Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Funny books 16:26 - Feb 25 with 4526 viewsBrixtonBlue

I was just thinking to myself that the funniest book I've ever read is Yes Man by Danny Wallace... then I realised I haven't actually read that many funny books. Anyone got any recommendations?

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

Funny books on 23:48 - Feb 25 with 775 viewsWeWereZombies

Any Viz Annual, this is the latest:

https://www.goodreads.com/en/book/show/41300329-viz-annual-2019-the-pieman-s-wig

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

Funny books on 04:09 - Feb 26 with 733 viewsIPS_wich

Danny Wallace started out as a side kick to Dave Gorman and pretty much copied his idea of taking quirky bets to the extreme...except Gorman is much funnier and a better writer. Most of these were both books and TV series.

I would recommend the following four from Gorman:
- Are you Dave Gorman? (a good read, but the accompanying TV show was funnier)
- Googlewhack Adventure (probably the best book)
- Versus the rest of the World (interesting more than funny)
- America Unchained (my favourite of his concepts - can you drive from one side of the US to the other without patronising a single chain store/hotel/restaurant/petrol station - turned into an award winning documentary film)

Also endorse the John O'Farrell suggestion earlier in the thread
Funny books on 06:08 - Feb 26 with 717 viewsBrixtonBlue

Funny books on 04:09 - Feb 26 by IPS_wich

Danny Wallace started out as a side kick to Dave Gorman and pretty much copied his idea of taking quirky bets to the extreme...except Gorman is much funnier and a better writer. Most of these were both books and TV series.

I would recommend the following four from Gorman:
- Are you Dave Gorman? (a good read, but the accompanying TV show was funnier)
- Googlewhack Adventure (probably the best book)
- Versus the rest of the World (interesting more than funny)
- America Unchained (my favourite of his concepts - can you drive from one side of the US to the other without patronising a single chain store/hotel/restaurant/petrol station - turned into an award winning documentary film)

Also endorse the John O'Farrell suggestion earlier in the thread

You're incorrect. Wallace and Gorman were flatmates and their first book "Are You Dave Gorman?" (which they co-wrote together) was the result of a bet set by Wallace to find 54 Dave Gormans.

I like both.

Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

Funny books on 06:13 - Feb 26 with 713 viewsIPS_wich

Funny books on 06:08 - Feb 26 by BrixtonBlue

You're incorrect. Wallace and Gorman were flatmates and their first book "Are You Dave Gorman?" (which they co-wrote together) was the result of a bet set by Wallace to find 54 Dave Gormans.

I like both.

Yet on the TV series he was very much relegated to the side kick role as Dave's flat mate.

I don't dispute he was probably involved a lot more than this and you are right he has co-author credit for the book - but for me DG is far funnier/wittier than DW both on screen and as an author.

I didn't mind 'Yes Man' but thought it far less amusing than the other DG efforts.

But not looking to start an argument - just stating my opinion on the two.
Funny books on 06:17 - Feb 26 with 711 viewsBrixtonBlue

Funny books on 06:13 - Feb 26 by IPS_wich

Yet on the TV series he was very much relegated to the side kick role as Dave's flat mate.

I don't dispute he was probably involved a lot more than this and you are right he has co-author credit for the book - but for me DG is far funnier/wittier than DW both on screen and as an author.

I didn't mind 'Yes Man' but thought it far less amusing than the other DG efforts.

But not looking to start an argument - just stating my opinion on the two.

I've got no problem with your opinion on how funny they are or how good they are as writers.

It was more your assertion that "Danny Wallace... pretty much copied his idea of taking quirky bets to the extreme," which isn't true.

Funny books on 13:15 - Feb 26 with 662 viewsJonBlue

Probably horribly out of fashion these days but Tom Sharpe books used to make me laugh out loud in my youth...
Funny books on 17:05 - Feb 26 with 633 viewsMJallday

David Thorne

You’ll find his stuff here

Www.27bslash6.com

Stilton eating Participant - 1977 to Present Day
Poll: Will you be renewing if you are an existing ST Holder - given todays news?

Funny books on 17:09 - Feb 26 with 630 viewsStokieBlue

Hitchhikers Guide To The Galaxy.

Marvelous stuff.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Login to get fewer ads

Funny books on 17:27 - Feb 26 with 610 viewsPhilTWTD

Funny books on 19:27 - Feb 25 by jontysnut

Lucky Jim Kingsley Amis

I'll add Martin Amis's Money and London Fields.
Funny books on 17:29 - Feb 26 with 606 viewsKBsSocks

"An Insular Possession" by Timothy Mo.
A pretty serious novel set in times of the Opium Wars, but parts had me oh-so-jolly-amused; genuine LOLs.

Poll: Are Phil and Gav doing a great job re-TWTD ?
Blog: Comparison Time Again

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024