Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Robson's win percentage when he came in. 09:37 - Jan 6 with 3375 viewsCheltenham_Blue

In each of Sir Bobby's full seasons after being made Ipswich manager -

1969/70 - 24%
1970/71 - 28%
1971/72 - 27%
1972/73 - 41%
1973/74 - 47%

Now I'm not saying Lambert is doing things right, nor am I saying he's the next Bobby Robson, far from it. But what I am saying is that under our current fan base, Robson would have gone sometime around Christmas 1970, and maybe we wouldn't be talking about our 'proud history' now.

Maybe we give Lambert a bit of time to get it right? Me included.

Poll: Smooth Mash or Mash with Lumps?

Robson's win percentage when he came in. on 14:17 - Jan 7 with 467 viewsBrixtonBlue

Robson's win percentage when he came in. on 17:51 - Jan 6 by Terry_Nutkins

It's so tiring. You make an entirely sensible post with and underlying message of how sometimes good managers need time (so many examples of this by the way with perhaps Alex Ferguson being the best).

This is really nicely balanced but what happens? People aren't prepared to listen to the bigger message here and start talking about specific differences that fit their view.

Of course you can't compare the LambertRobson scenario like for like (or pretty much any other appointments). Always differences but the core message is the same. A little bit of patience in football would make such a difference. Otherwise we are always looking for the quick fix, plaster it up solution.

This, a million times. Those who patronise what Lambert has done so far by calling him PR Paul are missing the bigger picture, because they're impatient. Anything good takes time. He's not had a full season yet FFS.

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

Robson's win percentage when he came in. on 16:26 - Jan 7 with 439 viewspatrickswell

Robson's win percentage when he came in. on 22:05 - Jan 6 by PJH

That was the only time I recall it as well and as I remember it it was not a huge number involved even then.
The Men Who Made The Town says "a small section of the crowd".

For further context around that time, the Man Utd defeat was Town’s eighth match of the season and only the second in which they scored any goals. They had one win and four goalless draws from the first seven League matches.

Interestingly, Town lost their next match, at home to Leicester, by two goals to one but were then unbeaten at home until New Year’s Day 1972.
Robson's win percentage when he came in. on 16:47 - Jan 7 with 431 viewsPJH

Robson's win percentage when he came in. on 16:26 - Jan 7 by patrickswell

For further context around that time, the Man Utd defeat was Town’s eighth match of the season and only the second in which they scored any goals. They had one win and four goalless draws from the first seven League matches.

Interestingly, Town lost their next match, at home to Leicester, by two goals to one but were then unbeaten at home until New Year’s Day 1972.

Yes, we did make a pretty poor start to the season didn't we?

Only ended up with 38 League goals in 42 games and the previous two seasons were 42 and 40 goals so goal scoring was a bit of a problem.It got better from 72/73 onwards though.
Robson's win percentage when he came in. on 17:22 - Jan 7 with 412 viewshappybeingblue

Bobby was only 36 and a rookie manager when he came to us,and going by the % of stats saturday v exeter we should have won,that was stuart taylors take on it anyway, i just get the feeling that the 5 year contract is more about lambert feathering his own nest so to speak.its very odd to reward someone with that type of deal based on a good sales pitch,lets face it our fans have always been there so getting them to return was going to happen at some point
Robson's win percentage when he came in. on 18:54 - Jan 7 with 371 viewsPecker

Robson's win percentage when he came in. on 09:42 - Jan 6 by thebooks

We were a top-tier team at the time: the opposition was relatively a lot better. Now... we're not.

This. Only SAR can be mentioned in the same breath as SBR.
Robson's win percentage when he came in. on 09:29 - Jan 9 with 304 viewsElephantintheRoom

Robson's win percentage when he came in. on 22:05 - Jan 6 by PJH

That was the only time I recall it as well and as I remember it it was not a huge number involved even then.
The Men Who Made The Town says "a small section of the crowd".

Can you not remember the 'Robson, Robson..you must Go!' song that rang out nice and loud from the North Stand in games in broad daylight? That wasn't a night game against Man U.

Granted it wasn't sung by many - and not often... just a noisey few.... just like the noisy few on here don't really represent the 22,000 that recently turned up for a Boxing Day stinker.

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

Robson's win percentage when he came in. on 09:35 - Jan 9 with 295 viewsPJH

Robson's win percentage when he came in. on 09:29 - Jan 9 by ElephantintheRoom

Can you not remember the 'Robson, Robson..you must Go!' song that rang out nice and loud from the North Stand in games in broad daylight? That wasn't a night game against Man U.

Granted it wasn't sung by many - and not often... just a noisey few.... just like the noisy few on here don't really represent the 22,000 that recently turned up for a Boxing Day stinker.

No I only remember it that one occasion.

I would have been in the North Stand in those days but I don't remember it other than that League Cup game.

Obviously I am not saying that it did not happen, just that I don't remember it.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024