Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Solutions to the football question 11:43 - May 3 with 1143 viewspointofblue

This isn’t as much a thread in when or how football should restart but the form of games when it does. I personally feel it’s wrong not to finish this season as so much rides on it - if we were sitting where we should be we would want a chance to go up and there will be huge questions surrounding Bolton’s points deduction, for example, if this season is void.

Whenever football restarts I think this season needs to finish. If they need to curtail or change the format for next season then so be it; at least all clubs will be aware of the process prior to it starting. This does affect players on contracts which expire on 30th June so perhaps the transfer window should be opened if the season hasn’t restarted so they can sign for other clubs, or maybe an agreement in place between the PFA and the clubs for rolling contracts until the end of the season proper. This is the hardest issue to solve.

But I don’t think it’s in the competition’s interest to scrap the season altogether even though I fear that’s what they’ll decide to do.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Solutions to the football question on 11:59 - May 3 with 1114 viewsitfcjoe

I think the lengths that are going to need to be gone to to get the season finished just don't wash in League 1 or below.

They are talking about PL teams being isolated in their hotels from family and the outside world for 50-60 days, with a load of testing taking place (60k?). It's far from ideal but is understanable that it can happen.

The same or similar may happen in the Championship.

But once you get to L1 the money falls off a cliff - we were a low paying Champ team last year and our players have had 50-75% pay cuts in the close season, we'll have first teamers earning between £1k-£2k a week and we are one of the highest paying teams in the league. There will be plenty of players in this league earning £6-800 a week, and even less - asking them to go into a camp for 60 days just doesn't work, they aren't highly paid enough to make any sacrifice worthwhile.

I'd personally rather see this season finish at our level, and not because I think we've got a chance of going up because we are miles off it - but I just can't see how it works at this level.

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Solutions to the football question on 12:07 - May 3 with 1093 viewspointofblue

Solutions to the football question on 11:59 - May 3 by itfcjoe

I think the lengths that are going to need to be gone to to get the season finished just don't wash in League 1 or below.

They are talking about PL teams being isolated in their hotels from family and the outside world for 50-60 days, with a load of testing taking place (60k?). It's far from ideal but is understanable that it can happen.

The same or similar may happen in the Championship.

But once you get to L1 the money falls off a cliff - we were a low paying Champ team last year and our players have had 50-75% pay cuts in the close season, we'll have first teamers earning between £1k-£2k a week and we are one of the highest paying teams in the league. There will be plenty of players in this league earning £6-800 a week, and even less - asking them to go into a camp for 60 days just doesn't work, they aren't highly paid enough to make any sacrifice worthwhile.

I'd personally rather see this season finish at our level, and not because I think we've got a chance of going up because we are miles off it - but I just can't see how it works at this level.

I think the only way would be to scrap the European competitions for next season - not that that would affect the Championship and below - and let the season finish when it can under normal circumstances. Of course money will block that route but it’d make sense to not have players travelling across the continent until next summer.

The one bugbear in that solution would be what to do with the players contracts.

Solutions to the football question on 12:12 - May 3 with 1083 viewsChrisd

Solutions to the football question on 12:07 - May 3 by pointofblue

I think the only way would be to scrap the European competitions for next season - not that that would affect the Championship and below - and let the season finish when it can under normal circumstances. Of course money will block that route but it’d make sense to not have players travelling across the continent until next summer.

The one bugbear in that solution would be what to do with the players contracts.

And money appears the cul-de-sac for all the possible routes. When you sit down, listen or read what the possible solutions could be, the blocker is always the potential of millions being lost.
[Post edited 3 May 2020 16:57]

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

Solutions to the football question on 12:21 - May 3 with 1066 viewsitfcjoe

Solutions to the football question on 12:12 - May 3 by Chrisd

And money appears the cul-de-sac for all the possible routes. When you sit down, listen or read what the possible solutions could be, the blocker is always the potential of millions being lost.
[Post edited 3 May 2020 16:57]

I think people make too big a deal about the fact it is money driving it, that is the same the world over.

Football will need to return at some point, if it can be done safely with no real detrimental effects then I'm all for it - don't get me wrong I'm not absolutely gagging for it to or desperate for it, but will be pleased when it is back.

And I don't see it coming back in L1 or below, would be happy to see it though but don't get how it works

Solutions to the football question on 12:32 - May 3 with 1048 viewspointofblue

Solutions to the football question on 12:21 - May 3 by itfcjoe

I think people make too big a deal about the fact it is money driving it, that is the same the world over.

