Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Beautiful from AJ 23:42 - Dec 12 with 5405 viewsTRUE_BLUE123

Dominated the fight.. Great shots... Great Knockout

Poll: Will Paul Lambert be Ipswich Town manager on the final day of this season ?

Beautiful from AJ on 09:25 - Dec 13 with 1310 viewsHerbivore

Beautiful from AJ on 09:16 - Dec 13 by Guthrum

Because of arcane and convoluted rules on who they must face for each belt, the fact that they only fight about once a year at the top level and the way the two of them seem to shout a lot but run away from each other, we may never definitively find out.

I think it will happen, but whoever wins will likely be stripped of one of their belts pretty quickly as trying to fight mandatory challengers from four different organisations within their prescribed timescales is more or less impossible.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Beautiful from AJ on 09:34 - Dec 13 with 1300 viewsGuthrum

Beautiful from AJ on 09:25 - Dec 13 by Herbivore

I think it will happen, but whoever wins will likely be stripped of one of their belts pretty quickly as trying to fight mandatory challengers from four different organisations within their prescribed timescales is more or less impossible.

I forgot to add in arguments about how the lucre is shared out from the PPV bonanza such a fight would produce.

I was going to say how can boxing carry on with such a chaotic mess of competing organisations, but then it struck me that having a unified authority is not always a good thing, either (c.f. FIFA, the FA, the ICC, etc., with their various scandals and lack of enforcing rules).

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Beautiful from AJ on 09:39 - Dec 13 with 1290 viewsHerbivore

Beautiful from AJ on 09:34 - Dec 13 by Guthrum

I forgot to add in arguments about how the lucre is shared out from the PPV bonanza such a fight would produce.

I was going to say how can boxing carry on with such a chaotic mess of competing organisations, but then it struck me that having a unified authority is not always a good thing, either (c.f. FIFA, the FA, the ICC, etc., with their various scandals and lack of enforcing rules).

They've reportedly already agreed the financial side of the deal, so that's one big hurdle out of the way.

Beautiful from AJ on 09:57 - Dec 13 with 1284 viewsVeronaBlue

Beautiful from AJ on 09:24 - Dec 13 by Herbivore

Wilder was sent a contract, sat on it for 2 weeks, and only signed it after the deadline had passed for the fight to be made by the WBA, which meant AJ then had to take a mandatory defence instead. Wilder's team failed to turn up for face to face negotiations with Hearn and Wilder has admitted turning down by far a career high pay day to make the fight. Look at Wilder's padded record, whilst AJ was out unifying the belts as quickly as possible he sat on his WBC belt fighting largely mediocre opposition for 5 years. Wilder made a lot of noise about wanting to fight AJ on twitter, but the actions of him and his team show they were never serious about making the fight. They saw a returning Fury as a much lower risk fight that could still generate a decent enough pay day.

I think you’re getting me confused with the other posters as you keep defending Joshua to me like I’ve passed negative judgment about his performance or record? I haven’t.

I just think you’re abit heavy handed in your argument against Fury dismissing someone like Wilder as a boxer when on his day he could knock anyone out. It might not be pretty but he’s dangerous whether he’s technically good or not. Again I’m not talking records here, just saying he’s as dangerous as any out there at the minute with what he’s got.

Edit: Sorry didn’t reply regarding the ducking. He was offered a career high pay day, £8 million odd. But in the market if think you should earn more money for what would be one of the biggest fights ever then you are going to sit on it. If he wanted £15 million you would sit on it? Whether we think he deserves it or not. If he was offered more money he might well have taken it. It’s just stuff you’ll never know isn’t it?
[Post edited 13 Dec 2020 10:04]
Beautiful from AJ on 10:15 - Dec 13 with 1265 viewsHerbivore

Beautiful from AJ on 09:57 - Dec 13 by VeronaBlue

I think you’re getting me confused with the other posters as you keep defending Joshua to me like I’ve passed negative judgment about his performance or record? I haven’t.

I just think you’re abit heavy handed in your argument against Fury dismissing someone like Wilder as a boxer when on his day he could knock anyone out. It might not be pretty but he’s dangerous whether he’s technically good or not. Again I’m not talking records here, just saying he’s as dangerous as any out there at the minute with what he’s got.

