Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Have we suddenly got some young English managers? 23:46 - Aug 4 with 1465 viewscatch74

Hurst was the pick of them not long ago!

Poll: Who are the Numbskulls?

Have we suddenly got some young English managers? on 09:43 - Aug 5 with 1316 viewsLibero

Let's be honest, Hurst was never the pick of them.
Have we suddenly got some young English managers? on 09:47 - Aug 5 with 1304 viewsKeno

If the category is "mangers most likely to rip the heart out of your club, destroy your team and basically leave you more desolate than the Norwich City trophy cabinet" then yes Wurst was the pick of them

Thi in fairness we have had more than our share of managers who could fit that category

Poll: Should Hoppy renew his season ticket
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

Have we suddenly got some young English managers? on 10:01 - Aug 5 with 1288 viewsBryanPlug

[content removed at owner's request]

Poll: What should the status of a turntable lid be when playing records?

Have we suddenly got some young English managers? on 10:11 - Aug 5 with 1273 viewsPendejo

Have we suddenly got some young English managers? on 09:43 - Aug 5 by Libero

No but he was our p(r)ick

uberima fides
Poll: Start a new job tomorrow - which suit?

Have we suddenly got some young English managers? on 12:30 - Aug 5 with 1220 viewscatch74

Have we suddenly got some young English managers? on 09:43 - Aug 5 by Libero

Completely agree - but at the time, I seem to remember there not being many - if any, young English managers in a higher profile position.

Have we suddenly got some young English managers? on 13:38 - Aug 5 with 1165 viewsSwansea_Blue

Have we suddenly got some young English managers? on 12:30 - Aug 5 by catch74

Completely agree - but at the time, I seem to remember there not being many - if any, young English managers in a higher profile position.

Brendan Rodgers is less than 2 years older than Hurst. (I know he's not English, but in terms of home nations managers for comparison).

But yes, the pool has grown a little bit lately as the last crop of senior internationals have moved into management roles. Lampard, Parker, Gerard. even when we were looking at Hurst though, there were the likes of Rowett, Nathan Jones, Neil harris, Monk, Paul clement all knocking around. And all at a higher level than Hurst, who wasn't even close to being the pick of them at that time.
[Post edited 5 Aug 2020 13:38]

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Have we suddenly got some young English managers? on 13:47 - Aug 5 with 1138 viewscatch74

Have we suddenly got some young English managers? on 13:38 - Aug 5 by Swansea_Blue

Brendan Rodgers is less than 2 years older than Hurst. (I know he's not English, but in terms of home nations managers for comparison).

But yes, the pool has grown a little bit lately as the last crop of senior internationals have moved into management roles. Lampard, Parker, Gerard. even when we were looking at Hurst though, there were the likes of Rowett, Nathan Jones, Neil harris, Monk, Paul clement all knocking around. And all at a higher level than Hurst, who wasn't even close to being the pick of them at that time.
[Post edited 5 Aug 2020 13:38]

I think I’ve given Hurst more credit for his age than I should - hadn’t realised that Rowett is more or less the same age (and Rodgers). I think, in explanation - I meant when he’d been appointed at Ipswich - but he then very quickly took us from what should have been a top end championship club to the road to relegation. I was lazily regurgitating some of the press at the time of his appointment.

Have we suddenly got some young English managers? on 13:53 - Aug 5 with 1122 viewsSwansea_Blue

Have we suddenly got some young English managers? on 13:47 - Aug 5 by catch74

I think I’ve given Hurst more credit for his age than I should - hadn’t realised that Rowett is more or less the same age (and Rodgers). I think, in explanation - I meant when he’d been appointed at Ipswich - but he then very quickly took us from what should have been a top end championship club to the road to relegation. I was lazily regurgitating some of the press at the time of his appointment.

He was certainly over-hyped. Although I do remember at least one person on here who knew more about his time at Shrewsbury and warned us that he wasn't a good option. Can't remember who that was now, but they were spot on.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Login to get fewer ads

Have we suddenly got some young English managers? on 14:26 - Aug 5 with 1094 viewspatrickswell

Have we suddenly got some young English managers? on 13:47 - Aug 5 by catch74

Hurst was a good pick at the time. He’d learnt his trade, had had success in non-league, got Grimsby back into the football league and got Shrewsbury to two Wembley finals in a season and 90 minutes from the Championship.

We were a logical next step for him and with a bit of humility and shrewder judgement from him, he could still be here now.

Instead, both of us are damaged goods now. And it will take us a long time to repair what he did to our club.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024