Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Go 4-4-2 Lambert. 14:25 - Nov 22 with 1799 viewsTheTrueBlue1878

Holy
Chambers - Woolfenden - McGuinness - Ward
Lankester - McGavin - Huws - Bennetts
Norwood - Sears

Keep McGavin - Huws a little more defensively. Will be very much second best if we go 4-3-3 and try to match Hull, they will rip us apart.

A little more direct for this one I think.

Poll: Would you be happy with Paul Lambert?

Go 4-4-2 Lambert. on 14:35 - Nov 22 with 1528 viewsBlueBadger

The '4-4-2' bit is superfluous.

And anyway, where's he going to shoe horn Judge in in that formation?

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Go 4-4-2 Lambert. on 14:38 - Nov 22 with 1518 viewsITFC_96

Sears

Really?
Go 4-4-2 Lambert. on 14:49 - Nov 22 with 1501 viewsSuperblue95

Go 4-4-2 Lambert. on 14:38 - Nov 22 by ITFC_96

Sears

Really?

Jackson’s got to play if going 442

My hobbies include being quiet during trips, clapping with songs, and diabetes.
Poll: Englands player of the tournament

Go 4-4-2 Lambert. on 15:07 - Nov 22 with 1482 viewsTheTrueBlue1878

Go 4-4-2 Lambert. on 14:35 - Nov 22 by BlueBadger

The '4-4-2' bit is superfluous.

And anyway, where's he going to shoe horn Judge in in that formation?

Gave me good chuckle that. Very good BB!

He will shoehorn him in I guess! Must have an appearance clause in contract! Has to!
[Post edited 22 Nov 2020 15:07]

Go 4-4-2 Lambert. on 15:08 - Nov 22 with 1476 viewsTheTrueBlue1878

Go 4-4-2 Lambert. on 14:38 - Nov 22 by ITFC_96

Sears

Really?

Jackson won’t play 2 in 3 days after being out for so long. Hawkins not fit.

Norwood to start with Sears only options.

Go 4-4-2 Lambert. on 15:08 - Nov 22 with 1473 viewsTheTrueBlue1878

Go 4-4-2 Lambert. on 14:49 - Nov 22 by Superblue95

Jackson’s got to play if going 442

Fully fit, absolutely no question about it.

Don’t think he’ll be ready yet for 2 in 3 days.

Would go Jackson/Norwood or Jackson/Hawkins v Charlton!
[Post edited 22 Nov 2020 15:09]

Go 4-4-2 Lambert. on 15:20 - Nov 22 with 1448 viewsjayessess

Can't parse the logic of 4-4-2 making us harder to beat than 4-3-3. One less body in midfield, just so we can go long to two strikers who are (a) 5'9" and 5'7" (b) Not very fast.

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

Go 4-4-2 Lambert. on 15:29 - Nov 22 with 1437 viewsGarv

Ditching the game plan and identity we've developed during the first 12 games or just a one off to change it up?

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

Login to get fewer ads

Go 4-4-2 Lambert. on 15:46 - Nov 22 with 1421 viewsTheTrueBlue1878

Go 4-4-2 Lambert. on 15:29 - Nov 22 by Garv

Ditching the game plan and identity we've developed during the first 12 games or just a one off to change it up?

One off whilst with injuries, unless we look more effective. I’m not sure what the game plan we have developed is to date.

But if we play anything like we have done to date, we will be rolled over by Hull. Especially with the midfield of McGavin, Huws, Judge (most likely option).

Go 4-4-2 Lambert. on 15:48 - Nov 22 with 1418 viewsTheTrueBlue1878

Go 4-4-2 Lambert. on 15:20 - Nov 22 by jayessess

Can't parse the logic of 4-4-2 making us harder to beat than 4-3-3. One less body in midfield, just so we can go long to two strikers who are (a) 5'9" and 5'7" (b) Not very fast.

Norwood a handful leading the line, and Sears far more effective off the shoulder of the last man, would suspect both sharper than Hull CB pairing.

4-4-2, two banks of 4, two rigid CM who stick to position in front of back 4.

With injuries our strength is probably strikers right now. So would prefer to skip the midfield a bit more and look to our striking pair.

Also not sure Judge counts as a ‘body’ in midfield.

Go 4-4-2 Lambert. on 16:02 - Nov 22 with 1403 viewsjayessess

Go 4-4-2 Lambert. on 15:48 - Nov 22 by TheTrueBlue1878

Norwood a handful leading the line, and Sears far more effective off the shoulder of the last man, would suspect both sharper than Hull CB pairing.

4-4-2, two banks of 4, two rigid CM who stick to position in front of back 4.

