Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Far too little forward drive from midfield 19:02 - Dec 21 with 1124 viewscbower

This has long been our problem. Skuse is an out and out holding midfielder. Nolan claims he is box to box but I see far too little of that from him. His first instinct seems to get the ball, pirrouette, lay it off (normally square or back) and then make himself available again. All very neat and tidy but lung busting runs to get into the box are few and far between. Downes is a fine prospect with all the ingredients but right now he seems reluctant to drive forward. Edwards is pony, Judge I fear his legs have gone. He no longer beats a man and prefers to check back inside. Huws could and should be a force but his performances have been patchy at best and the necessary run of games are not happening. Dozzer can look sublime or anonymous and is not driving us forward when he plays. You know what, I'd like to see young Dobra closer to the starting 11. He has the drive, the turn of pace, the direct running that scares defenders. I know he is a kid but that hunger could be nurtured. Of course, there is Teddy Bishop but we cannot really go there with any confidence. If only we could!

[Post edited 21 Dec 2019 19:02]

bluescouser

Far too little forward drive from midfield on 19:09 - Dec 21 with 1081 viewsdavblue

We need some clever players around the box, other teams look streets ahead of us in that area, crosses are put in with quality, and there's inventiveness around the area. We don't have anyone that can beat a man and open up some space and we are far too slow around box with and without the ball.

The Intent is there to be on the front foot but it keeps breaking down as we aren't good enough.

We need 3 or 4 players in Jan, 2 wingers a striker and a 10. I suspect we will end up with no one.
Far too little forward drive from midfield on 19:11 - Dec 21 with 1072 viewsRozz

I thought the same today - very little penetration as we don't have a single player that can take on and beat a man. Not helped by a busy midfield today, where Pompey benefited hugely from an extra man for the best part of an hour before we changed things up.

Missing the pace and positivity of KVY sorely. Funnily I thought Georgiou looked very useful in this respect on his debut, but he's hardly played since.
Far too little forward drive from midfield on 19:14 - Dec 21 with 1055 viewsbadadski

Far too little forward drive from midfield on 19:11 - Dec 21 by Rozz

I thought the same today - very little penetration as we don't have a single player that can take on and beat a man. Not helped by a busy midfield today, where Pompey benefited hugely from an extra man for the best part of an hour before we changed things up.

Missing the pace and positivity of KVY sorely. Funnily I thought Georgiou looked very useful in this respect on his debut, but he's hardly played since.

Can’t wait for bishop to come back for his 11 games of the season.
Far too little forward drive from midfield on 19:15 - Dec 21 with 1053 viewscbower

Far too little forward drive from midfield on 19:11 - Dec 21 by Rozz

Can't see Georgiou staying. At his age no game time in Div 3 is just a waste.

bluescouser

Far too little forward drive from midfield on 19:18 - Dec 21 with 1031 viewscbower

Far too little forward drive from midfield on 19:09 - Dec 21 by davblue

We need some clever players around the box, other teams look streets ahead of us in that area, crosses are put in with quality, and there's inventiveness around the area. We don't have anyone that can beat a man and open up some space and we are far too slow around box with and without the ball.

The Intent is there to be on the front foot but it keeps breaking down as we aren't good enough.

We need 3 or 4 players in Jan, 2 wingers a striker and a 10. I suspect we will end up with no one.

Dozzer could be that clever player but when he plays, he is rarely getting close enough to the penalty box to have that sought of impact. His work is all 40 yards out or on the half way line. The odd ball around the corner, yes, real forward drive, no.

bluescouser

Far too little forward drive from midfield on 19:22 - Dec 21 with 1020 viewsKeaneish

It’s simple. You give and you go - you create problems for your opposing player. You don’t give; touch; touch; stay; touch; touch - go square and then go.

Mark Robins called us out for this the other week effectively saying “you can have as much possession as you like but it’s what you do with it that counts”. Big week for PL this week. European cup winner being called out by opposing managers who are right; three defeats on the spin and dropped out of the top two.

Think I’m done on here tonight. My train journey is nearly over, I’m nearly dry and almost sober.

Poll: Who would be your managerial preference between these two?
Blog: [Blog] £2.65 Million and Waiting?

Far too little forward drive from midfield on 19:25 - Dec 21 with 1006 viewscbower

Far too little forward drive from midfield on 19:22 - Dec 21 by Keaneish

It’s simple. You give and you go - you create problems for your opposing player. You don’t give; touch; touch; stay; touch; touch - go square and then go.

Mark Robins called us out for this the other week effectively saying “you can have as much possession as you like but it’s what you do with it that counts”. Big week for PL this week. European cup winner being called out by opposing managers who are right; three defeats on the spin and dropped out of the top two.

Think I’m done on here tonight. My train journey is nearly over, I’m nearly dry and almost sober.

Couldn't agree more with "touch, touch........." . Spot on.

bluescouser

Far too little forward drive from midfield on 19:30 - Dec 21 with 970 viewsChrisd

I see our possession was 58% today because in the main we pass it around in areas that simply don't hurt sides, so they let us have it in our own half. Mark Robins is spot on and other sides will quickly catch on too. The problem as you rightly say Keaneish, is we are slow in possession moving up the pitch, which was the same problem we had last season, and our players want too many touches.

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

Login to get fewer ads

Far too little forward drive from midfield on 19:55 - Dec 21 with 900 viewsGuthrum

Or, at the very least, run forwards with the ball. We don't do enough of that, either.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Far too little forward drive from midfield on 20:55 - Dec 21 with 759 viewshomer_123

Far too little forward drive from midfield on 19:55 - Dec 21 by Guthrum

Or, at the very least, run forwards with the ball. We don't do enough of that, either.

And we haven't done that for years....and I mean years.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Far too little forward drive from midfield on 22:19 - Dec 21 with 634 viewsBassett_Blue

Far too little forward drive from midfield on 19:25 - Dec 21 by cbower

Couldn't agree more with "touch, touch........." . Spot on.

Yeah that just about sums it up, all tippy tappy, hold on to it for too long. There isn't any intensity to our play, I thought this even when we were winning and top of the league. We get to the the final third so slowly which means teams can get players behind the ball and we have no clue how to break them down.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024