Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Didn't cook a single thing all day. 21:53 - Mar 18 with 2012 viewsMelford

I'll have been a Chef for 20 years next month and today's the first day I've ever worked when that's happened.

Dragging TWTD into the gutter since 2009
Poll: What do you call this site?

Didn't cook a single thing all day. on 21:59 - Mar 18 with 1950 viewsfooters

Rough times.

What's going to happen to the perishables you've currently got or will have? Did the owners suggest anything? It's just throwing money down the drain otherwise.

footers KC - Prosecution Barrister - Friend to all
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Didn't cook a single thing all day. on 21:59 - Mar 18 with 1946 viewsLord_Lucan

You should get Gordon Ramsay in.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Didn't cook a single thing all day. on 22:08 - Mar 18 with 1879 viewsmonytowbray

What did you do to pass the time?

TWTD never forgets…
Poll: How close will a TWTD election poll be next to June results?

Didn't cook a single thing all day. on 22:14 - Mar 18 with 1858 viewsWD19

Temping at a Sushi place?
Didn't cook a single thing all day. on 22:16 - Mar 18 with 1852 viewscatch74

Oh man - that’s not good. We had 2 people in at lunch - then tonight we’ve done about 30 take away meals, think that’s the way we’re going. Close the pub except to pick up take away food/ drink.
I’ll feel
More comfortable being socially responsible and able to keep f/t staff.

Poll: Who are the Numbskulls?

Didn't cook a single thing all day. on 22:24 - Mar 18 with 1822 viewsfooters

Didn't cook a single thing all day. on 22:16 - Mar 18 by catch74

Oh man - that’s not good. We had 2 people in at lunch - then tonight we’ve done about 30 take away meals, think that’s the way we’re going. Close the pub except to pick up take away food/ drink.
I’ll feel

Hope you've got some old milk bottles in stock (or ask people to bring theirs!), nowt better than the old takeaway ales :)

footers KC - Prosecution Barrister - Friend to all
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Didn't cook a single thing all day. on 22:25 - Mar 18 with 1815 viewsmonytowbray

Didn't cook a single thing all day. on 22:16 - Mar 18 by catch74

I’ll feel

Good luck and God Speed.

TWTD never forgets…

Didn't cook a single thing all day. on 22:32 - Mar 18 with 1787 viewsBasuco

I see D & D and Chucs have closed all their restaurant's for the foreseeable future, tough times ahead for the restaurant trade.
Login to get fewer ads

Didn't cook a single thing all day. on 23:02 - Mar 18 with 1689 viewsMelford

Didn't cook a single thing all day. on 22:08 - Mar 18 by monytowbray

What did you do to pass the time?

Talksport, Radio Suffolk, Spotify and I read a book about Brian Clough's time managing Leeds United.

Didn't cook a single thing all day. on 00:01 - Mar 19 with 1603 viewsmonytowbray

Didn't cook a single thing all day. on 23:02 - Mar 18 by Melford

Talksport, Radio Suffolk, Spotify and I read a book about Brian Clough's time managing Leeds United.

Weird thing with chefs. When you’re on downtime you’re all so chilled but the moment service starts you throw pans across the room and call everyone who dares walk in the kitchen a c*nt several times over.

Although knowing you from here I imagine it’s like Dillon from Magic Roundabout 24:7.

TWTD never forgets…

Didn't cook a single thing all day. on 00:39 - Mar 19 with 1552 viewsMelford

Didn't cook a single thing all day. on 00:01 - Mar 19 by monytowbray

Weird thing with chefs. When you’re on downtime you’re all so chilled but the moment service starts you throw pans across the room and call everyone who dares walk in the kitchen a c*nt several times over.

Although knowing you from here I imagine it’s like Dillon from Magic Roundabout 24:7.

I don't shout, my weapons are being very patronising and sarcastic. I came into the trade by accident really and have no formal training, I have worked with some 'proper' chefs who do all that sub-Ramsay intimidation crap and i have had a lot of trouble with those sorts. Though if you do have a bark at someone and you do have a row for a bit, you smooth it down before you get home. I have a lot of people tell me I'm the most chilled out chef they've worked with.

Didn't cook a single thing all day. on 00:49 - Mar 19 with 1532 viewsjeera

I'm sorry things are getting worse.

