Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
New Variant of covid detected in the south east 15:46 - Dec 14 with 1933 viewsEastTownBlue

FFS, it just gets better.
New Variant of covid detected in the south east on 15:48 - Dec 14 with 1907 viewsElderGrizzly

They say the vaccine still works though.

This was always likely though and a vaccine was likely to be required every year
New Variant of covid detected in the south east on 15:49 - Dec 14 with 1891 viewsEastTownBlue

New Variant of covid detected in the south east on 15:48 - Dec 14 by ElderGrizzly

This was always likely though and a vaccine was likely to be required every year

No indication it is to be worse either, but seems to quicker to spread.
[Post edited 14 Dec 2020 15:49]
New Variant of covid detected in the south east on 15:53 - Dec 14 with 1861 viewsWD19

I'm slightly sceptical.

What has become increasingly clear over recent weeks is that current modelling of prevalence in the population has tended to understate the numbers (for various methodological/sampling reasons).

What a 'new, fast spreading, variant' conveniently gives is credible air cover for when the modelling shows a mysterious uptick moving forwards.

So I don't doubt that new variants are popping up all over the place.....thats normal......I am just slightly sceptical as to the motives for how this is being played.
New Variant of covid detected in the south east on 15:54 - Dec 14 with 1831 viewsfooters

Of course, the soft southern poshos are 'too good' for the common virus. Should've known.

footers QC - Prosecution Barrister, Hasketon Law Chambers
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

New Variant of covid detected in the south east on 15:59 - Dec 14 with 1777 viewsStokieBlue

New Variant of covid detected in the south east on 15:53 - Dec 14 by WD19

I'm slightly sceptical.

What has become increasingly clear over recent weeks is that current modelling of prevalence in the population has tended to understate the numbers (for various methodological/sampling reasons).

What a 'new, fast spreading, variant' conveniently gives is credible air cover for when the modelling shows a mysterious uptick moving forwards.

So I don't doubt that new variants are popping up all over the place.....thats normal......I am just slightly sceptical as to the motives for how this is being played.

Tricky for them to lie about though, it'll take no time at all for scientists to confirm whether it has an mutations which assist with spreading.

They have also notified the WHO so they must have some solid information.

SB
[Post edited 14 Dec 2020 15:59]

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

New Variant of covid detected in the south east on 16:05 - Dec 14 with 1724 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

New Variant of covid detected in the south east on 15:48 - Dec 14 by ElderGrizzly

No they don't!

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

New Variant of covid detected in the south east on 16:05 - Dec 14 with 1734 viewsElderGrizzly

New Variant of covid detected in the south east on 15:59 - Dec 14 by StokieBlue

Tricky for them to lie about though, it'll take no time at all for scientists to confirm whether it has an mutations which assist with spreading.

They have also notified the WHO so they must have some solid information.

SB
[Post edited 14 Dec 2020 15:59]

It was identified 2 months ago in Norway

New Variant of covid detected in the south east on 16:07 - Dec 14 with 1706 viewsElderGrizzly

New Variant of covid detected in the south east on 16:05 - Dec 14 by BanksterDebtSlave

No they don't!

No they don’t what?

I guess it depends how much faith we have in the ‘indications it works’ being true
Login to get fewer ads

New Variant of covid detected in the south east on 16:33 - Dec 14 with 1573 viewsMookamoo

New Variant of covid detected in the south east on 16:05 - Dec 14 by ElderGrizzly

It was identified 2 months ago in Norway

Was that the one that was 10 times more infectious, but less effective/deadly?
New Variant of covid detected in the south east on 16:42 - Dec 14 with 1527 viewshype313

New Variant of covid detected in the south east on 16:33 - Dec 14 by Mookamoo

Was that the one that was 10 times more infectious, but less effective/deadly?

Sounds like the one spreading here then if so

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

New Variant of covid detected in the south east on 17:03 - Dec 14 with 1450 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

New Variant of covid detected in the south east on 16:07 - Dec 14 by ElderGrizzly

No they don’t what?

I guess it depends how much faith we have in the ‘indications it works’ being true

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/live/2020/dec/14/brexit-covid-coronavirus-b

New Variant of covid detected in the south east on 17:05 - Dec 14 with 1430 viewsMookamoo

New Variant of covid detected in the south east on 17:03 - Dec 14 by BanksterDebtSlave

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/live/2020/dec/14/brexit-covid-coronavirus-b

"Hancock says it is 'highly unlikely' that vaccine won't work with new variant of Covid"

Trust Hancock to use a double negative in an attempt to clear things up.
[Post edited 14 Dec 2020 17:05]
New Variant of covid detected in the south east on 17:05 - Dec 14 with 1427 viewsStokieBlue

New Variant of covid detected in the south east on 17:03 - Dec 14 by BanksterDebtSlave

Can you be clearer on the point you are trying to make?

Perhaps use some of your own words?

Because I am completely lost on what you are trying to say I am afraid :(.

SB

New Variant of covid detected in the south east on 17:07 - Dec 14 with 1404 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

New Variant of covid detected in the south east on 17:05 - Dec 14 by StokieBlue

Can you be clearer on the point you are trying to make?

Perhaps use some of your own words?

Because I am completely lost on what you are trying to say I am afraid :(.

SB

Grizzly said that they say the vaccine will still work and I pointed out they haven't said this as referenced in the link above. It isn't complicated.

New Variant of covid detected in the south east on 17:10 - Dec 14 with 1385 viewsStokieBlue

New Variant of covid detected in the south east on 17:07 - Dec 14 by BanksterDebtSlave

Grizzly said that they say the vaccine will still work and I pointed out they haven't said this as referenced in the link above. It isn't complicated.

Was complicated for me.

So the vaccine will still work as long as the spike proteins don't change hugely - I don't know how the new strain is different though.

SB

New Variant of covid detected in the south east on 17:13 - Dec 14 with 1358 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

New Variant of covid detected in the south east on 17:10 - Dec 14 by StokieBlue

Was complicated for me.

So the vaccine will still work as long as the spike proteins don't change hugely - I don't know how the new strain is different though.

SB

Ahh but you are always looking for subplots!
I think I read it may have shorter spikes, might I suggest that as of now, Grizzly, you and I have not the foggiest.....much like those scientists who pretended sending kids to school would be fine about 9 months ago and had people on here agreeing with them.

New Variant of covid detected in the south east on 19:08 - Dec 14 with 1135 viewsDinDjarin

New Variant of covid detected in the south east on 15:49 - Dec 14 by EastTownBlue

No indication it is to be worse either, but seems to quicker to spread.
[Post edited 14 Dec 2020 15:49]

Mutations are almost always weaker.
New Variant of covid detected in the south east on 21:23 - Dec 14 with 1004 viewsGuthrum

There are thousands of variations. The virus mutates every time it's passed on. However, very few of those mutations affect the important stuff like infectiousness or mortality.

Almost all viruses will, over time, tend towards more infectious but less harmful variants. They don't incapacitate their hosts, so are more likely to be passed on and will eventually become most prevalant. The common cold is a very successful family of viruses, because most people can basically ignore it and thus transmit to all their contacts. Ebola isn't, because hosts die very quickly and everyone else actively avoids catching it, thus it cannot reproduce.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024