Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
So next season, if by some miracle we’re in the top two in March... 18:15 - Jun 9 with 1287 viewspointofblue

We just ask for the season to end. Obviously it is fine to have an arbitrary point to call everything off and say that’s enough - declare the winners etc.? Why on Earth should we - or any club - look to play on and put promotion at risk?

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

So next season, if by some miracle we’re in the top two in March... on 18:17 - Jun 9 with 1276 viewsSwansea_Blue

Eh?

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

So next season, if by some miracle we’re in the top two in March... on 18:21 - Jun 9 with 1249 viewspointofblue

So next season, if by some miracle we’re in the top two in March... on 18:17 - Jun 9 by Swansea_Blue

Eh?

The season should have been played out in full - not finished with the table decided on an arbitrary date, even over two thirds through the season.

I’m bitter now but will be even more so if we’re in the top two next March then see our form completely drop. Do I think we would have made the play offs? No. Do I think Coventry and Rotherham were nailed on promotion certainties? Maybe and no. Do Tranmere deserve to go down? Not at this stage, no.

So next season, if by some miracle we’re in the top two in March... on 18:22 - Jun 9 with 1243 viewsBluefish

I refuse to believe anyone is genuinely this stupid

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

So next season, if by some miracle we’re in the top two in March... on 18:23 - Jun 9 with 1239 viewspointofblue

So next season, if by some miracle we’re in the top two in March... on 18:22 - Jun 9 by Bluefish

Not stupid - bitter. Though I would argue the season should have been played out, even if it meant having to wait until next March to do so and almost ‘skip a year’.

So next season, if by some miracle we’re in the top two in March... on 18:25 - Jun 9 with 1231 viewsSwansea_Blue

So next season, if by some miracle we’re in the top two in March... on 18:21 - Jun 9 by pointofblue

The season should have been played out in full - not finished with the table decided on an arbitrary date, even over two thirds through the season.

I’m bitter now but will be even more so if we’re in the top two next March then see our form completely drop. Do I think we would have made the play offs? No. Do I think Coventry and Rotherham were nailed on promotion certainties? Maybe and no. Do Tranmere deserve to go down? Not at this stage, no.

I don't think we can completely ignore this little thing called Covid-19, in fairness to the league.

So next season, if by some miracle we’re in the top two in March... on 18:30 - Jun 9 with 1210 viewsEastTownBlue

I believe that March will be a little late for the second wave.
So next season, if by some miracle we’re in the top two in March... on 18:34 - Jun 9 with 1199 viewsBluefish

So next season, if by some miracle we’re in the top two in March... on 18:23 - Jun 9 by pointofblue

Not stupid - bitter. Though I would argue the season should have been played out, even if it meant having to wait until next March to do so and almost ‘skip a year’.

How ridiculous. The knock on effects and contractual issues would have made it impossible. It is an unprecedented take it on the chin get it finished and move on quickly

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

So next season, if by some miracle we’re in the top two in March... on 18:41 - Jun 9 with 1162 viewsHerbivore

This is a joke, right?

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Login to get fewer ads

So next season, if by some miracle we’re in the top two in March... on 18:41 - Jun 9 with 1159 viewspointofblue

So next season, if by some miracle we’re in the top two in March... on 18:34 - Jun 9 by Bluefish

How ridiculous. The knock on effects and contractual issues would have made it impossible. It is an unprecedented take it on the chin get it finished and move on quickly

It would have needed complete agreement from FIFA and UEFA to work across the board, rather than them set a deadline for this season to end. If they had said they wanted this season to be played out in full by May 2021 then they could have approached the respective PFAs and come to an agreement. As it is we have this season being badly effected and (at least) the start of next season could go through the same thing.

So next season, if by some miracle we’re in the top two in March... on 18:51 - Jun 9 with 1123 viewsSwansea_Blue

So next season, if by some miracle we’re in the top two in March... on 18:41 - Jun 9 by Herbivore

This is a joke, right?

