Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Since Robson left nearly 40 years ago 22:18 - Feb 3 with 5853 viewsnodge_blue

We have only had 3 managers that have taken the club forward.

They are Lyall, Burley and Royle.

Thats a pretty damning statement. Maybe open to slight debate but not much. The rest have managed us into a general decline and probably left us weaker than when they started the job.

We've only had two promotions in those 40 years as well.

How very, very sad. We deserve to be angry at the state of this club.

Poll: best attacking central midfielder?

Since Robson left nearly 40 years ago on 23:30 - Feb 3 with 1354 viewsnodge_blue

Since Robson left nearly 40 years ago on 23:23 - Feb 3 by Herbivore

You can't just base this on who you like and who you don't like. Burley left before the fire sale, we only lost Bramble and Stewart and still had a crazy sqaud. Hreidarsson, Holland and Ambrose went in the fire sale some months later under Royle. I loved Burley, watching his sides was the best time for me as a Town fan. But objectively he didn't leave us in a better place than when he took over, he left us about to go into admin in the bottom half of the Championship.

Mick's style wasn't a patch on Burley of course but look at what he inherited versus what he left, the state of youngsters coming through when he started versus when he left. Objectively he improved us and took us forward.

That’s true about the fire sale. I don’t know why we didn’t play better straight after relegation. That stupid fair play uefa cup spot didn’t help.

But I’m not having it that burley wasn’t a huge success and took the club forward. In the way that Eddie Howe was at Bournemouth but struggled at the start of this campaign.

Mick McCarthy didn’t deserve the dogs abuse he got. It wasn’t nice. I never booed. Very rarely do. But some of the performances, and I’ve talked about the burton at home game before on here. They were bottom of the league. But outplayed us. Loooked a better footballing side. And we managed zero goal attempts by half time. Micks joyless approach to football seems too embedded now. I think he is part of the problem today. He lived for dogmatic wins and the rest of the club style was out of kilter.

Since Robson left nearly 40 years ago on 23:38 - Feb 3 with 1344 viewsnodge_blue

Since Robson left nearly 40 years ago on 23:30 - Feb 3 by nodge_blue

That’s true about the fire sale. I don’t know why we didn’t play better straight after relegation. That stupid fair play uefa cup spot didn’t help.

But I’m not having it that burley wasn’t a huge success and took the club forward. In the way that Eddie Howe was at Bournemouth but struggled at the start of this campaign.

Mick McCarthy didn’t deserve the dogs abuse he got. It wasn’t nice. I never booed. Very rarely do. But some of the performances, and I’ve talked about the burton at home game before on here. They were bottom of the league. But outplayed us. Loooked a better footballing side. And we managed zero goal attempts by half time. Micks joyless approach to football seems too embedded now. I think he is part of the problem today. He lived for dogmatic wins and the rest of the club style was out of kilter.

Actually let’s give Lambert some credit and say his early observations were very true.

It’s just that he doesn’t seem able to turn it around a d is becoming an example of what he initially observed.

One more thing John Lyalls side weren’t that great either!

Since Robson left nearly 40 years ago on 01:37 - Feb 4 with 1314 viewspatrickswell

Since Robson left nearly 40 years ago on 22:45 - Feb 3 by Herbivore

Of those three only Lyall took us forward really. Burley took over in the top flight (albeit doomed) and left us bottom half in the Championship. Some great times in between and he got the academy ticking to, but he left us on the verge of administration and in a not very good way ultimately. And I say that having loved Burley.

Royle left us in more or less the same position he found us but with a much weaker squad. Arguably neglected the youth set up. Hard to make a case that he took us forward.

Mick improved us and took us forward, imo. He inherited a shambles that was bottom of the league and left a decent Championship squad. We had more academy players coming through too when he left than when he joined. I appreciate that view won't sit well with some.

