Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The Aleutian Islands Campaign 1942–1943 Megathread (n/t) 19:20 - Nov 9 with 2320 viewsNthQldITFC

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

The Aleutian Islands Campaign 1942—1943 Megathread (n/t) on 01:51 - Nov 10 with 590 viewsGuthrum

The Aleutian Islands Campaign 1942—1943 Megathread (n/t) on 21:59 - Nov 9 by eireblue

This thread has reminded me that it has been a while since I have considered which was my favourite Aleutian Island.

Do any posters have strong views on their favourites?

Amchitka was the site of the USA's largest underground nuclear test. Concern about its environmental impact led to the foundation of Greenpeace.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cannikin

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

The Aleutian Islands Campaign 1942—1943 Megathread (n/t) on 06:23 - Nov 10 with 556 viewsWeWereZombies

The Aleutian Islands Campaign 1942—1943 Megathread (n/t) on 20:15 - Nov 9 by NthQldITFC

I was going to go with the Third Punic War 149BC—146 BC, but I thought that might be a little too lively a topic.

I'm quite taken with the idea Richard Miles proposed in his BBC2 series 'Ancient Worlds' that it was the Carthaginians who were the civilised ones and the Romans who were the degenerate barbarians.

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

The Aleutian Islands Campaign 1942—1943 Megathread (n/t) on 06:27 - Nov 10 with 555 viewsKeno

The Aleutian Islands Campaign 1942—1943 Megathread (n/t) on 21:59 - Nov 9 by eireblue

This thread has reminded me that it has been a while since I have considered which was my favourite Aleutian Island.

Do any posters have strong views on their favourites?

I like the small one

or that just far away?

Poll: Should Hoppy renew his season ticket
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

The Aleutian Islands Campaign 1942—1943 Megathread (n/t) on 10:45 - Nov 10 with 524 viewsFenboyBlue

I think I vaguely remember hearing about this before. I can only assume it was because I binge-watched the World At War mega-doc about 10 years ago and it was covered in that.
[Post edited 10 Nov 2020 10:45]
The Aleutian Islands Campaign 1942—1943 Megathread (n/t) on 11:04 - Nov 10 with 511 viewsWeWereZombies

The Aleutian Islands Campaign 1942—1943 Megathread (n/t) on 19:35 - Nov 9 by eireblue

Will the impact of this campaign on how X-9 was later deployed ever been known.

Reading on from the X-9 in Wikipedia to the GEM RASCAL is interesting, designed by Walter Dornberger - an associate of Werner von Braun and the person who Hitler claimed was one of only two people that he had ever apologised to (the other was the Field Marshall who recommended Dornberger's work).

An interesting aside on this concerns the area where Dornberger hid secret designs of the V2 being under British Army control but the documentation being 'recovered' by a Special Service Regiment of the US Army...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walter_Dornberger

The Aleutian Islands Campaign 1942—1943 Megathread (n/t) on 11:05 - Nov 10 with 509 viewsKeno

The Aleutian Islands Campaign 1942—1943 Megathread (n/t) on 06:23 - Nov 10 by WeWereZombies

I'm quite taken with the idea Richard Miles proposed in his BBC2 series 'Ancient Worlds' that it was the Carthaginians who were the civilised ones and the Romans who were the degenerate barbarians.

well as the saying goes when in Rome do as the Romanians do

The Aleutian Islands Campaign 1942—1943 Megathread (n/t) on 11:13 - Nov 10 with 502 viewsWeWereZombies

The Aleutian Islands Campaign 1942—1943 Megathread (n/t) on 11:05 - Nov 10 by Keno

well as the saying goes when in Rome do as the Romanians do

Don't go blaming the Romanians for that Vulgar Latin now.

The Aleutian Islands Campaign 1942—1943 Megathread (n/t) on 11:27 - Nov 10 with 499 viewsKeno

The Aleutian Islands Campaign 1942—1943 Megathread (n/t) on 11:13 - Nov 10 by WeWereZombies

Don't go blaming the Romanians for that Vulgar Latin now.

