Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Oh - this is just brilliant 08:48 - Aug 6 with 23368 viewshomer_123

Not only are the 50 million masks useless and not fit for purposes but the £252 million pound contract was to Ayanda Capital - and get this:

"It also emerged that the person who originally approached the government about the deal was a government trade adviser who also advises the board of Ayanda.

But he told the BBC his position played no part in the awarding of the contract."

and

"The government has also disclosed that the original approach to sell the masks came not from Ayanda Capital but from a businessman called Andrew Mills.

His company, Prospermill, had secured the rights to the full production capacity of a large factory in China to produce masks and was able to offer a large quantity almost immediately.

But the legal document seen by the BBC notes that Mr Mills requested the government instead sign the contract for the masks with Ayanda Capital, whose board he advises, because it could arrange overseas payment more quickly."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-53672841

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Top response Lagers on 09:11 - Aug 7 with 905 viewsDyland

Arf on 06:36 - Aug 7 by bluelagos

When I worked in the developing world I would be corrected if/when I used the term "3rd world", especially when I worked for NGOs where people are very 'right on'.

3rd world is seen as condescending rather than offensive. 'Developing world' recognises that development is a continum along which every county moves, albeit some have developed faster and some are very much still on that journey.

Given than 'Developing world' also implies a hierarchy of development, I remember Oxfam staff talking about "The south" which is a collective for the developing world, given that there is a north/south global split (Australia / NZ / Japan being the most obvious exceptions)

So yeah, preferable to use 'developing world' imho but on a scale of 1 to 10 in offensiveness, (where the N world is 10, coloured is 5) i'd place '3rd world' at a 2. Not meant to be offensive but there are better terms.

You did ask!

As for the OP, reminds me of a number of corruption/fraud investigations I did in Nigeria. Giving a contract out, without a tender, to your mates and it turns out to be a cr@-p company that delivers sh1te...genuine flashback to an investigation into a marketing dept contracts I did.

Incompetence or corruption? Does it matter? Well if corruption can be proven, then jail term should be the consequence. Chances of that happening? Sfa. The govt ruled that usual tender processes were not required thus a 'get out of jail' card was provided in advance.

So you settle on incompetence and sack a few. Meanwhile someone is sitting pretty on £25-£50m profit and can settle anyone who lost their jobs.

So Dyland, I concur absolutely, as someone who has spent years investigating fraud and corruprion in the developing world, this (assuming the twitter thread is correct) absolutely is the sort of thing you would come across there.

Let's call a spade a spade*, it is corruption by any sensible definition even if it is not actually illegal, for whatever reason.

Actually calling the UK a developed nation compared to any developing nation is a joke, and probably quite offensive to the "third world" :) Delusional and arrogant. We are ruled by chancers and sociopaths who are laughing all the way to the bank.

* for younger readers, this is not offensive, look up the phrase :)

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

Top response Lagers on 09:54 - Aug 7 with 868 viewsbluelagos

Top response Lagers on 09:11 - Aug 7 by Dyland

Let's call a spade a spade*, it is corruption by any sensible definition even if it is not actually illegal, for whatever reason.

Actually calling the UK a developed nation compared to any developing nation is a joke, and probably quite offensive to the "third world" :) Delusional and arrogant. We are ruled by chancers and sociopaths who are laughing all the way to the bank.

* for younger readers, this is not offensive, look up the phrase :)

Many aspects of the developing world put the UK to shame imho.

From recycling, to reusing, to not buying cr*p they don't need. The markets in South America where car parts are laid out on a blanket, from scrapped cars to keep others going,

I remember working in Kenya on market day where the villagers would descend on the town with their excess crops. They would leave with some hard earned money and food they hadn't grown.

Air miles? About 10 on average for as much produce as they could carry onto the bus.

And my favourite - I had a metal clip go on some hiking boots. Went in a cobbler in the UK who wanted 40 quid to source and replace the clip. Took them back to Lagos and a guy welded a bit of metal to hold the lace in place. Looked awful, cost 50p. Job done.