I think you're wrong about Royle neglecting the youth set up. It was slightly forced on him but Westlake, Richards, Bowditch, Bent, Garvan, Haynes, Clarke, Supple and Price all got a decent number of games under him.
Since Robson left nearly 40 years ago on 07:58 - Feb 4 with 1270 viewsSteve_M

How did Royle take the club forward, he inherited the best squad of any manager bar Ferguson and failed to get us promoted? Yes, he had to deal with the mess left after administrations and he did a good job overall but that isn't taking the club forward.

Had we not failed in the second half of 2004-05 the subsequent history of the club would be a lot better. Shefki got injured and we had become so one-dimensional in our play that neither Counago or Bowditch could play in his system. Once we lost players that Summer it all fell apart.

Magilton had more of a plan to take the club forward and I think McCarthy did in his first three years too,.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Since Robson left nearly 40 years ago on 08:16 - Feb 4 with 1254 viewsRadlett_blue

Since Robson left nearly 40 years ago on 22:23 - Feb 3 by Pendejo

I think everyone can agree we overachieved, even if, in a way, we under achieved 80/81 & 81/82.

But I think "our place", is probably 2nd tier - potential attendances etc.

a tour of 4th tier and below look more likely right now.

Yes, given the level of support Town's "natural" place would be a mid ranking 2nd tier club. The financial rewards available in the PL means that clubs like Bournemouth (bankrolled by a rich Russian as well) can now survive at the top level if well managed.
Since Evans took over, the real problem has been the huge amount of money that other owners have been prepared to lose in a gamble of getting promoted to the PL.
Town's "natural" place is now a mid to bottom half 2nd tier club & that's what we were for umpteen years, under a succession of seemingly poor managers.
Hurst's dreadful recruitment has put Town in this hole; we will get back to Div 2 at some stage, but without a rich, gambling owner (which can create huge problems - see Derby) that's as good as it gets.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Since Robson left nearly 40 years ago on 08:24 - Feb 4 with 1243 viewsHerbivore

Since Robson left nearly 40 years ago on 23:30 - Feb 3 by nodge_blue

You should really have said in your OP that you've only enjoyed the football under 2 or 3 managers since Robson left. That would have been more accurate.

The Eddie Howe comparison doesn't work for Burley since Howe took Bournemouth up from the third tier (possibly fourth?) and left them in the Championship as a much bigger club. Burley took over in the Prem and had some success and then left us in the bottom half of the Championship on the brink of administration. Objectively, he didn't take us forward over the entirety of his time here. He gave us some good times along the way some very good times in fact, but look at where he ultimately left us. It wasn't really forward from where he took over.

Again, you may not have liked Mick's football but objectively he took us toward. He interited a bottom of the table side packed full of loans and short term signings, very little coming through the youth team. He left a solid midtable squad with good players like Webster and Waghorn, Bart and Knudsen both off at the World Cup, and a clutch of talented youngsters that he'd blooded sensibly. That's the definition of taking us forward.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Since Robson left nearly 40 years ago on 08:31 - Feb 4 with 1240 viewsHerbivore

Since Robson left nearly 40 years ago on 01:37 - Feb 4 by patrickswell

I think you're wrong about Royle neglecting the youth set up. It was slightly forced on him but Westlake, Richards, Bowditch, Bent, Garvan, Haynes, Clarke, Supple and Price all got a decent number of games under him.

Bent was already pretty well established when Royle came in to be fair, so he can't be given much credit for that. Most of the others, aside from Richards and Westlske, were mostly bit part players under Royle and neither Westlske or Richards really pushed on and developed. The others got more game time later in Royle's rein after we'd sold players off so his hand was forced. I always felt Royle wasn't sure how to develop the youngsters, I remember him attempting to utilise Bowditch as a target man on a number of occasions. I always felt we rather squandered his potential in the end.
[Post edited 4 Feb 2021 8:32]

Since Robson left nearly 40 years ago on 08:48 - Feb 4 with 1226 viewsnodge_blue

Since Robson left nearly 40 years ago on 08:31 - Feb 4 by Herbivore

Bent was already pretty well established when Royle came in to be fair, so he can't be given much credit for that. Most of the others, aside from Richards and Westlske, were mostly bit part players under Royle and neither Westlske or Richards really pushed on and developed. The others got more game time later in Royle's rein after we'd sold players off so his hand was forced. I always felt Royle wasn't sure how to develop the youngsters, I remember him attempting to utilise Bowditch as a target man on a number of occasions. I always felt we rather squandered his potential in the end.
[Post edited 4 Feb 2021 8:32]

Maybe. But neither Westlake or Richards were really that good. Neither went on to do anything of note after Ipswich. Nor did Bowditch. So Royle probably saw that and couldn't develop them hat much.

