Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
What a disappointing season. 20:27 - May 21 with 3577 viewsitfcjoe

Much more disappointing than last season for me, with raised expectations and a brilliant start.

How it came to this I'll never know, it always felt like we kept forgoing chances to carry on momentum both with the chopping and changing of teams and the decision to postpone games when we would barely have been weakened. We seemed to outsmart ourselves.

I think generally, player for player, we got the recruitment pretty right in the summer - none have blown us away but I think in relation to Holy, Norwood, Vincent-Young and Wilson we can be quite happy with our business. On the loan side Garbutt proved to be a good addition but Norris seemed unnecessary at the time and proved to give us more questions than answers.

But the squad, when you see the make up of it seemed to be build for a 433, whereas we ended up playing 442 and 352. We only had 2 fit strikers and 3 fit centre backs until November or so in reality so seemed a strange way to go about things.

Things looked so rosy when we beat Fleetwood in October, but an international break, and then 2 league games and 6 cup games over a 6/7 week period just killed us.

I've been heavily critical of the manager, and it seemed as though after some harsh words at Lincoln the players got their point across and followed it up with an unchanged team and a decent run of performances and results. But as soon as we came up against well organised teams we just looked second best - no patterns of play, no familiarity in the line up and easy to play against.

For me a change of management is a must, we have largely the same squad of players under contract next season and whoever the manager is is going to have to get a tune out of them. Losing KVY and having Norwood not fully fit has cost us as well, but we will look back at this season as a massive missed opportunity, and with this pandemic here it may prove to be the biggest missed opportunity for a long time. Next season will start behind closed doors, almost certainly, and money will be tight and we've already committed to spending.

What a mess, and it was so unavoidable.

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

What a disappointing season. on 09:54 - May 22 with 417 viewspatrickswell

What a disappointing season. on 09:44 - May 22 by MattinLondon

Serious question - where do you think is Micks level? Lower half championship?

Definitely in the Championship. Our decline since he’s left means that his stock will remain high, and as the only one of Marcus Evans’s picks to have done anywhere near a good job here over the last decade, he stands out.

The worry from our perspective is that 3 of Evans’s choices have flopped badly, with a fourth is currently struggling as well. One offshoot of the quotes attributed to Frank Lampard earlier in the week leaves me wondering whether the club is currently perceived as unmanageable in its present form.
What a disappointing season. on 10:04 - May 22 with 398 viewsLibero

"AYE, I'LL TAKE IT IF YOUS DUNNAE WANT IT MOGGA"

What a disappointing season. on 10:24 - May 22 with 373 viewsLibero

What a disappointing season. on 09:54 - May 22 by patrickswell

Definitely in the Championship. Our decline since he’s left means that his stock will remain high, and as the only one of Marcus Evans’s picks to have done anywhere near a good job here over the last decade, he stands out.

The worry from our perspective is that 3 of Evans’s choices have flopped badly, with a fourth is currently struggling as well. One offshoot of the quotes attributed to Frank Lampard earlier in the week leaves me wondering whether the club is currently perceived as unmanageable in its present form.

Indeed, I can't imagine it being an attractive prospect for many up and coming managers.

High pressure job with low resources...

Again, this is partly why I'm convinced the next appointment needs to be an Ipswich man, it will at least buy some good will with supporters which would hopefully foster a mutual understanding and acknowledgement between club and fans of the circumstances the club finds itself in currently.

Let's take it back to basics. Shrink it down and do the simple things well.
- reclaim our identity as a club
- play attacking football
- bring through players through the academy with a clear pathway
- cost effective recruitment to supplement squad
- sell players year on year with an aim to reinvesting profits back into the team
- make the club a community cornerstone
What a disappointing season. on 10:41 - May 22 with 362 viewsStadiumofdark

Ridiculous isn't it. Catastrophic after being top and clear. Utter shambles.

Away game at Fleetwood and Tranmere were great..... I could tell we were going up as Champions. Now look.

Results are bad enough, but, the complete lack of identity on the pitch means he has to go. He's done a lot of good stuff - but that's mainly stuff someone else should have done (ie. marketing)

And... as for holding hands to celebrate the title after about 10 ames. Tinpot. FFS. We're in league 3
What a disappointing season. on 10:59 - May 22 with 343 viewstractorboy1978

What a disappointing season. on 10:24 - May 22 by Libero

Indeed, I can't imagine it being an attractive prospect for many up and coming managers.

High pressure job with low resources...

Again, this is partly why I'm convinced the next appointment needs to be an Ipswich man, it will at least buy some good will with supporters which would hopefully foster a mutual understanding and acknowledgement between club and fans of the circumstances the club finds itself in currently.

Let's take it back to basics. Shrink it down and do the simple things well.
- reclaim our identity as a club
- play attacking football
- bring through players through the academy with a clear pathway
- cost effective recruitment to supplement squad
- sell players year on year with an aim to reinvesting profits back into the team
- make the club a community cornerstone

It may be 'high pressure' at the moment in terms of we expect/need to get out of this division but Lambert has done just about as bad a job as could be done and not faced much pressure. We are a pretty placid lot. And relatively we do not have low resources. We will certainly have one of the top 3 budgets in the league next year.

I still think it's relatively attractive. Managers don't go into it thinking 'what if it goes wrong' and the potential upside of getting it right here is huge. It's a massive opportunity for any young manager.
What a disappointing season. on 11:58 - May 22 with 308 viewsLibero

What a disappointing season. on 10:59 - May 22 by tractorboy1978

It may be 'high pressure' at the moment in terms of we expect/need to get out of this division but Lambert has done just about as bad a job as could be done and not faced much pressure. We are a pretty placid lot. And relatively we do not have low resources. We will certainly have one of the top 3 budgets in the league next year.

I still think it's relatively attractive. Managers don't go into it thinking 'what if it goes wrong' and the potential upside of getting it right here is huge. It's a massive opportunity for any young manager.

I wish it was seen by more of the footballing world how you're describing.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024