Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The Lucan challenge. 21:46 - Mar 10 with 6541 viewscatch74

Following on from another thread, wondered how broad Lucan’s Suffolk pub knowledge is.
I’ve got a funny feeling we could name lots of pubs and he’d have a story to tell..

Lucan, if you’re up for it?

Cock and Pye - going Ipswich to start.

Poll: Who are the Numbskulls?

The Lucan challenge. on 13:46 - Mar 11 with 1474 viewspickles110564

The Lucan challenge. on 22:56 - Mar 10 by StirlingArcher

What was the "Seckford Tap" in Woodbridge, formerly known as?

That was my pre-18 watering hole for a few years

*was MANY moons ago

Edit: Was it the Seckford Arms? *Rings a bell*

and then in Ipswich "The Arboretum"
[Post edited 10 Mar 2019 23:02]

Bell & steel yard for me, did a lovely pint of cider
The Lucan challenge. on 13:48 - Mar 11 with 1469 viewspickles110564

The Lucan challenge. on 23:11 - Mar 10 by catch74

Seckford Arms, sounds familiar - think they didn’t mind serving under age. Would have been in there v early 90’s.

Early 80's for me in the seckford. Eric in the Angel was very hard to pull the wool over his eyes for getting a drink, probably did not help that I used to date his daughter.
The Lucan challenge. on 14:00 - Mar 11 with 1439 viewsblueislander

The Lucan challenge. on 13:48 - Mar 11 by pickles110564

Early 80's for me in the seckford. Eric in the Angel was very hard to pull the wool over his eyes for getting a drink, probably did not help that I used to date his daughter.

In the 60s the pubs that appeared unconcerned by underage drinking were The Vaults on Cornhill, and The Queens Head which was the nearest pub to St.Matthews Baths Hall which hosted the Saturday hops, and a punch up could be guaranteed as the evening drew to a close.

Although I never used it until I was 18 The Greyhound was the best pub by a million miles. Adnams beer, darts , crib and dominoes always being played in the public bar.
[Post edited 11 Mar 2019 14:09]
The Lucan challenge. on 14:09 - Mar 11 with 1417 viewsartsbossbeard

The Lucan challenge. on 12:08 - Mar 11 by Lord_Lucan

As much as I fancy it, it seems most of my lot are behaving like a bunch of Jessies because they have to get up in the morning.

It's looking unlikely ATM.

Good news: My Sunday is now task freee

Bad news: I'm now out for a meal on Saturday eve. Could get up to Kings for around 21:30?

Please note: prior to hitting the post button, I've double checked for anything that could be construed as "Anti Semitic" and to the best of my knowledge it isn't. Anything deemed to be of a Xenophobic nature is therefore purely accidental or down to your own misconstruing.
Poll: Raining in IP8 - shall I get the washing in?

The Lucan challenge. on 14:16 - Mar 11 with 1404 viewsLord_Lucan

The Lucan challenge. on 14:00 - Mar 11 by blueislander

In the 60s the pubs that appeared unconcerned by underage drinking were The Vaults on Cornhill, and The Queens Head which was the nearest pub to St.Matthews Baths Hall which hosted the Saturday hops, and a punch up could be guaranteed as the evening drew to a close.

Although I never used it until I was 18 The Greyhound was the best pub by a million miles. Adnams beer, darts , crib and dominoes always being played in the public bar.
[Post edited 11 Mar 2019 14:09]

The only place I struggled to get served in was Limmers Tavern (Dukes). It was unusual for pubs to have bouncers on then but they had two and I struggled with them - until Mother changed by DOB on my NI card from 65 to 63.

The Coach and Horses was a funny one, my mates were all three or four years older than me so the landlord and his sons sort of accepted I was the same age. I was drinking in there from when I was 15 and I remember they were a bit annoyed when I was out celebrating my 18th in there.

I never really struggled in any other pubs - I was quite big for my age - in fact I don't think I have grown an inch since 1981.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

The Lucan challenge. on 14:21 - Mar 11 with 1391 viewsgainsboroughblue

The Lucan challenge. on 14:16 - Mar 11 by Lord_Lucan

The only place I struggled to get served in was Limmers Tavern (Dukes). It was unusual for pubs to have bouncers on then but they had two and I struggled with them - until Mother changed by DOB on my NI card from 65 to 63.

The Coach and Horses was a funny one, my mates were all three or four years older than me so the landlord and his sons sort of accepted I was the same age. I was drinking in there from when I was 15 and I remember they were a bit annoyed when I was out celebrating my 18th in there.

I never really struggled in any other pubs - I was quite big for my age - in fact I don't think I have grown an inch since 1981.

Coach and Horses was Upper Brook Street wasn't it? It had gone a few years by the time I was of age.

Poll: Favourite Norwich Relegation?

The Lucan challenge. on 14:27 - Mar 11 with 1381 viewsjontysnut

The Lucan challenge. on 14:16 - Mar 11 by Lord_Lucan

I went to Northgate and my mate's mum used to work in the kitchen at the Royal George. We used to go in for a couple of halves and some free chips at lunchtime. He passed his test at 17 and had a better car than most of the teachers. Used to go to the Selkirk, Tuddenham Fountain, the Rushmere Falcon ( where Russell Osman used to prop the bar up). Couple of swift ones, game of darts and back for double English. TWTD.
The Lucan challenge. on 15:44 - Mar 11 with 1322 viewsLord_Lucan

The Lucan challenge. on 14:21 - Mar 11 by gainsboroughblue

Coach and Horses was Upper Brook Street wasn't it? It had gone a few years by the time I was of age.

It was opposite Sainsburys, next to that place that sells all the bags by the alley.

It was an "Interesting" place. Dons Disco playing at the weekends (same set list every week), that bloody mad African women always in there and an assortment of waifs and strays littered about. Bar Billiards, Space Invaders, Glaxian and table football.

Cock and Pye down the road was a bit of a punk place but then became more normal. Falcon was my pub of choice and meet up place but it lost it a bit when Kaye and her husband retired and their son took over. G

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.

Login to get fewer ads

The Lucan challenge. on 16:26 - Mar 11 with 1290 viewsgainsboroughblue

The Lucan challenge. on 15:44 - Mar 11 by Lord_Lucan

It was opposite Sainsburys, next to that place that sells all the bags by the alley.

It was an "Interesting" place. Dons Disco playing at the weekends (same set list every week), that bloody mad African women always in there and an assortment of waifs and strays littered about. Bar Billiards, Space Invaders, Glaxian and table football.

Cock and Pye down the road was a bit of a punk place but then became more normal. Falcon was my pub of choice and meet up place but it lost it a bit when Kaye and her husband retired and their son took over. G

Ever go in the Blue Coat Boy? That was another interesting place from what my elder male relatives and friends say. I think I missed it by about a year of my drinking career.

Poll: Favourite Norwich Relegation?

The Lucan challenge. on 16:49 - Mar 11 with 1263 viewsLord_Lucan

The Lucan challenge. on 16:26 - Mar 11 by gainsboroughblue

Ever go in the Blue Coat Boy? That was another interesting place from what my elder male relatives and friends say. I think I missed it by about a year of my drinking career.

I went in there once.

I missed out on a pub called The Band Box that seems to have been good, not definite info but I think it was where The Works Stores is - or around there.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024