Given I've remembered how poorly Lyalls side did in the PL I'm coming down to only one manager in 40 years whose teams have excited me and thats Burley.

It was a joy to see Holland, Dyer (who was fantastic at that age) and Magilton in the midfield 3. A premiership midfield in a championship side. With Johnson and Stewart up front later.

The season when we finished third with Royle was close.

But other than that?

Login to get fewer ads

Since Robson left nearly 40 years ago on 08:53 - Feb 4 with 1215 viewsHerbivore

Since Robson left nearly 40 years ago on 08:48 - Feb 4 by nodge_blue

Maybe. But neither Westlake or Richards were really that good. Neither went on to do anything of note after Ipswich. Nor did Bowditch. So Royle probably saw that and couldn't develop them hat much.

Given I've remembered how poorly Lyalls side did in the PL I'm coming down to only one manager in 40 years whose teams have excited me and thats Burley.

It was a joy to see Holland, Dyer (who was fantastic at that age) and Magilton in the midfield 3. A premiership midfield in a championship side. With Johnson and Stewart up front later.

The season when we finished third with Royle was close.

But other than that?

At least we've reached the point where it's now managers that you enjoyed watching rather than managers that took us forward. If that was only Burley the that's fair enough. His was the most consistently enjoyable spell, bar the last 15 months of it which were pretty tough to watch as it all started to unravel. I've enjoyed spells under Lyall, Royle, and Mick as well. Not for as sustained a period as Burley's first 5 or so years here, but they've given me some decent memories too.

Since Robson left nearly 40 years ago on 09:07 - Feb 4 with 1205 viewsnodge_blue

Since Robson left nearly 40 years ago on 08:53 - Feb 4 by Herbivore

At least we've reached the point where it's now managers that you enjoyed watching rather than managers that took us forward. If that was only Burley the that's fair enough. His was the most consistently enjoyable spell, bar the last 15 months of it which were pretty tough to watch as it all started to unravel. I've enjoyed spells under Lyall, Royle, and Mick as well. Not for as sustained a period as Burley's first 5 or so years here, but they've given me some decent memories too.

Im still going to say that Burley took us forward in the same way Eddie Howe took Bournemouth forward.

If its truly based on when managers left and success then its no one?

Since Robson left nearly 40 years ago on 09:27 - Feb 4 with 1190 viewsHerbivore

Since Robson left nearly 40 years ago on 09:07 - Feb 4 by nodge_blue

Im still going to say that Burley took us forward in the same way Eddie Howe took Bournemouth forward.

If its truly based on when managers left and success then its no one?

I just don't see how you can make that argument. Burley took over when we were in the Prem and left us bottom half of the second tier and on the brink of administration. Howe took over Bournemouth in the third or fourth tier, took them to the Prem, and left them in the Championship. You have to take into account where Burley left us, you can't just base it on his best years and ignore how it ended.

I disagree that it's none. I don't see any argument that Mick didn't take us forward, given what he inherited versus where we ended up. You didn't enjoy it but that's a different argument altogether. Lyall also took us forward.

Since Robson left nearly 40 years ago on 09:40 - Feb 4 with 1185 viewsWeWereZombies

Since Robson left nearly 40 years ago on 22:45 - Feb 3 by Herbivore

Of those three only Lyall took us forward really. Burley took over in the top flight (albeit doomed) and left us bottom half in the Championship. Some great times in between and he got the academy ticking to, but he left us on the verge of administration and in a not very good way ultimately. And I say that having loved Burley.