With injuries our strength is probably strikers right now. So would prefer to skip the midfield a bit more and look to our striking pair.

Also not sure Judge counts as a ‘body’ in midfield.

Did you not see the Sears foot race with their centre half yesterday? He could barely take Jonathan Douglas in a sprint these days. Norwood hasn't proven a "handful" to anyone in one and a half seasons in this league. Not convinced Lankester and Bennetts are going to provide you a huge amount of additional cover down the flanks either.

Go 4-4-2 Lambert. on 16:23 - Nov 22 with 1375 viewsTheTrueBlue1878

Go 4-4-2 Lambert. on 16:02 - Nov 22 by jayessess

Did you not see the Sears foot race with their centre half yesterday? He could barely take Jonathan Douglas in a sprint these days. Norwood hasn't proven a "handful" to anyone in one and a half seasons in this league. Not convinced Lankester and Bennetts are going to provide you a huge amount of additional cover down the flanks either.

Sears still sharp, Norwood certainly a handful, better with a partner. Would be a decent pair them two.

Bennetts and Lankester would offer a lot more offensively form the wide areas than everything we have. Certainly more defensively disciplined than Judge.

Go 4-4-2 Lambert. on 16:29 - Nov 22 with 1365 viewsjayessess

Go 4-4-2 Lambert. on 16:23 - Nov 22 by TheTrueBlue1878

Sears still sharp, Norwood certainly a handful, better with a partner. Would be a decent pair them two.

Bennetts and Lankester would offer a lot more offensively form the wide areas than everything we have. Certainly more defensively disciplined than Judge.

Totally bemused by your attitude to Sears and Norwood, two forwards with utterly mediocre records of late, whose skill sets don't even compliment each other. Not sure what you're basing Bennetts/Lankester's defensive discipline on either (or why moving them from wide forwards to wide midfield is going to mean they offer more offensively).

Go 4-4-2 Lambert. on 16:31 - Nov 22 with 1359 viewspositivity

upvote for 4-4-2, but would go toto> mcg, jackson>sears, still not sure about bennets starting either

Poll: do you do judo and/or do you do voodoo?

Go 4-4-2 Lambert. on 17:22 - Nov 22 with 1317 viewsTheTrueBlue1878

Go 4-4-2 Lambert. on 16:29 - Nov 22 by jayessess

Totally bemused by your attitude to Sears and Norwood, two forwards with utterly mediocre records of late, whose skill sets don't even compliment each other. Not sure what you're basing Bennetts/Lankester's defensive discipline on either (or why moving them from wide forwards to wide midfield is going to mean they offer more offensively).

Game is of opinion.

Nothing to suggest defensive discipline would be anything other than professional.

I meant offer more offensively than Sears and Judge (as per yesterday) so apologise for confusion on that.

Interested to know your XI for the Hull game?

Go 4-4-2 Lambert. on 17:24 - Nov 22 with 1312 viewsTheTrueBlue1878

Go 4-4-2 Lambert. on 16:31 - Nov 22 by positivity

upvote for 4-4-2, but would go toto> mcg, jackson>sears, still not sure about bennets starting either

Either or Toto/McGuinness. McG better on the ball I feel. I think Toto just has fallen into same old liability habits after good start to season.

Doubt Jackson could go 2 in 3 days after injury. If fit, certainly Jackson over Sears.

Go 4-4-2 Lambert. on 17:26 - Nov 22 with 1308 viewsBlueBadger

Go 4-4-2 Lambert. on 15:29 - Nov 22 by Garv

We should definitely ditch the whole '12 passes around the centre halves the lump it' style we've been playing, yes.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Go 4-4-2 Lambert. on 18:48 - Nov 22 with 1241 viewsjayessess

Go 4-4-2 Lambert. on 17:22 - Nov 22 by TheTrueBlue1878

Game is of opinion.

Nothing to suggest defensive discipline would be anything other than professional.

I meant offer more offensively than Sears and Judge (as per yesterday) so apologise for confusion on that.

Interested to know your XI for the Hull game?

True, I'm just bemused by it is all!

I certainly do think Lankester and Bennetts offer more than Sears and Judge going forward, which is I wasn't sure why you'd push them back into midfield and then ping the ball over their heads!

In terms of defensive discipline, this season Judge has made 7 times as many tackles (per 90) as Lankester, plus 8 times as many interceptions. Bennetts makes as few tackles as Lanks and hasn't managed a single interception. Seems a reasonable proxy for their defensive contributions to me?

Personally, I'd stick with 4-3-3. There's a lot of enforced messing with personnel, least we can do is go with the same formation we've evidently been trying to train into them.

