Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Question for the space geeks (and phone geeks) 18:42 - Nov 2 with 2105 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

I have two 'space map' apps on my phone and both are showing the moon in a different position to where it actually is (so everything's off, basically). I've tried calibrating the compass... anything else I can try (and indeed, do you recommend a space map app that might be more accurate)?

Trust the process. Trust Phil.

Question for the space geeks (and phone geeks) on 16:53 - Nov 3 with 826 viewsNewcyBlue

Question for the space geeks (and phone geeks) on 16:46 - Nov 3 by The_Flashing_Smile

Yeah, we're not far from the country and I plan to take the missus out stargazing one weekend (whether she likes it or not!)

They're pretty strong binoculars - designed for astronomy more than terrestrial stuff actually - but I appreciate the better telescopes will show more. As someone said in my first thread about what to get, these seemed like a good starting point before getting into telescopes and silly money.

Go out into the country Dollers. Do it.

I take this with me on ship

https://www.bookharbour.com/admiralty-star-finder-and-identifier-np323

That’s the overlay and you put it on different charts depending on your latitude.

Poll: Who has been the best Bond?

Question for the space geeks (and phone geeks) on 17:04 - Nov 3 with 823 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Question for the space geeks (and phone geeks) on 16:53 - Nov 3 by NewcyBlue

Go out into the country Dollers. Do it.

I take this with me on ship

https://www.bookharbour.com/admiralty-star-finder-and-identifier-np323

That’s the overlay and you put it on different charts depending on your latitude.

Aye aye, cap'n.

Question for the space geeks (and phone geeks) on 17:09 - Nov 3 with 821 viewsSteve_M

Question for the space geeks (and phone geeks) on 15:48 - Nov 3 by The_Flashing_Smile

Ah brilliant, cheers!

EDIT: Apologies, I think I misunderstood your earlier post. When you said "How accurate are they for Jupiter, Saturn and Mars? All of which are visible at the moment in the evening" did you mean how accurate are the apps? Because if the apps aren't accurate for the moon, they aren't going to be accurate for anything else!
[Post edited 3 Nov 2020 15:52]

What I was getting at was that it might just be because of the way the moon moves relative to where you are. They might be better for objects further afield.

It might be worth checking if you can see Jupiter - it's visible outside to the south now, very clear and Saturn to the left, just fainter.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Question for the space geeks (and phone geeks) on 17:25 - Nov 3 with 814 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Question for the space geeks (and phone geeks) on 17:09 - Nov 3 by Steve_M

What I was getting at was that it might just be because of the way the moon moves relative to where you are. They might be better for objects further afield.

It might be worth checking if you can see Jupiter - it's visible outside to the south now, very clear and Saturn to the left, just fainter.

Ok, will have a look later, ta.

Question for the space geeks (and phone geeks) on 18:05 - Nov 3 with 797 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Question for the space geeks (and phone geeks) on 17:09 - Nov 3 by Steve_M

There's a really bright star to the east tonight, is that Sirius?

Question for the space geeks (and phone geeks) on 19:35 - Nov 3 with 791 viewsNewcyBlue

Question for the space geeks (and phone geeks) on 18:05 - Nov 3 by The_Flashing_Smile

There's a really bright star to the east tonight, is that Sirius?

X

X

X
X
X

Sirius
Here
X X

That’s Orion, follow Orion’s Belt point diagonally downwards and you will find Sirius.

How high in the sky is your bright light?

Question for the space geeks (and phone geeks) on 19:36 - Nov 3 with 790 viewsNewcyBlue

Question for the space geeks (and phone geeks) on 19:35 - Nov 3 by NewcyBlue

X

X

X
X
X

Sirius
Here
X X

That’s Orion, follow Orion’s Belt point diagonally downwards and you will find Sirius.

How high in the sky is your bright light?

That didn’t work. I spaced out the X’s to represent Orion. Ffs

Question for the space geeks (and phone geeks) on 11:28 - Nov 4 with 775 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Question for the space geeks (and phone geeks) on 19:36 - Nov 3 by NewcyBlue

That didn’t work. I spaced out the X’s to represent Orion. Ffs

haha, nice try. I found out later it was Mars.

Login to get fewer ads

Question for the space geeks (and phone geeks) on 11:50 - Nov 4 with 772 viewsSteve_M

Question for the space geeks (and phone geeks) on 11:28 - Nov 4 by The_Flashing_Smile

haha, nice try. I found out later it was Mars.

Did you manage to see Jupiter, and Saturn, too? Looks clear tonight so should be obvious, at least Jupiter anyway.

Venus was very obvious this morning too.

Question for the space geeks (and phone geeks) on 11:57 - Nov 4 with 768 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Question for the space geeks (and phone geeks) on 11:50 - Nov 4 by Steve_M

Did you manage to see Jupiter, and Saturn, too? Looks clear tonight so should be obvious, at least Jupiter anyway.

Venus was very obvious this morning too.

I did, although I wasn't able to see Saturn's rings sadly.

My brother sent me a map of the moon, so it was pretty cool to see the various areas, especially the Sea of Tranquility.

I'm already wanting stronger bins and am tempted to ask the supplier if I can send these back, upgrade, and pay the extra.

Question for the space geeks (and phone geeks) on 13:16 - Nov 4 with 765 viewsSteve_M

Question for the space geeks (and phone geeks) on 11:57 - Nov 4 by The_Flashing_Smile

I did, although I wasn't able to see Saturn's rings sadly.

My brother sent me a map of the moon, so it was pretty cool to see the various areas, especially the Sea of Tranquility.

I'm already wanting stronger bins and am tempted to ask the supplier if I can send these back, upgrade, and pay the extra.

Still, that's three of the five classical planets. And Venus is really obvious too.

No harm in asking on the last point.

Question for the space geeks (and phone geeks) on 13:30 - Nov 4 with 760 viewsfarkenhell

Question for the space geeks (and phone geeks) on 11:18 - Nov 3 by clive_baker

Fair.

I'm thinking of investing in a telescope as a lockdown present to myself. I've long had an interest in Astronomy through books but never owned a telescope of my own.

On a similar note if any one has any good book suggestions I would be keen to hear them.

I did a fair bit of research for my daughter a couple of years ago. This might save you a bit of time:

1) Book for beginners - Turn Left at Orion
2) I found these people very helpful (although most of the jargon went over my head) - https://stargazerslounge.com/
Question for the space geeks (and phone geeks) on 13:31 - Nov 4 with 759 viewsfarkenhell

Question for the space geeks (and phone geeks) on 11:46 - Nov 3 by Keno

I have it on good authority if you put the down on the ground then stand astride it then bend over to look at the screen you may catch a glimpse of Uranus

Brilliant!
Question for the space geeks (and phone geeks) on 13:39 - Nov 4 with 756 viewsjeera

Question for the space geeks (and phone geeks) on 13:31 - Nov 4 by farkenhell

Brilliant!

Don't encourage him.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024