Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Where does the fault lie for our current downturn? 12:09 - Feb 27 with 11314 viewsKernewekBlue

I'm interested to know who you think is at fault for our current predicament. Does the blame for our woes rest with Paul Lambert or does it sit at the feet of Marcus Evans?

KernewekBlue
Poll: Is Marcus Evans good for our club?

Where does the fault lie for our current downturn? on 17:50 - Mar 3 with 837 viewsRegencyBlue

Where does the fault lie for our current downturn? on 16:41 - Feb 28 by KernewekBlue

A good point well made.

Perhaps most of our woes all stem from that moment onward.

Having got us out of administration, It was Sheepshank's decision to sell the club to Marcus Evans that has seen us die a slow death and sink down the league tables to where we find ourselves now.

I have always said that Sheepshanks must carry much of the blame for our demise before he sold us to Evans - it shows what happens when you begin to believe your own publicity, that you can do no wrong!

Having said that, after over twelve years of ownership there really is no one else to blame for the shambles we are today than Evans. He has fooked up at every turn and I cannot think of one decision he has got right in his time here.

People keep saying what would we do without him but its where we end up with him that worries me. I genuinely think we are approaching the tipping point of his ownership where the damage done will be irreversible!
Where does the fault lie for our current downturn? on 18:02 - Mar 3 with 824 viewsRadlett_blue

Where does the fault lie for our current downturn? on 13:50 - Mar 2 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

The cold hard proof will come when League One clubs accounts for this year are released

In the meantime, there are a couple of useful reference points that can be used. Sunderland’s Chief Exec for example referenced their £15m wage bill last season, down to £10m this time around as being the highest in League One history:

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.sunderlandecho.com/sport/football/sunderland-

Meanwhile, our accounts confirm a wage bill of £18.95m last season, which whilst no doubt now reduced, shows that our bill is likely to be significant

Coventry by comparison are having their accounts analysed by Kieran Maguire today, and had a wage bill of £4.8m

I'd noticed that Nottingham Forest are doing better in the league, but with the eye watering losses they are making, the need to get promoted or hope their owner has very deep pockets. 143% of income is going in wages. They've been doing this for over 5 years with little success so it's fair to say that FFP is a complete waste of time. No wonder Evans gave up trying to compete.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Where does the fault lie for our current downturn? on 18:14 - Mar 3 with 821 viewsSwansea_Blue

Where does the fault lie for our current downturn? on 18:02 - Mar 3 by Radlett_blue

I'd noticed that Nottingham Forest are doing better in the league, but with the eye watering losses they are making, the need to get promoted or hope their owner has very deep pockets. 143% of income is going in wages. They've been doing this for over 5 years with little success so it's fair to say that FFP is a complete waste of time. No wonder Evans gave up trying to compete.

I can’t see why anyone would want to own a football club. You’d need to have huge, justifiable confidence in your ability to improve a club or be a bit tŵp as we say down here.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Where does the fault lie for our current downturn? on 18:28 - Mar 3 with 817 viewsjeera

Where does the fault lie for our current downturn? on 18:14 - Mar 3 by Swansea_Blue

I can’t see why anyone would want to own a football club. You’d need to have huge, justifiable confidence in your ability to improve a club or be a bit tŵp as we say down here.

It's obvious why.

If you can find one to lose you a fortune you'll make those losses and even more back on tax.

In fact, the more money you lose, the more you make.

It's like magic.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Where does the fault lie for our current downturn? on 16:27 - Mar 4 with 770 viewsKernewekBlue

Where does the fault lie for our current downturn? on 13:27 - Mar 2 by jeera

Instead of being a knob about it why not take on board the hundreds, yes hundreds of posts that have been made on the subject over the past few years.

Let me give you a clue right here:

"I can only assume you never read this forum, ever."

Losing money on a business doesn't gain you money somewhere else. You can offset all you like but that doesn't offer any gains.

It's not difficult.

Whether or not this subject has been covered previously once or a million times matters little. This is the here and now.

Firstly, let's get this straight... I never said Evans MAKES money from a tax loss. He can, however, offset some of the tax he would have to pay on his profitable businesses.

Secondly, I DO read the posts in the forum.

Lastly, I didn't resort to name-calling, as you have, to try and prove a point. I think you need to take a chill pill, sit down, relax and try to understand what is being written, instead of going off the deep end about something that was never said.

KernewekBlue

Where does the fault lie for our current downturn? on 16:47 - Mar 4 with 754 viewsKernewekBlue

Where does the fault lie for our current downturn? on 13:29 - Mar 2 by jeera

The subject has been covered a zillion times.

You're late to the party and trying to throw your weight around and getting snotty because no one's listening to your half-baked ideas.

Late to the party? Throwing my weight around? Getting snotty? Half-baked ideas?

I'm not late to any party, I'm not throwing any weight, I'm not getting snotty and I don't have any ideas that are half-baked.

Neither have I been rude to you or labelled you with childish names!

I have pulled you up on the fact that you have chosen to misunderstand my comments or have been unable to decipher plain English... but I haven't belittled your lack of understanding by resorting to name-calling.

Next?

KernewekBlue

Where does the fault lie for our current downturn? on 10:16 - Mar 5 with 716 viewsKernewekBlue

Where does the fault lie for our current downturn? on 13:50 - Mar 2 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

The cold hard proof will come when League One clubs accounts for this year are released

In the meantime, there are a couple of useful reference points that can be used. Sunderland’s Chief Exec for example referenced their £15m wage bill last season, down to £10m this time around as being the highest in League One history:

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.sunderlandecho.com/sport/football/sunderland-

Meanwhile, our accounts confirm a wage bill of £18.95m last season, which whilst no doubt now reduced, shows that our bill is likely to be significant

Coventry by comparison are having their accounts analysed by Kieran Maguire today, and had a wage bill of £4.8m

We had players on Championship level fees... hence that size of wage bill. That has since been reduced and will be reduced even further when contracts are up this summer.

Coventry's wage bill was already significantly lower, plying their trade in League 1.

If Evans was still handing out contracts to players recruited this season on Championship level money, then he's dumber than I thought he was.

Although proven by every decision he's made since he got here and his apparent lack of any real football knowledge, even he can't be THAT stupid!

What will be really interesting is to see just how much he trims next season's gross wage bill by and who he sells for peanuts/lets go on a free to achieve that.

KernewekBlue

Where does the fault lie for our current downturn? on 10:50 - Mar 5 with 705 viewsbluelagos

Why do we always look for a simple binary answer? Surely they can both be poor?

Though I suppose Evans appointed Lambert so the buck stops with him.

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024