Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
CPFC valuation of Flynn Downes at £2m-£2.5m (n/t) 14:48 - Jul 24 with 4186 viewsTheTrueBlue1878

Poll: Would you be happy with Paul Lambert?

CPFC valuation of Flynn Downes at £2m-£2.5m (n/t) on 16:27 - Jul 24 with 789 viewsitfcjoe

CPFC valuation of Flynn Downes at £2m-£2.5m (n/t) on 16:21 - Jul 24 by Herbivore

Looking at the most recent u-20 squad in contrast to the u-21s I'd say there's a fair gap in terms of quality though.

True, but there aren't many players who are playing up at that age any more - Downes may now be too old as his U20 games were the season before.

But he had a decent run interntaionally for someone late coming into the system when it is hard to break through

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

CPFC valuation of Flynn Downes at £2m-£2.5m (n/t) on 16:29 - Jul 24 with 778 viewsHerbivore

CPFC valuation of Flynn Downes at £2m-£2.5m (n/t) on 16:27 - Jul 24 by itfcjoe

True, but there aren't many players who are playing up at that age any more - Downes may now be too old as his U20 games were the season before.

But he had a decent run interntaionally for someone late coming into the system when it is hard to break through

True, I just don't think he'll actually play for the u-21s and historically that level tends to be more of a proving ground for future international players than the youth sides, and the u-20s is more of a youth side really.

Doesn't really matter as he's clearly a good player, but had he got a couple of u-21 caps under his belt it'd strengthen our case somewhat for holding out for a bigger fee imo.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

CPFC valuation of Flynn Downes at £2m-£2.5m (n/t) on 16:51 - Jul 24 with 748 viewsSteve_M

CPFC valuation of Flynn Downes at £2m-£2.5m (n/t) on 15:53 - Jul 24 by PhilTWTD

I doubt they seriously think they'll get anything like that for him at the moment, he's not shown he's worth that, even more so given the current market situation.

Depends on how much Marcus needs to bring in any cash how much he'd be able to turn down. I thought the £4m recently quoted was about right for the current overall situation, but agree a very good season, the market reinflating and he could be worth a lot more in a year's time.

I'm pretty sure Palace tested the water with an offer in January but not sure how much. Certainly the interest has been strong for some time. I'd be surprised if they thought they could get him for as little as £2m unless they think Town are desperate for cash, as many League One clubs are, of course.

Re Downes, an ex-player with contacts at a Premier League club who were watching him told me they were of the opinion he doesn't do enough to play at that level yet, that he's only involved in a very limited area of the field for the most part.

This post has been edited by an administrator

Similar to the Palace approach for Mings a few years back?

Not surprised clubs don't see Downes as quite ready to step up, good as he was last season he didn't manage enough of the good stuff consistently, hopefully that works out in our favour.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

CPFC valuation of Flynn Downes at £2m-£2.5m (n/t) on 16:56 - Jul 24 with 740 viewsWarkTheWarkITFC

CPFC valuation of Flynn Downes at £2m-£2.5m (n/t) on 16:51 - Jul 24 by Steve_M

Not surprised clubs don't see Downes as quite ready to step up, good as he was last season he didn't manage enough of the good stuff consistently, hopefully that works out in our favour.

I would say though he's not much different to Matt Clarke.

Clarke looked great in League Two (which isn't going to impress many PL clubs) and then in League One for two years. Downes looked okay and then pretty good in the Championship, getting better with age and then looked great in League One. A season less yes, but given the glimpses of what he could do in the Championship a year earlier I'd say if I was taking a punt on Clarke at £3.5m, I'd do the same sort of money for Downes about now.

Poll: How many points from 18 would Lambert need to have to actually be sacked?
Blog: Ipswich Town and the Rotten Kitchen Cupboards

CPFC valuation of Flynn Downes at £2m-£2.5m (n/t) on 16:56 - Jul 24 with 733 viewsHorseboy

CPFC valuation of Flynn Downes at £2m-£2.5m (n/t) on 15:08 - Jul 24 by TheTrueBlue1878

Evans won't even entertain a figure like that.

He will
CPFC valuation of Flynn Downes at £2m-£2.5m (n/t) on 17:02 - Jul 24 with 725 viewsPhilTWTD

CPFC valuation of Flynn Downes at £2m-£2.5m (n/t) on 16:51 - Jul 24 by Steve_M

I'd forgotten that, may well have had a similar thought behind it. I agree with you, the names of players who have gone for big fees from League One have been players who have been very outstanding at this level and I'm not sure we can say that about Downes yet, even if he was probably our best player last season.
CPFC valuation of Flynn Downes at £2m-£2.5m (n/t) on 17:32 - Jul 24 with 689 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

CPFC valuation of Flynn Downes at £2m-£2.5m (n/t) on 15:57 - Jul 24 by Bluefish

Slight issue is player power. If CP are making FD an offer that offer means Premier League and the chance to be financially set up for life.

We can turn it down and refuse but it will create a negative situation with the player and have an impact on other young stars commiting to long deals with us

There has been lots of talk of Andre getting a chance if Flynn goes but I dont see how we are keeping him. He is in the last year with no more options. If he has a successful season with us then we lose him anyway, I just can't see why he would extend his stay here

There comes a point where that is a consideration.

But there are also values where that is not a consideration.

If CP offered £500k for example, then it doesnt even get to the stage of considering FD's financial situation.

The offer has to be acceptable.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

CPFC valuation of Flynn Downes at £2m-£2.5m (n/t) on 18:26 - Jul 24 with 656 viewsWickets

CPFC valuation of Flynn Downes at £2m-£2.5m (n/t) on 15:53 - Jul 24 by PhilTWTD

I doubt they seriously think they'll get anything like that for him at the moment, he's not shown he's worth that, even more so given the current market situation.

Depends on how much Marcus needs to bring in any cash how much he'd be able to turn down. I thought the £4m recently quoted was about right for the current overall situation, but agree a very good season, the market reinflating and he could be worth a lot more in a year's time.

I'm pretty sure Palace tested the water with an offer in January but not sure how much. Certainly the interest has been strong for some time. I'd be surprised if they thought they could get him for as little as £2m unless they think Town are desperate for cash, as many League One clubs are, of course.

Re Downes, an ex-player with contacts at a Premier League club who were watching him told me they were of the opinion he doesn't do enough to play at that level yet, that he's only involved in a very limited area of the field for the most part.

This post has been edited by an administrator

The worry for me is the valuations are not that far apart , if Palace are saying 2.5 they might well pay 3 . We have some form for cashing in and maybe underselling . A lot may rest on the player if he is keen to go we might well sell for around the 3 , hope not but think it is quite possible ? sad to say .
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024