Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Anybody ever bought a used/second hand phone? 08:23 - Nov 1 with 1801 viewsbobbyramsey

From somewhere like ebay? Apart from the odd cosmetic issue what should I be looking out for? Some seem to come with a 12 month warranty.

Would you?

Cheers.
Anybody ever bought a used/second hand phone? on 08:55 - Nov 1 with 1771 viewsdavblue

i've done it a long time ago when Ebay was in it's infancy.

Have you looked around for refurbished ones from phone shops/networks?

I personally would avoid Ebay there's too many crooks on there, especially ones who are advertising warranty unless it was from a refurb shop.
Anybody ever bought a used/second hand phone? on 09:36 - Nov 1 with 1756 viewsJohnny_Boy

I can only offer you personal experiences of gifting someone a 2nd hand iPhone from eBay.

1. Are the people upgrading or is there a problem with the phone itself?
There was an issue with the headphone jack. When using headphones, they tend to crackle.

2. Failing battery life.
Often, one of the main reasons people get rid of their old phones. However a replacement official Apple battery can be replaced for around £100.
Anybody ever bought a used/second hand phone? on 09:54 - Nov 1 with 1729 viewsArgyle_blue

Just bought one from GiffGaff and they were good. 12 month warranty included
Anybody ever bought a used/second hand phone? on 10:30 - Nov 1 with 1705 viewsvilanovablue

I'd try and buy a refurbed/second hand phone from a shop there are plenty of options. That way you will almost certainly get some sort of warranty even if it is only 3 months (which for a second hand phone is plenty as any issues are likely to be noticeable pretty quickly). You will then have somewhere to return it to. It might cost a little more but I think that is a price worth paying.
Anybody ever bought a used/second hand phone? on 10:42 - Nov 1 with 1695 viewsBent_double

I bought one from ebay just over a year ago, no problems with it, still working fine, but I only really use it for calls and texts, not apps.

I recently bought a tablet (ipad) from the local Cex shop as I was worried about buying from ebay, glad I did because there was an issue with it being an older ios, so it was easy to take back and swap with a Samsung android tablet.

Poll: So what do we think will happen with MM and the Aston Villa job?

Anybody ever bought a used/second hand phone? on 10:57 - Nov 1 with 1670 viewsVaughan8

It might be worth ringing up your network and asking if they have any "used" phones.

With EE I needed a second phone for work but I just needed a cheap little thing which took calls. Their cheapest phone was too much so they offered me a discount on a "used" phone. They called it something else but it was basically phones that had been sent out to people, who had used them for about a week and didn't like them and sent them back. Presumably they got 7 or 14 days period to get a refund or swap or something.

Just a thing I have experienced but this was a couple of years ago so might not even do this now.

If it has a warranty at least you have some backup. Without one you just have to trust people aren't selling you a load of rubbish...…which they might be! I would just be careful buying off eBay. Might be worth trying CEX on the high street?
Anybody ever bought a used/second hand phone? on 11:26 - Nov 1 with 1647 viewsCotton_eyed_joe

I have bought 4 phones from ebay, 3 through sellers who offered 12 month warranty and the last one was a private seller. All the phones have been in very good condition and worked well. If u do I recommend a seller with high seller rating and 12 month warranty. I go for the phones with 'A' grade condition.
[Post edited 1 Nov 2019 11:28]
Anybody ever bought a used/second hand phone? on 11:32 - Nov 1 with 1627 viewsClapham_Junction

Anybody ever bought a used/second hand phone? on 10:57 - Nov 1 by Vaughan8

It might be worth ringing up your network and asking if they have any "used" phones.

With EE I needed a second phone for work but I just needed a cheap little thing which took calls. Their cheapest phone was too much so they offered me a discount on a "used" phone. They called it something else but it was basically phones that had been sent out to people, who had used them for about a week and didn't like them and sent them back. Presumably they got 7 or 14 days period to get a refund or swap or something.

Just a thing I have experienced but this was a couple of years ago so might not even do this now.

If it has a warranty at least you have some backup. Without one you just have to trust people aren't selling you a load of rubbish...…which they might be! I would just be careful buying off eBay. Might be worth trying CEX on the high street?

I have bought my last three phones from CEX and had no problems with them at all. Good length of warranty too.
Login to get fewer ads

Anybody ever bought a used/second hand phone? on 12:00 - Nov 1 with 1601 viewsSouperJim

eBay has fantastic buyer protection, to the point of it being open to abuse. Anything you're not happy with or doesn't match the description, open a returns request, the seller has to pay for your return postage and eBay automatically refund you as soon as the tracking shows delivered. It's almost completely risk-free for buyers and you'll pay a lot less from a private seller than you will from somewhere like cex.

You could also try the mobile phone classifieds on avforums.com - pay with paypal using a credit card and you have a lot of protection.

Poll: Prawn Crackers
Blog: Broken Ipswich

Anybody ever bought a used/second hand phone? on 12:03 - Nov 1 with 1595 viewsfooters

Anybody ever bought a used/second hand phone? on 10:42 - Nov 1 by Bent_double

I bought one from ebay just over a year ago, no problems with it, still working fine, but I only really use it for calls and texts, not apps.

I recently bought a tablet (ipad) from the local Cex shop as I was worried about buying from ebay, glad I did because there was an issue with it being an older ios, so it was easy to take back and swap with a Samsung android tablet.

Did the people at the Cex shop give it to you in a brown paper bag?

footers KC - Prosecution Barrister - Friend to all
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Anybody ever bought a used/second hand phone? on 12:09 - Nov 1 with 1578 viewsBent_double

Anybody ever bought a used/second hand phone? on 12:03 - Nov 1 by footers

Did the people at the Cex shop give it to you in a brown paper bag?

phnarr, phnarr, very good!

Poll: So what do we think will happen with MM and the Aston Villa job?

Anybody ever bought a used/second hand phone? on 12:27 - Nov 1 with 1544 viewsNthQldITFC

Anybody ever bought a used/second hand phone? on 12:09 - Nov 1 by Bent_double

phnarr, phnarr, very good!

You sound like Finbar Saunders.

Is that your handle? (oo-er!)

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

Anybody ever bought a used/second hand phone? on 12:32 - Nov 1 with 1540 viewsNthQldITFC

Anybody ever bought a used/second hand phone? on 12:27 - Nov 1 by NthQldITFC

You sound like Finbar Saunders.

Is that your handle? (oo-er!)

http://viz.co.uk/1988/03/26/finbarr-saunders-double-entendres/

Sorry, I spelt the name wrong, it's Finbarr, with two R's.

I'm always leaving my R's out - bit like that Kiwi rugby player earlier, aarf-aarf!

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024