Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Doesn't seem to be many tickets sold for Gillingham Tuesday 14:53 - Oct 6 with 4637 viewsrgp1

Quite surprising considering we are top and have very few home games coming up?
[Post edited 6 Oct 2019 14:53]
Doesn't seem to be many tickets sold for Gillingham Tuesday on 17:00 - Oct 6 with 4463 viewsTheBoyBlue

But so many - myself included - simply can't take a competition that includes U21 teams seriously as a 1st team competition. In every respect it is a sign of how far we've fallen and I couldn't care less what we do in it. In fact, having seen how much it hampered Portsmouth and Sunderland's seasons last season, I'd rather we get knocked out at the earliest opportunity.

Blog: [Blog] The Homer Simpson of the Championship

Doesn't seem to be many tickets sold for Gillingham Tuesday on 17:26 - Oct 6 with 4402 viewsBent_double

Doesn't seem to be many tickets sold for Gillingham Tuesday on 17:00 - Oct 6 by TheBoyBlue

But so many - myself included - simply can't take a competition that includes U21 teams seriously as a 1st team competition. In every respect it is a sign of how far we've fallen and I couldn't care less what we do in it. In fact, having seen how much it hampered Portsmouth and Sunderland's seasons last season, I'd rather we get knocked out at the earliest opportunity.

I'm in two minds about the whole competition personally.

On the one hand you've got the PL 'U21 teams' issue - doesn't bother me too much, although it's clearly part of a long term plan to introduce those teams into the L1/L2 structure, which I don't agree with.

On the other hand, we have a large squad, with a few players coming back from injury and some out-of-form, they all need game time, and what better way than these almost meaningless cup games, so maybe a run to the quarters/semis would be good on the whole.

I won't be going Tuesday though. I would if it were a league game.

Poll: So what do we think will happen with MM and the Aston Villa job?

Doesn't seem to be many tickets sold for Gillingham Tuesday on 17:32 - Oct 6 with 4377 viewswkj

If the trophy was a pure knock out cup with the L1 and L2 like it used to be, I would attend it more willingly, but I think EFL have bungled everything up with the format of the cup, even before you consider the Category 1 youth teams participating. If you ask me the EFT Trophy should be like it was when it was the JPT trophy and maybe a preseason good causes cup game between the EFL Cup winners and EFL Trophy winners like the community shield might make it a bit more tempting.

Or maybe even a 4th round seed into the next years EFL cup to add a bit of a grand prize feel to the competition.
[Post edited 6 Oct 2019 17:34]

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Doesn't seem to be many tickets sold for Gillingham Tuesday on 18:16 - Oct 6 with 4281 viewsLRB84UK

I see both sides of this, it's a good chance to look at players coming back from injury and give them a chance but also a injury/tiredness risk. Personally I'm going as theres no home games for a while and away games are an issue at the moment.

I would like to see, if we get to wembly for the final how many fans will go? All the ones who have rubbished it and not gone to any games will they suddenly fancy a day out at wembly? Also, what squad would play? The fringe that got us there or the 1st team?
Doesn't seem to be many tickets sold for Gillingham Tuesday on 18:18 - Oct 6 with 4272 viewswkj

Doesn't seem to be many tickets sold for Gillingham Tuesday on 18:16 - Oct 6 by LRB84UK

I see both sides of this, it's a good chance to look at players coming back from injury and give them a chance but also a injury/tiredness risk. Personally I'm going as theres no home games for a while and away games are an issue at the moment.

I would like to see, if we get to wembly for the final how many fans will go? All the ones who have rubbished it and not gone to any games will they suddenly fancy a day out at wembly? Also, what squad would play? The fringe that got us there or the 1st team?

I will go to the games beyond the group stage, it may sound odd, but for me a cup run is boring with a group stage, it works in Europe, but not in a domestic cup.

Crybaby

Doesn't seem to be many tickets sold for Gillingham Tuesday on 18:42 - Oct 6 with 4221 viewsTheBoyBlue

Doesn't seem to be many tickets sold for Gillingham Tuesday on 17:26 - Oct 6 by Bent_double

On the one hand you've got the PL 'U21 teams' issue - doesn't bother me too much, although it's clearly part of a long term plan to introduce those teams into the L1/L2 structure, which I don't agree with.