Go 4-4-2 Lambert. on 18:59 - Nov 22 with 1228 viewsGarv

Go 4-4-2 Lambert. on 15:46 - Nov 22 by TheTrueBlue1878

One off whilst with injuries, unless we look more effective. I’m not sure what the game plan we have developed is to date.

But if we play anything like we have done to date, we will be rolled over by Hull. Especially with the midfield of McGavin, Huws, Judge (most likely option).

I don't necessarily disagree, the rather ironic lack of midfielders obviously supports your argument, but I'm uneasy about the idea of ditching the philosophy and game plan that has got us 3rd and two points from top, conceding a grand total of one goal at home. We've controlled the vast majority of games playing this way.

The issue we've had in the last two is that we've we've conceded avoidable goals early on, whereas most games before that saw us build on a solid defence and be patient in attack.

I'm all for McGavin playing, in whatever system, but a two with him and Huws could arguably be rolled over also. Huws has been disappointing this season and it's a formation we haven't played.

Go 4-4-2 Lambert. on 19:20 - Nov 22 with 1196 viewsjayessess

Go 4-4-2 Lambert. on 18:59 - Nov 22 by Garv

I don't necessarily disagree, the rather ironic lack of midfielders obviously supports your argument, but I'm uneasy about the idea of ditching the philosophy and game plan that has got us 3rd and two points from top, conceding a grand total of one goal at home. We've controlled the vast majority of games playing this way.

The issue we've had in the last two is that we've we've conceded avoidable goals early on, whereas most games before that saw us build on a solid defence and be patient in attack.

I'm all for McGavin playing, in whatever system, but a two with him and Huws could arguably be rolled over also. Huws has been disappointing this season and it's a formation we haven't played.

Hull seem to like letting the other team have the ball, so I suspect it's mainly going to come down to whether (or how often) we shoot ourselves in the foot.

Go 4-4-2 Lambert. on 19:21 - Nov 22 with 1194 viewsGarv

Go 4-4-2 Lambert. on 16:02 - Nov 22 by jayessess

It didn't take Norwood long to prove himself a handful against Pompey, having been out for two months.

Go 4-4-2 Lambert. on 19:32 - Nov 22 with 1173 viewsPJH

Go 4-4-2 Lambert. on 19:21 - Nov 22 by Garv

It didn't take Norwood long to prove himself a handful against Pompey, having been out for two months.

Yes, I was surprised that he scored with that because he missed chances like that last season probably about 80% of the time.
Go 4-4-2 Lambert. on 19:34 - Nov 22 with 1167 viewsjayessess

Go 4-4-2 Lambert. on 19:21 - Nov 22 by Garv

One swallow doesn't make a Summer. 1 goal in 7 appearances this season.

Go 4-4-2 Lambert. on 19:46 - Nov 22 with 1148 viewsTheTrueBlue1878

Go 4-4-2 Lambert. on 18:48 - Nov 22 by jayessess

True, I'm just bemused by it is all!

I certainly do think Lankester and Bennetts offer more than Sears and Judge going forward, which is I wasn't sure why you'd push them back into midfield and then ping the ball over their heads!

In terms of defensive discipline, this season Judge has made 7 times as many tackles (per 90) as Lankester, plus 8 times as many interceptions. Bennetts makes as few tackles as Lanks and hasn't managed a single interception. Seems a reasonable proxy for their defensive contributions to me?

Personally, I'd stick with 4-3-3. There's a lot of enforced messing with personnel, least we can do is go with the same formation we've evidently been trying to train into them.

How many of them tackles are in a zonal position he should be playing, or whilst he has gone wondering like a headless chicken.

I’ve got my eyes for that tests that I don’t need statistics, he works hard, but not smart, he’s a roamer.

4-3-3, what would be your XI?

Go 4-4-2 Lambert. on 19:50 - Nov 22 with 1144 viewsTheTrueBlue1878

Go 4-4-2 Lambert. on 18:59 - Nov 22 by Garv

The system has got us to 3rd granted, but it is also the system we used going to the three decent sides we’ve faced this year (Doncaster, Lincoln, Sunderland), and handing us our 3 defeats.

I think the McGavin - Huws combination could be suspect, but would be asking them to be very defensive, remains close to each other, don’t drift out of that central zone and stay compact.

Bennetts/Lankester the outlets, Sears/Norwood the outlets, and realistically would be looking to counter through them and keep McGavin - Huws more conservative in front of the back line.

I fear if we try and go toe to toe with Hull with this ‘style’ we have, will be a similar outcome to Donacaster.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024