Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
I think there are many Brexit voters 19:30 - Apr 19 with 4788 viewsghostofescobar

Shifting uncomfortably in their seats, and perhaps feeling a tad guilty, because, whatever they may say in public, actually voted along lines of prejudice in the vote (get foreigners out), but have absolutely no arguments now they realise that this country relies massively on migrant labour: NHS, carers, van drivers, warehouse staff etc etc. If the Brexit vote was actually planned for the end of this year, it would undoubtably end in “remain”. I think my own parents would be entwined in this conundrum.

GhostOfEscobar

I think there are many Brexit voters on 11:11 - Apr 20 with 1688 viewslongtimefan

I think there are many Brexit voters on 10:52 - Apr 20 by Swansea_Blue

There seems to be a muddling of cause and effect. Of course not all people who voted leave are xenophobes, yet the Leave campaign was definitely fought on a xenophobia ticket. Easy to understand why people therefore all get tarred with the same brush, even if it will be unfair on some.

I agree with all your statements there, but I find it rather hypocritical that many of those who are implying superior intellect, must therefore be somewhat lazy in their comments.
I think there are many Brexit voters on 11:29 - Apr 20 with 1669 viewsBloomBlue

I think there are many Brexit voters on 10:52 - Apr 20 by Swansea_Blue

There seems to be a muddling of cause and effect. Of course not all people who voted leave are xenophobes, yet the Leave campaign was definitely fought on a xenophobia ticket. Easy to understand why people therefore all get tarred with the same brush, even if it will be unfair on some.

Whereas the Remain campaign was fought on 'you're thick' and 'you're a racist' maybe if the remain campaign had tried a different approach the outcome would have been different
I think there are many Brexit voters on 11:33 - Apr 20 with 1665 viewsmidastouch

I think there are many Brexit voters on 10:46 - Apr 20 by longtimefan

I voted against Brexit as I could never see how it could possibly be a success, but I must admit the constant chime by many, that people who did were either racist, xenophobic or stupid grates. I've no idea why, but UK head of my small EEA headed company (only 100 people in total worldwide) did, and he is married to a EU citizen, owns a second house in a EU country and is definitely not an idiot. Those characteristics may fit some, but to tar all with the same brush is also perhaps exhibiting one of those characteristics!

Thanks for that. I appreciate it. I actually watched the Brexit film yesterday as noticed it on Netflix. Have you seen it? If so what did you make of it? The guy they got to play Bernard Jenkin looked a dead ringer.
[Post edited 20 Apr 2020 11:34]

Poll: Would you trade Marcus Evans for Mike Ashley?

I think there are many Brexit voters on 13:30 - Apr 20 with 1601 viewseireblue

I think there are many Brexit voters on 11:29 - Apr 20 by BloomBlue

Whereas the Remain campaign was fought on 'you're thick' and 'you're a racist' maybe if the remain campaign had tried a different approach the outcome would have been different

That is not true.

Some remain supporters may have said those sort of things.
The remain campaign was based on an appeal to a centrist view on preservation of jobs and economic benefits. The assumption was that people tend to vote for the centre ground.

Leave was appealing to emotions.
I think there are many Brexit voters on 15:03 - Apr 20 with 1576 viewsSwansea_Blue

Wrong way round imo. The remain campaign was fought (although I'm reluctant to suggest they battled that strongly) over what would be lost, hence being dubbed Project Fear by the leavers. It was the public who then started calling people thick and racist for buying into Leave's dismissal of any potential negatives and lies around project fear and attack on foreigners. I don't remember there being anything about people being thick or racist in the Remain campaign.

But this is all old ground.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

I think there are many Brexit voters on 15:08 - Apr 20 with 1572 viewsjeera

I think there are many Brexit voters on 13:30 - Apr 20 by eireblue

That is not true.

Some remain supporters may have said those sort of things.
The remain campaign was based on an appeal to a centrist view on preservation of jobs and economic benefits. The assumption was that people tend to vote for the centre ground.

Leave was appealing to emotions.

No you're right.

I'm not sure what Bloom means there at all.

He's confusing what people may have called others since for their [perceived] poor decision making, but there was certainly no "If you vote what way you're thick" ads on TV or anywhere I read.

That would be a great advert approach though. "If you buy anyone elses' Baked Beans then you're thick. Almost as thick as our lovely tomatoey sauce we use in our brand."

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

I think there are many Brexit voters on 15:09 - Apr 20 with 1572 viewsSwansea_Blue

I think there are many Brexit voters on 11:11 - Apr 20 by longtimefan

I agree with all your statements there, but I find it rather hypocritical that many of those who are implying superior intellect, must therefore be somewhat lazy in their comments.

It's not a good look. It's horrible the way people have been pitted against each other, but it's but an inevitable consequence of the divide and conquer approach of the Leave campaign and certainly elements of the media. One of the oldest political tricks in the book, but worked a treat for them.

I think there are many Brexit voters on 15:14 - Apr 20 with 1561 viewsSwansea_Blue

I think there are many Brexit voters on 15:08 - Apr 20 by jeera

No you're right.

I'm not sure what Bloom means there at all.