Royle left us in more or less the same position he found us but with a much weaker squad. Arguably neglected the youth set up. Hard to make a case that he took us forward.

Mick improved us and took us forward, imo. He inherited a shambles that was bottom of the league and left a decent Championship squad. We had more academy players coming through too when he left than when he joined. I appreciate that view won't sit well with some.

I think the blame for the administration should fall on Sheepshanks shoulders rather than Burley's. Not that Sheepshanks was a villain but he did not respond quickly enough to changing conditions, and I think his head got turned by the elevated company he was keeping when we got promoted to the extent that he influenced some of the transfers and left Burley with a squad that was not entirely of his own choosing.

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

Since Robson left nearly 40 years ago on 09:45 - Feb 4 with 1178 viewspatrickswell

This has been an interesting thread. What I think is unarguable when comparing post Robson managers is that we’ve not seen such consistent poor performance from managers until Evans starting employing them. Bobby Ferguson could come under that banner as well, albeit with a caveat of what was going on around him, but the one thing which links Keane, Jewell, Hurst and Lambert is the sense of a club on the slide and consistent runs of on-pitch failure.
Since Robson left nearly 40 years ago on 09:46 - Feb 4 with 1171 viewsHerbivore

Since Robson left nearly 40 years ago on 09:40 - Feb 4 by WeWereZombies

I think the blame for the administration should fall on Sheepshanks shoulders rather than Burley's. Not that Sheepshanks was a villain but he did not respond quickly enough to changing conditions, and I think his head got turned by the elevated company he was keeping when we got promoted to the extent that he influenced some of the transfers and left Burley with a squad that was not entirely of his own choosing.

Is that right that Sheepy signed players Burley didn't want? I don't disagree that blame for administration falls also (and mainly) at Sheepy's door. Redeveloping both stands and spending like we were an established Prem side after one good season was a mistake. We were also victims of circumstance with the collapse of ITV Digital and with it the TV money for second tier sides. Parachute payments were miniscule compared to today. That said when looking at whether managers took us forward you have to look at the brute facts, and it's hard to make a case that Burley ultimately took us forward when you look at where he left us. I'd happily have his time here over again in a heartbeat though.

Since Robson left nearly 40 years ago on 09:49 - Feb 4 with 1168 viewsHerbivore

Since Robson left nearly 40 years ago on 09:45 - Feb 4 by patrickswell

This has been an interesting thread. What I think is unarguable when comparing post Robson managers is that we’ve not seen such consistent poor performance from managers until Evans starting employing them. Bobby Ferguson could come under that banner as well, albeit with a caveat of what was going on around him, but the one thing which links Keane, Jewell, Hurst and Lambert is the sense of a club on the slide and consistent runs of on-pitch failure.

John Duncan was always the benchmark for me for poor managers at Town. We've had four that have surpassed him out of the five that ME has appointed. What a state.

Since Robson left nearly 40 years ago on 09:49 - Feb 4 with 1169 viewsRadlett_blue

Since Robson left nearly 40 years ago on 09:40 - Feb 4 by WeWereZombies

Sheepy gave a manager who had taken the club to 5th in the PL some money to spend. Our wage bill remained one of the lower ones in the PL. The problem was GB bought the wrong players & destroyed the team, having up until then done a superb job of team building.
What I would criticise Sheepy for was redeveloping both stands. I thought that was a mistake at the time, but he was seduced by the idea of "securitisation" was a means of cheap finance.

Since Robson left nearly 40 years ago on 10:05 - Feb 4 with 1163 viewsIPS_wich

I'd rank our Managers since Robson thus:

- Burley 1995-2001
- Lyall
- McCarthy 2012-2016
- Ferguson
- Royle
- Duncan (who I honestly thought would be the worst manager I would ever see managing us)
- Magilton
- McCarthy 2016-18
- Burley 2001-2002 (only this high due to Inter Milan and that run post-Christmas in the Prem)
- Keane (and it shows what dross is to come that he gets this high)
- McGiven
- Jewell
- Hurst
- Lambert

