Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Are expecting more transfers? 09:13 - Aug 22 with 1533 viewsFartman

Are we happy with our squad as it is? Our are we expecting any new arrivals before the window closes?

Goalies sorted
Full backs sorted
Center backs sorted, though in a perfect world I would have sold both Wilson and Nsiala, maybe reqruited Pennington. Hopefully big Toto recovers from his erratic form and acts like a new signing. Chambers isn’t getting younger.
Central mids sorted. Hopefully Idris will break into the side from the start, Skuse only a bit player.
Left wingers sorted. Edwards needs to play on the left, when selected. Will drift in, and leave room for the full back. Is Ward fit enough? Others like Sears and Dobra could fill the role as well.
Right wingers needed. We can’t rely on Lankester as he’s been away to long. We need cover, and I don’t want to se us wasting Idris, Bishop, Edwards as backup, but the cap might make it the only option for us.
Strikers sorted. Would understand it if Norwood left because of his salary. But a replacement has to get in before a loan deal/sale can be done. Would be great to see the impact of a fullt fit Norwood in L1!

The cap limits our options, so we need to move some players on. Might we see some high earners move on and not being replaced? By the contract extentions made this summer, I really don’t see who.

"Success is not final; failure is not fatal: It is the courage to continue that counts." -- Winston S. Churchill

Are expecting more transfers? on 09:35 - Aug 22 with 1484 viewsxrayspecs

The salary cap massively restricts what we can do. We are likely to be pretty much maxed out on salaries already, so could not offer the sort of money that would entice established pros or those who are upwardly mobile to the club. We would be financially out muscled by Championship clubs.

Even if we let our top earner leave, we would only be able to offer around £100k per annum to a new signing due to how the cap operates.

So while another addition is possible, it is going to be from the bargain basement, as per the three we have already signed.

EDIT: should have also mentioned that we can only have 22 players older than 21 in our squad. We currently have 24 (including Cotter, Wright and Drinnan), so I suspect we would need to ship some players out first to create space.
[Post edited 22 Aug 2020 9:42]
Are expecting more transfers? on 09:38 - Aug 22 with 1477 viewsIpswichBoyBlue

I would like to see us bring in a "hard man" in center midfield. Other than that, yes, think we are stronger than last season and should be top 2 if Lambert can decide who and which way to play.
Are expecting more transfers? on 09:42 - Aug 22 with 1456 viewsxrayspecs

Are expecting more transfers? on 09:38 - Aug 22 by IpswichBoyBlue

I would like to see us bring in a "hard man" in center midfield. Other than that, yes, think we are stronger than last season and should be top 2 if Lambert can decide who and which way to play.

Is that not Downes, Huws is no mug either?
Are expecting more transfers? on 09:45 - Aug 22 with 1445 viewsIpswichBoyBlue

Are expecting more transfers? on 09:42 - Aug 22 by xrayspecs

In a 3, not sure. Would like to see a hold up player in the center of the 3 to protect our weakest point.
Are expecting more transfers? on 10:27 - Aug 22 with 1358 viewsChocorange

Are expecting more transfers? on 09:42 - Aug 22 by xrayspecs

Agree with both of these 2 choices but will Downes and will Huws stay fit?

For me defence is the weak point , Vincent young great, hope he stays fit.

Central defence Chambers is only going to get worse as he gets older.
Toto and Wilson , both have a rick in them, and if we’d are to play passing football Wilson just can’t , all I see from him is misplaced passes ball going to opposition or out of play.
Both these 2 need to go to help the salary cap problem and free up space for a loan defender from the Prem.

Is it right loan players don’t get counted in the salary cap if they are under 21...
If so And if Norwood goes and a young striker comes in , that helps.
It could also mean 4 or 5 top quality young prem league loans if Evans wants to invest
Are expecting more transfers? on 10:37 - Aug 22 with 1332 viewsxrayspecs

Are expecting more transfers? on 10:27 - Aug 22 by Chocorange

Agree with both of these 2 choices but will Downes and will Huws stay fit?

For me defence is the weak point , Vincent young great, hope he stays fit.

Central defence Chambers is only going to get worse as he gets older.
Toto and Wilson , both have a rick in them, and if we’d are to play passing football Wilson just can’t , all I see from him is misplaced passes ball going to opposition or out of play.
Both these 2 need to go to help the salary cap problem and free up space for a loan defender from the Prem.

Is it right loan players don’t get counted in the salary cap if they are under 21...
If so And if Norwood goes and a young striker comes in , that helps.
It could also mean 4 or 5 top quality young prem league loans if Evans wants to invest

Not sure about the loan situation, we were discussing it the other day on here. The salary cap wording is not that clear. It refers to player expenses and includes things like agent fees, bonuses, image rights etc. I have interpreted this to include loan fees and wages paid to loanees although others think loan fees (like transfer fees) are not included, so a potential loop hole. We pay a significant loan fee (which does not count for salary cap purposes) and the host club continue to pay the players wages?