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

I'm gonna move eventually, fook this place in the eye (n/t) on 10:01 - Aug 7 with 861 viewsDyland

Top response Lagers on 09:54 - Aug 7 by bluelagos

From recycling, to reusing, to not buying cr*p they don't need. The markets in South America where car parts are laid out on a blanket, from scrapped cars to keep others going,

I remember working in Kenya on market day where the villagers would descend on the town with their excess crops. They would leave with some hard earned money and food they hadn't grown.

Air miles? About 10 on average for as much produce as they could carry onto the bus.

And my favourite - I had a metal clip go on some hiking boots. Went in a cobbler in the UK who wanted 40 quid to source and replace the clip. Took them back to Lagos and a guy welded a bit of metal to hold the lace in place. Looked awful, cost 50p. Job done.

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

Oh - this is just brilliant on 13:20 - Sep 18 with 530 viewsSwansea_Blue

And here's another one. I suppose there is a chance this is a genuine attempt to provide a first rate service and value for money, but.....

https://bylinetimes.com/2020/09/14/government-awards-122-million-ppe-contract-to

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Top response Lagers on 14:22 - Sep 18 with 495 viewsHARRY10

A couple of decades back my sister was living in Barnes, and her kids went to a 'posh' school. Every summer holidays the mums would have a sort of 'bring and buy' where they sold the outer clothes the kids had outgrown, and bought others that fitted growing kids. The proviso being every item could only be sold for 50p,

The point being that re-use of items is not necessarily driven by financial constraint, but financial 'sense'.

However it should be noted that the clothes were quality and so would last this constant use. However they were not 'labels', where some name is stuck on the outside of Lower quality goods to suggest status.

Similarly there have been/are well merited events to collect and send surplus football kit to African countries - stuff that might well end in landfill.

The importance of the above is not a template for solving the woes of waste, but to point out how much of the waste can be reduced, by seeing examples that benefit all involved.

And in case any one wonders I did not go to a posh school - in fact I only went to school to get something to eat, so am well aware of what it is to be one of the have nots.
Top response Lagers on 14:48 - Sep 18 with 473 viewsClapham_Junction

I really like the Rwandan monthly cleaning/community work day.

https://matadornetwork.com/read/rwanda-community-work-day/
Top response Lagers on 14:53 - Sep 18 with 471 viewsDanTheMan

Top response Lagers on 14:48 - Sep 18 by Clapham_Junction

I really like the Rwandan monthly cleaning/community work day.

https://matadornetwork.com/read/rwanda-community-work-day/

That's really cool, what a great idea.

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

Oh - this is just brilliant on 16:57 - Sep 18 with 449 viewsYou_Bloo_Right

Oh - this is just brilliant on 13:20 - Sep 18 by Swansea_Blue

And here's another one. I suppose there is a chance this is a genuine attempt to provide a first rate service and value for money, but.....

https://bylinetimes.com/2020/09/14/government-awards-122-million-ppe-contract-to

.....It has also emerged that the Government has awarded an estimated £180 million worth of PPE contracts to individuals with links to the Conservative Party.

Well frankly I'm shocked......

..... that it's as "low" a figure as £180 million.

Poll: Are this group of ITFC players the best squad in the division?

Login to get fewer ads

Oh - this is just brilliant on 17:08 - Sep 18 with 441 viewsSwansea_Blue

Oh - this is just brilliant on 16:57 - Sep 18 by You_Bloo_Right

.....It has also emerged that the Government has awarded an estimated £180 million worth of PPE contracts to individuals with links to the Conservative Party.

Well frankly I'm shocked......

..... that it's as "low" a figure as £180 million.

Who'd have guessed that those who campaigned on a ticket of smashing up regulation to allow cronyism would go on to be utterly corrupt. Shocked indeed.

The only person who wouldn't have seen this coming is Dido Harding.
[Post edited 18 Sep 2020 17:10]

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024