Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Anybody following Somerset v Essex? 12:08 - Sep 24 with 3065 viewsgainsboroughblue

Somerset 206-5 at the moment. Seems like decent batting conditions at the moment and still unsure what a good total is. Essex may be feeling the pressure here though, especially looking at the bowling averages of that Somerset attack.

Poll: Favourite Norwich Relegation?

Anybody following Somerset v Essex? on 12:43 - Sep 24 with 1727 viewshampstead_blue

Overton was stone dead.....missing leg and off but smashing middle stump!

The other lad looks very tidy and compact. I like his positivity.

Assumption is to make an ass out of you and me. Those who assume they know you, when they don't are just guessing. Those who assume and insist they know are daft and in denial. Those who assume, insist, and deny the truth are plain stupid. Those who assume, insist, deny the truth and tell YOU they know you (when they don't) have an IQ in the range of 35-49.
Poll: Best Blackpool goal

Anybody following Somerset v Essex? on 12:48 - Sep 24 with 1717 viewsgainsboroughblue

Anybody following Somerset v Essex? on 12:43 - Sep 24 by hampstead_blue

Overton was stone dead.....missing leg and off but smashing middle stump!

The other lad looks very tidy and compact. I like his positivity.

I think if a review system was in place, Somerset would have been 7 down at lunch.

This partnership looks a bit ominous. Porter, Cook and Harmer are the obvious stand outs but there doesn't seem a lot in the attack beyond that. Lunch has come at the right time for Essex. I make Somerset slight favourites at the moment.
[Post edited 24 Sep 2020 12:49]

Anybody following Somerset v Essex? on 13:00 - Sep 24 with 1703 viewshampstead_blue

Anybody following Somerset v Essex? on 12:48 - Sep 24 by gainsboroughblue

I think if a review system was in place, Somerset would have been 7 down at lunch.

This partnership looks a bit ominous. Porter, Cook and Harmer are the obvious stand outs but there doesn't seem a lot in the attack beyond that. Lunch has come at the right time for Essex. I make Somerset slight favourites at the moment.
[Post edited 24 Sep 2020 12:49]

Essex's attack needs swing and/or spin.

Porter had a brief time with England but they quickly figured him out, not as quickly as they sussed Napier though.

Porter will be an awesome County level bowler but doesn't have a plan B with any serious effect.
Napier had no ticker btw. Didn't like the short quick stuff. That was from one of the other players in the team at the time.

I fear that Overton has a plan B but apart from that the two sides are well matched. Both full of talent.

Going to be a cracking game.

Assumption is to make an ass out of you and me. Those who assume they know you, when they don't are just guessing. Those who assume and insist they know are daft and in denial. Those who assume, insist, and deny the truth are plain stupid. Those who assume, insist, deny the truth and tell YOU they know you (when they don't) have an IQ in the range of 35-49.

Anybody following Somerset v Essex? on 13:13 - Sep 24 with 1689 viewsChrisd

Somerset's strength is their bowling and I think our weakness is our batting, need a big knock from Cook. The next 3 days the forecast is set fair, so they'll probably try and bat for the rest of the day. If it ends in a draw, the team with the highest first innings wins the match provided both have posted a total.

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

Anybody following Somerset v Essex? on 13:20 - Sep 24 with 1680 viewsChrisd

Anybody following Somerset v Essex? on 13:00 - Sep 24 by hampstead_blue

Porter had a brief time with England but they quickly figured him out, not as quickly as they sussed Napier though.

Porter will be an awesome County level bowler but doesn't have a plan B with any serious effect.
Napier had no ticker btw. Didn't like the short quick stuff. That was from one of the other players in the team at the time.

I fear that Overton has a plan B but apart from that the two sides are well matched. Both full of talent.

To be fair, Napier was very much a one day player and could bowl high 80s touching 90mph. As you say, Porter needs a bit of help from the conditions or the pitch for his bowling to be really effective as he isn't express pace, nonetheless still a very decent bowler. Harmer is the key man for Essex. These two sides are the best in the county game over 4 days, but I would say Somerset are very much in the driving seat now.
[Post edited 24 Sep 2020 13:34]

Anybody following Somerset v Essex? on 13:25 - Sep 24 with 1670 viewsSharkey

Anybody following Somerset v Essex? on 13:00 - Sep 24 by hampstead_blue

"Porter had a brief time with England but they quickly figured him out". You mean England Lions, I suppose?

