Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Portion of people who are not even susceptible to Covid-19 may be as high as 80% 18:01 - Jun 4 with 4035 viewsGlasgowBlue

https://unherd.com/2020/06/karl-friston-up-to-80-not-even-susceptible-to-covid-1

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Portion of people who are not even susceptible to Covid-19 may be as high as 80% on 08:20 - Jun 5 with 568 viewssparks

Portion of people who are not even susceptible to Covid-19 may be as high as 80% on 08:18 - Jun 5 by Steve_M

It's definitely worth sharing articles like this, it might be more helpful if the article didn't lead on the sensational 80% figure though.

I have seen half a dozen articles posted on here from Unherd and I am sceptical about evry one of them. It is not a site which feels remotely trustworthy. The very name of it says it all- carrying the idea that the sheeple dont know the truth and that they do...
[Post edited 5 Jun 2020 8:20]

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)
Poll: Is Fred drunk this morning?

Portion of people who are not even susceptible to Covid-19 may be as high as 80% on 08:24 - Jun 5 with 561 viewsHerbivore

Portion of people who are not even susceptible to Covid-19 may be as high as 80% on 07:15 - Jun 5 by gordon

If you're interested in the effect of lockdowns, then comparing Sweden to the UK isn't that informative because the UK lockdown occurred so late, and the UK data will be high because the gov response here has been so haphazard.

Comparing Sweden to similar sized countries like Finland, Norway, Denmark, and Central European countries would likely be more useful.

Our response also wasn't lockdown in the way lockdown was implemented elsewhere. Our version of lockdown sat somewhere between a full lockdown and the Swedish approach.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Portion of people who are not even susceptible to Covid-19 may be as high as 80% on 08:40 - Jun 5 with 539 viewsGlasgowBlue

Portion of people who are not even susceptible to Covid-19 may be as high as 80% on 08:20 - Jun 5 by sparks

I have seen half a dozen articles posted on here from Unherd and I am sceptical about evry one of them. It is not a site which feels remotely trustworthy. The very name of it says it all- carrying the idea that the sheeple dont know the truth and that they do...
[Post edited 5 Jun 2020 8:20]

Here is prof Karl Friston discussing his research in the Guardian then.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/may/31/covid-19-expert-karl-friston-germa

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Portion of people who are not even susceptible to Covid-19 may be as high as 80% on 08:41 - Jun 5 with 538 viewsgordon

Portion of people who are not even susceptible to Covid-19 may be as high as 80% on 08:05 - Jun 5 by GlasgowBlue

I just thought it was an interesting article worth putting out there for discussion.

The article quote’s Professor Karl Friston, who sits on the alternative SAGE, as being an expert in “understanding complex and dynamic biological processes by representing them in mathematical models. Within the neuroscience field he was ranked by Science magazine as the most influential in the world”

I’m not saying you are doing this, but I didn’t expect people to just put their hands over their ears and dismiss his research.

When we still know so little about Covid and why it has taken hold in some countries and not others, I think it’s important that scientists from all fields should apply their expertise in trying to understand it more.
[Post edited 5 Jun 2020 8:13]

There isn't any research presented in the article, just a theory.
Portion of people who are not even susceptible to Covid-19 may be as high as 80% on 08:49 - Jun 5 with 529 viewsgordon

Portion of people who are not even susceptible to Covid-19 may be as high as 80% on 08:40 - Jun 5 by GlasgowBlue

Here is prof Karl Friston discussing his research in the Guardian then.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/may/31/covid-19-expert-karl-friston-germa

The source is irrelevant, at the moment there just isn't much empirical evidence to support this theory. e.g:

EDIT: just to add, the following sentence is in the Friston paper as well: 'within a week of the peak death rate, there should be sufficient herd immunity to preclude any resurgence of infections in, say, London.'
[Post edited 5 Jun 2020 8:57]
Portion of people who are not even susceptible to Covid-19 may be as high as 80% on 10:30 - Jun 5 with 472 views26_Paz

Very interesting article, thanks for sharing

The Paz Man

Portion of people who are not even susceptible to Covid-19 may be as high as 80% on 10:38 - Jun 5 with 464 viewsEireannach_gorm

Portion of people who are not even susceptible to Covid-19 may be as high as 80% on 07:15 - Jun 5 by gordon

If you're interested in the effect of lockdowns, then comparing Sweden to the UK isn't that informative because the UK lockdown occurred so late, and the UK data will be high because the gov response here has been so haphazard.

Comparing Sweden to similar sized countries like Finland, Norway, Denmark, and Central European countries would likely be more useful.

Sweden not doing so good on those comparisons either ( on any parameter ). Ireland not too impressive either but is levelling off.

https://ig.ft.com/coronavirus-chart/?areas=swe&areas=fin&areas=nor&areas=dnk&are
Portion of people who are not even susceptible to Covid-19 may be as high as 80% on 10:58 - Jun 5 with 450 viewsJ2BLUE

Portion of people who are not even susceptible to Covid-19 may be as high as 80% on 08:49 - Jun 5 by gordon

The source is irrelevant, at the moment there just isn't much empirical evidence to support this theory. e.g:

EDIT: just to add, the following sentence is in the Friston paper as well: 'within a week of the peak death rate, there should be sufficient herd immunity to preclude any resurgence of infections in, say, London.'
[Post edited 5 Jun 2020 8:57]

Go on youtube and watch the video if you have time. He's challenged on a lot of this stuff and says some of his words have been misrepresented.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024