Edit: Sorry didn’t reply regarding the ducking. He was offered a career high pay day, £8 million odd. But in the market if think you should earn more money for what would be one of the biggest fights ever then you are going to sit on it. If he wanted £15 million you would sit on it? Whether we think he deserves it or not. If he was offered more money he might well have taken it. It’s just stuff you’ll never know isn’t it?
[Post edited 13 Dec 2020 10:04]

The financial terms were verbally agreed before the contract was sent out. And if he could earn far more fighting AJ than he could fighting Fury what does that tell you about who draws the money in the division?

I'm not dismissing Fury's win over Wilder, it was a very good win. Many people, myself included, were just waiting for Wilder to be exposed though as his recorded was largely padded by mediocre opposition and he'd showed a lot of flaws. He has a big right hand, but the best fighters can nullify that as Fury did in the second fight in particular and for most of the first fight too. If Ortiz hadn't been about 60 when he fought Wilder then he'd have been exposed long before Fury got to him.

I like both Fury and AJ personally, I just find it odd the wya that people subject them to different levels of scrutiny. Had Fury just stopped Pulev in 9 rounds without really dropping a round it'd be his third best win and people would be saying it's more evidence that he'd beat AJ. AJ does it and doesn't get all that much credit. It's very odd.

Beautiful from AJ on 10:35 - Dec 13 with 1249 viewsVeronaBlue

Beautiful from AJ on 10:15 - Dec 13 by Herbivore

The financial terms were verbally agreed before the contract was sent out. And if he could earn far more fighting AJ than he could fighting Fury what does that tell you about who draws the money in the division?

I'm not dismissing Fury's win over Wilder, it was a very good win. Many people, myself included, were just waiting for Wilder to be exposed though as his recorded was largely padded by mediocre opposition and he'd showed a lot of flaws. He has a big right hand, but the best fighters can nullify that as Fury did in the second fight in particular and for most of the first fight too. If Ortiz hadn't been about 60 when he fought Wilder then he'd have been exposed long before Fury got to him.

I like both Fury and AJ personally, I just find it odd the wya that people subject them to different levels of scrutiny. Had Fury just stopped Pulev in 9 rounds without really dropping a round it'd be his third best win and people would be saying it's more evidence that he'd beat AJ. AJ does it and doesn't get all that much credit. It's very odd.

I don’t disagree with that at all. AJ is the draw all day long. But he pushed for 60-40 and didn’t get it. Was it greed? Did he deserve it? Did he push for more knowing he wouldn’t get it to duck? Who honestly knows. If you look now they’re paying 50/50 against Fury if it happens. It’s got the Battle of Britain element to it and Fury’s popularity but I think there was appetite to pay Wilder the 60/40 back then. Unfortunately money ruins the division these days I think we can both agree on that. They lowballed Whyte when they wanted him to step in and same with Ortiz. Me personally I think they should have taken their chances but end of the day you can understand people trying to get as much as they can. It’s the fight of your life and the only real big pay day out there. Back in the day they fought anyone and everyone, now there’s a lot of protecting image and treating it like a business.

I haven’t commented on the AJ performance but there’s nothing you can say but a good win for him. Seen people saying he was trapped between styles but it was a change of plan against a good fighter in Pulev. Good amateur pedigree and knows how to box. Yes there are weird levels they are both held too and going around the houses like people do comparing their fights vs Klitschko is pointless. Different styles, different fights and different nights etc. Only one person with AJs record and he’s fought the best he can.
Beautiful from AJ on 10:39 - Dec 13 with 1243 viewsMalcolmBlue

Beautiful from AJ on 00:41 - Dec 13 by Herbivore

Fury has fought two decent opponents. He narrowly out pointed Kiltschko in an absolute snoozefest and then drew with and beat Wilder, who is barely even a boxer. He is big and awkward and can box, it's possible he keeps away from AJ for 12 rounds and wins on points. But AJ can box and he has good power, Fury has been tagged and hurt plenty by lesser fighters than AJ.

You're having a laugh, right? He made Klitschko look past it. Joshua fought him two year later when Klitschko was 41 and AJ was lucky not to get KO'ed, watch it back and you'll see that if Klitschko had more gas in the tank he would've won that fight.