Hurst may have killed our club, but Lambert has proceeded to close the lid on the coffin, pour the petrol on it, set it on fire and is now piSSing on the ashes.
Since Robson left nearly 40 years ago on 10:17 - Feb 4 with 1150 viewsWeWereZombies

Since Robson left nearly 40 years ago on 10:05 - Feb 4 by IPS_wich

- Burley 1995-2001
- Lyall
- McCarthy 2012-2016
- Ferguson
- Royle
- Duncan (who I honestly thought would be the worst manager I would ever see managing us)
- Magilton
- McCarthy 2016-18
- Burley 2001-2002 (only this high due to Inter Milan and that run post-Christmas in the Prem)
- McGiven
- Jewell
- Hurst
- Lambert

Hurst may have killed our club, but Lambert has proceeded to close the lid on the coffin, pour the petrol on it, set it on fire and is now piSSing on the ashes.

Surely if Lambert closed the lid on a coffin the next thing that would happen would be that the undead corpse would push the lid open, jump out and run the length of the pitch tapping a wildly optimistic through ball into Town's undefended goal?
[Post edited 4 Feb 2021 10:20]

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

Since Robson left nearly 40 years ago on 10:25 - Feb 4 with 1142 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Since Robson left nearly 40 years ago on 08:24 - Feb 4 by Herbivore

You should really have said in your OP that you've only enjoyed the football under 2 or 3 managers since Robson left. That would have been more accurate.

The Eddie Howe comparison doesn't work for Burley since Howe took Bournemouth up from the third tier (possibly fourth?) and left them in the Championship as a much bigger club. Burley took over in the Prem and had some success and then left us in the bottom half of the Championship on the brink of administration. Objectively, he didn't take us forward over the entirety of his time here. He gave us some good times along the way some very good times in fact, but look at where he ultimately left us. It wasn't really forward from where he took over.

Again, you may not have liked Mick's football but objectively he took us toward. He interited a bottom of the table side packed full of loans and short term signings, very little coming through the youth team. He left a solid midtable squad with good players like Webster and Waghorn, Bart and Knudsen both off at the World Cup, and a clutch of talented youngsters that he'd blooded sensibly. That's the definition of taking us forward.

You say it can't be argued against that Mick took us forward. I'd disagree. Mick had us treading water. Don't get me wrong, he was very good at that, but I expected us to get relegated without him because he got the best out of players who weren't really good enough. I was right, without him we did get relegated.

That 'treading water' wasn't sustainable, so that's not taking us forward. He took us slightly forward in terms of what he inherited, but not much in reality. And the football certainly wasn't taking things forward - that was very much backwards.

Burley did take us massively forward. I think it's unfair to say he took over in the Prem. Barely! We were adrift and on the way down; that can't be put at Burley's door. In reality he took over a top half champ side and after year-on-year improvement he got us up, and up to 5th. Things went wrong but they weren't entirely his fault. Administration certainly wasn't his fault - that was half Sheepy for building the stands and half the collapse of the TV money.

Yes, if you take it literally on league position of when they took over and when they left, then you are right. But I think it's a lot more nuanced than that. Mick didn't leave a mid-table champ team, they just seemed that way because he got them grinding out results through super-negative football that enabled us to scrape and scrap into mid-table. It was a false position. We weren't comfortable there.

Trust the process. Trust Phil.

Since Robson left nearly 40 years ago on 10:29 - Feb 4 with 1140 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Since Robson left nearly 40 years ago on 10:05 - Feb 4 by IPS_wich

- Burley 1995-2001
- Lyall
- McCarthy 2012-2016
- Ferguson
- Royle
- Magilton
- McCarthy 2016-18
- McGiven
- Jewell
- Hurst
- Lambert

How you can have Keane two spots above Jewell is a mystery. Keane fecked us over royally and left Jewell to try and fix it on less money than Keane spent. There's no way Duncan's above Magilton either.

Since Robson left nearly 40 years ago on 10:36 - Feb 4 with 1127 viewsRadlett_blue

Since Robson left nearly 40 years ago on 10:25 - Feb 4 by The_Flashing_Smile

You say it can't be argued against that Mick took us forward. I'd disagree. Mick had us treading water. Don't get me wrong, he was very good at that, but I expected us to get relegated without him because he got the best out of players who weren't really good enough. I was right, without him we did get relegated.

