Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
thoughts on start 09:04 - Sep 21 with 3637 viewsDyland

Very pleased for each of Bish, Dozzers and Nolan. Long may this continue.

A few of us said after Downes' debut at Loftus Road that a midfield trio of him Bish and Doz was an enticing prospect, if it ever had a chance, and with some luck etc. Nolan fills the gap pretty well and I'm over the moon he has got off to a cracking start, even though I think Downes would be even better in that trio. One can have both thoughts simultaneously, which brings me to Lambert.

Long long long may he continue with a settled side, injuries notwithstanding. You CAN be cautiously optimistic, even excited at the start, and still skeptical or even cynical about our management team. Time will tell. I don't give a fook if we storm the league by complete fluke with the stars aligning and forcing Lambert's hand, or if he has a coherent plan after all and becomes a tactical genius, or whatever. We need to get promoted this season and who cares how it happens.

On the same point, this league is dog sh1t. Arguing about the relative strengths or weaknesses of the oppo is fun and part and parcel of the debate, but let's not get all bitchy over it. We are Ipswich Town ffs. What the holy fook are we doing in this fooking league. Yeh yeh I know Sunderland and others in the recent past have all said the same. So what? They are right, as well as us. History and tradition and whatever is important in sport, especially football in England. And there's no point playing the game or supporting a team if you have no ambition.

COYFB

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

thoughts on start on 11:06 - Sep 21 with 592 viewsRyorry

thoughts on start on 10:54 - Sep 21 by LankHenners

Yeah, not overly convincing so far but you can't scoff at 2 league wins out of 2. It's natural to have some caution given the standard of the teams we've played and that we started last season slapping teams aside before it all fell apart but the difference, as has been pointed out, is that we're creating more and getting more shots away rather than having 4 chances and scoring 3 of them like last time.

If Lambert keeps the team as it is we should have more than enough to go up even without being totally convincing (the long term worry is that bundling ourselves up due to just being stronger than everyone else is that we'll get walloped every week if we do get promoted). I still don't have much faith in him making us properly good but hopefully he'll do enough.

The main concern for me at the moment is up front. It's good that the midfield (Nolan in particular) and wide players are chipping in more but it's not that sustainable and we need someone up there who will reliably finish chances. A shame Drinan got injured as his hold-up and link-up play was looking tidy but a big ask to expect him to be a big contributor to goals in his first full season playing regularly. Norwood looks a bit uncomfortable in the lone striker role and Hawkins is still a bit of an unknown and doesn't have the greatest scoring record. Jackson the most dangerous but who knows what's happening with him and also doesn't suit the lone striker role. Hopefully between them they'll manage but still a question mark there for me.

Sears not an option for you then??

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

thoughts on start on 11:08 - Sep 21 with 595 viewsDyland

thoughts on start on 10:54 - Sep 21 by LankHenners

Yeah, not overly convincing so far but you can't scoff at 2 league wins out of 2. It's natural to have some caution given the standard of the teams we've played and that we started last season slapping teams aside before it all fell apart but the difference, as has been pointed out, is that we're creating more and getting more shots away rather than having 4 chances and scoring 3 of them like last time.

If Lambert keeps the team as it is we should have more than enough to go up even without being totally convincing (the long term worry is that bundling ourselves up due to just being stronger than everyone else is that we'll get walloped every week if we do get promoted). I still don't have much faith in him making us properly good but hopefully he'll do enough.

The main concern for me at the moment is up front. It's good that the midfield (Nolan in particular) and wide players are chipping in more but it's not that sustainable and we need someone up there who will reliably finish chances. A shame Drinan got injured as his hold-up and link-up play was looking tidy but a big ask to expect him to be a big contributor to goals in his first full season playing regularly. Norwood looks a bit uncomfortable in the lone striker role and Hawkins is still a bit of an unknown and doesn't have the greatest scoring record. Jackson the most dangerous but who knows what's happening with him and also doesn't suit the lone striker role. Hopefully between them they'll manage but still a question mark there for me.

There's also a concern at the back. Ward was an astute signing though and our first choice full backs are decent for this league, and could probably do a job in the second tier. I know Chambers gets stick and he is pretty prosaic at right back, but still does a quite adequate job across the two positions. As usual, we will be at the whim of injuries. Then, most clubs are.

thoughts on start on 11:13 - Sep 21 with 577 viewsIpswichKnight

thoughts on start on 11:08 - Sep 21 by Dyland

There's also a concern at the back. Ward was an astute signing though and our first choice full backs are decent for this league, and could probably do a job in the second tier. I know Chambers gets stick and he is pretty prosaic at right back, but still does a quite adequate job across the two positions. As usual, we will be at the whim of injuries. Then, most clubs are.

Our backline has been a very pleasant surprise this season, Nsiala looks a different player to one I saw last season and long may that continue, Wilson was never as bad as many made out he is an A-typical league one defender he will win headers and tackles but is not going to ping many 30 yard crossfield balls with his wrong foot! He is a very adequate back up for a few games while we have injuries. The Ward signing has so far been fabulous for us he's brought another wise head into the team he does not do anything too flashy just the basics very very well.
thoughts on start on 11:17 - Sep 21 with 575 viewsDyland

thoughts on start on 11:13 - Sep 21 by IpswichKnight

Our backline has been a very pleasant surprise this season, Nsiala looks a different player to one I saw last season and long may that continue, Wilson was never as bad as many made out he is an A-typical league one defender he will win headers and tackles but is not going to ping many 30 yard crossfield balls with his wrong foot! He is a very adequate back up for a few games while we have injuries. The Ward signing has so far been fabulous for us he's brought another wise head into the team he does not do anything too flashy just the basics very very well.