Sorry but he has no chance against Fury, Joshua is too square and rigid and will be too easy a target to hit. Fury has the longest reach in boxing and has the best footwork of any heavyweight out there at the minute, there's no way that AJ out jabs or out boxes Fury. He could fight the whole fight in southpaw and still end up beating AJ.

Even AJ's biggest fans are calling him out for continuously ducking Fury. Eddie Hearn was getting booed last night because of this. He knows that if they fight his cash cow has gone and Fury will become the undisputed champion.

Edit - that said I thought AJ fought very well last night (that 3rd round was as good as any I've seen) and the uppercut to set up the KO was sublime. With Fury's height advantage I don't think AJ would be able to throw punches to that effect.
[Post edited 13 Dec 2020 10:42]

Poll: Is Theresa May the "Paul Hurst" of politics?

Beautiful from AJ on 10:42 - Dec 13 with 1241 viewsHerbivore

Beautiful from AJ on 10:35 - Dec 13 by VeronaBlue

I don’t disagree with that at all. AJ is the draw all day long. But he pushed for 60-40 and didn’t get it. Was it greed? Did he deserve it? Did he push for more knowing he wouldn’t get it to duck? Who honestly knows. If you look now they’re paying 50/50 against Fury if it happens. It’s got the Battle of Britain element to it and Fury’s popularity but I think there was appetite to pay Wilder the 60/40 back then. Unfortunately money ruins the division these days I think we can both agree on that. They lowballed Whyte when they wanted him to step in and same with Ortiz. Me personally I think they should have taken their chances but end of the day you can understand people trying to get as much as they can. It’s the fight of your life and the only real big pay day out there. Back in the day they fought anyone and everyone, now there’s a lot of protecting image and treating it like a business.

I haven’t commented on the AJ performance but there’s nothing you can say but a good win for him. Seen people saying he was trapped between styles but it was a change of plan against a good fighter in Pulev. Good amateur pedigree and knows how to box. Yes there are weird levels they are both held too and going around the houses like people do comparing their fights vs Klitschko is pointless. Different styles, different fights and different nights etc. Only one person with AJs record and he’s fought the best he can.

But they'd agreed the money side with Wilder, he then say on the contract and didn't sign until it was too late and AJ had moved on and agreed to fight his mandatory. Wilder was trying to demand 50/50 but even his team knew that was unrealistic. And it's not just about AJ being the draw, he was the one who had taken risks and had unified three of the belts whilst Wilder fought sub par opposition defending his one belt.

I don't agree that AJ isn't taking risks, look at his record and there's very little padding in there. He consistently fought ranked opponents and has tried to make fights with both Wilder and Fury. Look at their records in comparison and you'll see which of them has been happy to pad out their records.

Login to get fewer ads

Beautiful from AJ on 11:16 - Dec 13 with 1227 viewsVeronaBlue

Beautiful from AJ on 10:42 - Dec 13 by Herbivore

But they'd agreed the money side with Wilder, he then say on the contract and didn't sign until it was too late and AJ had moved on and agreed to fight his mandatory. Wilder was trying to demand 50/50 but even his team knew that was unrealistic. And it's not just about AJ being the draw, he was the one who had taken risks and had unified three of the belts whilst Wilder fought sub par opposition defending his one belt.

I don't agree that AJ isn't taking risks, look at his record and there's very little padding in there. He consistently fought ranked opponents and has tried to make fights with both Wilder and Fury. Look at their records in comparison and you'll see which of them has been happy to pad out their records.

I didn’t know he had pushed for for 50/50 or read that anywhere, but if that being the case I’d be inclined to agree with you.

I wouldn’t say he’s taken risks personally, he’s just fought who he should when he should and that’s how it should be. Shame others didn’t do the same.
Beautiful from AJ on 11:24 - Dec 13 with 1222 viewsHerbivore

Beautiful from AJ on 11:16 - Dec 13 by VeronaBlue

I didn’t know he had pushed for for 50/50 or read that anywhere, but if that being the case I’d be inclined to agree with you.

I wouldn’t say he’s taken risks personally, he’s just fought who he should when he should and that’s how it should be. Shame others didn’t do the same.

He's consistently fought good fighters, yet still comes in for more criticism than others in the division who have a lot more padding in their records. I just find it a bit odd, AJ seems to be held to different standards.

