Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Elder Grizzly or any other US politicos 08:51 - Jan 13 with 602 viewstractordownsouth

I know that for Trump to be convicted in the Senate, it would require a 2/3 majority, but I've seen on Twitter that a simple 51-49 majority would be enough to bar him from standing in 2024, is that the case? If so, Romney or Murkowski deciding to break rank may be enough - there are even rumours that McConnell is considering it.
[Post edited 13 Jan 2021 8:51]

Poll: Preferred Lambert replacement?
Blog: No Time to Panic Yet

Elder Grizzly or any other US politicos on 09:03 - Jan 13 with 563 viewsStokieBlue

To impeach him requires a simply majority in the house then it requires 2/3 majority in the senate. However once it reaches the senate the Democrats can hold a separate vote to ban him from running for future office which only needs a majority and given they have that after the 20th they don't even need Republican votes (although I think they will get some).

There is some legal dispute about the above (depending on which side you are on) but they can also use the 14th amendment to ban him from running for office with a simple majority in both the house and senate.

All a bit complicated. Trump definitely deserves to be impeached, I guess the worry for some is how his nutter following are going to take it knowing he won't run in 2024 (they still believe him to have a chance of winning of course).

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-trump-impeachment-explainer/explainer-tru

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Elder Grizzly or any other US politicos on 10:12 - Jan 13 with 506 viewsElderGrizzly

Elder Grizzly or any other US politicos on 09:03 - Jan 13 by StokieBlue

To impeach him requires a simply majority in the house then it requires 2/3 majority in the senate. However once it reaches the senate the Democrats can hold a separate vote to ban him from running for future office which only needs a majority and given they have that after the 20th they don't even need Republican votes (although I think they will get some).

There is some legal dispute about the above (depending on which side you are on) but they can also use the 14th amendment to ban him from running for office with a simple majority in both the house and senate.

All a bit complicated. Trump definitely deserves to be impeached, I guess the worry for some is how his nutter following are going to take it knowing he won't run in 2024 (they still believe him to have a chance of winning of course).

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-trump-impeachment-explainer/explainer-tru

SB

What Stokie said.

The ideal is to get a full conviction, but they will 'settle' for the disbaring from running for future office. And they are guaranteed to get that to with the 51:49 majority needed.

As of last night, apparently McConnell is likely to vote for conviction and up-to 24 other Republican Senators might join him.
Elder Grizzly or any other US politicos on 10:16 - Jan 13 with 496 viewsGuthrum

SB

A slice of his nutter following believe that something miraculous (or extremely violent) is going to happen on or before the 20th to put Trump back in power. They'll still continue in that vein even if he is impeached. Heck, if he dropped dead, they'd probably say he was actually sleeping in a cave, awaiting the right time to return and save them.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Elder Grizzly or any other US politicos on 10:17 - Jan 13 with 493 viewsMookamoo

Elder Grizzly or any other US politicos on 10:12 - Jan 13 by ElderGrizzly

What Stokie said.

The ideal is to get a full conviction, but they will 'settle' for the disbaring from running for future office. And they are guaranteed to get that to with the 51:49 majority needed.

As of last night, apparently McConnell is likely to vote for conviction and up-to 24 other Republican Senators might join him.

Et tu, McConnell
Elder Grizzly or any other US politicos on 10:17 - Jan 13 with 493 viewsGuthrum

Elder Grizzly or any other US politicos on 10:12 - Jan 13 by ElderGrizzly

What Stokie said.

With those numbers, they might even get the full impeachment.

Elder Grizzly or any other US politicos on 10:22 - Jan 13 with 478 viewsGuthrum

Elder Grizzly or any other US politicos on 10:17 - Jan 13 by Mookamoo

Et tu, McConnell

He might have backed Trump as a Republican President (especially on things like appointing new conservative Supreme Court justices), but McConnell is not a Trumpist per se. He was long established before Trump came on the scene and is now trying to save the party from the destructive urges of the defeated man in the White House.

I'd say that the betrayal runs both ways.

