Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Now, if we had a man like George Burley in charge I could see a way out of this. 14:30 - Aug 7 with 16423 viewsCoco

Clear route to the first team. Excellent coaching. Clear strategy. Brilliant recruitment.

But we don't.

#SellUpMarcusEvans #LambertOUT // Sent from my iphone - which explains all the felling spuck ups
Poll: When we're finally freed from Mick McCarthy would you like to see Burley as DoF?

Now, if we had a man like George Burley in charge I could see a way out of this. on 14:31 - Aug 7 with 4521 viewsGarv

I'm not anti Burley by any stretch but when was the last time he did any work recruiting footballers? Genuine question.

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

Now, if we had a man like George Burley in charge I could see a way out of this. on 14:33 - Aug 7 with 4512 viewsJ2BLUE

We could have Houdini in charge and still not escape this league.

Someone wearing an ITFC shirt has really pissed the gods off.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Now, if we had a man like George Burley in charge I could see a way out of this. on 14:34 - Aug 7 with 4498 viewsCoco

Now, if we had a man like George Burley in charge I could see a way out of this. on 14:31 - Aug 7 by Garv

I'm not anti Burley by any stretch but when was the last time he did any work recruiting footballers? Genuine question.

a man 'like'. A man who can actually develop young players.

#SellUpMarcusEvans #LambertOUT // Sent from my iphone - which explains all the felling spuck ups
Poll: When we're finally freed from Mick McCarthy would you like to see Burley as DoF?

Now, if we had a man like George Burley in charge I could see a way out of this. on 14:34 - Aug 7 with 4501 viewspositivity

burley only made the leap by making 4 or 5 excellent signings all on decent wages from the dyer money.

even if we sold downes for £100m, we'd only be able to reinvest a few £100k of that into wages. burley's model would be screwed too!

Poll: do you do judo and/or do you do voodoo?

Now, if we had a man like George Burley in charge I could see a way out of this. on 14:36 - Aug 7 with 4486 viewsKeno

Now, if we had a man like George Burley in charge I could see a way out of this. on 14:34 - Aug 7 by positivity

burley only made the leap by making 4 or 5 excellent signings all on decent wages from the dyer money.

even if we sold downes for £100m, we'd only be able to reinvest a few £100k of that into wages. burley's model would be screwed too!

unless we get someone who can take the youths we have a mould them into a team

Poll: Should Hoppy renew his season ticket
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

Now, if we had a man like George Burley in charge I could see a way out of this. on 14:37 - Aug 7 with 4473 viewsLibero

Now, if we had a man like George Burley in charge I could see a way out of this. on 14:31 - Aug 7 by Garv

In England? 2011 at Crystal Palace, he supplemented outstanding young talent like Clyne and Zaha with solid signings, some of whom are still with the club today.

Are you about to trot out the "he's been out of the game too long" line?
Now, if we had a man like George Burley in charge I could see a way out of this. on 14:38 - Aug 7 with 4461 viewspositivity

Now, if we had a man like George Burley in charge I could see a way out of this. on 14:36 - Aug 7 by Keno

unless we get someone who can take the youths we have a mould them into a team

or better still, invest heavily in the academy (we won't be able to spend it on anything else) and attract players that way

Now, if we had a man like George Burley in charge I could see a way out of this. on 14:38 - Aug 7 with 4455 viewsJ2BLUE

Now, if we had a man like George Burley in charge I could see a way out of this. on 14:37 - Aug 7 by Libero

In England? 2011 at Crystal Palace, he supplemented outstanding young talent like Clyne and Zaha with solid signings, some of whom are still with the club today.

To be fair, being in the game really helped Hurst and Lambert.

Truly impaired.

Login to get fewer ads

Now, if we had a man like George Burley in charge I could see a way out of this. on 14:39 - Aug 7 with 4457 viewsCoco

Now, if we had a man like George Burley in charge I could see a way out of this. on 14:34 - Aug 7 by positivity

Burley made brilliant signings year on year.

and I don't know why people think football has become some complex science? Like signing good footballers is so much harder now than it was 20 years ago. The trick is knowing how you want to play and getting players in who can play that way. There are far more footballers in the net now then there has ever been. Burley also knew his flaws and appointed assistants/coaches to fix them.