On the other hand, we have a large squad, with a few players coming back from injury and some out-of-form, they all need game time, and what better way than these almost meaningless cup games, so maybe a run to the quarters/semis would be good on the whole.

It's such a nothing competition. Even if we won it, who will look back on it fondly in a few years? And if we are it would suggest we're in a dreadful way by that point.

That said, I agree about trying out fringe players to an extent. Still prefer to be out of it ASAP.

Blog: [Blog] The Homer Simpson of the Championship

Doesn't seem to be many tickets sold for Gillingham Tuesday on 18:45 - Oct 6 with 4211 viewsHipsterectomy

I just think of them as a more competitive reserve games to allow a trial of personnel/tactics

Walter Smith's Barmy Army

Doesn't seem to be many tickets sold for Gillingham Tuesday on 20:45 - Oct 6 with 4063 viewsEastTownBlue

Doesn't seem to be many tickets sold for Gillingham Tuesday on 18:16 - Oct 6 by LRB84UK

Don’t forget that Paul Lambert doesn’t see the point of the competition either.

We would sell out our Wembley allocation if we got there. That would make us no different to any other club in the history of the competition in the respect of more supporters turning up than in the previous rounds. I suspect the Colchester allocation would sell rather well too.
Login to get fewer ads

Doesn't seem to be many tickets sold for Gillingham Tuesday on 20:59 - Oct 6 with 4001 viewsMelford

I can't go because I'm working but if I wasn't I'd go and sit behind the dugouts just to see what goes on between Lambert and Steve Evans.

Dragging TWTD into the gutter since 2009
Poll: What do you call this site?

Doesn't seem to be many tickets sold for Gillingham Tuesday on 21:02 - Oct 6 with 3984 viewswkj

Doesn't seem to be many tickets sold for Gillingham Tuesday on 20:59 - Oct 6 by Melford

I can't go because I'm working but if I wasn't I'd go and sit behind the dugouts just to see what goes on between Lambert and Steve Evans.

Good point, just bought my ticket.

Crybaby

Doesn't seem to be many tickets sold for Gillingham Tuesday on 21:07 - Oct 6 with 3969 viewsrgp1

Doesn't seem to be many tickets sold for Gillingham Tuesday on 20:45 - Oct 6 by EastTownBlue

Don’t forget that Paul Lambert doesn’t see the point of the competition either.

We would sell out our Wembley allocation if we got there. That would make us no different to any other club in the history of the competition in the respect of more supporters turning up than in the previous rounds. I suspect the Colchester allocation would sell rather well too.

I get the ' pointless cup competition arguments' however why take part if you don't want to win? Any one remember the league cup semi final? That was pointless until we played Arsenal!
Doesn't seem to be many tickets sold for Gillingham Tuesday on 21:15 - Oct 6 with 3945 viewsSwailsey

I’m going, partly for the novelty of it (hoping we won’t be back here again!) but also because it’s cheap, more football and a chance to see some fringe players.

Plus Lambert vs Crook.

I get why people won’t though.

Who said: "Colin Healy made Cesc Fabregas look like Colin Healy"? | We miss you TLA

Doesn't seem to be many tickets sold for Gillingham Tuesday on 22:20 - Oct 6 with 3830 viewssolemio

Doesn't seem to be many tickets sold for Gillingham Tuesday on 21:07 - Oct 6 by rgp1

I get the ' pointless cup competition arguments' however why take part if you don't want to win? Any one remember the league cup semi final? That was pointless until we played Arsenal!

The option to not take part is not available!
Doesn't seem to be many tickets sold for Gillingham Tuesday on 22:30 - Oct 6 with 3807 viewswkj

Doesn't seem to be many tickets sold for Gillingham Tuesday on 22:20 - Oct 6 by solemio

The option to not take part is not available!

Aiye, you get fined for fielding an atypical squad selection, a lot of small clubs couldn't assume that fine even if it is small in footballing standards. Financial sanctions on small clubs not wanting to knacker their league campaigns is another huge reason I dislike the competition.

Crybaby

Doesn't seem to be many tickets sold for Gillingham Tuesday on 22:46 - Oct 6 with 3775 viewsActionMan

Doesn't seem to be many tickets sold for Gillingham Tuesday on 18:42 - Oct 6 by TheBoyBlue

It's such a nothing competition. Even if we won it, who will look back on it fondly in a few years? And if we are it would suggest we're in a dreadful way by that point.

