Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
This Job Support Scheme Doesnt Work! 12:52 - Sep 24 with 3300 viewskizaitfc

Why would they choose to pay an employee 55% for the employee to work 33% when they could just reduce their hours without this scheme and pay 33%. Assuming an employer has the right to reduce an employees contracted hours (a lot do from my experience).

They could even have the employee working 50% hours and still be economically better off.

Who has come up with this idea and why has it not been challenged in the commons?

What about the businesses that are not open, what is a VAT cut going to do for a closed theatre

Poll: Mick in or out? (not a dig at Mick just want to see the overall opinion on here)

This Job Support Scheme Doesnt Work! on 14:34 - Sep 24 with 482 viewskizaitfc

This Job Support Scheme Doesnt Work! on 14:31 - Sep 24 by lowhouseblue

because they want to keep people on and the scheme is helping them do that. which is why it's supported by the cbi and the tuc.

It is relying on all employers being nice guys who want to do best for their employees, unfortunately although a minority a significant portion of employers will be looking out for one thing and that is the companies profits.

Employers who cannot even open will not be able to pay this and therefore these employees will be left with nothing.

IMO, furlough should have been adjusted to target specific sectors and an increase to universal credit and JSA for those that are made redundant due to COVID-19.

Poll: Mick in or out? (not a dig at Mick just want to see the overall opinion on here)

This Job Support Scheme Doesnt Work! on 14:38 - Sep 24 with 473 viewsStokieBlue

This Job Support Scheme Doesnt Work! on 14:34 - Sep 24 by kizaitfc

It is relying on all employers being nice guys who want to do best for their employees, unfortunately although a minority a significant portion of employers will be looking out for one thing and that is the companies profits.

Employers who cannot even open will not be able to pay this and therefore these employees will be left with nothing.

IMO, furlough should have been adjusted to target specific sectors and an increase to universal credit and JSA for those that are made redundant due to COVID-19.

"IMO, furlough should have been adjusted to target specific sectors and an increase to universal credit and JSA for those that are made redundant due to COVID-19."

Why should some sectors get it and some not? Imagine the outcry when someone gets made redundant because their sector isn't on the scheme anymore and they have their money cut to JSA+UC+X whilst someone in a sector on the scheme sits at home earning decent money.

Not sure you've thought through the ramifications.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

This Job Support Scheme Doesnt Work! on 14:42 - Sep 24 with 456 viewskizaitfc

This Job Support Scheme Doesnt Work! on 14:32 - Sep 24 by hype313

For example in Germany a worker receives 60 percent of his or her pay for the hours not worked, while receiving full pay for the hours worked. So, a worker would only experience a 10 percent salary loss for a 30 percent reduction in hours.

I need to dig deeper on Rishi's proposal, but by all accounts he has looked to emulate the same scheme.

Is the additional amount paid by government alone?

This Job Support Scheme Doesnt Work! on 14:47 - Sep 24 with 451 viewskizaitfc

This Job Support Scheme Doesnt Work! on 14:38 - Sep 24 by StokieBlue

"IMO, furlough should have been adjusted to target specific sectors and an increase to universal credit and JSA for those that are made redundant due to COVID-19."

Why should some sectors get it and some not? Imagine the outcry when someone gets made redundant because their sector isn't on the scheme anymore and they have their money cut to JSA+UC+X whilst someone in a sector on the scheme sits at home earning decent money.

Not sure you've thought through the ramifications.

SB

Because some sectors literally cannot open.

There may need to be some sort of means test with regards to individual companies however I imagine that would get very complicated and could cause more harm than good.

Overall I think they have tried to find a middle of the road answer but ended up with a system that may suit the more profitable companies who can afford to leave some employees on part time whilst demand has decreased and others who are really struggling unable to afford such a scheme.

The government are asking struggling companies to pay 55% of a workers salary to work 33% of their hours, that is not going to be attractive to most struggling businesses.

This Job Support Scheme Doesnt Work! on 14:51 - Sep 24 with 444 viewsStokieBlue

This Job Support Scheme Doesnt Work! on 14:47 - Sep 24 by kizaitfc

Because some sectors literally cannot open.

