Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
On the one hand... 12:03 - Mar 12 with 5614 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

...a thread about a former Town player and how gambling and other addictions ruined his life.

...and at the top of the page, a pinned post of gambling tips.

Good luck avoiding gambling in the future kids.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

On the one hand... on 14:55 - Mar 12 with 2342 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

On the one hand... on 14:52 - Mar 12 by Ryorry

Speak with J2 about it, he'll give you the lowdown.

I think the point is not whether you lose money on the initial bet, its about where it leads.

It is a plot to entice people with little or no money to place their first bet.

Yes, some people can make use of it, and not all will be addicts. But the 'free' bet is in no way risk free and is a cynical marketing ploy.

Here, have some free heroine, its 'risk free'.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

On the one hand... on 15:09 - Mar 12 with 2336 viewscaught-in-limbo

On the one hand... on 14:52 - Mar 12 by Ryorry

Speak with J2 about it, he'll give you the lowdown.

Is that J2 "the affable adult with no kids and regular TWTD forum contributor who likes a flutter and has quite a balanced view on life or is there another J2 who's a practising psychologist / psychoanalyst who knows a thing or two about addiction who also posts here?

#toxic
Poll: BREXIT - Hard, soft, phantom ...

On the one hand... on 15:17 - Mar 12 with 2317 viewsSpruceMoose

On the one hand... on 15:09 - Mar 12 by caught-in-limbo

Is that J2 "the affable adult with no kids and regular TWTD forum contributor who likes a flutter and has quite a balanced view on life or is there another J2 who's a practising psychologist / psychoanalyst who knows a thing or two about addiction who also posts here?

Regardless of your point of view on gambling, that wasn't very nice.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

On the one hand... on 15:21 - Mar 12 with 2308 viewscaught-in-limbo

On the one hand... on 15:17 - Mar 12 by SpruceMoose

Regardless of your point of view on gambling, that wasn't very nice.

Sorry? Who is J2 to to give "the low down" on the effects of gambling on kids?

I thought I dealt with Ryorry's comment with a bit of humour. J2 even got a compliment out of me in the process. Perhaps there's too much offence being taken by and on behalf of others, as per usual.

#toxic

On the one hand... on 15:25 - Mar 12 with 2294 viewsSpruceMoose

On the one hand... on 15:21 - Mar 12 by caught-in-limbo

I thought I dealt with Ryorry's comment with a bit of humour. J2 even got a compliment out of me in the process. Perhaps there's too much offence being taken by and on behalf of others, as per usual.

Considering your love of climbing aboard the old soapbox to grandstand and tell everyone how wrong they are, no matter the subject, I would have thought you would have been a bit more supportive! But hey ho!

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."

On the one hand... on 15:26 - Mar 12 with 2290 viewscaught-in-limbo

On the one hand... on 15:25 - Mar 12 by SpruceMoose

Considering your love of climbing aboard the old soapbox to grandstand and tell everyone how wrong they are, no matter the subject, I would have thought you would have been a bit more supportive! But hey ho!

An example of such behaviour might add credibility to your claim.

#toxic

On the one hand... on 15:26 - Mar 12 with 2288 viewsCoastalblue

I struggle to believe the wall to wall adverts for bookies when the football's on, actually I can't but I do struggle to believe they're allowed.

Gambling is a massive problem in society, there's plenty of opportunity for people to partake without having it rammed down everybody's throats.

So yeah, in my opinion there should be a ban on advertising on TV at the very least, I'm sure I'm in a minority.

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

On the one hand... on 15:28 - Mar 12 with 2279 viewsSpruceMoose

On the one hand... on 15:26 - Mar 12 by caught-in-limbo

An example of such behaviour might add credibility to your claim.

I'll report back once it has been peer reviewed!

Login to get fewer ads

On the one hand... on 15:31 - Mar 12 with 2275 viewsRyorry

On the one hand... on 15:21 - Mar 12 by caught-in-limbo

This is becoming silly. You've taken my very simple comment to ask J2 all about free bets. because for years he did nothing else - never risked his own money which, as he's pointed out in the past meant, that he literally wasn't gambling - and between yourself & MarshallsM have turned it into a whole book on child psychology, addiction etc. which I simply didn't even touch on! I'm not sure J2's even commented on this thread!