I was wondering.

So next season, if by some miracle we’re in the top two in March... on 19:02 - Jun 9 with 1089 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

So next season, if by some miracle we’re in the top two in March... on 18:41 - Jun 9 by pointofblue

It would have needed complete agreement from FIFA and UEFA to work across the board, rather than them set a deadline for this season to end. If they had said they wanted this season to be played out in full by May 2021 then they could have approached the respective PFAs and come to an agreement. As it is we have this season being badly effected and (at least) the start of next season could go through the same thing.

The PFA can’t just unilaterally change contract dates, it would still be an utter mess. Even with the current short extension you have players like the Charlton 3 refusing to extend contracts, and there will no doubt be a number of clubs that choose not to extend contracts of players that are surplus to requirements in the next couple of weeks - which is one thing when the season is overrunning by a month but in your suggested approach would see them basically unable to work for a year

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

So next season, if by some miracle we’re in the top two in March... on 19:04 - Jun 9 with 1063 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Because equating a completely unforeseen global pandemic that has forced the season to be curtailed through no fault of anyone’s, not to mention resulted in thousands of actual deaths across the world, to a football club not wanting to lose a promotion place at the tail end of a normal season would be utterly ludicrous

So next season, if by some miracle we’re in the top two in March... on 19:09 - Jun 9 with 1039 viewspointofblue

So next season, if by some miracle we’re in the top two in March... on 19:02 - Jun 9 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

The PFA can’t just unilaterally change contract dates, it would still be an utter mess. Even with the current short extension you have players like the Charlton 3 refusing to extend contracts, and there will no doubt be a number of clubs that choose not to extend contracts of players that are surplus to requirements in the next couple of weeks - which is one thing when the season is overrunning by a month but in your suggested approach would see them basically unable to work for a year

Yes, there’d have to be a unilateral agreement in place which would be messy. Thinking about it, the obvious solution would be the Premier League increasing payments down the pyramid so the season could be finished at League One and Two level along the same timetable as the Championship though I’m not sure how much that would cost them.

So next season, if by some miracle we’re in the top two in March... on 19:11 - Jun 9 with 1029 viewsShawsey

So next season, if by some miracle we’re in the top two in March... on 18:22 - Jun 9 by Bluefish

Believe it.
So next season, if by some miracle we’re in the top two in March... on 21:18 - Jun 9 with 915 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

So next season, if by some miracle we’re in the top two in March... on 19:09 - Jun 9 by pointofblue

Yes, there’d have to be a unilateral agreement in place which would be messy. Thinking about it, the obvious solution would be the Premier League increasing payments down the pyramid so the season could be finished at League One and Two level along the same timetable as the Championship though I’m not sure how much that would cost them.

It’s pretty much impossible to have a unilateral agreement to govern hundreds of different contracts though which encompass a huge range of situations. Which is why they haven’t been able to do one for extending the season by a month, let alone another year

As for the PL funding other leagues, what about those below League Two?

So next season, if by some miracle we’re in the top two in March... on 22:17 - Jun 9 with 857 viewspointofblue

So next season, if by some miracle we’re in the top two in March... on 21:18 - Jun 9 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

It’s pretty much impossible to have a unilateral agreement to govern hundreds of different contracts though which encompass a huge range of situations. Which is why they haven’t been able to do one for extending the season by a month, let alone another year

As for the PL funding other leagues, what about those below League Two?

Even messier, whilst League One and League Two finished via PPG wasn’t the Blue Square Bet Premier League voided instead, despite Barrow having a healthy lead? There’s no unison across the leagues, each one seems to be taking a different approach.

To be honest, if we had to finish and use PPG I think I would have preferred them to use Tranmere’s margin of error model rather than the one they have done. I guess they decided against t as it would have expanded the Play Offs and resulted in only two teams going down.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024