There may need to be some sort of means test with regards to individual companies however I imagine that would get very complicated and could cause more harm than good.

Overall I think they have tried to find a middle of the road answer but ended up with a system that may suit the more profitable companies who can afford to leave some employees on part time whilst demand has decreased and others who are really struggling unable to afford such a scheme.

The government are asking struggling companies to pay 55% of a workers salary to work 33% of their hours, that is not going to be attractive to most struggling businesses.

"Because some sectors literally cannot open."

That doesn't answer my question. You are still creating a two tier system where viable companies are likely to make people redundant because they aren't eligible for the furlough scheme whilst other companies will furlough their staff.

It still ends up with people getting vastly different money from the government depending on whether their company is eligible for the scheme or not.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

This Job Support Scheme Doesnt Work! on 14:58 - Sep 24 with 432 viewskizaitfc

This Job Support Scheme Doesnt Work! on 14:51 - Sep 24 by StokieBlue

That doesn't answer my question. You are still creating a two tier system where viable companies are likely to make people redundant because they aren't eligible for the furlough scheme whilst other companies will furlough their staff.

It still ends up with people getting vastly different money from the government depending on whether their company is eligible for the scheme or not.

SB

That is why I added my second statement, maybe some kind of means testing is required.

Ultimately the government cannot have a blanket approach, many companies are operating normally and some are even doing better particularly the ones cutting overheads by working from home.

As previously said this scheme will not help the companies struggling the most it is a middle ground mechanism and that is the problem that many are expecting this to fail in the prevention of job losses

This Job Support Scheme Doesnt Work! on 15:01 - Sep 24 with 431 viewsitfcjoe

This Job Support Scheme Doesnt Work! on 14:51 - Sep 24 by StokieBlue

SB

I think the point is fine, as there will be abuses of it as there are certain industries that are fine to go back, and that should be trading at full capacity by now - if they elect to keep guys off just because they can it's not a good use of taxpayer money.

If businesses in certain industries haven't got everyone back by now they never will - some industries need more protection than others - as their industries aren't close to being back at full whack yet

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

This Job Support Scheme Doesnt Work! on 15:01 - Sep 24 with 432 viewskizaitfc

Paul Johnson, the director of the IFS, said: "The new job support scheme represents a significant new intervention from government to support jobs through the crisis.

"But it is significantly less generous than the furlough scheme it replaces, though remarkably the chancellor provided no indication of the likely cost of the scheme."

He added: "With employers now having to pay at least 55% of the normal wages of their employees it is clear that many jobs will be lost over the coming months."

Login to get fewer ads

This Job Support Scheme Doesnt Work! on 15:04 - Sep 24 with 427 viewsitfcjoe

This Job Support Scheme Doesnt Work! on 14:58 - Sep 24 by kizaitfc

That is why I added my second statement, maybe some kind of means testing is required.

Ultimately the government cannot have a blanket approach, many companies are operating normally and some are even doing better particularly the ones cutting overheads by working from home.

As previously said this scheme will not help the companies struggling the most it is a middle ground mechanism and that is the problem that many are expecting this to fail in the prevention of job losses

It's a bit like this furlough bonus, where you get £1k for everyone who was furloughed if they are still working in January

It's very helpful as an employer, and helps cover a bad year - but there can't be many who will be making decisions based on that 'bonus'

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

This Job Support Scheme Doesnt Work! on 19:33 - Sep 24 with 382 viewsrgp1

The next government scheme will be the soup kitchen support scheme when we are all homeless and bankrupt!

Oh and by the way parliament doesn't have a say anymore as we are ruled by decree!
This Job Support Scheme Doesnt Work! on 20:09 - Sep 24 with 372 viewsGuthrum

Except that the staff put on short hours (and thus pay) cannot then afford to continue working for you. Neither can any prospective replacements. If your staff have received job-specific training, all that will be down the drain. Your business will suffer.

Or you take a moderate financial hit in oder to keep hold of the staff who are essential for the continuation of your business.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024