Now, if we had a man like George Burley in charge I could see a way out of this. on 14:39 - Aug 7 with 4449 viewsLibero

Right here, right now, Burley's the only man for the job.
Tony Mowbray would also be a good fit, but why would he want to come here?

When Lambert is sacked I really, really, really hope they give it to George, let's just hope it happens before we lose all identity as a club.
Now, if we had a man like George Burley in charge I could see a way out of this. on 14:40 - Aug 7 with 4438 viewspositivity

Now, if we had a man like George Burley in charge I could see a way out of this. on 14:37 - Aug 7 by Libero

a massive amount has changed in 10 years. he's been out of the game too long.

we need a 2020 version of george burley, not a manager 20 years past his prime

Now, if we had a man like George Burley in charge I could see a way out of this. on 14:42 - Aug 7 with 4424 viewsLibero

Now, if we had a man like George Burley in charge I could see a way out of this. on 14:40 - Aug 7 by positivity

Go on, tell me some of the factors of managing Ipswich Town Football Club in 2020 that George Burley would be out of step with?

What is he so out of touch with that his candidacy for the role would be rendered void?
[Post edited 7 Aug 2020 14:42]
Now, if we had a man like George Burley in charge I could see a way out of this. on 14:43 - Aug 7 with 4412 viewspositivity

Now, if we had a man like George Burley in charge I could see a way out of this. on 14:39 - Aug 7 by Coco

Burley made brilliant signings year on year.

and I don't know why people think football has become some complex science? Like signing good footballers is so much harder now than it was 20 years ago. The trick is knowing how you want to play and getting players in who can play that way. There are far more footballers in the net now then there has ever been. Burley also knew his flaws and appointed assistants/coaches to fix them.

burley couldn't use his model of improving a team, (which relied heavily on bringing in decent experienced players on decent wages to play alongside talented youth) in 2020 league one

Now, if we had a man like George Burley in charge I could see a way out of this. on 14:43 - Aug 7 with 4404 viewsJ2BLUE

Now, if we had a man like George Burley in charge I could see a way out of this. on 14:39 - Aug 7 by Libero

Right here, right now, Burley's the only man for the job.
Tony Mowbray would also be a good fit, but why would he want to come here?

When Lambert is sacked I really, really, really hope they give it to George, let's just hope it happens before we lose all identity as a club.

What about Dyer?

I'd love to see them as a pair, either way around.

Dyer could bring Bellamy in to teach our strikers to shoot at the big net between the white sticks.

Truly impaired.

Now, if we had a man like George Burley in charge I could see a way out of this. on 14:44 - Aug 7 with 4388 viewsCoco

Now, if we had a man like George Burley in charge I could see a way out of this. on 14:40 - Aug 7 by positivity

The fundamentals are the same. He would drastically improve a third tier Ipswich Town. I would have Burley back I heartbeat! He has far better credentials than Lambert and would lay some real foundations.

Now, if we had a man like George Burley in charge I could see a way out of this. on 14:47 - Aug 7 with 4372 viewspositivity

Now, if we had a man like George Burley in charge I could see a way out of this. on 14:42 - Aug 7 by Libero

Go on, tell me some of the factors of managing Ipswich Town Football Club in 2020 that George Burley would be out of step with?

What is he so out of touch with that his candidacy for the role would be rendered void?
[Post edited 7 Aug 2020 14:42]

in what factors would he be in step with modern football?

a massive amount has changed in 10 years, and his model of buying in experienced players to work with talented youth is not permitted with a salary cap

Now, if we had a man like George Burley in charge I could see a way out of this. on 14:48 - Aug 7 with 4361 viewsLibero

Now, if we had a man like George Burley in charge I could see a way out of this. on 14:43 - Aug 7 by J2BLUE

What about Dyer?

