing with him because he "likes girls things". In my day, that kid would be utterly miserable and mocked if he dared to be himself. He's much better off today than he would have been then, because of the more grown up and inclusive attitudes engendered by many parents and by schools and media.

Excellent post.

Well this is blowing up into a bit of a ding dong on 21:56 - Mar 5 with 2113 viewsfooters

Well this is blowing up into a bit of a ding dong on 21:33 - Mar 5 by sparks

My aunt is trans. She was a 'happily' married man for more than 20 years, built like a brick sh1thouse and has two youngish boys as kids.

She only felt safe to 'come out' a few years back. Now, this caused a bit of fuss in my family since the kids had one and two years left at school, respectively. Personally, I felt it a bit selfish to do so while her kids were in school and could be subject to bullying- but understand her feelings as to her identity.

To do this in Lowestoft is quite something. She walks around proudly and must have balls ten times the size of mine, figuratively speaking.

But she did it. She received excellent support from OASIS (support group for LGBTQ+ peeps in Suffolk) and has now found a new partner, also trans.

My grandad saw her at a family funeral last year sometime; he saw her, walked back to the car, locked the door and laughed himself stupid. This is the sort of thing we have to change.

It takes people like her to change stereotypes. Let's hope the message gets out sharpish.

Well this is blowing up into a bit of a ding dong on 22:00 - Mar 5 with 2107 viewsfooters

Well this is blowing up into a bit of a ding dong on 21:01 - Mar 5 by Lord_Lucan

Spruce and I have kissed via PM

We are man cool

I've had personal issues involving a couple of recent threads - and I've disagreed with posts within those threads so I may have been a bit narky.

I've probably been a bit narky to my friend and professional communist No9 as well.
[Post edited 5 Mar 2019 21:36]

Bet the pay as a professional communist is quite lousy? As a Loire Valley socialist I'll keep gaming the capitalist pigs for my French plonk, fanx.

Well this is blowing up into a bit of a ding dong on 22:01 - Mar 5 with 2105 viewssparks

Well this is blowing up into a bit of a ding dong on 21:56 - Mar 5 by footers

My aunt is trans. She was a 'happily' married man for more than 20 years, built like a brick sh1thouse and has two youngish boys as kids.

She only felt safe to 'come out' a few years back. Now, this caused a bit of fuss in my family since the kids had one and two years left at school, respectively. Personally, I felt it a bit selfish to do so while her kids were in school and could be subject to bullying- but understand her feelings as to her identity.

To do this in Lowestoft is quite something. She walks around proudly and must have balls ten times the size of mine, figuratively speaking.

But she did it. She received excellent support from OASIS (support group for LGBTQ+ peeps in Suffolk) and has now found a new partner, also trans.

My grandad saw her at a family funeral last year sometime; he saw her, walked back to the car, locked the door and laughed himself stupid. This is the sort of thing we have to change.

It takes people like her to change stereotypes. Let's hope the message gets out sharpish.

I should probably add, that I have little time for pandering to people being precious about these things in either direction- or about treading on eggshells. This stuff about trans women in sport, for instance, is baffling to me. Its not prejudiced, bigotted or unreasonable to point out that a woman who grew up as a man has an advantage physically in body muscle and bone development, even if (post change) testosterone levels are at the accepted level. I have a real issue with people crying "bigot" whenever anyone says something that is not the accepted narrative.

Its a fascinating and difficult subject. Always interesting when feminists argue the stuff about nature / nurture too- and the idea that we are all the same but for societal pressures and expectations. We clearly arent.

But nothing wrong with teaching kids that we come in all shapes and sizes, psychologically as well as physically- and that that is okay.

Well this is blowing up into a bit of a ding dong on 22:03 - Mar 5 with 2105 viewseireblue

Hmmm, I have owned some cats, can I be a vet now?
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024