Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
England 1990. 12:18 - Feb 20 with 961 viewsBluespeed225

Just watching England v Cameroon on ITV4. The alcoholic haze of that night has masked just how @*cking lucky we were that game! They battered us!
England 1990. on 12:32 - Feb 20 with 904 viewsFtnfwest

Certainly were. The pen on 85 minutes is the only one in all my years that I couldn’t watch as I knew if lineker didn’t score it that would be it. Pass from the gods by gazza for the winning pen though.
England 1990. on 12:32 - Feb 20 with 900 viewsParisBlue

Howard Wilkinson's scouting report on them concluded it was "as good as a bye"

Italia 90 was one of the best world cups. Right from the first game and Cameroon Vs Argentina. Never tire of seeing this.

Libraries gave us power
Poll: Which position in the table will we be after Saturday?

England 1990. on 12:37 - Feb 20 with 872 viewsgainsboroughblue

I quit my job (mainly evenings) as a 17 year old to watch that World Cup. My first foray into the pub drinking football atmosphere. Asking for ID wasn't such a common theme back then.

Argentina were woeful in that tournament. Still to this day, I don't know how they made that final.

Poll: Favourite Norwich Relegation?

England 1990. on 12:45 - Feb 20 with 834 viewscatch74

England 1990. on 12:37 - Feb 20 by gainsboroughblue

I quit my job (mainly evenings) as a 17 year old to watch that World Cup. My first foray into the pub drinking football atmosphere. Asking for ID wasn't such a common theme back then.

Argentina were woeful in that tournament. Still to this day, I don't know how they made that final.

Just too young to sneak in the pub - but very fond memories of watching the Cameroon game with my dad.

Poll: Who are the Numbskulls?

England 1990. on 12:50 - Feb 20 with 822 viewsRadlett_blue

England 1990. on 12:32 - Feb 20 by ParisBlue

Howard Wilkinson's scouting report on them concluded it was "as good as a bye"

Italia 90 was one of the best world cups. Right from the first game and Cameroon Vs Argentina. Never tire of seeing this.

Most English people's view of Italia 90 is very rose tinted by the fact that England had some decent players (& a proper manager) & did far better than expectations. Overall, it was a very poor tournament.
A record low of 2.2 goals/game & many teams played defensively in the k/o stages, hoping for extra time & penalties. This led to the change in the back pass law.
The poor 24 team format, with 6 3rd place teams qualifying from their groups, spawned a hugely negative group stage, especially with only 2 points for a win.
A then record 16 red cards & plenty of dreadful tackling, notably by Argentina & Cameroon.
The worst final i have seen, involving the cynical Argentina, who scored only 5 goals in the entire tournament.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

England 1990. on 12:52 - Feb 20 with 817 viewsbluelagos

Posted this before - really good insight into Italia 90 from a fans perspective. In the days before following England was fashionable. Think we only had around 2000 fans at the semi final.

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

England 1990. on 12:55 - Feb 20 with 798 viewsLord_Lucan

82 was my big World Cup as it was the first WC I could appreciate with a beer - not that they had TV's in pubs in those days

86 passed me by in many ways although I was obviously still glued to the box, I remember watching Linekers hat trick on my lunch break and I watched the Argentina game in The Haven.

1990 was something else though, probably because of Sir Bob as I always put club before country but Bob made it special.

We were very lucky throughout really, could easily have lost against Cameroon or Belgium but we sort of clicked in the semis and were desperately unlucky. Whoever won that game were certs for the cup as Argentina were a one man band and Butcher would have taken Maradonnas knee off within 10 seconds of the whistle.

I watched that game in Spuds on the docks - complete with a sand flooring and surfboards for tables. Loved that place.

After the game the town got booted in which I never understood as it wasn't really the CO-OPs fault.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

England 1990. on 13:00 - Feb 20 with 774 viewsChrisd

I watched the re-run back in the summer and for all the romanticism of us doing so well in that competition, the Cameroonians gave us a footballing lesson in that quarter final. We were just fortunate that we were more clinical than them at key times. Even against Belgium in that first round of knock out games we were fortunate, didn't they hit the post a couple of times?

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

Login to get fewer ads

England 1990. on 13:02 - Feb 20 with 768 viewsChrisd

England 1990. on 12:32 - Feb 20 by Ftnfwest

Certainly were. The pen on 85 minutes is the only one in all my years that I couldn’t watch as I knew if lineker didn’t score it that would be it. Pass from the gods by gazza for the winning pen though.

It was a brilliant pass, like a thread being passed through the eye of a needle.
[Post edited 20 Feb 2021 13:24]

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

England 1990. on 14:01 - Feb 20 with 679 viewsgainsboroughblue

England 1990. on 12:55 - Feb 20 by Lord_Lucan

82 was my big World Cup as it was the first WC I could appreciate with a beer - not that they had TV's in pubs in those days

86 passed me by in many ways although I was obviously still glued to the box, I remember watching Linekers hat trick on my lunch break and I watched the Argentina game in The Haven.

1990 was something else though, probably because of Sir Bob as I always put club before country but Bob made it special.

We were very lucky throughout really, could easily have lost against Cameroon or Belgium but we sort of clicked in the semis and were desperately unlucky. Whoever won that game were certs for the cup as Argentina were a one man band and Butcher would have taken Maradonnas knee off within 10 seconds of the whistle.

I watched that game in Spuds on the docks - complete with a sand flooring and surfboards for tables. Loved that place.

After the game the town got booted in which I never understood as it wasn't really the CO-OPs fault.

There was trouble all over the country that night. A weird kind of simultaneous reaction. Ipswich was one of the places that made the main news (possibly mainly due to the SBR link) as well as Grantham (Thatcher's birthplace). I think I'm right in saying some guy got badly done in Brighton for driving a BMW.

Poll: Favourite Norwich Relegation?

England 1990. on 14:08 - Feb 20 with 661 viewsSteve_M

Maradona's pass to Caniggia against Brazil was one of the highlights of the tournament.

I loved Italia 90 from Cameroon's epic start through to Argentina's meltdown in the final. I know all the stats that Radlett rightly quotes but it was still really enjoyable.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

England 1990. on 14:09 - Feb 20 with 660 viewsHerbivore

England 1990. on 12:50 - Feb 20 by Radlett_blue

Most English people's view of Italia 90 is very rose tinted by the fact that England had some decent players (& a proper manager) & did far better than expectations. Overall, it was a very poor tournament.
A record low of 2.2 goals/game & many teams played defensively in the k/o stages, hoping for extra time & penalties. This led to the change in the back pass law.
The poor 24 team format, with 6 3rd place teams qualifying from their groups, spawned a hugely negative group stage, especially with only 2 points for a win.
A then record 16 red cards & plenty of dreadful tackling, notably by Argentina & Cameroon.
The worst final i have seen, involving the cynical Argentina, who scored only 5 goals in the entire tournament.

Agree with this. It's the first World Cup I can really remember and with England doing well it felt special but actually a lot of the games were really turgid. Not many spectacular performances to be had really. Great players and great sides were lacking really, Maradona played of course but wasn't at his absolute best, it was one of the weakest Brazil sides in history, Italy's standout player was a Poundland Kevin Phillips. I'll always remember the tournament fondly, but it was pretty sh1te objectively. It had the best music though.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024