Football will need to return at some point, if it can be done safely with no real detrimental effects then I'm all for it - don't get me wrong I'm not absolutely gagging for it to or desperate for it, but will be pleased when it is back.

And I don't see it coming back in L1 or below, would be happy to see it though but don't get how it works

It certainly won’t work under the Project Restart approach and even that carries a lot of risk and sacrifice for the top two tiers. The only way would be to get rid of the deadline, come to an agreement with the PFA over the contract situation and then restart when it is safe to restart, working out additional permutations with the dates then.

Solutions to the football question on 12:39 - May 3 with 1037 viewsChrisd

If it wasn’t money or the potential for lawsuits they’d have made the decision already certainly regarding the EPL. There’s a lot at stake, whatever the final decision is going to be it’s going to be tough call and have implications.

I’m like you, I haven’t really missed football after getting over that first weekend, they can keep all the angst and frustration especially from our point of view as Town supporters currently.

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

Solutions to the football question on 12:43 - May 3 with 1034 viewsJ2BLUE

I want football and racing to come back. Perhaps that's selfish but if it can be done safely and without taking resources away from frontline staff then it should happen.

I think some people are underestimating the positive impact on mental health that the return of live sport will have. It's too easy to just criticise and claim it's all about money.

One thing i'd like to see if the Prem pay the lower leagues a fee (spread evenly after costs between all clubs) to use lower league neutral venues. There's no reason why games need to take place in massive empty stadiums. It would make much better viewing in smaller stadiums. If there are lower league stadiums with decent facilities then why not use them for a fee? I suppose the changing rooms would be the biggest factor but there must be options (as well as Bournemouth's stadium).

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Solutions to the football question on 12:48 - May 3 with 1022 viewsitfcjoe

Solutions to the football question on 12:43 - May 3 by J2BLUE

I want football and racing to come back. Perhaps that's selfish but if it can be done safely and without taking resources away from frontline staff then it should happen.

I think some people are underestimating the positive impact on mental health that the return of live sport will have. It's too easy to just criticise and claim it's all about money.

One thing i'd like to see if the Prem pay the lower leagues a fee (spread evenly after costs between all clubs) to use lower league neutral venues. There's no reason why games need to take place in massive empty stadiums. It would make much better viewing in smaller stadiums. If there are lower league stadiums with decent facilities then why not use them for a fee? I suppose the changing rooms would be the biggest factor but there must be options (as well as Bournemouth's stadium).

Also, football gets a bad image because it is all played out publicly.

Every industry in the world will be working out how to get back ASAP, as will every sport.

But every single snippet is reported upon and blasted when it comes to football, I'm sure if we knew what all industry leaders were saying then it wouldn't be such a big deal

Login to get fewer ads

Solutions to the football question on 12:53 - May 3 with 1015 viewsBrianTablet

Solutions to the football question on 12:43 - May 3 by J2BLUE

Why not combine them and have jockeys riding mascots. Every race win gets 3 points.
Punters can lose money, clubs can qualify for the Cashcow League, the government gets to distract people from its greed-centred policies and we get to pay Murdock for the privilege of watching.
Everyone's a winner!

"......Paul Mariner......John Wark...... Brian Tablet...errrrrrr Talbot"
Poll: In a hellish scenario, would you rather...

Solutions to the football question on 12:54 - May 3 with 1008 viewstractorboy1978

I don’t think this season can finish with any integrity in L1/L2 — it’s a non starter. The players have no obligation to extend contracts even if clubs could afford to extend them with no income. You’d end up with clubs (particularly those with nothing to play for) putting out severely weakened sides/youth teams to get the season completed to preserve cash. Games behind closed doors just isn’t financially feasible or viable for clubs at this level.
[Post edited 3 May 2020 13:01]
Solutions to the football question on 13:24 - May 3 with 981 viewsBasuco

The biggest question for me personally is at what level the daily new infection level and daily death level would need to come down to that would enable football to restart? In the last 4 days there were 21,115 recorded new infections 2,829 recorded death's, when you add that up until very recently our testing of suspected cases and reason for death has been very poor to very very poor, the UK is still a fair way short of safely resuming the football season. But player and support staff safety does not appear to be high on the list of priorities. Will there be testing for all hotel staff who will accommodate the players and staff?
Solutions to the football question on 13:36 - May 3 with 966 viewspointofblue

Solutions to the football question on 13:24 - May 3 by Basuco

The biggest question for me personally is at what level the daily new infection level and daily death level would need to come down to that would enable football to restart? In the last 4 days there were 21,115 recorded new infections 2,829 recorded death's, when you add that up until very recently our testing of suspected cases and reason for death has been very poor to very very poor, the UK is still a fair way short of safely resuming the football season. But player and support staff safety does not appear to be high on the list of priorities. Will there be testing for all hotel staff who will accommodate the players and staff?