He 'will be' an awesome county bowler? He already is, surely. I can't think of any other English bowler so young who has been a Wisden Cricketer of the Year purely on the basis of Championship cricket.
Anybody following Somerset v Essex? on 13:35 - Sep 24 with 1657 viewsSteve_M

Quite breezy out with the threat of showers around. Not too cold for the fielders yet either.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Anybody following Somerset v Essex? on 14:06 - Sep 24 with 1640 viewsitfcjoe

Anybody following Somerset v Essex? on 13:20 - Sep 24 by Chrisd

To be fair, Napier was very much a one day player and could bowl high 80s touching 90mph. As you say, Porter needs a bit of help from the conditions or the pitch for his bowling to be really effective as he isn't express pace, nonetheless still a very decent bowler. Harmer is the key man for Essex. These two sides are the best in the county game over 4 days, but I would say Somerset are very much in the driving seat now.
[Post edited 24 Sep 2020 13:34]

Was a big toss to win, if either side batted and got 350 on the board, which Somerset look like they will do, then they were likely going to take the trophy

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Login to get fewer ads

Anybody following Somerset v Essex? on 14:27 - Sep 24 with 1629 viewsSharkey

Anybody following Somerset v Essex? on 14:06 - Sep 24 by itfcjoe

Was a big toss to win, if either side batted and got 350 on the board, which Somerset look like they will do, then they were likely going to take the trophy

Essex won the toss.
Anybody following Somerset v Essex? on 14:28 - Sep 24 with 1627 viewsitfcjoe

Anybody following Somerset v Essex? on 14:27 - Sep 24 by Sharkey

Essex won the toss.

Hadn't realised that, you'd have thought they'd have wanted to get Harmer in the 4th innings and given Cook a platform

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Anybody following Somerset v Essex? on 15:41 - Sep 24 with 1597 viewsChrisd

Anybody following Somerset v Essex? on 14:06 - Sep 24 by itfcjoe

Do you know Joe, I can see this being turned into a one innings match. If I was Somerset, I'd carry on batting deep into tomorrow (if they can) and pile on the runs and give Essex the last 2 days to see if they can chase that total down. The ECB have certainly given the game a chance of a result by adding that extra day.

Anybody following Somerset v Essex? on 15:48 - Sep 24 with 1584 viewshampstead_blue

Anybody following Somerset v Essex? on 15:41 - Sep 24 by Chrisd

Do you know Joe, I can see this being turned into a one innings match. If I was Somerset, I'd carry on batting deep into tomorrow (if they can) and pile on the runs and give Essex the last 2 days to see if they can chase that total down. The ECB have certainly given the game a chance of a result by adding that extra day.

There is a cap on the # of overs you can bat in the 1st innings. I think it's 120. New ball at 90 instead of 80.

I agree with most of what's been said. The two best teams.

Cook is the key....however, you wait and see Browne get his highest score or something random and unexpected.
Wheater has been in good nick with the bat as well.

A friend of mine is scoring at Lords. He's been crowing and rubbing it in for a while. Damn I'd love to be there.

Anybody following Somerset v Essex? on 16:05 - Sep 24 with 1573 viewsChrisd

Anybody following Somerset v Essex? on 15:48 - Sep 24 by hampstead_blue

There is a cap on the # of overs you can bat in the 1st innings. I think it's 120. New ball at 90 instead of 80.

I agree with most of what's been said. The two best teams.

Cook is the key....however, you wait and see Browne get his highest score or something random and unexpected.
Wheater has been in good nick with the bat as well.

A friend of mine is scoring at Lords. He's been crowing and rubbing it in for a while. Damn I'd love to be there.

Spot on Hampstead blue, so they've got 36 overs to get as many runs as they can before declaring. The onus is then is on Essex to match that score or even supersede it. If they can it won't leave that much time left in the game, although the forecast is meant to be a little better over the remain days. It will be interesting to see what develops, but Essex's batting worries me, it's certainly their weakest facet this season. Step forward chef!!!