Beautiful from AJ on 11:46 - Dec 13 with 1213 viewsTractorboy24

Beautiful from AJ on 11:24 - Dec 13 by Herbivore

He's consistently fought good fighters, yet still comes in for more criticism than others in the division who have a lot more padding in their records. I just find it a bit odd, AJ seems to be held to different standards.

The record is there to see, of the top 10, AJ has fought 5 (Povetkin, Ruiz, Whyte, Parker & Pulev) and Fury has faced 1 (Wilder). Even if you go to the top 15 of each organisation Fury has faced another 2 (Chisora & Schwartz).
Beautiful from AJ on 12:49 - Dec 13 with 1186 viewsVeronaBlue

Beautiful from AJ on 11:24 - Dec 13 by Herbivore

I’m not sure why he does, as I’ve said he consistently fights who he should which can’t be said for others.
Beautiful from AJ on 13:02 - Dec 13 with 1181 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

I enjoyed it. It was obvious from the earliest exchange that the uppercut on the inside was causing Pulev all sorts of problems. Took Joshua a while to work out that was the way to get at him but it soon worked. The jab followed up with the big right straight was a clinical bit of boxing from AJ and he’d repeated that 1-2 at least half a dozen times without properly landing it until the knockout. Good boxing and good power.

As regards to AJ v Fury, I think Herbs had it spot on personally..it’s a 50/50 fight. I think Fury’s chin is vulnerable and if AJ connects early, that might be enough to end it. The longer the fight goes on, I imagine that suits Fury. Could see fury outpointing him in the later rounds of it got that far to win on the scorecards. As a betting event, it would be fascinating as to the market. Could genuinely make a case for it being 5/6 the pair.

Poll: Would we sell out our allocation for Wembley for a PJ Trophy final?

Beautiful from AJ on 13:06 - Dec 13 with 1176 viewsTRUE_BLUE123

Beautiful from AJ on 13:02 - Dec 13 by The_Romford_Blue

I enjoyed it. It was obvious from the earliest exchange that the uppercut on the inside was causing Pulev all sorts of problems. Took Joshua a while to work out that was the way to get at him but it soon worked. The jab followed up with the big right straight was a clinical bit of boxing from AJ and he’d repeated that 1-2 at least half a dozen times without properly landing it until the knockout. Good boxing and good power.

As regards to AJ v Fury, I think Herbs had it spot on personally..it’s a 50/50 fight. I think Fury’s chin is vulnerable and if AJ connects early, that might be enough to end it. The longer the fight goes on, I imagine that suits Fury. Could see fury outpointing him in the later rounds of it got that far to win on the scorecards. As a betting event, it would be fascinating as to the market. Could genuinely make a case for it being 5/6 the pair.

I completely agree with that assessment. Anyone who says X would destroy y is just wrong. It is a very close fight. Aj is not Wilder, he is far better. He hits hard and he's shown he can box through 12 rounds. Fury is a special fighter, but I think it is very level between them. Aj has a far better resume, Fury probably has the stand out performance albeit against not a great boxer in wilder.

Poll: Will Paul Lambert be Ipswich Town manager on the final day of this season ?

Beautiful from AJ on 13:07 - Dec 13 with 1175 viewsTRUE_BLUE123

Beautiful from AJ on 00:23 - Dec 13 by Blue12345

Joshua made hard work of it.

Pulev is nowhere near the standard of others in the division, there was only ever going to be one outcome tonight.

But credit where credit is due he won and you can only beat what’s in front of you.

Made hard work of it? He dominated the fight. Probably could have got him out earlier, but It was a comfortable win.

Beautiful from AJ on 13:09 - Dec 13 with 1173 viewsTRUE_BLUE123

Beautiful from AJ on 00:27 - Dec 13 by Herbivore

Wilder isn't bigger than AJ and Wilder literally can't box. All he has is a big right hand. And he almost knocked Fury out in their first fight.

Fury could outbox AJ but people forget that Fury has been hurt and dropped a number of times in his career and AJ hits hard and can box as well. AJ has consistent fought better opposition and yet every fight gets dissected. He just beat Pulev more easily than Fury won his second to last fight, which was against a total no mark. If Fury had just stopped Pulev in 9 rounds whilst barely losing a round I doubt he'd be getting the level of critique that AJ gets.

