Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Is England the most corrupt nation on Earth? Monbiot thinks it is Britain... 09:08 - Jul 7 with 3096 viewsWeWereZombies

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

Is England the most corrupt nation on Earth? Monbiot thinks it is Britain... on 11:57 - Jul 7 with 910 viewsSwansea_Blue

Is England the most corrupt nation on Earth? Monbiot thinks it is Britain... on 09:40 - Jul 7 by gordon

In the interview Monbiot just reports that Roberto Saviano called Britain the most corrupt nation on Earth, in reference to our attitude to tax havens and flows of international capital. That is something quite different to Jenrick's grubbiness though.

Here's the article on Saviano's argument so it can be appraised on it's merits:

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/roberto-saviano-britain-corrupt-
[Post edited 7 Jul 2020 9:41]

And since then, the politics has become more corrupt.

Are we the most corrupt? Frankly I don't care. We launder money from those countries people would normally associate we used to consider corrupt. And we're tax haven leaders. And we've a government that is highly susceptible to their donor's financial pressure.

None should be acceptable.
[Post edited 7 Jul 2020 12:00]

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Is England the most corrupt nation on Earth? Monbiot thinks it is Britain... on 12:29 - Jul 7 with 881 viewsEwan_Oozami

Is England the most corrupt nation on Earth? Monbiot thinks it is Britain... on 09:56 - Jul 7 by gordon

Sure, that's not really what Saviano was talking about though.

"...The City of London is the money-laundering centre of the world’s drug trade, according to an internationally acclaimed crime expert. Another expert in Mafia criminology has come forward and stated the UK is now the most corrupt country in the world and firmly pins the blame on The City of London. In addition, every notable financial expert now agrees that due to incredibly lax financial laws facilitated by the British government, the London property market is heavily influenced by laundered money from all over the world involving hidden tax havens, most of which are British."

https://truepublica.org.uk/united-kingdom/city-london-centre-global-crime-scene/

No wonder they were desperate to leave the EU and their nasty, mean-spirited anti-money laundering and tax avoiding rules...

Just one small problem; sell their houses to who, Ben? Fcking Aquaman?
Poll: What else could go on top of the cake apart from icing and a cherry?

Is England the most corrupt nation on Earth? Monbiot thinks it is Britain... on 12:38 - Jul 7 with 860 viewsSeablu

Is England the most corrupt nation on Earth? Monbiot thinks it is Britain... on 10:23 - Jul 7 by GlasgowBlue

I’m missing nothing. I’ve dealt specifically with two points. Firstly I was answering the question in the op. “Is England the most corrupt nation in earth” and secondly I was replying to Gordon who said “No idea where that ranks us globally”.

No more and no less as I don’t have the time to address the wider point in the article or watch the video with sound where I am.

Another ‘I’m too busy’ swerve when challenged.
Dentist again?
‘Please relieve me of this frightful discomfort’ said Maxillary Lateral Incisor imploringly.
Is England the most corrupt nation on Earth? Monbiot thinks it is Britain... on 17:19 - Jul 7 with 794 viewsjaykay

Is England the most corrupt nation on Earth? Monbiot thinks it is Britain... on 12:38 - Jul 7 by Seablu

Dentist again?
‘Please relieve me of this frightful discomfort’ said Maxillary Lateral Incisor imploringly.

look who came out to up vote his post. mind you that person use to for benters posts

forensic experts say footers and spruces fingerprints were not found at the scene after the weekends rows

Is England the most corrupt nation on Earth? Monbiot thinks it is Britain... on 19:05 - Jul 7 with 762 viewsTrequartista

When you look at what goes on around the world and you come to the conclusion that Britain is the most corrupt nation, then i can only say you either despise your own country, or you are trolling.

Poll: Who do you blame for our failure to progress?

Is England the most corrupt nation on Earth? Monbiot thinks it is Britain... on 19:16 - Jul 7 with 742 viewsWeWereZombies

Is England the most corrupt nation on Earth? Monbiot thinks it is Britain... on 19:05 - Jul 7 by Trequartista

When you look at what goes on around the world and you come to the conclusion that Britain is the most corrupt nation, then i can only say you either despise your own country, or you are trolling.

