Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The usual Brenner Wooley complaint. 15:54 - Aug 4 with 5229 viewsGeoffSentence

It's his pharaseology isn't it, sometimes he sounds like he is willing the opposition on.

"Another Burton corner, can they make this one count"

That sort of thing. It is no wonder people get narked about him.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

The usual Brenner Wooley complaint. on 15:59 - Aug 4 with 2887 viewsJ2BLUE

People are very oversensitive. There's nothing wrong with that line at all.

He had one tool, his voice, to give people a picture of what is happening. It baffles me that so many can't see that and need to take offence over absolutely nothing.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

The usual Brenner Wooley complaint. on 16:00 - Aug 4 with 2864 viewsmonty_radio

I thought that his questions to PL at the Friday Presser were unusually trenchant for him. Not only so, but he continued to press the point after PL had batted him away with those "what do you think? / why don't you ask him?" responses. I gave him full marks for his persistence and absence of the more usual anodyne questioning that just requires the manager to agree that: "player X / Y / Z is playing well, isn't he?".

Blog: Too Many Suspects? – A Swede Ramble

The usual Brenner Wooley complaint. on 16:03 - Aug 4 with 2829 viewsGeoffSentence

The usual Brenner Wooley complaint. on 15:59 - Aug 4 by J2BLUE

He had one tool, his voice, to give people a picture of what is happening. It baffles me that so many can't see that and need to take offence over absolutely nothing.

Well, maybe, but from my point of view, and judging by the level of complaints that come his way on here I am not the only one, the whole listening experience would be much better if it sounded like he was one of us, like he he was hoping the opposition wouldn't make their corners count, for instance.

The usual Brenner Wooley complaint. on 16:04 - Aug 4 with 2826 viewsEastTownBlue

My favourite is when people insist that he has a Norfolk accent even though he is from Berwick.
The usual Brenner Wooley complaint. on 16:04 - Aug 4 with 2813 viewsGeoffSentence

The usual Brenner Wooley complaint. on 16:04 - Aug 4 by EastTownBlue

My favourite is when people insist that he has a Norfolk accent even though he is from Berwick.

I've never heard that one before.

The usual Brenner Wooley complaint. on 16:08 - Aug 4 with 2794 viewsbraveblue

Nonsense
The usual Brenner Wooley complaint. on 16:09 - Aug 4 with 2786 viewsGeoffSentence

The usual Brenner Wooley complaint. on 16:08 - Aug 4 by braveblue

Nonsense

Righto.

The usual Brenner Wooley complaint. on 16:15 - Aug 4 with 2753 viewsNaylorsboots

I thought he was a lot more forthright with his questioning of how Lambert was feeling. I also thought his commentary yesterday was one of his better ones with Mathie. Both were quite positive, which makes a change
Login to get fewer ads

The usual Brenner Wooley complaint. on 16:18 - Aug 4 with 2737 viewsGeoffSentence

The usual Brenner Wooley complaint. on 16:15 - Aug 4 by Naylorsboots

I thought he was a lot more forthright with his questioning of how Lambert was feeling. I also thought his commentary yesterday was one of his better ones with Mathie. Both were quite positive, which makes a change

I think the positivity was a consequence of us being less shlt. I don't think he's a bad commentator, I just wish he wouldn't slip into sounding like he was behind the opposition rather than us.

The usual Brenner Wooley complaint. on 16:21 - Aug 4 with 2722 viewsNthsuffolkblue

I think the difficulty is conveying the sense of a big moment in the game and how dangerous it is. When we are only listening with half an ear, it is sometimes difficult to tell whether that is for us or against us. If you listen intently you know which end it is at (generally).

Even then, there are moments where you are going "what's happening? Is it in or not?" But that is the skill of good commentary.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

The usual Brenner Wooley complaint. on 16:27 - Aug 4 with 2679 viewsBlueBadger

Anyone who thinks Brenner doesn't care about ITFC didn't hear his commentary on the Swansea away game last season.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

The usual Brenner Wooley complaint. on 16:29 - Aug 4 with 2661 viewsGeoffSentence

The usual Brenner Wooley complaint. on 16:27 - Aug 4 by BlueBadger

Anyone who thinks Brenner doesn't care about ITFC didn't hear his commentary on the Swansea away game last season.

He has his moments, that Coventry game was another. I just wish he could keep it up all game every game.

The usual Brenner Wooley complaint. on 16:32 - Aug 4 with 2648 viewsTractorWood

For county radio I think he's pretty decent. The supporting commentator can be more questionable. I only understood about 40% of Alex Mathie yesterday.

I know that was then, but it could be again..
Poll: At present who do you think you'll vote for?

The usual Brenner Wooley complaint. on 16:33 - Aug 4 with 2642 viewsGeoffSentence

The usual Brenner Wooley complaint. on 16:32 - Aug 4 by TractorWood

For county radio I think he's pretty decent. The supporting commentator can be more questionable. I only understood about 40% of Alex Mathie yesterday.

Ha! At least he sounded sober yesterday.

