Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Imagine if you were writing a sitcom about the Football Association 15:14 - Nov 10 with 1097 viewsIllinoisblue

And episode 2 featured the head of the FA talking to the government about diversity. Your script has the boss man talking about “coloureds”, a casual reference to IT depts being staffed by Asians, and then a throwaway line about how being gay is a lifestyle choice. You’d throw out that script because it’s 2020 and these things just don’t happen anymore.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Imagine if you were writing a sitcom about the Football Association on 15:16 - Nov 10 with 1071 viewstractorboy1978

Mike Bassett - England Manager the sequel is a must.
Imagine if you were writing a sitcom about the Football Association on 15:20 - Nov 10 with 1053 viewsDanTheMan

Oh ftlog, just read the comments.

I don't know why but I find the lifestyle choice stuff particularly bad given the very obvious issues gay players have faced.

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

Imagine if you were writing a sitcom about the Football Association on 15:27 - Nov 10 with 1036 viewsclive_baker

Poor choice of words, there's no doubt about that. He didn't say "coloureds" though. If we're delving into semantics it's important to get the quote right and not peddle mistruths. His exact words were "high profile coloured footballers", in relation to the abuse they receive on social media. The sentiment of what he was saying is right, but as I said its a poor and antiquated term to refer to black people.

Feel somewhat sorry for the bloke with regards to the backlash. I see already people are calling for his resignation. I think we need to be a little careful, as with anything its all about intent and context. I don't know the bloke but in this instance it looks more like a lazy choice of words than anything else.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Imagine if you were writing a sitcom about the Football Association on 16:03 - Nov 10 with 983 viewsIllinoisblue

Imagine if you were writing a sitcom about the Football Association on 15:27 - Nov 10 by clive_baker

Poor choice of words, there's no doubt about that. He didn't say "coloureds" though. If we're delving into semantics it's important to get the quote right and not peddle mistruths. His exact words were "high profile coloured footballers", in relation to the abuse they receive on social media. The sentiment of what he was saying is right, but as I said its a poor and antiquated term to refer to black people.

Feel somewhat sorry for the bloke with regards to the backlash. I see already people are calling for his resignation. I think we need to be a little careful, as with anything its all about intent and context. I don't know the bloke but in this instance it looks more like a lazy choice of words than anything else.

I would have perhaps felt sorry for him if he hadn’t started his apology with “If I said it...” which immediately renders his apology worthless.

Also, more generally, don’t the FA have HR people who can teach and coach their executives to not say these things?

62 - 78 - 81

Imagine if you were writing a sitcom about the Football Association on 16:41 - Nov 10 with 938 viewsDarth_Koont

Imagine if you were writing a sitcom about the Football Association on 15:27 - Nov 10 by clive_baker

Although he does represent a sport and an industry where racism and homophobia have been very public issues.

What else is he tone-deaf and clueless about?

Pronouns: He/Him

Imagine if you were writing a sitcom about the Football Association on 17:02 - Nov 10 with 907 viewsIllinoisblue

Imagine if you were writing a sitcom about the Football Association on 16:41 - Nov 10 by Darth_Koont

Although he does represent a sport and an industry where racism and homophobia have been very public issues.

What else is he tone-deaf and clueless about?

The Times reporting he’s going to quit

62 - 78 - 81

Imagine if you were writing a sitcom about the Football Association on 17:24 - Nov 10 with 879 viewspointofblue

Imagine if you were writing a sitcom about the Football Association on 17:02 - Nov 10 by Illinoisblue

He should have quit the moment his involvement in Project Big Picture was known (after he scurried around denying it)

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Imagine if you were writing a sitcom about the Football Association on 17:34 - Nov 10 with 863 viewsDanTheMan

Imagine if you were writing a sitcom about the Football Association on 17:02 - Nov 10 by Illinoisblue

Yup, he's gone. Probably for the best.

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

Login to get fewer ads

Imagine if you were writing a sitcom about the Football Association on 17:39 - Nov 10 with 848 viewsGeoffSentence

Imagine if you were writing a sitcom about the Football Association on 15:16 - Nov 10 by tractorboy1978

Mike Bassett - England Manager the sequel is a must.

Sadly it was envisaged and they got as a far as making a trailer, but they were trying to get funding for it via crowdfunding and didnt reach their target.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Imagine if you were writing a sitcom about the Football Association on 17:43 - Nov 10 with 845 viewsuefacup81

Imagine if you were writing a sitcom about the Football Association on 17:34 - Nov 10 by DanTheMan

Yup, he's gone. Probably for the best.

I'm sure he won't be all too concerned about having lost his job, given that this now means that irksome 'conflict of interest' which prevented him from going the whole hog on Project Big Picture is now conveniently out of the way.

I see there being a highly-paid consultancy role on behalf of some of the bigger clubs in his not-too-distant future.

Poll: Predictions for tonight?

Imagine if you were writing a sitcom about the Football Association on 17:54 - Nov 10 with 817 viewsSteve_M

Well quite, this sums it up - a bingo card of stereotypes.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Imagine if you were writing a sitcom about the Football Association on 19:47 - Nov 10 with 732 viewsTheBoyBlue

Yeah, I thought that. But then he followed it up with all the other stuff too, which dug a hole that was too deep to get out.

Blog: [Blog] The Homer Simpson of the Championship

Imagine if you were writing a sitcom about the Football Association on 20:14 - Nov 10 with 694 viewsFenboyBlue

What was in Episode 1 ? I missed it.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024