Not sure we need under-21s from other clubs. We have plenty of promising youngsters of our own.

Agree with you about the defence looking suspect. Ward may help to an extent and good to get KVY back, we do though lack cover and Chambers, Toto and Wilson do not inspire confidence and have not for some time.
Are expecting more transfers? on 10:44 - Aug 22 with 1305 viewsFartman

Are expecting more transfers? on 09:35 - Aug 22 by xrayspecs

The salary cap massively restricts what we can do. We are likely to be pretty much maxed out on salaries already, so could not offer the sort of money that would entice established pros or those who are upwardly mobile to the club. We would be financially out muscled by Championship clubs.

Even if we let our top earner leave, we would only be able to offer around £100k per annum to a new signing due to how the cap operates.

So while another addition is possible, it is going to be from the bargain basement, as per the three we have already signed.

EDIT: should have also mentioned that we can only have 22 players older than 21 in our squad. We currently have 24 (including Cotter, Wright and Drinnan), so I suspect we would need to ship some players out first to create space.
[Post edited 22 Aug 2020 9:42]

Yeah, or could we lure a buzy winger from one of the top clubs. Having in mind the great reference Chalobah gave us on his loan move to Lorient. I guess many of these players needs to be sent out of their comfortable nest, in order to develop and push for their representative first team squad.

Cotter may be given a free transfer or a year on loan to see if he comes good/grows up.
Wright will be shipped out on loan.
Drinan could be our joker, let us see how his preseason pans out. He can’t be earning that much, and as sign-on fees is a part of the cap. It’s making it more attractive to keep our own, Unless we can get in a first teamer for pennies.

"Success is not final; failure is not fatal: It is the courage to continue that counts." -- Winston S. Churchill

Are expecting more transfers? on 10:47 - Aug 22 with 1293 viewsSomethingBlue

A winger please. Don't mind which side and it can be a raw-ish bench option. But someone with a bit of pace and directness. Then we're done as long as Norwood or Jackson don't leave.

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

Login to get fewer ads

Are expecting more transfers? on 10:57 - Aug 22 with 1251 viewshype313

This squad has more than enough to get out of this league, the question is does the manager have the minerals to get the best out of it.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Are expecting more transfers? on 11:01 - Aug 22 with 1231 viewsFartman

Are expecting more transfers? on 09:45 - Aug 22 by IpswichBoyBlue

In a 3, not sure. Would like to see a hold up player in the center of the 3 to protect our weakest point.

Would need to sell to be able to free up salary for a combative midfielder. We have a lot of the, but an overweight of the are attack minded ones. Skuse and Downes will be fighting for the role I guess.

Are expecting more transfers? on 11:08 - Aug 22 with 1202 viewsIpswichBoyBlue

Are expecting more transfers? on 11:01 - Aug 22 by Fartman

Would need to sell to be able to free up salary for a combative midfielder. We have a lot of the, but an overweight of the are attack minded ones. Skuse and Downes will be fighting for the role I guess.

I guess, but our defence id our weakest link, so would like a proper stopper in there to protect them. Not easy to find, but we have every other area covered. We only need an injury or 2 and we are exposed. We had a good enough defensive record last term, but think that was down to luck and poor finishing on our oppositions account. Don't care if he can't play nice balls out of defence as long as he can tackle.
Are expecting more transfers? on 16:55 - Aug 22 with 994 viewsChocorange

Are expecting more transfers? on 10:37 - Aug 22 by xrayspecs

Not sure about the loan situation, we were discussing it the other day on here. The salary cap wording is not that clear. It refers to player expenses and includes things like agent fees, bonuses, image rights etc. I have interpreted this to include loan fees and wages paid to loanees although others think loan fees (like transfer fees) are not included, so a potential loop hole. We pay a significant loan fee (which does not count for salary cap purposes) and the host club continue to pay the players wages?

Not sure we need under-21s from other clubs. We have plenty of promising youngsters of our own.

Agree with you about the defence looking suspect. Ward may help to an extent and good to get KVY back, we do though lack cover and Chambers, Toto and Wilson do not inspire confidence and have not for some time.

My thinking on young loanees was that if under 21 , even if we paid some of their wages it wouldn’t count in the salary cap calculation as under age.
Ones that can contribute at first team level, such as Maitland Niles Celina, Chalobah Townsend , Carter Vickers etc .

As for our kids , I hope they do make it , but based on the kids we have seen in the last 5 or so years , when they’ve played in the cup we lose and not many have made it here or elsewhere ... many fans seem to overrate them, just cos they are our kids.

The wage cap means we have to find a way to help ourselves and if this is 2/3 top kids in on loan, to get us out of league 1: then that is ok with me.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024