The usual Brenner Wooley complaint. on 16:35 - Aug 4 with 2627 viewsBlueBadger

The usual Brenner Wooley complaint. on 16:29 - Aug 4 by GeoffSentence

He has his moments, that Coventry game was another. I just wish he could keep it up all game every game.

Probably quite hard to maintain that level of excitement and involvement during the more run-of-the-mill matches in all fairness.

I don't get the complaints about him 'dramatising' Town's opposition on the attack, for example. His job is to describe the game, convey what's going on and give a 'feel' for it, if that means altering your tone when the opposition are on the front foot then that's what you do.

If people want a genuinely 'impartial', to the point commentary they should give us on SoS and just go by BBC live text.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

The usual Brenner Wooley complaint. on 16:38 - Aug 4 with 2623 viewsTractorWood

The usual Brenner Wooley complaint. on 16:35 - Aug 4 by BlueBadger

Probably quite hard to maintain that level of excitement and involvement during the more run-of-the-mill matches in all fairness.

I don't get the complaints about him 'dramatising' Town's opposition on the attack, for example. His job is to describe the game, convey what's going on and give a 'feel' for it, if that means altering your tone when the opposition are on the front foot then that's what you do.

If people want a genuinely 'impartial', to the point commentary they should give us on SoS and just go by BBC live text.

Agree. I think Brenner normally balances out the blatant bias of Mick Mills or Alex Mathie quiet well.

Some county radio football commentators are just 90 minutes of bias nonsense.

I know that was then, but it could be again..
Poll: At present who do you think you'll vote for?

The usual Brenner Wooley complaint. on 16:42 - Aug 4 with 2608 viewsNthsuffolkblue

The usual Brenner Wooley complaint. on 16:32 - Aug 4 by TractorWood

Mick Mills talks some sense but I prefer Mathie. Partly because Mills sounds so dour and partly because Mills talks as if he could put it right when his managerial record says otherwise.

Mathie talks as if he could have done better on the pitch (which clearly he could have) and with a passion for the Town, which I like. But he doesn't talk as if he could set right the tactics.

The usual Brenner Wooley complaint. on 16:43 - Aug 4 with 2601 viewsGeoffSentence

The usual Brenner Wooley complaint. on 16:38 - Aug 4 by TractorWood

Agree. I think Brenner normally balances out the blatant bias of Mick Mills or Alex Mathie quiet well.

Some county radio football commentators are just 90 minutes of bias nonsense.

I am not asking for 'biased nonsense', though the BBC did used to advertise local radio football as being ust that, just that he should avoid sounding like he was biased the other way. And from time to time, not all the time, he does.

The usual Brenner Wooley complaint. on 16:43 - Aug 4 with 2597 viewsPositivelyPortman

The usual Brenner Wooley complaint. on 16:00 - Aug 4 by monty_radio

I thought that his questions to PL at the Friday Presser were unusually trenchant for him. Not only so, but he continued to press the point after PL had batted him away with those "what do you think? / why don't you ask him?" responses. I gave him full marks for his persistence and absence of the more usual anodyne questioning that just requires the manager to agree that: "player X / Y / Z is playing well, isn't he?".

I get the strong impression that PL isn’t that keen on him. His responses to the other questioners, including our Phil, were far more amiable.

Poll: Are we happy with the takeover?

The usual Brenner Wooley complaint. on 17:18 - Aug 4 with 2471 viewsBloomBlue

Surely his job is to commentate on the game and be impartial. What's he supposed to do shout "go on Chambers break his leg"
The usual Brenner Wooley complaint. on 17:39 - Aug 4 with 2413 viewsGeoffSentence

The usual Brenner Wooley complaint. on 17:18 - Aug 4 by BloomBlue

Surely his job is to commentate on the game and be impartial. What's he supposed to do shout "go on Chambers break his leg"

He doesn't have to be impartial, he's a local radio commentator.

But getting to your other point, I have answered that a couple of times already, just avoid sounding like he is supporting the oppo.

The usual Brenner Wooley complaint. on 17:42 - Aug 4 with 2402 viewsSwailsey

Oh thank God, I was worried this wouldn’t make it to L1!

Who said: "Colin Healy made Cesc Fabregas look like Colin Healy"? | We miss you TLA

The usual Brenner Wooley complaint. on 17:44 - Aug 4 with 2380 viewsjeera

Although in principle you're right, I still know what the OP means.

I wanna hear, "Burton have a corner - let's hope they feck it right up", or to the tune of...

I can't help but think of Terry Baxter and Beattie and smile at the difference.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

The usual Brenner Wooley complaint. on 17:47 - Aug 4 with 2380 viewsNthsuffolkblue

The usual Brenner Wooley complaint. on 17:18 - Aug 4 by BloomBlue

I could just about imagine Ray Crawford doing that when he was on.

I wonder how many complaints the station would get if Brenner did say something like that.

The usual Brenner Wooley complaint. on 17:57 - Aug 4 with 2346 viewsJ2BLUE

The usual Brenner Wooley complaint. on 16:43 - Aug 4 by GeoffSentence

I am not asking for 'biased nonsense', though the BBC did used to advertise local radio football as being ust that, just that he should avoid sounding like he was biased the other way. And from time to time, not all the time, he does.

*insert picture of crying baby here*

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024