I know from speaking to others today in your trade you're not alone, but that's no use to you.

Trade isn't going to pick up any time soon so please make provisions.

Council tax will be non-existent for a year. I don't know who owns your place, but maybe they can be reasoned with regarding the rent, otherwise they will be looking at an empty building with zero coming in at all.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Didn't cook a single thing all day. on 01:34 - Mar 19 with 1504 viewsmonytowbray

Didn't cook a single thing all day. on 00:39 - Mar 19 by Melford

I don't shout, my weapons are being very patronising and sarcastic. I came into the trade by accident really and have no formal training, I have worked with some 'proper' chefs who do all that sub-Ramsay intimidation crap and i have had a lot of trouble with those sorts. Though if you do have a bark at someone and you do have a row for a bit, you smooth it down before you get home. I have a lot of people tell me I'm the most chilled out chef they've worked with.

My experience as an assistant chef in a Greene King pub whilst at uni was similar to what you describe. And pretty much every pub kitchen job I did to be fair. After all was said and done on a mental day and many swear words you’d go for a fag (all chefs smoke, right?) and they’d apologise but end it with some blokey endearing remark like “You’re alright you dickhead” so they could save some face.

That’s my experience of every single chef I’ve worked with. I think the chef lives chooses you to some extent, it takes a certain character that copes under stress but takes no sh1t.

TWTD never forgets…

Didn't cook a single thing all day. on 07:08 - Mar 19 with 1300 viewspeterleeblue

Didn't cook a single thing all day. on 01:34 - Mar 19 by monytowbray

My experience as an assistant chef in a Greene King pub whilst at uni was similar to what you describe. And pretty much every pub kitchen job I did to be fair. After all was said and done on a mental day and many swear words you’d go for a fag (all chefs smoke, right?) and they’d apologise but end it with some blokey endearing remark like “You’re alright you dickhead” so they could save some face.

That’s my experience of every single chef I’ve worked with. I think the chef lives chooses you to some extent, it takes a certain character that copes under stress but takes no sh1t.

And because of the stress most of them tend to hold businesses to ransom.
They claim that their ability to griddle jockey is what is sustaining the establishments owner and then when they cant pissed off go sick with back pain, mental health or any other difficult to diagnose condition normally on a Sunday morning with 100 covers booked into the restaurant.

The best chef's are the owner operators themselves who actually have had some sort of formal training and not spent 6 months working in their local "spoons".

I am sure there are some good old honest exceptions to this but i struggle to find them.
Didn't cook a single thing all day. on 23:52 - Mar 20 with 1147 viewsMelford

Didn't cook a single thing all day. on 07:08 - Mar 19 by peterleeblue

And because of the stress most of them tend to hold businesses to ransom.
They claim that their ability to griddle jockey is what is sustaining the establishments owner and then when they cant pissed off go sick with back pain, mental health or any other difficult to diagnose condition normally on a Sunday morning with 100 covers booked into the restaurant.

The best chef's are the owner operators themselves who actually have had some sort of formal training and not spent 6 months working in their local "spoons".

I am sure there are some good old honest exceptions to this but i struggle to find them.

You must have had a bad experience with some bad chefs because any I don't know anyone who would bail out on a Sunday morning with 100 booked. I've worked on with broken ribs, toes, massive scalds and burns covered up. I literally cooked for a week with one arm when I had a dislocated shoulder. I have had 2 days off sick in the last 7 years.

Didn't cook a single thing all day. on 07:06 - Mar 21 with 1009 viewspeterleeblue

Didn't cook a single thing all day. on 23:52 - Mar 20 by Melford

You must have had a bad experience with some bad chefs because any I don't know anyone who would bail out on a Sunday morning with 100 booked. I've worked on with broken ribs, toes, massive scalds and burns covered up. I literally cooked for a week with one arm when I had a dislocated shoulder. I have had 2 days off sick in the last 7 years.

You are one of the good guys then Melford and should be applauded.
Many of my tenants would love to employ you.

Chefs tend to be a major drain on Businesses with food turnover at less than £2k per week.
Essentially at that level the food becomes a driver for drinks sales.
The kitchen basically needs to take nearly £1k to cover the cost of one chef.

Anyway like all of us in the hospitality industry I wish you well.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024