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

On the one hand... on 15:32 - Mar 12 with 2271 viewsSpruceMoose

On the one hand... on 15:31 - Mar 12 by Ryorry

This is becoming silly. You've taken my very simple comment to ask J2 all about free bets. because for years he did nothing else - never risked his own money which, as he's pointed out in the past meant, that he literally wasn't gambling - and between yourself & MarshallsM have turned it into a whole book on child psychology, addiction etc. which I simply didn't even touch on! I'm not sure J2's even commented on this thread!

CiL seems grumpy today. Kicking off in another thread at Stokie as well. All a bit unseemly.

On the one hand... on 16:10 - Mar 12 with 2250 viewsJ2BLUE

On the one hand... on 15:09 - Mar 12 by caught-in-limbo

This is a fair point. Compliment accepted

I think there has been some crossed wires. Ryorry meant ask me about matched betting and how to use the bookies' offers against them to make risk free money. I'm clearly no authority on addiction and think a lot of what you say is correct. The only genuinely risk free bet (for gamblers rather than matched bettors) that i've ever seen is the Sky cash back one they are doing this week. Unless you know how to make use of the offers then offering people two chances at having a bet isn't risk free and probably shouldn't be marketed as such.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

On the one hand... on 16:18 - Mar 12 with 2238 viewscaught-in-limbo

On the one hand... on 15:32 - Mar 12 by SpruceMoose

CiL seems grumpy today. Kicking off in another thread at Stokie as well. All a bit unseemly.

Bizarre.

#toxic

On the one hand... on 16:21 - Mar 12 with 2225 viewscaught-in-limbo

On the one hand... on 16:10 - Mar 12 by J2BLUE

I think there has been some crossed wires. Ryorry meant ask me about matched betting and how to use the bookies' offers against them to make risk free money. I'm clearly no authority on addiction and think a lot of what you say is correct. The only genuinely risk free bet (for gamblers rather than matched bettors) that i've ever seen is the Sky cash back one they are doing this week. Unless you know how to make use of the offers then offering people two chances at having a bet isn't risk free and probably shouldn't be marketed as such.

Thank you. As level-headed and affable as ever.

#toxic

On the one hand... on 16:23 - Mar 12 with 2225 viewsRyorry

Correct, I used the wrong terminology - wrote "freebies" where I actually meant "matched bets/betting", thanks for clarifying :)

On the one hand... on 16:27 - Mar 12 with 2213 viewscaught-in-limbo

On the one hand... on 15:31 - Mar 12 by Ryorry

To be fair, the original thread finishes with the line:

"Good luck avoiding gambling in the future kids."

To claim that Marshall's Mullet and I have turned this into a thread about child psychology and addiction is evidence that you missed the essence of the OT.

#toxic

On the one hand... on 16:39 - Mar 12 with 2196 viewsRyorry

On the one hand... on 16:27 - Mar 12 by caught-in-limbo

To claim that Marshall's Mullet and I have turned this into a thread about child psychology and addiction is evidence that you missed the essence of the OT.

In the post you refer to, I specifically and exclusively referred to the Betway and Skyway offers, the latter in particular J2 has just said is a genuine freebie.

Elsewhere I stated categorically that the always moving perimeter hoardings and shirt advertising during 90mins for games give vastly greater exposure to all, incl kids, that they can't avoid seeing for 90 mins, so it's you who's missed the essence of my posts.

On the one hand... on 16:48 - Mar 12 with 2185 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Indeed.

On the one hand... on 17:15 - Mar 12 with 2158 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

On the one hand... on 16:27 - Mar 12 by caught-in-limbo

Indeed.

And there is a clear reason why every betting advert comes with a safety warning.

Gambling cannot be separated from addiction entirely.
[Post edited 12 Mar 2019 17:16]

on 07:33 - Mar 13 with 2099 views_

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024