I asked the question and have yet to decide if Monbiot is correct. On a side note, no one has yet picked up the error I spotted in the video - Britain is termed a nation when in fact it is four, or perhaps five nations...plus some islands that are dependencies, bailwicks and so on. Then the article from The Independent that gets linked muddies it again by talking about the United Kingdom, so that rules out Northern Ireland if we want to get pedantic. There again we could insist on the term Great Britain if we wanted to just restrict things to the largest island but that is becoming archaic.

Which is a long winded way of getting to the issue of saying that it is the City of London that seems to be the focus of the inquiry, that is where the money laundering is alleged to go on (despite some extensive checks and balances in the banking sector). So should the rest of this archipelago get tarred with the same brush?

And the big questions that I wanted to get peoples opinions on are not being answered at all. If the City did manage to enforce regulation to the extent that only 'clean' money passed through the United Kingdom and Northern Ireland would that just move the problem to Singapore, or Shanghai, or somewhere else? If that happened would there be even less control over the funding of organised crime?

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

Is England the most corrupt nation on Earth? Monbiot thinks it is Britain... on 19:17 - Jul 7 with 738 viewsSpruceMoose

Yet again we have a thread stuffed full of comments from people desperate to have their say but too lazy to watch the link provided by OP. All this does is lead to multiple irrelevant posts that we have to wade through to get to the relevant stuff.

Honestly, is it too much to ask that if you're 'too busy' or just can't be arsed to look at the source material, then please, reflect on the fact that your contribution will be too limited to be of interest and just keep it to yourself?

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

Is England the most corrupt nation on Earth? Monbiot thinks it is Britain... on 19:26 - Jul 7 with 719 viewsSpruceMoose

Is England the most corrupt nation on Earth? Monbiot thinks it is Britain... on 12:38 - Jul 7 by Seablu

Dentist again?

Come on now Seablu, he blessed us with his insight and answered the points... Just not any relevant ones.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."

Login to get fewer ads

Is England the most corrupt nation on Earth? Monbiot thinks it is Britain... on 20:40 - Jul 7 with 682 viewsDarth_Koont

Is England the most corrupt nation on Earth? Monbiot thinks it is Britain... on 19:05 - Jul 7 by Trequartista

Watch the video.

In terms of volume of corruption going through the City there's a compelling argument. Before you even address our wonky "democracy" and dodgy politicians.

Pronouns: He/Him

Is England the most corrupt nation on Earth? Monbiot thinks it is Britain... on 20:43 - Jul 7 with 676 viewsSeablu

Is England the most corrupt nation on Earth? Monbiot thinks it is Britain... on 19:26 - Jul 7 by SpruceMoose

Come on now Seablu, he blessed us with his insight and answered the points... Just not any relevant ones.

It’s almost like he has his own preset agenda...
I’ll probably be explaining myself to an expensive solicitor shortly.
Is England the most corrupt nation on Earth? Monbiot thinks it is Britain... on 20:48 - Jul 7 with 670 viewsSwansea_Blue

You have to at least ask the question when a mafia expert believes we're the most corrupt. You'd need to know the distinction he's making between petty corruption (slipping an official a fiver to turn a blind eye), which we don't have, and massive scale money laundering by some of the world's largest criminal gangs.

I expect none of us have experienced the corruption he's talking about, so it probably pays to listen and question what's happening.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Is England the most corrupt nation on Earth? Monbiot thinks it is Britain... on 20:52 - Jul 7 with 662 viewsSpruceMoose

Is England the most corrupt nation on Earth? Monbiot thinks it is Britain... on 20:48 - Jul 7 by Swansea_Blue

You have to at least ask the question when a mafia expert believes we're the most corrupt. You'd need to know the distinction he's making between petty corruption (slipping an official a fiver to turn a blind eye), which we don't have, and massive scale money laundering by some of the world's largest criminal gangs.

I expect none of us have experienced the corruption he's talking about, so it probably pays to listen and question what's happening.

Damn, and just when I was about to dismiss it all entirely because I always stick to my very first superficial and uninformed impression of a subject!

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024