Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Interesting comments from an ex player 12:44 - Mar 5 with 5964 viewsBlueyandCrazy

Steve McCall posted on FB;

Despite the wage reduction under both Hurst and now Lambert we have a squad of players who should perform and get results in order to win promotion this season. The Championship is another matter.
We have invested heavily in strikers through either wages or transfer fees so Lambert can’t complain. Every team in league one would love to have Sears, Jackson and Norwood.
The fact that we are struggling is clearly down to the manager whose job it is to organise, give them a shape and pattern of play to bring out the best in them all. Mostly though, as we saw against Fleetwood, it is about motivation and Lambert clearly can’t motivate this squad of players to give us any chance of promotion and a fading hope of even the play offs.

Poll: Worst ever ITFC manager

Interesting comments from an ex player on 16:07 - Mar 5 with 757 viewsPJH

Interesting comments from an ex player on 13:21 - Mar 5 by sotd78

This is dis-ingenous at best and plain factually wrong at worst.
We have never had those three strikers available at the same time; we currently don 't have Norwood and arguably haven't since his first injury.

If we want to make a case to get shot of Lambert it isn't based not using his strikers properly.

Apart from at Wimbledon when Norwood and Jackson started and Sears was on bench or at home to Burton when Jackson started and Norwood and Sears on bench.

But apart from those two occasions it looks like your "factually wrong" statement might be factually right.
Interesting comments from an ex player on 17:52 - Mar 5 with 707 viewsmanchego

Interesting comments from an ex player on 13:18 - Mar 5 by itfcjoe

Important to note that McCall isn't just an ex-player, he was our Chief Scout for a decade or so, so is clearly switched on

Who played just behind Muhren and Thijssen for a while.
Interesting comments from an ex player on 17:52 - Mar 5 with 708 viewsArnieM

As Mills said post match Fleetwood, Lambert has failed to MANAGE the team.

I would say PL has managed the squad , but totally wrong .
Examples
1) Rotation - monumental f cuk up .
2) Game postponements - monumental f cuk up.
3) Playing Norris - monumental f cuk up.
4) inability to gauge WHEN to substitute- monumental f cuk up.
5) failure to reduce large squad size inherited from Hurst. This would prevent further players coming in in Jan window as wage threshold for season no doubt maxed out - monumental f cuk up.

All avoidable decisions by Lambert , which therefore indicates his poor “ Managerial” expertise.

Poll: Would this current Town team beat the current narwich team

Interesting comments from an ex player on 18:05 - Mar 5 with 696 viewsjaykay

he is right of course. i can see a pattern here thou 1. a few on here with deffo info is followed by others who want to be seen as in the know ,with more deffo info. 2. everyone at the club gets the blame from evans to bluey. 3. ex players coming out criticising the club.
all this happened with hurst,so maybe the axe is about to drop on lambert

forensic experts say footers and spruces fingerprints were not found at the scene after the weekends rows

Interesting comments from an ex player on 18:26 - Mar 5 with 677 viewsEireannach_gorm

Interesting comments from an ex player on 13:05 - Mar 5 by itfcjoe

He obviously was a good manager as well and think the Culverhouse stuff is overstated, I just don't think he is a good man manager any more.

Like you say the stories you hear from Norwich are very different to what I hear about him now - he's lost his mojo

You don't need to be a tactician to put on decent performances in this league with this squad, the players don't seem motivated or at it too often

I agree with you on most things but I don't believe that Paul was ever a good tactical manager. The trouble with just being a man manager is that if your men lose faith in you, you are screwed. I also disagree that tactics are not important in ' this league '. Correct tactics are very important at any level and in any sport. Mick proved that, with a very average group of players can go far with a good plan that everyone buys into.
Interesting comments from an ex player on 18:28 - Mar 5 with 673 viewsRadlett_blue

Interesting comments from an ex player on 18:26 - Mar 5 by Eireannach_gorm

I agree with you on most things but I don't believe that Paul was ever a good tactical manager. The trouble with just being a man manager is that if your men lose faith in you, you are screwed. I also disagree that tactics are not important in ' this league '. Correct tactics are very important at any level and in any sport. Mick proved that, with a very average group of players can go far with a good plan that everyone buys into.

We've faced plenty of limited but well organised sides who look like a team and play to their strengths. Lambert seems to do none of these things.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Interesting comments from an ex player on 18:34 - Mar 5 with 663 viewsitfcjoe

Interesting comments from an ex player on 18:26 - Mar 5 by Eireannach_gorm

I didn’t say he was a good tactical manager, just that he was clearly more than just a motivator to have the sustained success he did have

And I didn’t mean tactics are unimportant, more that when you have a squad which is much better than most you come up against - very simple 442 or similar would have done enough to get into the top 6. Working in partnerships and patterns throughout the season - we didn’t need to try and reinvent the wheel

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Interesting comments from an ex player on 18:54 - Mar 5 with 638 viewsPlums

Interesting comments from an ex player on 12:58 - Mar 5 by itfcjoe

He's absolutely right

Lambert is all about motivation and not tactics and he has lost the ability to motivate

I suspect any positive motivation he has done is immediately nullified when the team is announced. At least that’s what Tuesday looked like to me - not that he’s lost the dressing room, they just don’t believe they can win

It's 106 miles to Portman Road, we've got a full tank of gas, half a round of Port Salut, it's dark... and we're wearing blue tinted sunglasses.
Poll: Which recent triallist should we have signed?

Login to get fewer ads

Interesting comments from an ex player on 19:18 - Mar 5 with 614 viewsMeadowlark

Interesting comments from an ex player on 17:52 - Mar 5 by ArnieM

As Mills said post match Fleetwood, Lambert has failed to MANAGE the team.

I would say PL has managed the squad , but totally wrong .
Examples
1) Rotation - monumental f cuk up .
2) Game postponements - monumental f cuk up.
3) Playing Norris - monumental f cuk up.
4) inability to gauge WHEN to substitute- monumental f cuk up.
5) failure to reduce large squad size inherited from Hurst. This would prevent further players coming in in Jan window as wage threshold for season no doubt maxed out - monumental f cuk up.

All avoidable decisions by Lambert , which therefore indicates his poor “ Managerial” expertise.

I would add: continuing to pick players irrespective of bad form (Judge, Chambers, Norris), and not picking player(s) who should be nailed on every week (Dozzell).
Interesting comments from an ex player on 19:19 - Mar 5 with 613 viewsPJH

Interesting comments from an ex player on 18:54 - Mar 5 by Plums

I suspect any positive motivation he has done is immediately nullified when the team is announced. At least that’s what Tuesday looked like to me - not that he’s lost the dressing room, they just don’t believe they can win

But on Tuesday I did not believe that that starting line up could win whereas at Blackpool,although they did not win, I thought the team picked was one that could win that game and others.

I know that PL had lost three of his starting midfield from the Blackpool game for Tuesday but I think he should have started Bishop and Sears.

It might have been a struggle for both of them to start two games on the bounce in a shortish time but them being in the starting line up would have given me more hope of beating Fleetwood.

***even writing "hope of beating Fleetwood" hurts***
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024