Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
It is sobering how low our ambitions as a club really are. 13:41 - Jul 12 with 1287 viewsdominiciawful

"When it was put to him that it was more than just the final few months, the record of four league wins in 21 stretched back to November, O’Neill responded: “I think at the end of January though we were top of the league. You can look at it and you might pick up a point away from home and people deem that as not a good result but at the end of the day the league table doesn’t lie, if you’re in and around it, you’re performing well."

I know we read so much into every word uttered by everybody in football, but it's just depressing to hear him come out and say that we were "performing well". We weren't. With a competent manager last season we would be playing back in the Championship in 2020/21. As it was, we recorded our lowest league finish for 67 years, finishing below Wycombe Wanderers, Fleetwood Town and Gillingham. If the season had been played to a conclusion we would've finished pretty much in the same spot.

O''Neill mentions how at the end of January we were (briefly) back at the top of the division but I think most of us recognise we didn't deserve to be there based on performances. The form over the MAJORITY of the season was a disgrace and would see us in a serious relegation battle if it was to be replicated next season.

I know I'm not exactly saying anything new here. It would just be nice for the club (O'Neill) to not pussyfoot around and actually acknowledge how utterly shïte most of last season was. Regardless of what has been said internally, if he and some of the players are coming out publicly with things like that and mentions of how it "wasn't good enough" and how we'll "put it right next year" it just comes across as us being content with failure, frankly. As it has done for a fair while now.

Poll: Which manager of the Marcus Evans era do you dislike the most?

It is sobering how low our ambitions as a club really are. on 13:43 - Jul 12 with 1258 viewsHerbivore

It's delusional. We were able to return to the top after a brief upturn in form purely because of our excellent start where we picked up a fair few more points than our rivals. That start was the blip this season, not the poor form that characterised almost all of the rest of the season bar a brief upturn in January.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

It is sobering how low our ambitions as a club really are. on 14:44 - Jul 12 with 1163 viewsbraveblue

Not pussyfooting around. Problem is he has no clue what he is taking about. To say we were performing well is a naive comment.
It is sobering how low our ambitions as a club really are. on 16:48 - Jul 12 with 1011 viewsTractorWood

What are his qualifications to talk down to us about how the season went?

Played at the highest level?
Coached at the highest level?
Been involved generally in football at a high level?

Didn't think so.
[Post edited 12 Jul 2020 16:53]

I know that was then, but it could be again..
Poll: At present who do you think you'll vote for?

It is sobering how low our ambitions as a club really are. on 16:52 - Jul 12 with 999 viewsCokeIsKey

Understandable, humans weren’t designed to play football.

Poll: Should Lambert continue as the Ipswich Town manager?

It is sobering how low our ambitions as a club really are. on 18:11 - Jul 12 with 878 viewsGarv

I'm not going to argue the overall point but you can't say we didn't deserve to be top in January. We got there by having a good month an winning a few games, and because of our good start we hadn't fallen that far behind during our horrendous November/December, allowing to claw our way back.

You deserve to finish where you finish, and if the season had ended at that time in January, we would have gone up.

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

It is sobering how low our ambitions as a club really are. on 18:48 - Jul 12 with 835 viewsJDB23

I mean, the league table very much does lie, hence us finishing 11th. It's just a catchphrase he's heard football pundits use before and is repeating to defend the shambles of a season we've just had.

Frighting to think where we would have finished had we not ground out some of those wins at the start despite not playing particularly well.
It is sobering how low our ambitions as a club really are. on 07:14 - Jul 13 with 639 viewsBlueBadger

It is sobering how low our ambitions as a club really are. on 18:48 - Jul 12 by JDB23

I mean, the league table very much does lie, hence us finishing 11th. It's just a catchphrase he's heard football pundits use before and is repeating to defend the shambles of a season we've just had.

Frighting to think where we would have finished had we not ground out some of those wins at the start despite not playing particularly well.

I have a nasty feeling that this coming season will be the ultimate reality check for those who still somehow think that Lambert is up to the job.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

It is sobering how low our ambitions as a club really are. on 07:49 - Jul 13 with 606 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

It is sobering how low our ambitions as a club really are. on 18:11 - Jul 12 by Garv

I'm not going to argue the overall point but you can't say we didn't deserve to be top in January. We got there by having a good month an winning a few games, and because of our good start we hadn't fallen that far behind during our horrendous November/December, allowing to claw our way back.

You deserve to finish where you finish, and if the season had ended at that time in January, we would have gone up.

That ‘good month’ in January saw us beat the teams that finished 14th, 17th and 21st in the table whilst failing to beat the 3 decent sides we played. Oh and we crashed out of the one competition that we actually had a shot at, to a Lee Martin winner

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

Login to get fewer ads

It is sobering how low our ambitions as a club really are. on 08:18 - Jul 13 with 564 viewsistanblue

Lee O'Neill still thinks that if the season had been played to a conclusion then we would have made top six. Guy's a joke.
It is sobering how low our ambitions as a club really are. on 10:35 - Jul 13 with 503 viewsGarv

It is sobering how low our ambitions as a club really are. on 07:49 - Jul 13 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

That ‘good month’ in January saw us beat the teams that finished 14th, 17th and 21st in the table whilst failing to beat the 3 decent sides we played. Oh and we crashed out of the one competition that we actually had a shot at, to a Lee Martin winner

Not wrong. Failing to get points/wins against the good sides was a massive issue all season.

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024