Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Boris has dropped the NHS surcharge for NHS workers 18:34 - May 21 with 2361 viewssparks

Having said very robustly at PMQs that he did not agree it was appropriate to do so.

Not sure how I feel about that- praise for reassessing the arguments and making a change despite the embarrassment? Or is he so running scared he simlpy caved?

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)
Poll: Is Fred drunk this morning?

Boris has dropped the NHS surcharge for NHS workers on 18:35 - May 21 with 2349 viewsSpruceMoose

It would be nice if we could just trust him to make the right choice the first time round.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

Boris has dropped the NHS surcharge for NHS workers on 18:47 - May 21 with 2312 viewsIllinoisblue

Such a surprise that the buffoon with a history of bluster, deceit and lies is displaying those exact same qualities as PM.

How in the hell we ended up with Johnson and Trump will baffle for decades to come.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Boris has dropped the NHS surcharge for NHS workers on 18:56 - May 21 with 2287 viewsm14_blue

I don’t think Governments should be criticised when they realise a mistake and rectify it. For once having shameless populists in charge has paid dividends.

Hancock trying to make out it wasn’t a u-turn was comedy gold though.
Boris has dropped the NHS surcharge for NHS workers on 18:57 - May 21 with 2278 viewsfooters

Meh. It was only bringing in £900m in revenue a year, so pales in comparison to the £350m a week extra we'll be getting once Brexit Gets Done.

footers KC - Prosecution Barrister - Friend to all
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Boris has dropped the NHS surcharge for NHS workers on 18:57 - May 21 with 2279 viewsDanTheMan

I've never really cared about u-turns if they do the right thing eventually.

What they are doing is right.

Pretending it wasn't a u-turn was fairly funny.

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

Boris has dropped the NHS surcharge for NHS workers on 19:04 - May 21 with 2249 viewsNewcyBlue

Boris has dropped the NHS surcharge for NHS workers on 18:57 - May 21 by DanTheMan

I've never really cared about u-turns if they do the right thing eventually.

What they are doing is right.

Pretending it wasn't a u-turn was fairly funny.

No 10 u turn. by NewcyBlue 21 May 2020 16:43
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/live/2020/may/21/uk-coronavirus-live-news-update-covid-test-and-trace-second-wave?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

Migrant care workers no longer need to pay the migrant NHS surcharge.

Agreed. An effective opposition is holding the government to account finally too!

Poll: Who has been the best Bond?

Boris has dropped the NHS surcharge for NHS workers on 19:05 - May 21 with 2241 viewsartsbossbeard

That's a £900 million black hole to fill then..

Please note: prior to hitting the post button, I've double checked for anything that could be construed as "Anti Semitic" and to the best of my knowledge it isn't. Anything deemed to be of a Xenophobic nature is therefore purely accidental or down to your own misconstruing.
Poll: Raining in IP8 - shall I get the washing in?

Boris has dropped the NHS surcharge for NHS workers on 19:10 - May 21 with 2208 viewsLankHenners

Boris has dropped the NHS surcharge for NHS workers on 19:04 - May 21 by NewcyBlue

No 10 u turn. by NewcyBlue 21 May 2020 16:43
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/live/2020/may/21/uk-coronavirus-live-news-update-covid-test-and-trace-second-wave?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

Migrant care workers no longer need to pay the migrant NHS surcharge.

Agreed. An effective opposition is holding the government to account finally too!

They got a lot of pushback from lots of people, which importantly included their own voters, which shows the importance of making a fuss.

To chalk this up as a win for effective opposition holding the government to account is bogus.

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.
Poll: What is Celina's problem?

Login to get fewer ads

Boris has dropped the NHS surcharge for NHS workers on 19:12 - May 21 with 2189 viewsvapour_trail

Boris has dropped the NHS surcharge for NHS workers on 18:56 - May 21 by m14_blue

I don’t think Governments should be criticised when they realise a mistake and rectify it. For once having shameless populists in charge has paid dividends.

Your second paragraph negates the first.

It’s just relentless BS from this administration. Completely untrustworthy. Why would you believe anything they say.

Wholly unfit to govern.

Trailing vapour since 1999.
Poll: Should Gav and Phil limiti the number of polls?

Boris has dropped the NHS surcharge for NHS workers on 19:19 - May 21 with 2160 viewsBugs

Boris has dropped the NHS surcharge for NHS workers on 19:05 - May 21 by artsbossbeard

That's a £900 million black hole to fill then..

Apparently Johnson got his figures wrong....or lied in PMQs. It's £90 million, not £900 million.
Boris has dropped the NHS surcharge for NHS workers on 19:23 - May 21 with 2140 viewsm14_blue

Boris has dropped the NHS surcharge for NHS workers on 19:19 - May 21 by Bugs

Apparently Johnson got his figures wrong....or lied in PMQs. It's £90 million, not £900 million.

