Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Metro: how has club owned by UK's 167th richest man been allowed to decline? 13:36 - Apr 12 with 1731 viewstpsontour

Good Evans, Ipswich are in a state of real decline
The Payne game EFL
JOHN PAYNE

IPSWICH are likely to drop out of the top two divisions for the first time in 52 years tomorrow, and the most damning part of it is nobody should be surprised.

Tractor Boys fans were being warned to be careful what they wished for when they hounded out Mick McCarthy a year ago this week with the club firmly in mid-table.

Centre-back Adam Webster and strikers Martyn Waghorn, David McGoldrick and Joe Garner also left in the summer, leaving gaping holes in a squad already light on quality.

McCarthy's successor Paul Hurst has got much of the blame. Like the manager himself, much of Ipswich's summer recruitment came from the lower divisions.

It should also be pointed out the experienced Jon Walters suffered an Achilles injury in his second game and that, with ten points from just 15 games before getting sacked, Hurst's record is no worse than what has followed.

The biggest ripple caused by replacement Paul Lambert was his red card against Norwich, which somehow felt contrived.

Getting in a pointless scrap with staff from his former club may have earned brownie points with Ipswich fans but three wins from 26 games so far tells its own story.

The real puzzle about Ipswich is how a club owned by the 167th richest man in the UK have been allowed to languish in such a way.

Marcus Evans may not want to throw good money after bad but making a healthy transfermarket profit has left his club with the poorest squad in the Championship. Now they are heading for League One.
That comment about Lambert's red card..... on 13:39 - Apr 12 with 1702 viewsBloots

....is spot on.

And funny.

Elite Level Poster: Elite Level Supporter: Elite Level Human

Metro: how has club owned by UK's 167th richest man been allowed to decline? on 13:53 - Apr 12 with 1618 views66notout

The first rule of journalism is surely to ensure your facts are correct - it will be our first experience of third tier football in 62, not 52, years.
Metro: how has club owned by UK's 167th richest man been allowed to decline? on 13:56 - Apr 12 with 1599 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Oh god, this is getting boring.

There is general comment, but all of this is looking more like a media agenda.

Bring on next season.

I have no regrets.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Arf on 13:57 - Apr 12 with 1595 viewsDyland

Well done the Metro for making even the execrable Sun publish an article that in comparison looks like informed investigative journalism.

The state of sh1t. Fook me.

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

Metro: how has club owned by UK's 167th richest man been allowed to decline? on 14:04 - Apr 12 with 1554 viewsPJH

Metro: how has club owned by UK's 167th richest man been allowed to decline? on 13:53 - Apr 12 by 66notout

The first rule of journalism is surely to ensure your facts are correct - it will be our first experience of third tier football in 62, not 52, years.

It might just be a typo by the OP but if that is what was actually in the Metro then 52 years ago we were just one season away from returning to the top division.
Metro: how has club owned by UK's 167th richest man been allowed to decline? on 14:05 - Apr 12 with 1552 viewsWhymarkmariner

Mostly correct. But I don't recall many fans telling McCarthy to eff off whereas he on the other hand.I also don't think it's too much to ask to be entertained when you pay a decent wedge to watch overpaid professionals kick a bag of wind about. Also although it has been pointer out numerous times about PL's record against PH's PL hasn't had the benefit of getting his own players in except for the January window when it was almost impossible to get anyone except for those that came in due to our precarious position. ME's record doesn't as you say read well but we don't know all the circumstances. Jewell and Keane had very decent budgets, McCarthy and Hurst had scraps and as yet Lambert hasn't had a budget apart from the loan players and been allowed to keep Judge and maybe Keane and Collins ? But we will still need to spend possibly 2-3 million on securing some cover and a decent Division One striker.
Metro: how has club owned by UK's 167th richest man been allowed to decline? on 14:16 - Apr 12 with 1518 viewsiamipswich

Metro: how has club owned by UK's 167th richest man been allowed to decline? on 14:05 - Apr 12 by Whymarkmariner

Mostly correct. But I don't recall many fans telling McCarthy to eff off whereas he on the other hand.I also don't think it's too much to ask to be entertained when you pay a decent wedge to watch overpaid professionals kick a bag of wind about. Also although it has been pointer out numerous times about PL's record against PH's PL hasn't had the benefit of getting his own players in except for the January window when it was almost impossible to get anyone except for those that came in due to our precarious position. ME's record doesn't as you say read well but we don't know all the circumstances. Jewell and Keane had very decent budgets, McCarthy and Hurst had scraps and as yet Lambert hasn't had a budget apart from the loan players and been allowed to keep Judge and maybe Keane and Collins ? But we will still need to spend possibly 2-3 million on securing some cover and a decent Division One striker.

'Mostly correct. But I don't recall many fans telling McCarthy to eff off whereas he on the other hand'

I do

Poll: Who will return first?

Metro: how has club owned by UK's 167th richest man been allowed to decline? on 14:26 - Apr 12 with 1480 viewsSomethingBlue

Metro: how has club owned by UK's 167th richest man been allowed to decline? on 13:56 - Apr 12 by Marshalls_Mullet

Oh god, this is getting boring.

There is general comment, but all of this is looking more like a media agenda.

Bring on next season.

I have no regrets.

It's not an "agenda", what tired use of a tired word for tired minds. It's just comment on something topical.

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

Login to get fewer ads

Metro: how has club owned by UK's 167th richest man been allowed to decline? on 16:18 - Apr 12 with 1355 viewsGuthrum

That article shows a complete lack of understanding of the way wealth lists work.

Also of the circumstances under which those players left. Also of the quality of squad Lambert inherited (and was unable to change until January).

Mentions Walters but not the injuries to Sears and Keane (equally significant).

Doesn't accurately reflect events on the touchline at Carrow Road (the 'scrap' was not initiated by Lambert).

That's before considering most of the numbers are wrong (60 years, 9 points from 14)

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024