Elder Grizzly or any other US politicos on 10:25 - Jan 13 with 473 viewsNthQldITFC

Elder Grizzly or any other US politicos on 10:17 - Jan 13 by Guthrum

With those numbers, they might even get the full impeachment.

So, do they actually drown him in a vat of peaches if they get that majority, and if so is is the ones in syrup, or the ones in fruit juice, cos I think Sainsburys are out of the latter. My aunt has bought them all up to aid her bowel movements. But we could recycle...?

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

Elder Grizzly or any other US politicos on 10:46 - Jan 13 with 449 viewsMookamoo

Elder Grizzly or any other US politicos on 10:22 - Jan 13 by Guthrum

He might have backed Trump as a Republican President (especially on things like appointing new conservative Supreme Court justices), but McConnell is not a Trumpist per se. He was long established before Trump came on the scene and is now trying to save the party from the destructive urges of the defeated man in the White House.

Agree - It's the right thing for him to do politically and hope they can sweep Trump away as an aberration as quickly as possible. Shame it took a mob literally banging on their doors looking for blood for the enablers to realise they need to act. McConnell didn't have to push through Coney Barrett.
Login to get fewer ads

Elder Grizzly or any other US politicos on 10:49 - Jan 13 with 438 viewsEdwardStone

Elder Grizzly or any other US politicos on 10:25 - Jan 13 by NthQldITFC

So, do they actually drown him in a vat of peaches if they get that majority, and if so is is the ones in syrup, or the ones in fruit juice, cos I think Sainsburys are out of the latter. My aunt has bought them all up to aid her bowel movements. But we could recycle...?

Drowning in Peaches sounds a very pleasant way to depart....do you think that CNN might show it live?
Elder Grizzly or any other US politicos on 10:57 - Jan 13 with 427 viewsGuthrum

Elder Grizzly or any other US politicos on 10:46 - Jan 13 by Mookamoo

Agree - It's the right thing for him to do politically and hope they can sweep Trump away as an aberration as quickly as possible. Shame it took a mob literally banging on their doors looking for blood for the enablers to realise they need to act. McConnell didn't have to push through Coney Barrett.

Getting Coney Barrett confirmed is a core part of McConnell's political philosophy. It's a traditional Republican aim of tilting the Supreme Court in a conservative direction and has little to do with Trumpism as such.

As is so often the case when facing amoral demagogues, the ordinary politicians turned a blind eye to the excesses, thinking it would all be alright - until it suddenly wasn't.

I do think that the Capitol riot has crossed a line for many people. Up to that point, it looked like Trump's legal challenges were all failing and he would fade away. They didn't believe he would actually try to incite direct action.

Elder Grizzly or any other US politicos on 11:15 - Jan 13 with 414 viewsRadlett_blue

SB

I think there's a huge amount of political grandstanding going on. Trump is now finished as a major political player so his opponents - especially the Democrats - want to do the equivalent of exhuming Oliver Cromwell's dead body & giving him a posthumous execution.
Recent events will have tipped many marginal Trump supporters in the other direction & while his natural boastfulness & bluster mean that he will talk of running again for President, the Republican Party won't have him (they only accepted him very reluctantly in the first place), although I accept he could make a ludicrous attempt as an independent for the 2024 election, by which time he will be 78.
Far better for America to forget trying to impeach or ban him & let him fade away from the political scene, rather than tying up politics in courts & lawsuits for the next year. We will get far more consensual politics from Biden & the country would benefit from more of the same from the Republicans.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Elder Grizzly or any other US politicos on 11:18 - Jan 13 with 410 viewstractordownsouth

Elder Grizzly or any other US politicos on 10:22 - Jan 13 by Guthrum

As others have said on here, Trump was always just a useful idiot for McConnell, Graham etc. He was a vehicle to get their low taxes and right-wing judges, and now he can't provide that, he's been tossed on the scrapheap.

Poll: Preferred Lambert replacement?
Blog: No Time to Panic Yet

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024