Didn't we try to sign him once?

Login to get fewer ads

The Aleutian Islands Campaign 1942—1943 Megathread (n/t) on 11:36 - Nov 10 with 493 viewsWeWereZombies

The Aleutian Islands Campaign 1942—1943 Megathread (n/t) on 11:27 - Nov 10 by Keno

Didn't we try to sign him once?

The Aleutian Islands Campaign 1942—1943 Megathread (n/t) on 13:15 - Nov 10 with 476 viewsHARRY10

The Aleutian Islands Campaign 1942—1943 Megathread (n/t) on 21:54 - Nov 9 by HARRY10

Are you sure

As I think you will find it was Poole harbour they attacked, trying to kill Lord Bathing-Towel who had formed Lovats scouts and had a camp on Brownsea Island (in the harbour)

Reading up on that attack I find that Cilla Black (Sir Rabrack) was in charge of getting equipment, food and ammunition to the Japanese troops

often jumping out and announcing "Supplies, supplies"

Taken from her biography by Ben Hill "Tora, Tora, Tora laughs'
The Aleutian Islands Campaign 1942—1943 Megathread (n/t) on 17:05 - Nov 11 with 444 viewseireblue

I recently found out that Dashiell Hammett worked on the islands during that campaign.

Some people think he was a genius for starting the hard boiled detective novel genre.
Personally I think he was a bit meh.
The Aleutian Islands Campaign 1942—1943 Megathread (n/t) on 17:56 - Nov 11 with 425 viewsKeno

The Aleutian Islands Campaign 1942—1943 Megathread (n/t) on 13:15 - Nov 10 by HARRY10

Reading up on that attack I find that Cilla Black (Sir Rabrack) was in charge of getting equipment, food and ammunition to the Japanese troops

often jumping out and announcing "Supplies, supplies"

Taken from her biography by Ben Hill "Tora, Tora, Tora laughs'

reminds of the time I complained in a Chinese restaurant. I said to the chef this chicken is rubbery

he smiled and said thank you

The Aleutian Islands Campaign 1942—1943 Megathread (n/t) on 18:00 - Nov 11 with 420 viewseastangliaisblue

The Aleutian Islands Campaign 1942—1943 Megathread (n/t) on 17:56 - Nov 11 by Keno

reminds of the time I complained in a Chinese restaurant. I said to the chef this chicken is rubbery

That made me laugh a little more than it should of done, you daft racist.
The Aleutian Islands Campaign 1942—1943 Megathread (n/t) on 20:34 - Nov 11 with 393 viewsWeWereZombies

The Aleutian Islands Campaign 1942—1943 Megathread (n/t) on 17:56 - Nov 11 by Keno

I was chatting to Eliza Doolittle the other day and she seemed a bit down, turned out she had become homeless. I ask her if there was anything I could do but she just said 'All I want is a room somewhere'.

So I asked whereabouts and she just gave me a vague 'Far away from the cold night air.'

I said I didn't have any spare rooms but I had a yard full of old tyres and could rig up a cosy little den out of those. But she said ' Wouldn't it be...

The Aleutian Islands Campaign 1942—1943 Megathread (n/t) on 20:48 - Nov 11 with 388 viewsKeno

The Aleutian Islands Campaign 1942—1943 Megathread (n/t) on 20:34 - Nov 11 by WeWereZombies

I was chatting to Eliza Doolittle the other day and she seemed a bit down, turned out she had become homeless. I ask her if there was anything I could do but she just said 'All I want is a room somewhere'.

So I asked whereabouts and she just gave me a vague 'Far away from the cold night air.'

I said I didn't have any spare rooms but I had a yard full of old tyres and could rig up a cosy little den out of those. But she said ' Wouldn't it be...

Does she Lorraine, the girl from Spain?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024