For me AJ v Fury is a 50/50 fight.

Spot on Herb. My money would be on AJ

Beautiful from AJ on 13:10 - Dec 13 with 1172 viewsTRUE_BLUE123

Beautiful from AJ on 10:39 - Dec 13 by MalcolmBlue

You're having a laugh, right? He made Klitschko look past it. Joshua fought him two year later when Klitschko was 41 and AJ was lucky not to get KO'ed, watch it back and you'll see that if Klitschko had more gas in the tank he would've won that fight.

Sorry but he has no chance against Fury, Joshua is too square and rigid and will be too easy a target to hit. Fury has the longest reach in boxing and has the best footwork of any heavyweight out there at the minute, there's no way that AJ out jabs or out boxes Fury. He could fight the whole fight in southpaw and still end up beating AJ.

Even AJ's biggest fans are calling him out for continuously ducking Fury. Eddie Hearn was getting booed last night because of this. He knows that if they fight his cash cow has gone and Fury will become the undisputed champion.

Edit - that said I thought AJ fought very well last night (that 3rd round was as good as any I've seen) and the uppercut to set up the KO was sublime. With Fury's height advantage I don't think AJ would be able to throw punches to that effect.

Of course he has a chance against ~Fury...... Fury has been pushed and dropped by worse fighters than Aj

Beautiful from AJ on 13:17 - Dec 13 with 1163 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

Beautiful from AJ on 13:06 - Dec 13 by TRUE_BLUE123

I completely agree with that assessment. Anyone who says X would destroy y is just wrong. It is a very close fight. Aj is not Wilder, he is far better. He hits hard and he's shown he can box through 12 rounds. Fury is a special fighter, but I think it is very level between them. Aj has a far better resume, Fury probably has the stand out performance albeit against not a great boxer in wilder.

Spot on. Have an arrow of harmony

Poll: Would we sell out our allocation for Wembley for a PJ Trophy final?

Beautiful from AJ on 13:43 - Dec 13 with 1140 viewsHerbivore

Beautiful from AJ on 10:39 - Dec 13 by MalcolmBlue

I think you're the one "having a laugh", quite frankly.

Beautiful from AJ on 13:16 - Dec 14 with 1068 viewsDinDjarin

Beautiful from AJ on 00:10 - Dec 13 by Herbivore

He really wouldn't.

He really would.
Beautiful from AJ on 13:35 - Dec 14 with 1062 viewsHerbivore

Beautiful from AJ on 13:16 - Dec 14 by DinDjarin

He really would.

If/when the fight is made I'll happily take a charity bet with you. Even though I think it's close to 50/50 I'm quite happy to back AJ against Fury in a charity bet. Anyone who sees the fight as a foregone conclusion is away with the fairies to be honest.

Beautiful from AJ on 14:00 - Dec 14 with 1050 viewsBiGDonnie

Beautiful from AJ on 00:10 - Dec 13 by Herbivore

He really wouldn't.

Agreed. It's very trendy to say Fury would walk all over Joshua, but after Saturday's performance I just can't see it. Would be a great spectacle and I could see it going either way.

COYBs
Poll: Is it too soon to sack Hurst?

Beautiful from AJ on 15:52 - Dec 14 with 1028 viewsmrfixit426

Beautiful from AJ on 01:41 - Dec 13 by Herbivore

Chisora has never been more than a Euro level fighter. Cunnignham did nothing at heavyweight and was coming off three losses in his last four fights. Johnson is a gatekeeper and nothing more. I'm not sure Fury has fought a top 10 fighter aside from Wilder and Wlad, which is pretty poor when he's had circa 30 fights.

AJ's record had way less padding and the likes of Parker, Povetkin, Whyte, Ruiz, and Pulev were or are top 10 rated fighters. As of course was Wlad, and even Martin and Brezeale were at the time he fought them, but I've excluded them because they're really not very good.

Look, Fury has two excellent standout wins on his record but in terms of overall depth AJ has consistently fought better opponents. That's not even a debate.

I don't seem to agreee with Herbivore on much, but he's absolutely nailed it here. It's not even a matter of opinion. These are just the facts.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024