I think safely restarting football is a long way away at the moment and it is irresponsible to think it could be done by mid-June as all and sundry want. Unfortunately I think all the focus is on Euro 2021 rather than the domestic leagues and wanting everything tied up with a bow for then; that plus the seeming insistence that the European club competitions should go ahead despite continental travel not being the best thing for the foreseeable future.

Solutions to the football question on 13:45 - May 3 with 951 viewsRadlett_blue

The main motivation for getting the PL going again is money as the clubs cannot continue to pay the players without broadcasting income. As far as the Championship is concerned, I'm sure the clubs keenest to finish the season are Leeds & WBA. I doubt it is viable for the lower leagues to finish as closed doors games will create extra cost & bring next to no revenue. Of course, if we were sitting 2nd, we would say that the season must finish or the current top 2 should be promoted anyway. No decision will please everyone.
The bigger issue will be re-starting a new season behind closed doors as again, most clubs won't be able to afford it.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Solutions to the football question on 14:14 - May 3 with 942 viewsvapour_trail

This ridiculous obsession with getting the competition completed is pissing me off.

I’m bothered about whether my local non league club, who my kids play in their youth teams, will still exist at the back end of this.

I couldn’t give a sh1t if Leeds go up or Chelsea get into the champions league. Load of boIIocks.

Sack. It. Off.

Trailing vapour since 1999.
Poll: Should Gav and Phil limiti the number of polls?

Solutions to the football question on 14:27 - May 3 with 928 viewspointofblue

Solutions to the football question on 14:14 - May 3 by vapour_trail

This ridiculous obsession with getting the competition completed is pissing me off.

I’m bothered about whether my local non league club, who my kids play in their youth teams, will still exist at the back end of this.

I couldn’t give a sh1t if Leeds go up or Chelsea get into the champions league. Load of boIIocks.

Sack. It. Off.

I agree there are many more concerning things than it, I agree with that, but I wanted to start a thread which didn’t revolve around death rate, PPE or the lockdown in general but look to the future in a sporting context, particularly league football which Ipswich Town is part of.

I have my fingers crossed that your local non-league team survives this.

Solutions to the football question on 14:33 - May 3 with 915 viewsvapour_trail

Solutions to the football question on 14:27 - May 3 by pointofblue

I agree there are many more concerning things than it, I agree with that, but I wanted to start a thread which didn’t revolve around death rate, PPE or the lockdown in general but look to the future in a sporting context, particularly league football which Ipswich Town is part of.

I have my fingers crossed that your local non-league team survives this.

Cheers.

I’m not arsed if we put in an unlikely surge for the play offs in a restarted league one. I’d be concerned if we were going bust.

The FA and PL should show some leadership and cancel it all now and work towards what constitutes a sensible time to start again.

Trailing vapour since 1999.
Poll: Should Gav and Phil limiti the number of polls?

Solutions to the football question on 14:36 - May 3 with 907 viewspointofblue

Solutions to the football question on 14:33 - May 3 by vapour_trail

Cheers.

I’m not arsed if we put in an unlikely surge for the play offs in a restarted league one. I’d be concerned if we were going bust.

The FA and PL should show some leadership and cancel it all now and work towards what constitutes a sensible time to start again.

I’m more concerned we’ll return and collapse completely if league football does return to finish off the season - think of all the extra players back from injury who Lambert can rotate!

If they do curtail it a decision will need to be made whether promotion and relegation will count and, if so, how they’ll be calculated. The additional concern will be of Sky and BT ask for money back due to lost matches as no doubt this will be taken from the consolidation payments made to the EFL rather than anyway which may damage the Premier League coffers.

Solutions to the football question on 17:12 - May 3 with 852 viewsRadlett_blue

Solutions to the football question on 14:33 - May 3 by vapour_trail

Cheers.

It's hard to come up with a coherent plan with no idea of when matches with fans might be able to re-start. The PL are understandably obsessed with securing their TV income, without which they will be unable to continue paying their players.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024