Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
It’s not all bad news 16:17 - Aug 18 with 1631 viewsSarge

I don’t know about anyone else but the events of March 23rd and onwards have pulled me back into a depression that I have been largely free of for a number of years. I have no doubt this is as much down to the media’s desperate attempts to sensationalise it as it is the effects of pandemic prevention measures.

So therefore I’m going to try and find some positive news everyday to post in this thread without comment in case there’s anyone else out there like me who’s getting pretty sick of life in its current guise.

The first: Immunity may last longer than first thought!

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/global-health/science-and-disease/optimism-covid-19-
It’s not all bad news on 16:21 - Aug 18 with 1599 viewsJ2BLUE

Great idea. I've actually put some people on ignore who just post constantly negative stuff about the pandemic. I don't need to see it. I have opted out of the news and just check a couple of decent Twitter accounts every few days.

One of which is Professor Karol Sikora (@ProfKarolSikora) who a few on here don't like and I make no judgement on him about anything else but he's helped me cope with the pandemic.

Good luck. Feel free to post anything in this thread if you want to vent etc.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

It’s not all bad news on 16:23 - Aug 18 with 1586 viewshype313

Good stuff, and hope the black cloud lifts soon for you, I've actually knocked all social media on the head, Facebook, Insta and Twitter were doing nothing for me and my screen time was getting out of hand. When my son said "Daddy, can you get off your phone please" was a real wake up call for me, so all were uninstalled.

I've also distanced myself from reading the many news outlets as I was getting hooked into allsorts, especially when Covid first arrived.

Not saying you should btw, not saying it's the panacea by any stretch, but it certainly helped clear my head and my sleep vastly improved.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

It’s not all bad news on 16:26 - Aug 18 with 1575 viewsSteve_M

I tried that the other week and everyone ignored it:

A positive news story for you all by Steve_M 7 Aug 2020 7:54

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-york-north-yorkshire-53687115

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

It’s not all bad news on 16:30 - Aug 18 with 1559 viewsBlueBadger

7 months 'trapped' in Papworth through a pandemic awaiting a heart transplant..

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-england-cambridgeshire-53784370/heart-transplan

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What would be the funniest relegation on Saturday
Blog: From Despair to Where?

It’s not all bad news on 17:49 - Aug 18 with 1478 viewsSarge

It’s not all bad news on 16:21 - Aug 18 by J2BLUE

Great idea. I've actually put some people on ignore who just post constantly negative stuff about the pandemic. I don't need to see it. I have opted out of the news and just check a couple of decent Twitter accounts every few days.

One of which is Professor Karol Sikora (@ProfKarolSikora) who a few on here don't like and I make no judgement on him about anything else but he's helped me cope with the pandemic.

Cheers, I’m fortunate in that I have an incredible girlfriend who has listened to me vent, rant or otherwise ramble nonsensically so I can spare you all the same! In an ideal world I’d like to move with her to Sweden and let Prof Sikora deal with everything else. I haven’t done any research to validate what he says but I’ve no reason to disagree and I want him to be right more than anyone!
It’s not all bad news on 17:54 - Aug 18 with 1466 viewsRyorry

It’s not all bad news on 16:26 - Aug 18 by Steve_M

I tried that the other week and everyone ignored it:

A positive news story for you all by Steve_M 7 Aug 2020 7:54

Replied on wrong thread, sorry!

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

It’s not all bad news on 17:58 - Aug 18 with 1458 viewsRyorry

It’s not all bad news on 16:21 - Aug 18 by J2BLUE

Glad you've re-tried Twitter, it does have its uses.

I pretty much stopped listening to all news & discussion of Covid_19 except for the 10pm news on either BBC or ITV, from mid-March on. That alone gave me a more positive feeling about life (admittedly a lot easier when you're living in deep, beautiful countryside, have a large garden & are retired).

It’s not all bad news on 13:13 - Aug 19 with 1343 viewsSteve_M

There's even a fire engine picture to accompany this one:

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Login to get fewer ads

It’s not all bad news on 14:55 - Aug 19 with 1283 viewsSarge

Today’s good COVID news: Number of fatalities continuing to fall in UK even as number of cases slightly increases over the last month. Possibly as a result of more testing catching more cases, possibly a result of better understanding on how to treat, I don’t know.

https://www.ons.gov.uk/chartimage?uri=/peoplepopulationandcommunity/birthsdeaths
It’s not all bad news on 17:31 - Aug 19 with 1216 viewsJ2BLUE

It’s not all bad news on 17:58 - Aug 18 by Ryorry

Glad you've re-tried Twitter, it does have its uses.

I pretty much stopped listening to all news & discussion of Covid_19 except for the 10pm news on either BBC or ITV, from mid-March on. That alone gave me a more positive feeling about life (admittedly a lot easier when you're living in deep, beautiful countryside, have a large garden & are retired).

I maintain that is social cancer and 95% on there are attention seeking drama queens but there are a few accounts which are very good. The sad thing is the 95% are unavoidable as even the good accounts find themselves attacked by idiots looking to make a name for themselves.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

It’s not all bad news on 17:54 - Aug 19 with 1187 viewsipswichtillidie

It’s not all bad news on 13:13 - Aug 19 by Steve_M

There's even a fire engine picture to accompany this one:

Nice gesture Jim and the boys @ HH

Gav

It’s not all bad news on 19:16 - Aug 19 with 1120 viewsRyorry

It’s not all bad news on 17:31 - Aug 19 by J2BLUE

I maintain that is social cancer and 95% on there are attention seeking drama queens but there are a few accounts which are very good. The sad thing is the 95% are unavoidable as even the good accounts find themselves attacked by idiots looking to make a name for themselves.

How many are you following? I think the problem may be that it's hard for many to get going because they don't know who to follow that's decent, so inevitably they end up seeing mostly bad ones.

Over 8-9 years I've built up a core of over 800 solid accounts to follow, which pretty much fills up my timeline to the extent where there's little room for others. The threads you do see when you follow that many are usually going to be dominated by decent people, so when you either follow them or they follow you, you'll see "also followed by X Y Z and 20 others you follow" which means they're OK, or those 20 others would have given them the boot.

A good way to build up is just reading hashtags you're interested in, or interest accounts with v. large followings focussed on science, photos from around the world, @StormHour great for that; @SimonsCat makes me laugh!

Edit - forgot to say just block the idiots! A 2-way thing on there as they can't see your posts as well as you not seeing theirs - ace for shutting out any persistently abusive accounts.
[Post edited 19 Aug 2020 20:51]

It’s not all bad news on 20:57 - Aug 23 with 953 viewsSarge

Been difficult to find good news on a daily basis but here’s s’more

Apologies, it’s from The Mirror

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/coronavirus-getting-less-angry-shouldnt-22
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024