Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
JRM's comments on Grenfell 17:36 - Nov 5 with 2863 viewschicoazul

offer a fundamental insight into Brexit and the cancerous opinions behind it. They represent the views of Brexiters that everything including being trapped in a burning building is a question of applying simple "common sense" and taking personal responsibility. This reinforces their opinions that deregulating all aspects of our lives - in effect imposing a form of Randian libertarianism on society, replacing both the EU's and our usual British paternalistic approach - is a good way to run things and will lead to a strong sturdier society.

Boyos, whenever anyone but *especially* a politician talks about "common sense" be very wary of their bad opinions that inevitably follow.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

JRM's comments on Grenfell on 19:48 - Nov 5 with 726 viewsfooters

JRM's comments on Grenfell on 19:43 - Nov 5 by J2BLUE

I never said he does. I thought my position was clear.

As i've since said, I didn't hear the comments, only seen them on BBC site.

Perhaps avail yourself of the full facts first then, innit.

His advice, even in hindsight, is dangerous. We have experts for a reason, much as some people would like to believe their common sense trumps expert opinion.

footers KC - Prosecution Barrister - Friend to all
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

JRM's comments on Grenfell on 19:55 - Nov 5 with 701 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Aside from the extraordinary arrogance and privilege of the comments, how is it going to sit the next time people deliberately act against police/fire brigade/ambulance advice on the basis that their "common sense" tells them they know better … only to be shown that the authorities did have good cause for the advice and their actions actually led to worse injuries or more deaths?

It was appalling that the advice was not in the best interest of the residents but the reasons for the advice were sound … until you factor in the cladding and the lack of the building meeting the fire regulations expected. I do not know how I would have acted in the residents' situation. I am simply glad I did not have to find out.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

JRM's comments on Grenfell on 19:59 - Nov 5 with 694 viewsOldsmoker

JRM is a c*ck.

Don't believe a word I say. I'm only kidding. Or am I?
Poll: What mode is best?

JRM's comments on Grenfell on 20:01 - Nov 5 with 686 viewsSpruceMoose

JRM's comments on Grenfell on 19:59 - Nov 5 by Oldsmoker

JRM is a c*ck.

I like that you identified the problem and articulated it concisely. I like your work. In fact, you're a serious contender for the SpruceMoose Poster of the Year Award.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

JRM's comments on Grenfell on 20:03 - Nov 5 with 677 viewsfooters

JRM's comments on Grenfell on 20:01 - Nov 5 by SpruceMoose

I like that you identified the problem and articulated it concisely. I like your work. In fact, you're a serious contender for the SpruceMoose Poster of the Year Award.

OldSmoker's diseased hawthorn story already has my POTY award in the bag. An excellent poster with much to give.

JRM's comments on Grenfell on 20:05 - Nov 5 with 672 viewsBlueForYou

JRM's comments on Grenfell on 19:40 - Nov 5 by footers

Do you believe JRM knows more about fire safety in a high-rise building than the LFB?

There was a very interesting interview last week on Radio 4 Today, with a Portuguese man who lived in the block on the 7th floor. He used to be a trained firefighter in Portugal. He said he arrive home just before the fire really took hold but instinct told him something was wrong. He smelt smoke & saw it at high level across the corridor on the 4th floor. He immediately knocked on all doors & told residents to evacuate, did the same higher up & called his friends who lived above that. All survived. He said that the advice to stay put was wrong & in Portugal the focus would be to get people out of the building immediately. Personally I dont know about you, but I'd get out of there asap, I cant believe that anyone could advise people to stay put in a fire! JRM was right in what he said, perhaps he was misinterpreted but how can anyone say that staying inside a burning building is the correct procedure? Its a bit unfair to play election politics on this issue, whether funding is at the correct level or not.
JRM's comments on Grenfell on 20:08 - Nov 5 with 656 viewsOldsmoker

JRM's comments on Grenfell on 20:03 - Nov 5 by footers

OldSmoker's diseased hawthorn story already has my POTY award in the bag. An excellent poster with much to give.

Oldsmoker is a c*ck.

Don't believe a word I say. I'm only kidding. Or am I?
Poll: What mode is best?

JRM's comments on Grenfell on 20:09 - Nov 5 with 652 viewsNthsuffolkblue

JRM's comments on Grenfell on 20:05 - Nov 5 by BlueForYou

There was a very interesting interview last week on Radio 4 Today, with a Portuguese man who lived in the block on the 7th floor. He used to be a trained firefighter in Portugal. He said he arrive home just before the fire really took hold but instinct told him something was wrong. He smelt smoke & saw it at high level across the corridor on the 4th floor. He immediately knocked on all doors & told residents to evacuate, did the same higher up & called his friends who lived above that. All survived. He said that the advice to stay put was wrong & in Portugal the focus would be to get people out of the building immediately. Personally I dont know about you, but I'd get out of there asap, I cant believe that anyone could advise people to stay put in a fire! JRM was right in what he said, perhaps he was misinterpreted but how can anyone say that staying inside a burning building is the correct procedure? Its a bit unfair to play election politics on this issue, whether funding is at the correct level or not.

I understand your take on this. However, there was a good logic behind the advice as counter-intuitive as it seems. That man saved lives by his actions.

As for the election politics, do you believe there is a difference in the way policy from the different parties plays out in situations like this? If not, I can see your point. However, there is plenty of evidence that the Conservative Party at the time cared little for the residents and that policy still does not support them.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Login to get fewer ads

JRM's comments on Grenfell on 20:11 - Nov 5 with 643 viewsfooters

JRM's comments on Grenfell on 20:05 - Nov 5 by BlueForYou

Congratulations to him, but the point remains that more people die from smoke inhalation during fires of that nature than the fire itself. Telling people to leave flats with (presumably) fire safe doors in favour of chancing it in (presumably) smoke-filled stairwells is not better advice in a high-rise.

That obvious regulations were not met and the concerns of residents went unanswered complicates the whole issue, of course.

Not sure anyone is playing election politics here, but merely stating the obvious fact that JRM is a tw@t.

Edit: I missed out an important 'not'!
[Post edited 5 Nov 2019 20:18]

JRM's comments on Grenfell on 20:15 - Nov 5 with 618 viewsfooters

JRM's comments on Grenfell on 20:08 - Nov 5 by Oldsmoker

Oldsmoker is a c*ck.

But you're *our* cock, and we love you very much.

JRM's comments on Grenfell on 09:40 - Nov 6 with 559 viewschicoazul

JRM's comments on Grenfell on 17:42 - Nov 5 by SpruceMoose

You'll be in trouble using the word 'cancerous' here Boyo. There's a few round these parts who take a great exception to that.

Agree with your sentiment here though. In the words of Stuart Chase, common sense is what tells us the world is flat.

Nobody's mentioned it so far.

Always beware the person bearing "common sense" solutions. What they actually mean is "I'm right".

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024