Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Sports Government bailouts 14:08 - Nov 19 with 2403 viewsitfcjoe

£130m given to Rugby Union, but yet football needs to sort itself out - scandalous really

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Sports Government bailouts on 11:50 - Nov 20 with 364 viewsitfcjoe

Sports Government bailouts on 11:44 - Nov 20 by N2_Blue

I just can't agree I'm afraid. And the comparison with Rashford is not a good one. He is an individual who has earned his money and does not have responsibility to those children
He is not a member body/key stakeholder who has a duty to protect it's associates and can blatantly afford to it an unprecedented time) for the good of it's business.

In any case I'm sure Rashford gives plenty to charity and supports a cause. I don't see the Premierleague doing much to try and support anyone outside it's direct members. Even the money it gives to grass routes football is pathetic compared to the money it secures through TV. This allows the PL to give clubs billions of pounds, which in turn allows these clubs to pay some players 500k a week for kicking a ball around. Sorry that is just not right, but maybe a separate argument.

I get the community aspect and that unprofessional clubs are going to the wall and would support a small amount of money going to those at a completely unprofessional level, but professional football does not warrant any tax payers money in my opinion.

Something has to change in football. It is a unique business, and that change is never going to come without the pain of some football clubs going to wall. It's a sad fact, but that in itself should not mean tax payers bailing them out. Football in its current structure was not sustainable before the COVID and clubs were going bust before then...that is the issue and a pandemic and bailouts should not disguise that.

For me the key point is that whilst I agree that there needs to be a better distribution of money in football, and there are efforts being made on this with regards to the salary cap (and previously the SCMP in 3rd and 4th tier).....the Government are stopping fans from getting in and killing the income stream.

Clubs are relying on fans paying for nothing currently, and that's not fair or right - but with no Govt support and them restraining trade then that's not right.

Sports Government bailouts on 12:13 - Nov 20 with 356 viewsN2_Blue

Sports Government bailouts on 11:50 - Nov 20 by itfcjoe

For me the key point is that whilst I agree that there needs to be a better distribution of money in football, and there are efforts being made on this with regards to the salary cap (and previously the SCMP in 3rd and 4th tier).....the Government are stopping fans from getting in and killing the income stream.

Clubs are relying on fans paying for nothing currently, and that's not fair or right - but with no Govt support and them restraining trade then that's not right.

But the revenue streams are not killed completely.

At times non-professional games have had fans.
in the EFL many clubs can still sell merchandise, getting money from ifollow, season ticket sales.

Some businesses have none of these streams of revenue available.

Maybe football clubs should think about the future. Maybe they'll have smaller squads, lay off players, pay reduced wages. That's happened in all other walks of life, footballers should not be treated any differently. They are no more worthy than the waiter/waitress who loses their job when a restaurant stops trading or goes bust.

There are no right answers and I do see your points, but there is not an infinite supply of money and it can't be used to bail out football clubs who are paying players thousands of pounds a week. It's just not morally right for me.

Poll: Is it now time to sack Paul Cook?

Sports Government bailouts on 12:22 - Nov 20 with 346 viewsitfcjoe

Sports Government bailouts on 12:13 - Nov 20 by N2_Blue

But the revenue streams are not killed completely.

At times non-professional games have had fans.
in the EFL many clubs can still sell merchandise, getting money from ifollow, season ticket sales.

Some businesses have none of these streams of revenue available.

Maybe football clubs should think about the future. Maybe they'll have smaller squads, lay off players, pay reduced wages. That's happened in all other walks of life, footballers should not be treated any differently. They are no more worthy than the waiter/waitress who loses their job when a restaurant stops trading or goes bust.

There are no right answers and I do see your points, but there is not an infinite supply of money and it can't be used to bail out football clubs who are paying players thousands of pounds a week. It's just not morally right for me.

The main revenue streams are killed completely though, in the same way that in the hospitality industry when the pubs shut the Govt pays their staff as trade is not able to happen

Football has the worst problem though, the bulk of the costs still exist as games are still being played (i.e. wages for players, management and other staff required to keep training ground and stadiums running), but the bulk of the income (i.e. fans coming to games) are not allowed to happen.

The bottom 2 tiers of the professional game are especially effected with no TV deal to talk off, and it's why these leagues went into hibernation previously using furlough scheme. Nothing has changed since then, but yet these clubs are expected to continue to trade - this whole situation for League 1 and League 2 is wrong, and a million miles away from the PL

Sports Government bailouts on 12:22 - Nov 20 with 346 viewstractordownsouth

Yeah but they don't play football at Eton

Poll: Preferred Lambert replacement?
Blog: No Time to Panic Yet

Sports Government bailouts on 12:31 - Nov 20 with 337 viewsSaleAway

Sports Government bailouts on 12:22 - Nov 20 by tractordownsouth

yes they do.

Poll: Which is less impressive?
Blog: Phoenix From the Flames

Sports Government bailouts on 12:32 - Nov 20 with 337 viewsBeckets

Sports Government bailouts on 12:22 - Nov 20 by tractordownsouth

Agreed and how many rugby union supporters vote Labour? Very few if any I suspect
Sports Government bailouts on 13:48 - Nov 20 with 315 viewsWickets

Sports Government bailouts on 10:07 - Nov 20 by hype313

It's not really a scandal, it's supply and demand, what are the overseas markets going to pay for? Man City v Liverpool or Yeovil v Plymouth?

However, there are plenty more scandalous things around football.

That is a very simplistic view of the TV money payments as these payments are not decided on popularity !
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024