That 'treading water' wasn't sustainable, so that's not taking us forward. He took us slightly forward in terms of what he inherited, but not much in reality. And the football certainly wasn't taking things forward - that was very much backwards.

Burley did take us massively forward. I think it's unfair to say he took over in the Prem. Barely! We were adrift and on the way down; that can't be put at Burley's door. In reality he took over a top half champ side and after year-on-year improvement he got us up, and up to 5th. Things went wrong but they weren't entirely his fault. Administration certainly wasn't his fault - that was half Sheepy for building the stands and half the collapse of the TV money.

Yes, if you take it literally on league position of when they took over and when they left, then you are right. But I think it's a lot more nuanced than that. Mick didn't leave a mid-table champ team, they just seemed that way because he got them grinding out results through super-negative football that enabled us to scrape and scrap into mid-table. It was a false position. We weren't comfortable there.

Mick inherited a poor squad & there was a good chance Jewell would have got us relegated. He made us hard to beat & gradually took us from mid table to promotion challengers, despite having very little money. Yes, the club was stagnating & some of Mick's last 2 seasons were a hard watch. But again that was largely down to an inability to compete in terms of wages & Mick was finding bargains harder to come by & the squad was also ageing & deteriorating.

Since Robson left nearly 40 years ago on 10:37 - Feb 4 with 1129 viewsIPS_wich

Since Robson left nearly 40 years ago on 10:29 - Feb 4 by The_Flashing_Smile

How you can have Keane two spots above Jewell is a mystery. Keane fecked us over royally and left Jewell to try and fix it on less money than Keane spent. There's no way Duncan's above Magilton either.

Mainly because of Jewell's policy of filling the team with loanees - I just didn't feel like I was watching my team - no matter how good or bad they were.

I found it hard to place Duncan, because at the time I was a teenager and just felt horribly let down. But he did - in hindsight - build a squad that Lyall only had to tinker with to get us up. And bizarrely, Duncan had a better win % than Robson, only marginally less than Burley and 10% higher than Magilton.
[Post edited 4 Feb 2021 10:38]
Since Robson left nearly 40 years ago on 10:43 - Feb 4 with 1119 viewsHerbivore

Since Robson left nearly 40 years ago on 10:25 - Feb 4 by The_Flashing_Smile

Disagree.

Since Robson left nearly 40 years ago on 10:53 - Feb 4 with 1112 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Since Robson left nearly 40 years ago on 10:36 - Feb 4 by Radlett_blue

Mick inherited a poor squad & there was a good chance Jewell would have got us relegated. He made us hard to beat & gradually took us from mid table to promotion challengers, despite having very little money. Yes, the club was stagnating & some of Mick's last 2 seasons were a hard watch. But again that was largely down to an inability to compete in terms of wages & Mick was finding bargains harder to come by & the squad was also ageing & deteriorating.

He didn't really turn us into a promotion-contending team. We scraped into the last play-off spot once and didn't remotely look like we'd win them. It was an outlier.

Since Robson left nearly 40 years ago on 10:56 - Feb 4 with 1109 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Since Robson left nearly 40 years ago on 10:37 - Feb 4 by IPS_wich

Mainly because of Jewell's policy of filling the team with loanees - I just didn't feel like I was watching my team - no matter how good or bad they were.

I found it hard to place Duncan, because at the time I was a teenager and just felt horribly let down. But he did - in hindsight - build a squad that Lyall only had to tinker with to get us up. And bizarrely, Duncan had a better win % than Robson, only marginally less than Burley and 10% higher than Magilton.
[Post edited 4 Feb 2021 10:38]

It's a reasonable point that Jewell was worse at moving us forward re the loans. But I'd argue he only did that because Keane had already fecked us over.

All of Duncan's games were in the second tier, so it's hardly fair to compare him with Robson (or indeed Burley).

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024