That's fair. Good point about Nsiala, another like Nolan who must thrive on confidence (who doesn't). Dare I say they may be a bit fragile mentally and suffer a little in front of the home crowd? Nerves perhaps. And I am categorically not blaming our fans for our slide down the sh1tty ladder :) However maybe some psychology support is needed. I have no idea what if anything we do in that department.

thoughts on start on 11:35 - Sep 21 with 561 viewsLankHenners

thoughts on start on 11:06 - Sep 21 by Ryorry

Sears not an option for you then??

It's pretty clear he's staying put as a wide player which suits him far more than through the middle on his own.

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.
Poll: What is Celina's problem?

thoughts on start on 11:38 - Sep 21 with 555 viewsLankHenners

thoughts on start on 11:08 - Sep 21 by Dyland

Yes, Ward was a great one as he's clearly competent enough to do well there plus takes some of the leadership responsibility off Chambers' shoulders. Agree we are a bit light there - Chambers in the twilight of his career, Wilson really only an adequate league 1 player and getting on, Toto's having a mini renaissance but time will tell if he can become dependably solid week-in week-out, Woolfenden the clear pick of the bunch but could interest other clubs if his growth continues. Should have enough to take us through this season but medium to long term is a bit of a worry.

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.
Poll: What is Celina's problem?

thoughts on start on 11:57 - Sep 21 with 529 viewsTangledupin_Blue

thoughts on start on 09:24 - Sep 21 by itfcjoe

Ultimately you can only beat what is put in front of you - we have comfotably beaten Bristol Rovers twice now, Rovers went to Sunderland and got a point after leading for 80 minutes, and Sunderland subsequently went to promotion favourite Oxford and beat them comfortably.

I was one last year that felt our good start was built on sand somewhat, but was hoping that it would give us such a good platform we couldn't mess it up from there as things started to click. Ultimately we weren't very good at the start of lats season and nowhere near what our record showed on any of the main metrics - shots, xG, etc.

That is a different story so far this season, we are just not being as clinical as you'd hope to be currently - but it is much better to be a side vreating chances and not taking them, than it is scoring low probablity goals and then holding on for wins which was the case in our good run

Agree with all of that.

Would also give some credit to Lambert. Team selections and tactics have been good with a group of players whose confidence must still be brittle. Saturday's substitutions were timely and effective.

An encouraging start but there are stiffer tests to come.

MIGA

Poll: Which Two Will Gain Automatic Promotion?

thoughts on start on 12:18 - Sep 21 with 510 viewsIpswichKnight

thoughts on start on 11:38 - Sep 21 by LankHenners

Yes, Ward was a great one as he's clearly competent enough to do well there plus takes some of the leadership responsibility off Chambers' shoulders. Agree we are a bit light there - Chambers in the twilight of his career, Wilson really only an adequate league 1 player and getting on, Toto's having a mini renaissance but time will tell if he can become dependably solid week-in week-out, Woolfenden the clear pick of the bunch but could interest other clubs if his growth continues. Should have enough to take us through this season but medium to long term is a bit of a worry.

It is a longer term worry, especially at full backs as we've only got KVY who Lambert trusts as a proper full back. Ndaba looks like he had stepped up as well until he got injured which was again another pleasant surprise. We would have to recruit heavily in the summer next season regardless of which league we are in, I can't see Ward or Chambers playing big parts in the Championship and we'd probably look to ease them out over the course of a season in League one. If Cap space permitting we'd surely have to look for a Left back at some point if Lambert really doesn't rate Kenlock.

Did I catch it right at the end of the last EADT podcast last week Stuart Watson was implying that we might be looking at recruiting a striker and centre half ( not heard the latest one yet mind )
Login to get fewer ads

thoughts on start on 12:36 - Sep 21 with 497 viewsChrisd

thoughts on start on 12:18 - Sep 21 by IpswichKnight

It is a longer term worry, especially at full backs as we've only got KVY who Lambert trusts as a proper full back. Ndaba looks like he had stepped up as well until he got injured which was again another pleasant surprise. We would have to recruit heavily in the summer next season regardless of which league we are in, I can't see Ward or Chambers playing big parts in the Championship and we'd probably look to ease them out over the course of a season in League one. If Cap space permitting we'd surely have to look for a Left back at some point if Lambert really doesn't rate Kenlock.

Did I catch it right at the end of the last EADT podcast last week Stuart Watson was implying that we might be looking at recruiting a striker and centre half ( not heard the latest one yet mind )

Lets get up first before worrying about next season. However, I do agree we'd need to make loads of recruitments to make us even competitive. KVY worries me. He's been out for so long and now sustained another injury. Achilles injuries aren't the most straightforward, I do wonder if we won't see him for the majority of this campaign too? Thankfully, Chambers has done a very decent job at RB so far, but can he play for a full season there? We lack an attacking threat when Donacien plays, it just seems unnatural for him to get into that final third.
[Post edited 21 Sep 2020 12:52]

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

thoughts on start on 13:30 - Sep 21 with 457 viewsTerry_Nutkins

thoughts on start on 10:00 - Sep 21 by StokieBlue

Lankester has surely already shown he could "kick-on" before his injury. He was ahead of all the players listed except perhaps Downes and looked good coming on Saturday.

SB

Yes absolutely on Lankaster. I should have made that clearer that I mean for him post injury. 2 years is a long time. He can't simply be that player we saw straight away I wouldn't have thought but he has a bit of time because we are playing well. Easier to come into a winning and settled side.

Post Christmas he can really be pushing for a place.

Poll: Genuine answers please on what you would choose next season!

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024