Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Not happy about teacher assessment for GCSE.... 23:01 - Mar 18 with 3736 viewsunstableblue

My lad has been working his socks off with the exams looming....

And I'm convinced he can add a mark across his mocks assessment... and current teacher view

Also, and this is crucial pupil/teacher chemistry is a massive thing for their assessment...which gets balanced out somewhat by the exams

Also how on earth can you benchmark across schools...my lad's is a professional place and I would imagine they would assess quite pragmatically, but what about major public schools or failing schools?

Also what about the experience of the final exams themselves and then that moment of envelope opening!

Not sure this is right.

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

Not happy about teacher assessment for GCSE.... on 11:08 - Mar 19 with 431 viewssoupytwist

Not happy about teacher assessment for GCSE.... on 10:57 - Mar 19 by PrideOfTheEast

I haven't read in detail the proposals but if the plan is not to sit exams it would have been a disaster for me as I never did any work until the end. My mock results for GCSE and A level would have been decidedly average but when it came to the exams I'd have been in top 5%.

Yes, in my first meeting with my university tutor he said that my A level grades were much better than my school thought I'd get. He was right and I still have no idea how I did it.

My Y13 son has been steadily getting further away from his decent predicted grades (in the wrong direction) over the course of this year so he may benefit slightly.

As someone else said, will be tough on Y12 & Y10 students who are missing a crucial whole term of learning.

My teacher wife is also livid since her current GCSE group is one of the best she's ever had and was confident of some them doing really well.
Not happy about teacher assessment for GCSE.... on 12:23 - Mar 19 with 405 viewsEly_Blue

Not happy about teacher assessment for GCSE.... on 10:03 - Mar 19 by BrixtonBlue

It's interesting that the parents in this thread who have kids with exams looming have all said their mocks weren't great but they were definitely improving for the real thing.

Therein lies the rub. Everyone's going to say that.

There's no obvious solution.We all get dealt rough hands in life at some stage, this is there's. My grades could've been better were it not for mental health issues at that time, but there was no help for that sort of thing back then. It sucks but you have to just get on with it, work hard and try to improve your lot that way.

When my son took the first set of mocks in October last year they then put together a RAG plan for each student in each subject on what they needed to focus on, with ramped up lunchtime and after school revision sessions to help improve this.

In the 2nd set of mocks on the other part of the exams my son has improved on lots of those things, what mocks will he be judged on in that case? They do the mocks in 2 sets because there are more papers in most subjects so the split it up?

Part of the reason for the mocks is to help get the kids ready for the real exams, to help them learn how to deal with the pressures of taking exams like this and also to learn where they have gaps they need to revise on and improve.

It is grossly unfair to judge kids on exams from 3, 6 or 9 months before the time they were fully prepared to be taking their exams.

Yes there will always be the A* students who have always been the top learners and will have got those grades right from the start, other kids learn differently and see their mock results and progress throughout the year to give them the kick to improve and learn from their mistakes and build on where they were

Poll: Will you still buy a Season Ticket for next year in league 1

Not happy about teacher assessment for GCSE.... on 12:32 - Mar 19 with 403 viewsElderGrizzly

Not happy about teacher assessment for GCSE.... on 09:15 - Mar 19 by Ely_Blue

I feel your pain, my son is in the same situation, he takes his GCSEs and he had some poor predicted grades and some areas for work from his mocks which he has been making good progress on.

Also he has had several changes of teacher in some subjects, how can these teachers truly assess and grade pupils on supposedly knowing them better?

I fear if it were down to predicted grades he may be worse off as some of the more recent mocks he has done better than the predicted grades, so what gets precedent?

How can this be monitored and benchmarked across the country as there are different levels and skills of teachers from the best schools to the worst, unlike a set of exams where there is a right and wrong answer and a standardised set of answers of what is right and wrong.

A prime example is my son is set on doing a particular course at 6th form, he has been offered a lower course on his predicted grades but is determined to get higher grades to do the higher course at 6th form, both us and he can see that he is on course to achieve this but if they go on offers already made he can’t get on the course he wants without resits for exams he never took in the first place.

Worrying times for us parents and anxious times for our kids.

The Exam Boards will have a huge part to play here, even with teacher assessment if that is used.

They have so much experience around standardisation from year to year that everything i would expect will go through them first.

It won’t be simply the grade awarded by Mrs Miggins...
Not happy about teacher assessment for GCSE.... on 16:38 - Mar 19 with 358 viewsGeoffSentence

Not happy about teacher assessment for GCSE.... on 23:03 - Mar 18 by StokieBlue

It's crap.

But what would you suggest? Lots and lots of text and not a single solution offered.

It's hard times, it's not only your child that's going to suffer. It rubbish for everyone:(.

SB
[Post edited 18 Mar 2020 23:13]

Sometimes suggestions aren't the point, sometimes you just need to get things off your chest.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Not happy about teacher assessment for GCSE.... on 17:02 - Mar 19 with 342 viewsEly_Blue

Not happy about teacher assessment for GCSE.... on 12:32 - Mar 19 by ElderGrizzly

The Exam Boards will have a huge part to play here, even with teacher assessment if that is used.

They have so much experience around standardisation from year to year that everything i would expect will go through them first.

It won’t be simply the grade awarded by Mrs Miggins...

And bang just like that Ely jnr comes home from school this afternoon shirt signed etc with the message “that’s it school is finished”

The view from school is that exam results based on teacher/predicted results.

That sucks for him

Poll: Will you still buy a Season Ticket for next year in league 1

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024