Your mate is a lucky s0d, how did he manage to get that gig?

Anybody following Somerset v Essex? on 17:02 - Sep 24 with 1556 viewshampstead_blue

2 wickets with the new ball.....270-7....moving on

Anybody following Somerset v Essex? on 17:20 - Sep 24 with 1545 viewsChrisd

Anybody following Somerset v Essex? on 17:02 - Sep 24 by hampstead_blue

2 wickets with the new ball.....270-7....moving on

281-8. The new ball is having an impact.

Anybody following Somerset v Essex? on 17:48 - Sep 24 with 1536 viewshampstead_blue

Anybody following Somerset v Essex? on 17:20 - Sep 24 by Chrisd

281-8. The new ball is having an impact.

All out.....Harmer 2 in 2.....

Anybody following Somerset v Essex? on 10:04 - Sep 25 with 1458 viewsChrisd

Interesting stat posted by an Essex fan on Twitter last night, we haven't posted a total higher than 298 in the Bob Willis Trophy this season.

Anybody following Somerset v Essex? on 10:24 - Sep 25 with 1445 viewsgainsboroughblue

Anybody following Somerset v Essex? on 10:04 - Sep 25 by Chrisd

Interesting stat posted by an Essex fan on Twitter last night, we haven't posted a total higher than 298 in the Bob Willis Trophy this season.

Doesn't bode well, though to be fair, we were 250 plus for 3 in a game that was rained off.

Anybody following Somerset v Essex? on 10:31 - Sep 25 with 1438 viewsbournemouthblue

Somerset 301 all out, which is probably a decent score given the conditions which Essex are going to be dealing with

The first innings score is particularly crucial because should the game end up being a draw, the team with the higher first innings total will win the match

Alcohol is the answer but I can't remember the question!
Poll: Rate this transfer window

Anybody following Somerset v Essex? on 10:35 - Sep 25 with 1437 viewsbournemouthblue

I believe no one has got over 200 versus Somerset's attack so either that gets thrown out the window in this game or Essex have a serious uphill struggle to rescue this match

Edit: So far it's going well, touch wood!
[Post edited 25 Sep 2020 13:52]

Anybody following Somerset v Essex? on 10:45 - Sep 25 with 1434 viewshampstead_blue

Most games have been low scoring.

Lords is a road unlike the pitches we have been playing on. I doubt many teams get 300 at Chelmsford.

A stat is best served in context. I feel on a road we'll beat them.

Anybody following Somerset v Essex? on 13:55 - Sep 25 with 1407 viewsbournemouthblue

Anybody following Somerset v Essex? on 10:45 - Sep 25 by hampstead_blue

Most games have been low scoring.

Lords is a road unlike the pitches we have been playing on. I doubt many teams get 300 at Chelmsford.

A stat is best served in context. I feel on a road we'll beat them.

Let's hope so!

I think it's all about Alastair Cook today, it should be a very important innings here

As a side note: What a shame it is this that this game hasn't been afforded full Sky Coverage given what is on the line!

Anybody following Somerset v Essex? on 14:52 - Sep 25 with 1387 viewshampstead_blue

Anybody following Somerset v Essex? on 13:55 - Sep 25 by bournemouthblue

Let's hope so!

I think it's all about Alastair Cook today, it should be a very important innings here

As a side note: What a shame it is this that this game hasn't been afforded full Sky Coverage given what is on the line!

Just got back from a lovely lunch with Mrs H.

Great to see SAC grinding them down. Also TW getting stuck in.

Still in the balance. Whilst they are down keep your foot in.

Anybody following Somerset v Essex? on 15:43 - Sep 25 with 1362 viewsChrisd

Anybody following Somerset v Essex? on 13:55 - Sep 25 by bournemouthblue

Let's hope so!

You called it Bournemouth blue, good to see the skipper finding a bit of form just at the right time.

Anybody following Somerset v Essex? on 16:01 - Sep 25 with 1346 viewsbournemouthblue

Anybody following Somerset v Essex? on 15:43 - Sep 25 by Chrisd

You called it Bournemouth blue, good to see the skipper finding a bit of form just at the right time.

Big time, very very important

But that's what legends do

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024