Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Style of play this season 11:30 - Aug 5 with 1330 viewsDarth_Koont

You can't read too much into one game, especially away from home and one where we took an early lead. But I thought we looked much more comfortable and dangerous playing on the counter attack than we did last season trying to go toe to toe in midfield and work our way through teams.

The big difference seems to be we didn't have a player like Norwood last season so we couldn't get the ball up to the forwards quickly and expect it to stick or be used that productively. I think he's going to be massively important for us this season even if he only scrapes into double figures himself.

The standard will be lower so I'm sure we can also do better than last season when we have a lot of possession. But if we're going to go up this season it'll be through taking the lead, protecting it and even extending it. And from that perspective, Saturday was very encouraging.

We just need to keep doing it.

Pronouns: He/Him

Yeah, we can hoof it..... on 11:40 - Aug 5 with 1259 viewsBloots

....now we've got Nors.

Elite Level Poster: Elite Level Supporter: Elite Level Human

Style of play this season on 11:46 - Aug 5 with 1243 viewsGerkensBeard

I like the fact we can mix it up. I see 4-4-2 and 4-2-3-1 as strong as each other. 4-4-2 you get Norwood and Jackson up top. 4-2-3-1 you get Judge behind Norwood with us dominating possession. I also liked the balance of the midfield Saturday. Downes and Skuse easily able to play in a 2 even against a 3 man midfield. Rowe cutting in and driving at defenders was dangerous. Garbutt neat and tidy and a threat from outside the box.
I think we will stick with it Saturday. Sunderland having started with a 4-4-2 and had the best defensive record last season.
Style of play this season on 11:47 - Aug 5 with 1235 viewsitfcjoe

Counter attacking was the biggest thing we worked on in pre season training

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Style of play this season on 11:50 - Aug 5 with 1224 viewsMrTown

I do agree, whilst we did look comfortable on the ball as you'd expect as we have technically good players at this level, we moved the ball a lot quicker at Burton which caused some problems on the counter attack.

The goal was a quick move, Rowe's first half beautiful counter attack came from Holy, Mizouni's beatiful skill to create Huws' shot came from a counter attack.

Certainly noticed it as well.

Poll: Would love to know the opinions on here now of Lambert genuinely?

Style of play this season on 11:59 - Aug 5 with 1187 viewsDarth_Koont

Style of play this season on 11:47 - Aug 5 by itfcjoe

Counter attacking was the biggest thing we worked on in pre season training

Probably how we use Judge more effectively too. He always wants to do things quickly, which didn't really help him or us last season.

But we've got him plus Edwards, Jackson and even Dozzell (with his ability to spot a killer ball) who could all do better with a more direct approach, I think. And Norwood seemed to be in his element getting all types of balls played up to him rather than fewer balls played into his feet.

Style of play this season on 13:13 - Aug 5 with 1037 viewsunstableblue

Rowe and Downes seemed key to the system... and at times the speed of passing and movement was excellent.

Norwood takes so many defenders away from pushing up on our midfield, that he is transforming us. He's very strong.

Noticeably on Saturday he was in goal scoring positions, where he could have been found or a ball dropped to him on so many occasions.... have to get Huws or Judge in the team (perhaps at the expense of Skuse) to feed him.

Downes is also giving us a bite we have been missing for seasons... I do worry we are becoming very reliant on him!!

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

Style of play this season on 13:28 - Aug 5 with 970 viewsDarth_Koont

Style of play this season on 13:13 - Aug 5 by unstableblue

Rowe and Downes seemed key to the system... and at times the speed of passing and movement was excellent.

Norwood takes so many defenders away from pushing up on our midfield, that he is transforming us. He's very strong.

Noticeably on Saturday he was in goal scoring positions, where he could have been found or a ball dropped to him on so many occasions.... have to get Huws or Judge in the team (perhaps at the expense of Skuse) to feed him.

Downes is also giving us a bite we have been missing for seasons... I do worry we are becoming very reliant on him!!

I think Rowe (on Saturday's showing) and Downes are very good for the rough and tumble of this league. But for me the key players look to be Holy and Norwood.

Holy has a ginormous boot that keeps the opposition defence "honest" and doesn't let them press up the pitch. And his distribution into the available space was good too.

Then we have Norwood who, despite his ability on the ball, looks like he can still thrive on these huge punts or early balls from the defence and midfield.

It's just one game but on that limited evidence they seem to have stretched our play and made us much more direct and dangerous.

Style of play this season on 13:29 - Aug 5 with 962 viewsNthsuffolkblue

I think Holy and Norwood help with the counter-attacking style.

Holy seems good at quickly spotting and finding a player in space - he threw the ball to Norwood on the halfway line at one point I believe and that sort of distribution featured highly on the highlights video of him. He may not be as good a keeper as Bart, but that side is far better.

We need other players to be looking for space ready for that as well.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Login to get fewer ads

Style of play this season on 13:32 - Aug 5 with 945 viewsDarth_Koont

Style of play this season on 13:29 - Aug 5 by Nthsuffolkblue

I think Holy and Norwood help with the counter-attacking style.

Holy seems good at quickly spotting and finding a player in space - he threw the ball to Norwood on the halfway line at one point I believe and that sort of distribution featured highly on the highlights video of him. He may not be as good a keeper as Bart, but that side is far better.

We need other players to be looking for space ready for that as well.

Agreed.

Great minds think alike. Or fools seldom differ?

Either way we looked different on Saturday with them playing.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024