That said, I agree about trying out fringe players to an extent. Still prefer to be out of it ASAP.

We've not won a trophy since the year 2000.I don't think we're in any position to call anything a nothing Trophy. It's a competition for third division clubs, we're a third division club, we should be able to win it.

Always amuses me when we call the League Cup a Mickey Mouse cup every season we exit but we've not won anything major since the early 1980s, let's get real folks. No competition is beneath us any more. Did Sir Bobby take the Texaco Cup lightly? George Burley always put 100% into cups, we beat Blackburn who were Champi, same with Manure and more and reached a few quarter and semi finals and it was enjoyable. I can tell you what's not enjoyable. Losing every single cup game we play.
Doesn't seem to be many tickets sold for Gillingham Tuesday on 22:56 - Oct 6 with 3753 viewswkj

Doesn't seem to be many tickets sold for Gillingham Tuesday on 22:46 - Oct 6 by ActionMan

We've not won a trophy since the year 2000.I don't think we're in any position to call anything a nothing Trophy. It's a competition for third division clubs, we're a third division club, we should be able to win it.

Always amuses me when we call the League Cup a Mickey Mouse cup every season we exit but we've not won anything major since the early 1980s, let's get real folks. No competition is beneath us any more. Did Sir Bobby take the Texaco Cup lightly? George Burley always put 100% into cups, we beat Blackburn who were Champi, same with Manure and more and reached a few quarter and semi finals and it was enjoyable. I can tell you what's not enjoyable. Losing every single cup game we play.

The EFLT isnt nicky mouse because it is for league 3 and 4 teams, it is because of the way it is ran and the sanctions that clubs face, particularly shallow squads, if they are desperate to focus on the league, as that is where the better rewards lie. As I've said, if the EFLT was in the same format as it was in the JPT years I'd be well up for it.

Crybaby

Doesn't seem to be many tickets sold for Gillingham Tuesday on 23:19 - Oct 6 with 3710 viewspatrickswell

Doesn't seem to be many tickets sold for Gillingham Tuesday on 22:46 - Oct 6 by ActionMan

Don’t forget that in an alternative 1984-85 season, Bobby Ferguson leads us out at Wembley in both domestic cup finals.
Doesn't seem to be many tickets sold for Gillingham Tuesday on 13:03 - Oct 7 with 3351 viewsfloridaboy

Might be worth a look just to see how Lambert and Fatboy Evans fair on the touchline!

Could be very interesting!!
Doesn't seem to be many tickets sold for Gillingham Tuesday on 13:09 - Oct 7 with 3333 viewsTractorCam

Doesn't seem to be many tickets sold for Gillingham Tuesday on 17:26 - Oct 6 by Bent_double

A run to the semis would be diabolical if we then don't get to Wembley.

Poll: An interesting day for our politicians, but which one is worse?

Doesn't seem to be many tickets sold for Gillingham Tuesday on 18:48 - Oct 7 with 3113 viewsrgp1

Absolutely agree 100 per cent. Imagine going on a pub crawl and buying 10 pints and only drinking 2 of them, not because you are P1ssed but because you cant be arsed to drink them.
Doesn't seem to be many tickets sold for Gillingham Tuesday on 20:07 - Oct 7 with 3035 viewsEwan_Oozami

Myself and Eldest Oozami are going - the match against Spurs U21s was actually quite good, some of the fringe players put on a good show - plus there's a bit of unfinished business from Gillingham so could be a feisty one!

Just one small problem; sell their houses to who, Ben? Fcking Aquaman?
Poll: What else could go on top of the cake apart from icing and a cherry?

Doesn't seem to be many tickets sold for Gillingham Tuesday on 21:40 - Oct 7 with 2941 viewsSwailsey

Doesn't seem to be many tickets sold for Gillingham Tuesday on 20:07 - Oct 7 by Ewan_Oozami

Myself and Eldest Oozami are going - the match against Spurs U21s was actually quite good, some of the fringe players put on a good show - plus there's a bit of unfinished business from Gillingham so could be a feisty one!

Plus they’re an actual team!

Who said: "Colin Healy made Cesc Fabregas look like Colin Healy"? | We miss you TLA

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024