Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Town's best manager since SBR 11:16 - Feb 3 with 10227 viewsThe_Last_Baron

Here's my list:

George Burley
John Lyall
Joe Royle
Mick McCarthy
Jim Magilton
Bobby Ferguson
John Duncan
Roy Keane
Paul Jewell
Mick McGivern
Paul Lambert
Paul Hurst
[Post edited 3 Feb 2020 11:33]

Poll: Would you support a permanent return to the old yellow Town badge?

Not to the 3rd Division. (n/t) on 13:54 - Feb 4 with 501 viewsKeaneish

Not to the 3rd Division. (n/t) on 20:15 - Feb 3 by JammyDodgerrr

Relegation is a relegation.

It’s funny how Burley inherited a dire squad, gets relegated and it gets brushed under the carpet whereas Lambert inherits a fractured squad, gets relegated and is now one of the worst managers in our history compared to Burley who is one of the best. Burley had time to rectify things whereas as PL is in the midst of it. The power of hindsight applied to a lack of context makes for a very skewed debate.

Each manager has had difficult tenures at times for different reasons. Is the question, “who is the best manager based on performances, accolades, rapport, managing in difficult circumstances...?”

PL obviously getting pelters after a disastrous week.

Poll: Who would be your managerial preference between these two?
Blog: [Blog] £2.65 Million and Waiting?

I'm sure some people actually forget.... on 14:02 - Feb 4 with 484 viewsThe_Last_Baron

I'm sure some people actually forget.... on 13:12 - Feb 4 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

I like the way you’ve completely glossed over the whole finishing 5th in the Premier League part of Burley’s reign there

Burley was a fantastic manager for Town, going to games from 96-01 felt like an event.

Poll: Would you support a permanent return to the old yellow Town badge?

Not to the 3rd Division. (n/t) on 14:35 - Feb 4 with 465 viewsRadlett_blue

Not to the 3rd Division. (n/t) on 13:54 - Feb 4 by Keaneish

It’s funny how Burley inherited a dire squad, gets relegated and it gets brushed under the carpet whereas Lambert inherits a fractured squad, gets relegated and is now one of the worst managers in our history compared to Burley who is one of the best. Burley had time to rectify things whereas as PL is in the midst of it. The power of hindsight applied to a lack of context makes for a very skewed debate.

Each manager has had difficult tenures at times for different reasons. Is the question, “who is the best manager based on performances, accolades, rapport, managing in difficult circumstances...?”

PL obviously getting pelters after a disastrous week.

The big difference is that we are now in the 3rd tier, for the first time in my lifetime and that of many town supporters. Naturally, we feel we don't belong here & so any doubt that promotion might be achieved is seen as a major setback.
Yes, Lambert inherited a poor squad, but most of the players in this league aren't much better. He hasn't show great aptitude into moulding ours into an effective team.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Not to the 3rd Division. (n/t) on 15:52 - Feb 4 with 441 viewsKeaneish

Not to the 3rd Division. (n/t) on 14:35 - Feb 4 by Radlett_blue

The big difference is that we are now in the 3rd tier, for the first time in my lifetime and that of many town supporters. Naturally, we feel we don't belong here & so any doubt that promotion might be achieved is seen as a major setback.
Yes, Lambert inherited a poor squad, but most of the players in this league aren't much better. He hasn't show great aptitude into moulding ours into an effective team.

I don’t disagree with any of that but I’ll judge PL at the end of the season regardless of bad week’s or poor runs. That’s the worst home defeat I think I’ve ever witnessed at PR but this thread misses context for what defines a good or bad manager.

Burley is easily my favourite manager but he’s guilty of catastrophic failings as are they all.
Keane and McCarthy are guilty of being divisive and having a poor rapport with fans.
Hurst and Jewell guilty of being hapless at times and tactically naive.
Duncan and McCarthy for killing football.
McGiven...

If PL gets us promoted he keeps his job. If not, he should go. Even if he gets us promoted, he gets ten games next season to prove to us he can make us competitive again. Is he the worst manager? Sitting fourth in the league (irrespective of which league we’re in) I’d have to say no but all that good will is gone and he’s on thin ice. I think we’re all pretty done with being embarrassed by vastly inferior football clubs but at the start of the season, given the uncertainty, we’d all have taken being in contention at this stage.
[Post edited 4 Feb 2020 15:53]

Poll: Who would be your managerial preference between these two?
Blog: [Blog] £2.65 Million and Waiting?

Not to the 3rd Division. (n/t) on 16:24 - Feb 4 with 412 viewsRadlett_blue

Not to the 3rd Division. (n/t) on 15:52 - Feb 4 by Keaneish

I don’t disagree with any of that but I’ll judge PL at the end of the season regardless of bad week’s or poor runs. That’s the worst home defeat I think I’ve ever witnessed at PR but this thread misses context for what defines a good or bad manager.

Burley is easily my favourite manager but he’s guilty of catastrophic failings as are they all.
Keane and McCarthy are guilty of being divisive and having a poor rapport with fans.
Hurst and Jewell guilty of being hapless at times and tactically naive.
Duncan and McCarthy for killing football.
McGiven...

If PL gets us promoted he keeps his job. If not, he should go. Even if he gets us promoted, he gets ten games next season to prove to us he can make us competitive again. Is he the worst manager? Sitting fourth in the league (irrespective of which league we’re in) I’d have to say no but all that good will is gone and he’s on thin ice. I think we’re all pretty done with being embarrassed by vastly inferior football clubs but at the start of the season, given the uncertainty, we’d all have taken being in contention at this stage.
[Post edited 4 Feb 2020 15:53]

Ultimately, fans want their team to win a few games, especially at home. The "disgruntled fan" has certainly become much more of an issue since the TV generation started coming to football & this applies to most professional clubs. Yes, we expected Lambert to get us promoted this season. Some Cassandras thought we would be mid table at best , but I don't think they realised the absolute dearth of quality in this league. If we don't go up - and it's looking less likely after 2 dismal performances - the knives will be out. However, another "all change" in the summer doesn't inspire me much either.
Sheffield United spent 6 years in this league & they had 5 managers in the first 5 of those years!

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024