They were saying £30m on the radio earlier, £900m is the cost of the whole scheme.
Boris has dropped the NHS surcharge for NHS workers on 19:23 - May 21 with 2135 viewsm14_blue

Boris has dropped the NHS surcharge for NHS workers on 19:12 - May 21 by vapour_trail

It’s just relentless BS from this administration. Completely untrustworthy. Why would you believe anything they say.

Wholly unfit to govern.

Very fair point.
Boris has dropped the NHS surcharge for NHS workers on 19:40 - May 21 with 2098 viewssparks

Boris has dropped the NHS surcharge for NHS workers on 18:47 - May 21 by Illinoisblue

Such a surprise that the buffoon with a history of bluster, deceit and lies is displaying those exact same qualities as PM.

How in the hell we ended up with Johnson and Trump will baffle for decades to come.

How are you able to tell the difference between those things, and reflecting and coming to a better decision (which is laudible) in these circumstances?

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)
Poll: Is Fred drunk this morning?

Boris has dropped the NHS surcharge for NHS workers on 19:49 - May 21 with 2076 viewsSwansea_Blue

Just got to be thankful that they're not proceeding with this policy to treat foreigners (and us by extension) with contempt.

In this case anyway; they'll need to keep their core support so no doubt they'll find other ways to keep the xenophobia going (couldn't resist the dig, but they deserve it).

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Boris has dropped the NHS surcharge for NHS workers on 19:56 - May 21 with 2053 viewsFixed_It

Boris has dropped the NHS surcharge for NHS workers on 19:40 - May 21 by sparks

How are you able to tell the difference between those things, and reflecting and coming to a better decision (which is laudible) in these circumstances?

The most worrying thing is that he/they thought the original decision was right in the first place, surely?

Ready! Steady! Cook!
Poll: Club v. Country - which comes first for you?

Boris has dropped the NHS surcharge for NHS workers on 19:57 - May 21 with 2050 viewsSwansea_Blue

Boris has dropped the NHS surcharge for NHS workers on 19:12 - May 21 by vapour_trail

Wholly unfit to govern.

"Wholly unfit to govern"

In a nutshell, yeah. It's a Vote Leave protest organisation pretending to be a government. Quite a few of them were around before Cummings/Elliot, etc., though. So I hang on to the slim chance that buried beneath all this populist bullsh*t there are some people who remember why they entered politics.

On the other hand, I'm fairly sure that's a futile hope as this is a cabinet rammed full of sycophants who've demonstrated they have no morals, have switched allegiances, abandoned their principles and have literally shown they are prepared to discriminate against their own family in order to get a top job (the last being reference to Patel, who would have prevented her parents entering Britain).

Boris has dropped the NHS surcharge for NHS workers on 23:00 - May 21 with 1909 viewstractordownsouth

Boris has dropped the NHS surcharge for NHS workers on 19:19 - May 21 by Bugs

Also, the £900m figure he used was for all migrants and over 4 years.

Second time in just over a week he's lied to parliament then

Poll: Preferred Lambert replacement?
Blog: No Time to Panic Yet

Boris has dropped the NHS surcharge for NHS workers on 08:41 - May 22 with 1776 viewsBrixtonBlue

Boris has dropped the NHS surcharge for NHS workers on 18:56 - May 21 by m14_blue

They didn't so much realise the mistake as had it pointed out to them by Keir Starmer at PMQ's.

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

Boris has dropped the NHS surcharge for NHS workers on 08:52 - May 22 with 1764 viewsvilanovablue

Boris has dropped the NHS surcharge for NHS workers on 19:23 - May 21 by m14_blue

They were saying £30m on the radio earlier, £900m is the cost of the whole scheme.

Over 4 years it's £900 million for 1 year for this specific thing it's more like £32 million. Boris unsurprisingly was being disingenuous in PMQ'S.
Boris has dropped the NHS surcharge for NHS workers on 09:23 - May 22 with 1730 viewsSwansea_Blue

Boris has dropped the NHS surcharge for NHS workers on 23:00 - May 21 by tractordownsouth

Also, the £900m figure he used was for all migrants and over 4 years.

Second time in just over a week he's lied to parliament then

I always thought that misleading parliament was meant to be a serious offence, that tended to result in losing one's position. Seems like that's not the case with Johnson though 🤷‍♂️

Boris has dropped the NHS surcharge for NHS workers on 11:32 - May 22 with 1669 viewsElephantintheRoom

The tax will simply come from elsewhere - and everybody is happy despite paying more.

I must admit when I saw the size of the NHS surcharge I'm surprised migrants don't go private - its considerably cheaper.

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

Boris has dropped the NHS surcharge for NHS workers on 11:35 - May 22 with 1655 viewsSwansea_Blue

Boris has dropped the NHS surcharge for NHS workers on 11:32 - May 22 by ElephantintheRoom

The tax will simply come from elsewhere - and everybody is happy despite paying more.

I must admit when I saw the size of the NHS surcharge I'm surprised migrants don't go private - its considerably cheaper.

They don't get a choice. They have to pay it when they apply for immigration.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024