I'd love to see them as a pair, either way around.

Dyer could bring Bellamy in to teach our strikers to shoot at the big net between the white sticks.

Sure, bring Dyer into the fold, but Burley is the man with the experience, we need him, badly.
Now, if we had a man like George Burley in charge I could see a way out of this. on 14:49 - Aug 7 with 4360 viewspositivity

Now, if we had a man like George Burley in charge I could see a way out of this. on 14:44 - Aug 7 by Coco

The fundamentals are the same. He would drastically improve a third tier Ipswich Town. I would have Burley back I heartbeat! He has far better credentials than Lambert and would lay some real foundations.

the fundamentals aren't the same, i'd much rather have a younger version than a yesterday's man.

(that said, i have no faith in lambert either!)

Now, if we had a man like George Burley in charge I could see a way out of this. on 14:49 - Aug 7 with 4352 viewsLibero

Now, if we had a man like George Burley in charge I could see a way out of this. on 14:47 - Aug 7 by positivity

in what factors would he be in step with modern football?

a massive amount has changed in 10 years, and his model of buying in experienced players to work with talented youth is not permitted with a salary cap

Why don't you list some of the factors? it's a pretty straight forward request.

If Burley is that out of touch you must be able to name a few...
Now, if we had a man like George Burley in charge I could see a way out of this. on 14:51 - Aug 7 with 4334 viewsLibero

Now, if we had a man like George Burley in charge I could see a way out of this. on 14:43 - Aug 7 by positivity

burley couldn't use his model of improving a team, (which relied heavily on bringing in decent experienced players on decent wages to play alongside talented youth) in 2020 league one

Sounds like you don't really understand what kind of coach George Burley is.
Now, if we had a man like George Burley in charge I could see a way out of this. on 14:52 - Aug 7 with 4332 viewsBrixtonBlue

I never understand that argument. Like he's forgotten how to manage/coach.

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

Now, if we had a man like George Burley in charge I could see a way out of this. on 14:55 - Aug 7 with 4307 viewsMach_foreignBlue

And got sacked by Palace.
Now, if we had a man like George Burley in charge I could see a way out of this. on 14:56 - Aug 7 with 4290 viewsLibero

Now, if we had a man like George Burley in charge I could see a way out of this. on 14:52 - Aug 7 by BrixtonBlue

I never understand that argument. Like he's forgotten how to manage/coach.

It might be relevant if he was some kind of Dinosaur, but George was a coach first and foremost, he worked with players, improved them as individuals and knew how to piece them together into a team.

George's sides were balanced, contained Academy players, supplemented by solid purchases, Premier League youths that had been released and experienced pros who helped guide the side.

We're losing our identity as a club and are working under more and more restrictions, our one saving grace is the Academy. No Manager coming in would understand the benefits of the Academy as well as George, he has worked with many of it's staff before and has a history wherever he has been of bringing through youth players, he has touched the careers of some of the UK's best players over his career, many of whom are still playing.

To suggest he's out of touch is an absolute LOL.
Now, if we had a man like George Burley in charge I could see a way out of this. on 14:59 - Aug 7 with 4276 viewspositivity

Now, if we had a man like George Burley in charge I could see a way out of this. on 14:49 - Aug 7 by Libero

Why don't you list some of the factors? it's a pretty straight forward request.

If Burley is that out of touch you must be able to name a few...

ok,

salary cap,
modern player mentality,
inability to bring in the magiltons/stewarts/moggas who were so key in getting the team over the line,
tactics,
formations,
marcus evans cf sheepy,
the modern academy structure and it's weighting towards category 1 clubs,
improved coaching quality elsewhere

your turn!

Now, if we had a man like George Burley in charge I could see a way out of this. on 15:01 - Aug 7 with 4259 viewsCoco

Now, if we had a man like George Burley in charge I could see a way out of this. on 14:55 - Aug 7 by Mach_foreignBlue

And got sacked by Palace.

🤷 Pochettino got sacked by Spurs! Wouldn't want him either.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024