He's confusing what people may have called others since for their [perceived] poor decision making, but there was certainly no "If you vote what way you're thick" ads on TV or anywhere I read.

That would be a great advert approach though. "If you buy anyone elses' Baked Beans then you're thick. Almost as thick as our lovely tomatoey sauce we use in our brand."

Quite. "Buy our beans or be a moron!' probably not the best slogan. Although the way things have been over the last few years.....

Login to get fewer ads

I think there are many Brexit voters on 15:15 - Apr 20 with 1559 viewsLeaky

I think there are many Brexit voters on 19:37 - Apr 19 by monytowbray

Ha! You think Brexit voters take any responsibility for their actions. I’ve encountered two ever, one of which was GTSB on here.

Anyone know how he and his family are doing? He posted in some brutal depth and honesty the challenges they faced but things were on the up last time he updated us I think?

Will there be an EU to negotiate with at the end of all this
I think there are many Brexit voters on 15:45 - Apr 20 with 1533 viewseireblue

I think there are many Brexit voters on 15:15 - Apr 20 by Leaky

Will there be an EU to negotiate with at the end of all this

You think there is a chance it will collapse by December?
I think there are many Brexit voters on 16:41 - Apr 20 with 1514 viewsLeaky

I think there are many Brexit voters on 15:45 - Apr 20 by eireblue

You think there is a chance it will collapse by December?

It will more than likely be fractured. However the bureaucrats will probably still be in place. No where else for them to go. The terms of our negotiated relationship with EU will however need to voted on by the 27 nations remaining that could be interesting.
I think there are many Brexit voters on 16:50 - Apr 20 with 1507 viewseireblue

I think there are many Brexit voters on 16:41 - Apr 20 by Leaky

It will more than likely be fractured. However the bureaucrats will probably still be in place. No where else for them to go. The terms of our negotiated relationship with EU will however need to voted on by the 27 nations remaining that could be interesting.

No it won’t. UK can leave without a deal.
I think there are many Brexit voters on 17:11 - Apr 20 with 1495 viewsBogblue

only after so many refused to listen to facts and reason
I think there are many Brexit voters on 21:59 - Apr 20 with 1457 viewstrueblue1970

I think there are many Brexit voters on 23:37 - Apr 19 by midastouch

The main point I'm making is simply this, I find it disrespectful to be put in a box where I'm branded a xenophobe just because I don't buy into the economic vision or future of the EU. That's the judgement call I made at the referendum. That's all. You might think I got that call wrong. If the EU is still going strong in 10 or 20 years (and we're left in their shadow) then I would be the first to admit I made a wrong call. But that's the call I made at the referendum, ultimately, only time will tell if I was right or wrong.

Well said although be ready for a number of posters to get onto you as they won’t like you have a different opinion to them very left wing on here !
I think there are many Brexit voters on 22:01 - Apr 20 with 1453 viewsjeera

I think there are many Brexit voters on 21:59 - Apr 20 by trueblue1970

Well said although be ready for a number of posters to get onto you as they won’t like you have a different opinion to them very left wing on here !

How many times does it need to be spelled out that the pro-EU Vs Brexit is not a flipping Right nor Left wing issue?

You're just throwing out some generic response without even knowing what you mean.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

I think there are many Brexit voters on 06:42 - Apr 21 with 1403 viewstrueblue1970

I think there are many Brexit voters on 22:01 - Apr 20 by jeera

How many times does it need to be spelled out that the pro-EU Vs Brexit is not a flipping Right nor Left wing issue?

You're just throwing out some generic response without even knowing what you mean.

It’s my opinion whether you agree or not it’s up to you, I rarely post here now due to all the politics and the way posters gang up on any opinions that are not from the left maybe that’s why I think like this?

Anyway more important things going on in the world that political point scoring

Keep safe
I think there are many Brexit voters on 07:39 - Apr 21 with 1380 viewsChurchman

I think there are many Brexit voters on 15:03 - Apr 20 by Swansea_Blue

Wrong way round imo. The remain campaign was fought (although I'm reluctant to suggest they battled that strongly) over what would be lost, hence being dubbed Project Fear by the leavers. It was the public who then started calling people thick and racist for buying into Leave's dismissal of any potential negatives and lies around project fear and attack on foreigners. I don't remember there being anything about people being thick or racist in the Remain campaign.

But this is all old ground.

The remain campaign was barely fought at all. I think what lame efforts were made ineffectual, confusing and negative with aspects ‘project fear’ e.g. what you will lose, including the economy immediately crashing. Idiotically T May tried the same tactic in the 2017 election and that didn’t go down well either. The leave campaign was a diet of nonsense built round a single message and of course proved much more effective.

People voted for all sorts of reasons, including a narrow majority of friends and relations - some sensible, some instinct, one because he loves chaos and Satan! I love democracy! I can’t say those who voted remain including myself (for me my economist head overrode my dislike of the EU heart - just) had a monopoly on right when it comes to this. There was too little information and too many lies for that. That was amply proven to me when through work it became clear that nobody in government had the faintest idea how the country actually worked, from regulations through to Eurotunnel operations.

The key for me is a comment by Midas here in that it’s all about looking through windscreen, not the rear view mirror. It’s done, it’s about the future, whatever the world looks like in six months time.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024